RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Creighton @ #11 Connecticut - 1/09/22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 01/09/22 1:51 am    ::: Creighton @ #11 Connecticut - 1/09/22 Reply Reply with quote

Storrs, CT - 1:00 PM ET
TV: SNY (Allen Bestwick, Meg Culmo)

Video stream:
http://stream.nbcsports.com/rsn/sny (CT, NY, NJ, PA)
https://www.foxsports.com/live/ (tvpli)

Audio:
https://thevarsitynetwork.com/audioapplink/source/university-of-connecticut-:oas-1502

Live stats:
http://www.statbroadcast.com/events/statmonitr.php?gid=conn

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 01/09/22 3:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/09/22 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn sort of leads at the 1H in a sort of interesting game between two sort of good teams.
linkster

PostPosted: 01/09/22 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After 3 periods the teams are a combined 7-33 from 3.

Crying or Very sad

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/09/22 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bad basketball from both sides . Ducharme continues to be the bright spot. Geno may have found something there. When Paige returns I think he should make Williams the 6th man off the bench and keep Ducharme in the line up .

PostPosted: 01/09/22 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn looks like a team that is down to 6.5 players and hasn't had a game or been able to even scrimmage for 2 weeks.

Looks like Ducharme is taking over as the primary outside scorer.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/09/22 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn starts four players; Westbrook doesn't seem to count for anything except turnovers.

UConn was Brobdingnag vs. Lilliput, but Lilliput got more rebounds and more points in the paint. Creighton also had a more active, cutting, sophisticated offense. They might have won if they had pressed and pressured UConn's guards more.

Freshman Ducharme UConn's best player again. Freshman DeBerry still can't get a minute.
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/09/22 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
UConn starts four players; Westbrook doesn't seem to count for anything except turnovers.

UConn was Brobdingnag vs. Lilliput, but Lilliput got more rebounds and more points in the paint. Creighton also had a more active, cutting, sophisticated offense. They might have won if they had pressed and pressured UConn's guards more.

Freshman Ducharme UConn's best player again. Freshman DeBerry still can't get a minute.

Buuuut they preach she’s developed ten times since transferring Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 01/09/22 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Buuuut they preach she’s developed ten times since transferring Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

My theory about Westbrook and some others, and indeed, Tennessee under Holly, is that basically, Holly was a decent enough coach, but she exerted no control over her players whatsoever. She just basically let them do what they wanted both on and off the court, which was what ultimately led to the self-destruction of the team and her firing. Westbrook is a player who doesn't have a lot of self-discipllne, IMNSHO, and needed a coach who would make her toe the line and be part of a team. She's very strong-willed and wants things her way. I question whether Geno has the will to make her straighten up and fly rigth any more. He's used to having players who want so badly to come there that they will do anything to play. Evina isn't one of those.
YMMV and probably does.

PostPosted: 01/09/22 6:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Freshman DeBerry still can't get a minute."

All pregame info said she wasn't really ready to play; she was the "1/2" player that got UConn to 8 dressed. The expectation was that she would NOT play due to recovery.

linkster

PostPosted: 01/09/22 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Speebs56 wrote:
"Freshman DeBerry still can't get a minute."

All pregame info said she wasn't really ready to play; she was the "1/2" player that got UConn to 8 dressed. The expectation was that she would NOT play due to recovery.

Mühl was the half player, limited to 15 minutes. She played 17. DeBerry just came off a COVID list. She was suited to have 7 in case of an emergency.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 01/09/22 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Caroline reminds me of Ann Strother in all the best ways, in particular in her tendency to be in the right place at the right time.

Muhl entered the game and immediately shoved every opposing player in her vicinity. Then get angry at the refs. I missed her.

That looked like the Aaliyah from last year. Hoping she continues. If all is well, Dorka and AE will be the closing time Posts.

PostPosted: 01/09/22 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Westbrook has had some very good games for UConn, but then she'll disappear for all or parts of other games like this entire one. Much like Williams and Nelson-Ododa. In fact, everyone except Bueckers is too much of an inconsistent scorer and contributor. If they are all "on", or at least five of them, UConn is dominant. But that rarely happens with this team.
linkster

PostPosted: 01/09/22 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Westbrook has had some very good games for UConn, but then she'll disappear for all or parts of other games like this entire one. Much like Williams and Nelson-Ododa. In fact, everyone except Bueckers is too much of an inconsistent scorer and contributor. If they are all "on", or at least five of them, UConn is dominant. But that rarely happens with this team.

UConn will be a much more cohesive and dynamic team next year. And maybe we won't have to wait that long. Wink

mercfan3

PostPosted: 01/09/22 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

I think the other reality is she's not a natural point guard, and that has messed with her confidence.

Of the seniors, she was most consistent in big games last season. Williams would have a superstar game every once in a while, but Westbrook was almost always solid. (Where Williams would have her stinkers too)

PostPosted: 01/10/22 7:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i have never wanted a UCONN player to graduate as much as i do c. williams, and for whatever reason Geno refuses to bench her.

i feel bad having this opinion, but she has just regressed way too much.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/10/22 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
i have never wanted a UCONN player to graduate as much as i do c. williams, and for whatever reason Geno refuses to bench her.

i feel bad having this opinion, but she has just regressed way too much.

She has not improved or been the same player since her first game freshmen season where she dropped 28 on ND. The bar was set high and she's fallen WELL below expectations of a #1 recruit IMO. Westbrook , Williams & Walker were all ranking incorrectly . Not #1 recruit worthy

PostPosted: 01/10/22 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, at least, America's Team is back playing...

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 01/10/22 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ducharme could be a superstar on BEast teams. Whether she can improve enough to be a competent cog on an elite team remains to be seen, if she ever is lucky enough to play on one.

I abandoned this senior class last year. At the end of the season it appeared Williams may make me eat my words, but, alas, she has reverted to form.

Things to me feel nearly as bad as 2005, but with the excuse of injury. My expectation is that, even if PB returns to 90%, the final result will be very similar, even in a remarkably down year in the sport. (You call it parity; I see mediocrity).

So, I hope that the latest recruit, KK Arnold, will be the actual real good PG UConn has lacked since Jefferson departed. Arnold, Bueckers, Ducharme, Patterson, Brady....

...a fan can dream.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 01/10/22 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does anyone know whether UConn had a shot at getting Cordoso before she went with SC?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: