RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Prospects that Hurt/Helped Themselves Going Back to School

View previous topic :: View next topic  
okstateguy

PostPosted: 01/12/22 5:11 pm    ::: Prospects that Hurt/Helped Themselves Going Back to School Reply Reply with quote

Between last-year seniors who used their extra year of eligibility and now seniors who were draft eligible as juniors, who do you think hurt or helped themselves by going back to school?

PostPosted: 01/12/22 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kayla Wells pops out to me for some reason .

PostPosted: 01/12/22 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I see Evina Westbrook as someone that probably hurt herself by coming back. Based on stats this year, she should've went pro last year in a weaker draft

PostPosted: 01/12/22 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

okstateguy wrote:
I see Evina Westbrook as someone that probably hurt herself by coming back. Based on stats this year, she should've went pro last year in a weaker draft

______ X

PostPosted: 01/13/22 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Potential 1st Round Picks:

Khayla Pointer's stock is definitely up. She's a legitimate 1st or 2nd Team All American candidate this year.

Shakira Austin's numbers are slightly down but I don't think it has changed her stock at all. She's still a high draft pick and probably benefits from another year of being a go to player in the SEC.

Lorela Cubaj has helped her stock. Offense still isn't quite there but she's getting more exposure than she did a year ago.

Westbrook is the obvious one where it's hurting her so far. In preseason it looked like she'd lose out on some playing time due to Fudd, but now with Fudd/Bueckers out plus other players transferring out, she has been given a great opportunity to shine and just hasn't. I still see listed high on several draft lists though.

Dorka Juhasz is also down, although she's playing better as of late.

Players who were unlikely to make a roster had they declared:

Mya Hollingshed's stock is probably the same at this point.

Anastasia Hayes stock I'd imagine will go up if she keeps the same numbers in SEC play. Unlikely to make a roster though IMO.

Kayla Wells is probably up even though A&M is struggling. Still unlikely to make a roster.

Alexis Morris could be drafted this year but wasn't on anyone's radar a year ago, so hers is up.

Worth noting: Charli Collier went 1st, but I think she'd be better prepared for the league had she stayed an extra year in Austin.

With 20/20 hindsight, I do think Onyenwere, McDonald, Dungee, and Didi Richards all made the right call to go pro.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/13/22 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballnut901 wrote:

Khayla Pointer's stock is definitely up. She's a legitimate 1st or 2nd Team All American candidate this year.

Shakira Austin's numbers are slightly down but I don't think it has changed her stock at all. She's still a high draft pick and probably benefits from another year of being a go to player in the SEC.

Lorela Cubaj has helped her stock. Offense still isn't quite there but she's getting more exposure than she did a year ago.

Westbrook is the obvious one where it's hurting her so far. In preseason it looked like she'd lose out on some playing time due to Fudd, but now with Fudd/Bueckers out plus other players transferring out, she has been given a great opportunity to shine and just hasn't. I still see listed high on several draft lists though.

Anastasia Hayes stock I'd imagine will go up if she keeps the same numbers in SEC play. Unlikely to make a roster though IMO.

Kayla Wells is probably up even though A&M is struggling. Still unlikely to make a roster.

Alexis Morris could be drafted this year but wasn't on anyone's radar a year ago, so hers is up.

Worth noting: Charli Collier went 1st, but I think she'd be better prepared for the league had she stayed an extra year in Austin.

With 20/20 hindsight, I do think Onyenwere, McDonald, Dungee, and Didi Richards all made the right call to go pro.

No she does not and she will not . Coach yo has already stated they know Shakira is gone after this season . Staying in the SEC would only hurt her Chances at a lottery pick with next years draft having Boston , Jones , Possibly Bueckers and Tamari Key . Although the WNBA does not pay millions being a lottery pick is better than being picked outside the top 5 when it comes to a rookie salary .

PostPosted: 01/13/22 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
bballnut901 wrote:

No she does not and she will not . Coach yo has already stated they know Shakira is gone after this season . Staying in the SEC would only hurt her Chances at a lottery pick with next years draft having Boston , Jones , Possibly Bueckers and Tamari Key . Although the WNBA does not pay millions being a lottery pick is better than being picked outside the top 5 when it comes to a rookie salary .

I meant she benefits by playing this season (2021-22) instead of going pro after last year.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/13/22 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballnut901 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
bballnut901 wrote:

I meant she benefits by playing this season (2021-22) instead of going pro after last year.

Ahh sorry your correct !! Cool

PostPosted: 01/13/22 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Que Morrison and Jenna Staiti are having a good year for Georgia so far. Jenna might have made a WNBA roster this year, but may do better after this college year. I think Que bettered her chances of making a WNBA roster next year by staying in the SEC this year - better shooting this year.

I don't know if Mikayla Coombs and Malury Bates will stick with Georgia for the 2022-2023 season or try for the WNBA at the end of this season. Of the two of them, Mikayla probably has a better chance at making a WNBA roster...

Last edited by SPD on 01/13/22 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
root_thing

PostPosted: 01/13/22 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Actually, about a month before the draft, Mississippi announced that Austin's birth date was misstated, so she was never eligible last year. All the mock draft people just got faked out. Smile

PostPosted: 01/13/22 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SPD wrote:
Que Morrison and Jenna Staiti are having a good year for Georgia so far. Jenna might have made a WNBA roster this year, but may do better after this college year. I think Que bettered her chances of making a WNBA roster next year by staying in the SEC this year - better shooting this year.

I don't know if Mikayla Coombs and Malury Bates will stick with Georgia for the 2022-2023 season or try for the WNBA at the end of this season. Of the two of them, Mikayla probably has a better chance at making a WNBA roster...

Que Morrison should be a first rd pick . High end the next Kahleah Copper low end Essence Carson. Both are still effective players for championship teams. I like Morrison she’s improved every year and defends like a dog.

PostPosted: 01/13/22 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Actually, about a month before the draft, Mississippi announced that Austin's birth date was misstated, so she was never eligible last year. All the mock draft people just got faked out. Smile

Yeah no Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 01/14/22 12:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Yeah no Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Would have been fun if she made the U19 team in 2019 or the U18 team in 2018 and other countries later tried to figure out if she was allowed on the team or not.
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 01/14/22 1:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
SPD wrote:

Que Morrison should be a first rd pick . High end the next Kahleah Copper low end Essence Carson. Both are still effective players for championship teams. I like Morrison she’s improved every year and defends like a dog.

I like Que Morrison as well, perfect landing spot would be Atlanta at #14, they need defenders and have a decent amount of open roster spots.

root_thing

PostPosted: 01/14/22 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

I haven't been paying attention to Morrison. What's the deal with her height and position? Georgia has her listed at 5-7 and she's leading the team in assists by a wide margin. That suggests Morrison is a point guard. Just in case Que's height was misstated, I checked HoopGulz and Prospects Nation to see how she was listed coming out of high school. They both had her at 5-8. OK, that's not far off. Que does look bigger than Chapman, who is also supposed to be 5-7, and at times looks bigger than Coombs at 5-9. So, I'm confused. Maybe Morrison just projects bigger -- like maybe she has a wide frame for her height?

PostPosted: 01/14/22 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We really need a combine for this stuff. Just let them measure everybody with the same equipment.

PostPosted: 01/14/22 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

I haven't been paying attention to Morrison. What's the deal with her height and position? Georgia has her listed at 5-7 and she's leading the team in assists by a wide margin. That suggests Morrison is a point guard. Just in case Que's height was misstated, I checked HoopGulz and Prospects Nation to see how she was listed coming out of high school. They both had her at 5-8. OK, that's not far off. Que does look bigger than Chapman, who is also supposed to be 5-7, and at times looks bigger than Coombs at 5-9. So, I'm confused. Maybe Morrison just projects bigger -- like maybe she has a wide frame for her height?

Yeah Morrison seems way taller than what they have her listed as or maybe she just plays bigger. She's actually playing SG/PG for Georgia right now. She's normally playing off the ball but in the 2nd half they move her to lead ballhandler. Her offensive game is what has impressed me with improvement. Her freshmen year she could not hit the side of a barn. Now she's slicing and dicing and knocking down shots like Copper.

PostPosted: 01/14/22 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
We really need a combine for this stuff. Just let them measure everybody with the same equipment.

Ugh how i miss the old days of the WNBA draft Combine Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: 01/14/22 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

Concur!

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 01/14/22 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

A WNBA combine. Music to my ears!

PostPosted: 01/15/22 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd also say Vivian Gray has hurt her stock by coming back.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: