RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

C. Vivian Stringer's Reflection on Christine Grant's Passing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
undersized_post

PostPosted: 01/04/22 12:41 pm    ::: C. Vivian Stringer's Reflection on Christine Grant's Passing Reply Reply with quote

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sports/college/columnists/chad-leistikow/2022/01/04/c-vivian-stringer-shares-emotional-letter-impact-death-christine-grant-iowa-womens-basketball-ncaa/9079190002/

Christine Grant is the former Iowa Women's AD who hired both CVS and Lisa Bluder. She was instrumental in fighting for a full and fair implementation of Title IX. Definitely worth a read -- especially CVS's ~1000 word statement, which is reprinted in full at the end of the article. A quote:

Quote:
I then asked Christine how she would handle it if I had an all-Black team, not that I intended to recruit an all-Black team, but my Cheyney State team was all-Black. Christine said, “Oh, Vivian, that doesn’t matter. What matters is that girls are getting an opportunity to play sports and get a paid education.”
I chose to go to the University of Iowa because Christine truly demonstrated that she cared about me as a person, not just as a coach. She cared about my family and our well-being and comfort in Iowa City.... There would not be a Vivian Stringer if there was not a Christine Grant. She was perfect for me. She allowed me to have a voice as a young woman. All I wanted as a coach was to be supported and encouraged, and Christine Grant was my biggest supporter.... Christine was a coach’s dream. Sometimes players refer to a coach as a “players' coach.” Well, Christine was a “coaches’ athletic director." Christine was the most fair-minded athletic director that a coach could hope to have.

For more, here's Voepel's ESPN article from a few days ago:

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/32970872/christine-grant-title-ix-pioneer-long-iowa-women-athletic-director-dies-85

PostPosted: 01/05/22 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great stuff, and too few of us are even aware of this kind of pioneering effort.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: