RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Pac-12 2021-2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 30126



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/31/21 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
I’m just sad that I’m practically 10 minutes from the Idaho border, and I’m STILL 10 hours away driving from Pullman. Rude.


Lots of SPACE out here.


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 30126



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/31/21 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So Oregon picks up a game against Carrol (MT) a D2 or NAIA team.


Stormeo



Joined: 14 Jul 2019
Posts: 3588
Location: Seattle, WA


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/31/21 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
So Oregon picks up a game against Carrol (MT) a D2 or NAIA team.

Confused At that point, just conduct a modified team scrimmage instead. Playing a D-II opponent helps you how?



_________________
These days you can find me on WBBDaily
GEF34



Joined: 23 Jul 2008
Posts: 13857



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/31/21 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
myrtle wrote:
So Oregon picks up a game against Carrol (MT) a D2 or NAIA team.

Confused At that point, just conduct a modified team scrimmage instead. Playing a D-II opponent helps you how?


There are many things you can get from playing another team that you can't get from playing yourselves. It gives the opportunity to try different rotations, go against different types of defense, get practice running your offenses and defenses who don't know what you expect and don't know your plays like your own players do.


Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 14099
Location: OREGON (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/31/21 10:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

^^This^^. Yeah, it's not top tier competition, but it's probably a good idea to see how your rehabbed roster is prepped for the 'tough' competition. (I do believe PaoPao, Sabally and Rogers are making their returns)



_________________
Oregon: Go Ducks!
"Inévitablement, les canards voleront"
Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 14099
Location: OREGON (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/02/22 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
(I do believe PaoPao, Sabally and Rogers are making their returns)


....and indeed they DID. Cool

Rogers played the most minutes of anybody (23), with none playing less than 12, including Sabally and PaoPao who each scored double digits in their 12 minutes as they handily defeated NAIA Carrol U of MT.

This may have been mentioned earlier in the thread, but if not, I thought it was most interesting to see that 4 of the 5 highest ranking recruitment classes in the country for next season are PAC 12 teams.



_________________
Oregon: Go Ducks!
"Inévitablement, les canards voleront"
ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 13538



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/14/22 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know the conference season is still early, but judging by the current situation it's hard to recall a preseason ranking as far off the mark.
Well at least they got #1 right.

Is UCLA the biggest surprise at this point?

Stormeo wrote:
Media selects preseason 2021-22 Pac-12 Women’s Basketball All-Conference Team; Stanford unanimous league favorite

2021-22 PAC-12 WOMEN'S BASKETBALL PRESEASON MEDIA POLL

1. Stanford
2. Oregon
3. UCLA
4. Oregon State
5. Arizona
6. Washington State
7. Colorado
8. Arizona State
9. USC
10. Utah
11. Washington
12. California


Coyotes



Joined: 28 Jan 2018
Posts: 1058



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/14/22 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I know the conference season is still early, but judging by the current situation it's hard to recall a preseason ranking as far off the mark.
Well at least they got #1 right.

Is UCLA the biggest surprise at this point?

Stormeo wrote:
Media selects preseason 2021-22 Pac-12 Women’s Basketball All-Conference Team; Stanford unanimous league favorite

2021-22 PAC-12 WOMEN'S BASKETBALL PRESEASON MEDIA POLL

1. Stanford
2. Oregon
3. UCLA
4. Oregon State
5. Arizona
6. Washington State
7. Colorado
8. Arizona State
9. USC
10. Utah
11. Washington
12. California


They’ve gotten 11 and 12 right too. Oregon is still positioned well to be second, they’ve only lost to Stanford. It’s really hard to judge the current standings because of all the cancellations. We’ll know more once we have more data. I think UCLA is definitely an outlier but that’s mainly because of how many injuries they’ve had. It remains to be seen who or what exactly Colorado does.


Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 14099
Location: OREGON (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/14/22 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Is UCLA the biggest surprise at this point?


Personally, I find Colorado's position the be the most surprising. Oregon St. is also 'off' most expectations. But....like the "The arc of the moral universe"....full conference play should make "justice" come to pass. Cool



_________________
Oregon: Go Ducks!
"Inévitablement, les canards voleront"
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 30126



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/14/22 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In general, it feel like a down year for the PAC.

Not sure why it would be a surprise that UCLA is struggling...in addition to their covid issues. They lost the centerpiece of their team to the W and lost a key post at the beginning of the year to an ACL, plus the transfer they were expecting to be their starting PG has yet to play. Depth has never been their strength. I still expect them to finish toward the top of the PAC. They have a great recruiting class coming in so that should translate to depth next year...though I guess that depends on if some of their seniors can come back for another year.

Colorado is a mirage since they haven't played anybody yet. That will change tonight. I will be surprised if Hollingshed has another career game against the Trees, but it's possible. She will need help from Sherrod and a few others plus Stanford to shoot for shit in order to keep their undefeated status.

Arizona came within a hair's breadth to losing to OrSU last night, and the Beavs were without their starting center. They are really not that good. Their main claim to fame is beating Louisville early in the season.

Oregon will be a real team with their starters back if they can stay injury free the rest of the way.

I expected Wazzou to be better this year. If only they had a good post with size. But Charlisse is also having a sophomore slump of sorts. Her % have just gone down the toilet.

Anyway the bottom 5 of that preseason poll should turn out to be there at season's end.

I expect only two teams in the top 25 poll at season's end, though a third may sneak in at number 20 something.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 58281



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/14/22 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Colorado is a mirage since they haven't played anybody yet. That will change tonight.


You wished they were a mirage last year.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jc4I11rOGdk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And the year before, Stanford should have lost this game.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/U6c58MSHh_0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think the biggest mirage is Stanford being ranked #2 after losing to both Texas and USF. They’ve been given that championship team benefit of a doubt, a huge one at that.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 30126



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/14/22 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not sure why you like to hate on Stanford but it seems to be your modus [shrug]. Enjoy!

I don't think Stanford deserves #2 either and I don't think they're as good as they were last year. One of the issues is that there aren't really any other teams that deserve to be #2 either. I do think that the loss at Colorado last year deserves an asterisk for several reasons. If the Buffs can do that again, I can only tip my hat to them. I doubt if Stanford goes unbeaten in conference this year. Then they will drop down someplace closer to reality in the polls.

The loss to Texas is pretty much inexcusable. The loss to USF however came in the middle of three games in three days sandwiched between beating Indiana and Maryland. What other team in the country would run that gauntlet unscathed? Tara tried to rest her starters and it didn't work. In a normal schedule I think Stanford would beat USF 8 or 9 times out of 10.


linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 4722



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/15/22 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Not sure why you like to hate on Stanford but it seems to be your modus [shrug]. Enjoy!

I don't think Stanford deserves #2 either and I don't think they're as good as they were last year. One of the issues is that there aren't really any other teams that deserve to be #2 either. I do think that the loss at Colorado last year deserves an asterisk for several reasons. If the Buffs can do that again, I can only tip my hat to them. I doubt if Stanford goes unbeaten in conference this year. Then they will drop down someplace closer to reality in the polls.

The loss to Texas is pretty much inexcusable. The loss to USF however came in the middle of three games in three days sandwiched between beating Indiana and Maryland. What other team in the country would run that gauntlet unscathed? Tara tried to rest her starters and it didn't work. In a normal schedule I think Stanford would beat USF 8 or 9 times out of 10.


Got to defend UConn's former conference partner. There are 8 PAC12 teams ranked lower than USF on Massey. Are you saying that your conference has only 3 teams that you don't beat with your eyes closed? Arrogance will give you wrinkles.
USF was also playing their 2nd game out of 3 in a row. I watched the game and your team tried to win, believe me. Very Happy

Edit: It was a rested USF team that beat the Trees. Funny how Stanford wasn't tired the day before and even more surprising that they weren't fatigued in the 3rd game in 3 days? Very Happy




Last edited by linkster on 01/15/22 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
undersized_post



Joined: 01 Mar 2021
Posts: 1891
Location: midwest


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/15/22 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Got to defend UConn's former conference partner. There are 8 PAC12 teams ranked lower than USF on Massey. Are you saying that your conference has only 3 teams that you don't beat with your eyes closed? Arrogance will give you wrinkles.
USF was also playing their 2nd game out of 3 in a row. I watched the game and your team tried to win, believe me. Very Happy


False.

South Florida's last game was 4 days prior and their next game wasn't until 6 days later.

You are mistaking the Battle 4 Atlantis with the Baha Mar Hoops Pink Flamingo Championship.


linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 4722



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/15/22 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

nm


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin