RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Chicago Sky 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PUmatty

PostPosted: 12/29/21 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Candace had herself a huge 2021, but I'd be interested to know what the criteria were for this award.

In what way? Marriage and child not being part of athletics, she was the third-best player on a fluky championship team (one I was rooting for, but still fluky). She wasn't an Olympian, she wasn't the best player on her own team, she wasn't an MVP, she wasn't particularly close to the top of her own league - let alone all of women's athletics.

Last edited by PUmatty on 12/29/21 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 12/29/21 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Simone Biles was a runner up... So clearly performance wasn't criteria as much as their newsworthiness? Katie Ledecky was also a runner up. To be honest, I paid little attention to the Olympics this year but it's cool that a W player got the distinction in an Olympic year... while not being on Team USA.

Skyfan22

PostPosted: 12/29/21 11:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This was a huge story for the W. That might be one reason she was considered. As a long suffering Sky fan that the closest they’ve come to a championship since their inception in 2006 is a drubbing at the hands of the Mercury/Evil Empire (calling them that for the sake of a good story, and not just my personal beliefs.). She left a team that was supposed to be and was great just a couple seasons prior. She was voted most overrated and benched inexplicably during a single elimination playoff loss. She goes home and makes a team that has not one a playoff series since the scandalous departure of EDD. Speaking of which, she changes the fortunes of team that only has an exit door for stars and superstars. Also, they gobbled into the playoffs and came away the unquestionable best team I. Knocking out multiple teams that weee thought to have a chance at the trophy including the heavy favorite. There journey was stacked against them by the playoff format. Yet they won. And as they kept moving through game after game it felt like destiny. Seems like a feel good story of success for women’s sports on about a thousand different levels making for the player of the year ripe for coming from the W.

Now as to her specific performance. Candace is amazing. I think she does so much that people fail to see all that she does. Sort of like Catchings. Unlike Taurasi who just scores, scores, gets whiny and cheap shots players and then scores some more. Candace does it all. Scores, assists, defends, rebounds, coaches on the floor, refocuses the team when they fall behind in the last game, convinced them they can win. I mean defensively the Sky stopped 2 post driven teams because Candace is so savvy and with such high basketball IQ that one doesn’t see just how much effort into the process. Her achievements can also include helping others improve. I think both Azura and Kahleah credited Parker at some point for their play. Some things are not so subtle. Their 4th quarter run to catch up stalls, and what finally gets them over the hump? Candace decides she’s gonna take and knock down a 3. More examples? Brianna Turner and Griner come into the finals after spanking can age and WILSON, what does CP3do? Have her way with Turner for 4 games. And what was the Sky’s record during Candace’s sprain? 1 and 6? And yet they talked about how deep the Sky were during the semis and finals. Seems like she’s the Engine that makes the Sky go.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 12/30/21 2:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Candace had herself a huge 2021, but I'd be interested to know what the criteria were for this award.

In what way? Marriage and child not being part of athletics, she was the third-best player on a fluky championship team (one I was rooting for, but still fluky). She wasn't an Olympian, she wasn't the best player on her own team, she wasn't an MVP, she wasn't particularly close to the top of her own league - let alone all of women's athletics.

Just to be clear, with the bolded part I meant overall in terms of 2021 being extremely eventful for her, both on and off the court combined. I did not mean in terms of having such an individually dominant year in her sport that people would compare it to the best of the best of all the other sports and her season would still come out on top.
Thus my wondering what the criteria were for this particular award.

PostPosted: 12/30/21 9:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

Someone’s upset Laughing Laughing . Geno is that you? Arrow Arrow

PostPosted: 12/30/21 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I was not a fan of the trade - why would we want a whiny, stamina-lacking diva on the team? By the end of the season, however, I had to begrudgingly give the woman her props. It wasn't her best year (many times, I had the same level of anxiety when she shot that I had for Diamond), but she clearly contributed a lot of intangibles. Having championship experience was one of the things she was able to bring.

I've read a number of articles and seen video interviews that, to summarize, indicated that there were a number of forces working to get her here. Chicago's mayor was asked to help. She texted regularly with the VanderQuigs. Apparently she was the one who suggested that the Sky go after Wade, and he committed once he knew that Sloot and Quigley would stick around. And of course, Derek Fisher, who had one job - to re-sign Parker - failed miserably.

I saw a change in her overall demeanor this year - subtle at first, but more obvious down the road as she truly became a team player in ways I hadn't seen before. I still am in shock that we are the champions! She was that missing piece.

Many props to Ann Crosby, (our longtime Strength and Conditioning Coach), and Bria Adams, the Head Athletic Trainer, who apparently were able to figure out how Parker could avoid the pattern of not being able to play consecutive games well.

PostPosted: 12/30/21 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChiSky54, I think you articulated the "whys" for the AP award quite well. This was a phenomenal year for CP. Most of us still can't believe that not only did the Sky win, but they demonstrated the "playing well at the right time" and "post season is a new season" mantras as they mowed through the playoffs. They went from mediocre to 1st in the same season and are the first team to go from middle of the pack through all elimination rounds to championship. The W champions have typically been the best teams (ranked 1 or 2) all year (and when we had conferences, the Western conference team was basically the sure winner). Coach Wade and some of the players articulated time and time again that CP was the missing piece and while folks believed it at the beginning of the season, doubts set in quickly....but my goodness, they did it!

Coming home and winning after everything...(the doubts, the criticism, etc.) ... the leadership she demonstrated...the confidence she helped instill is the stuff of legends. Of course, the award wasn't solely about on court activities and it wouldn't necessarily have been for Naomi, Simone or Katie either..., everything else that was happening for her off the court, e.g., shoes, covers, apparel line, rising broadcast career, that Adidas "Ace" commercial (which made this whole thing feel like a promise fulfilled), her marriage and new bundle on the way, her activities as a business woman, podcasting...I have no idea how she does all of this. Many would say that she is the most visible and well known female basketball player of this time. People who don't know women's bball, know who she is and she has helped redefine and model what a female athlete can do and be.

My hat is off to her and I'm just waiting for the 30 for 30! Laughing

Btw, Ann Crosby truly is an unsung hero. I kept thinking who is that? A coach? A trainer? From the front office? She looks like she is doing everything! Cool

Skyfan22

PostPosted: 12/30/21 10:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:
ChiSky54, I think you articulated the "whys" for the AP award quite well. This was a phenomenal year for CP. Most of us still can't believe that not only did the Sky win, but they demonstrated the "playing well at the right time" and "post season is a new season" mantras as they mowed through the playoffs. They went from mediocre to 1st in the same season and are the first team to go from middle of the pack through all elimination rounds to championship. The W champions have typically been the best teams (ranked 1 or 2) all year (and when we had conferences, the Western conference team was basically the sure winner). Coach Wade and some of the players articulated time and time again that CP was the missing piece and while folks believed it at the beginning of the season, doubts set in quickly....but my goodness, they did it!

Coming home and winning after everything...(the doubts, the criticism, etc.) ... the leadership she demonstrated...the confidence she helped instill is the stuff of legends. Of course, the award wasn't solely about on court activities and it wouldn't necessarily have been for Naomi, Simone or Katie either..., everything else that was happening for her off the court, e.g., shoes, covers, apparel line, rising broadcast career, that Adidas "Ace" commercial (which made this whole thing feel like a promise fulfilled), her marriage and new bundle on the way, her activities as a business woman, podcasting...I have no idea how she does all of this. Many would say that she is the most visible and well known female basketball player of this time. People who don't know women's bball, know who she is and she has helped redefine and model what a female athlete can do and be.

My hat is off to her and I'm just waiting for the 30 for 30! Laughing

Btw, Ann Crosby truly is an unsung hero. I kept thinking who is that? A coach? A trainer? From the front office? She looks like she is doing everything! Cool

+1 to this and the prior post. Wanna also +1 the shout out to Ann Crosby. She has been around longer to my knowledge than any of the coaching staff. Always a hard worker with positive words. Happy to hear her getting kudos.

Skyfan22

PostPosted: 01/07/22 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So does the re-signing of Sue Bird increase the likelihood of my favorite all-time player staying with my 2nd favorite team!!! So hoping the Sky will be the first team to win back-to-back titles since LA! Again this year I will be okay with the Wings ending runner-up to the Sky!!

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 01/07/22 9:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skyfan22 wrote:
So does the re-signing of Sue Bird increase the likelihood of my favorite all-time player staying with my 2nd favorite team!!! So hoping the Sky will be the first team to win back-to-back titles since LA! Again this year I will be okay with the Wings ending runner-up to the Sky!!

HAHA...I posted something similar on instagram. The first thought of hearing of Bird's decision was the strong possibility of Sloot not playing in her home state.

Laughing

Chicago is still in a pickle cap wise. Confused Wade is going to have to pull off a miracle.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 01/08/22 12:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chicago can manage their salary cap situation if they can convince their two best players to sign up in the salary range of $196,000 to $200,000 dollars. Now if these players believe they deserve supermax salaries then Chicago will be constricted for sure.
My main question for the 2022 free agency period is how many teams would be willing to offer that supermax salary to the players that they want 🤔?

PostPosted: 01/18/22 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

doesn't copper have an announcement to make today?

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 01/18/22 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
doesn't copper have an announcement to make today?

yeah... maybe it was before she knew was going to get cored? Question Question

lynxmania

PostPosted: 01/24/22 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/rachgall/status/1485718650455740421?s=21

Quote:
Belgian legend and WNBA champion Ann Wauters is expected to be named assistant coach for the Chicago Sky sources tell @justwsports

PostPosted: 01/24/22 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
https://twitter.com/rachgall/status/1485718650455740421?s=21

Quote:
Belgian legend and WNBA champion Ann Wauters is expected to be named assistant coach for the Chicago Sky sources tell @justwsports

Haha. I legit read that as her joining the team as a player and was blown away by her longevity. Did she retire from international play?

Also, is there a connection here? Surprised she isn't getting brought in to Washington as an incentive for Meeseman.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/24/22 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

James Wade worked in Europe for a long time on some big teams. Probably crossed paths at some point.

PostPosted: 01/24/22 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
James Wade worked in Europe for a long time on some big teams. Probably crossed paths at some point.

She was also a player on the 2016 Sparks championship team, so she has experience with CP and Coach Edwards, as well. I've seen a few people hoping she can get Emma to come over to Chicago. (I'm thinking Emma isn't planning to play in the W this year or was it just Washington....hmmm). We shall see!

Shades

PostPosted: 01/31/22 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Meesseman, it is.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/chicago-sky-and-wnba/2022/1/31/22910921/sky-emma-meesseman-agree-to-terms-wnba

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/31/22 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Meesseman, it is.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/chicago-sky-and-wnba/2022/1/31/22910921/sky-emma-meesseman-agree-to-terms-wnba

Definitely an upgrade from Dolson .

PostPosted: 01/31/22 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

Yep!

Apparently hiring Ann Wauters may have been the best hire for the Sky this off season Laughing

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/31/22 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Yep!

Apparently hiring Ann Wauters may have been the best hire for the Sky this off season Laughing

Agreed because i could not imagine Messeman leaving thibault without a regular known presence so this move was all but for sure to aquire Messeman imo. Will she show this season since with WC time ? She trained with them all last season after and before the olympics . Im sure thibault got tired of the herky jerk show up one year dont the next year blah blah.

PostPosted: 01/31/22 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's kind of wild looking back at the Delle Donne trade. Meeseman was not on the table for Washington at all and now Chicago eventually got her.

root_thing

PostPosted: 01/31/22 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:

Reminds me of Ohio State hiring Kelsey Mitchell's father and giving her sister a scholarship.

PostPosted: 01/31/22 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great signing for the Sky. Now Sloot will be back for sure and probably Allie aswell

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant

Last edited by Michelle89 on 01/31/22 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 01/31/22 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
It's kind of wild looking back at the Delle Donne trade. Meeseman was not on the table for Washington at all and now Chicago eventually got her.

Everybody hated that trade for Chicago but it worked out pretty well.
Now Chicago will have two WNBA Finals MVP’s and Washington will have none. #TearsForThibault

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 4 of 12

Jump to: