RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn 2021-22 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/19/21 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
I think that Brenda does have a point -- and I'm not sure how you go about dispersing the media more fairly.

That's not going to change as long as ESPN has a virtual monopoly on WCBB coverage and ESPN coverage is effectively controlled by 2 or 3 of their people.

That's not a recipe for broadening coverage.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/19/21 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
if no one was reading about them, you can be very sure there would not be multiple articles.

Not entirely true. The coverage is in the hands of so few people and UConn is the easy/lazy thing to cover, and meanwhile they know they won't lose readers because there are no alternatives and they're the only game in town. If you want to read WCBB stories you read whatever ESPN deigns to cover or you don't read at all.

I've never seen any indication from ESPN that they have any concern for or interest in growing the game.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/19/21 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
The ACC and SEC networks has a tendency to hype up and make cases for why their best players should be considered for NPOY awards.

NO conference network has as narrow a focus or specializes in self-promotion as much as the Big Ten Network.

Regardless of the sport, if you only watched the BTN, you'd hardly know anyone outside the Big Ten even fielded a team.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 12/22/21 8:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Geno in Fort Wayne to watch recruit Ayanna Patterson.

https://www.wane.com/high-school-sports/legendary-coach-geno-auriemma-in-fort-wayne-takes-in-homestead-game/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 02/03/22 7:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

if deberry doesn't get at least 20 minutes against 1-win butler, i think she's gone after this year. no dorka or paige still and some post players showing absolutely nothing and she cannot get a lick.

robertoclementeforever

PostPosted: 02/04/22 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
if deberry doesn't get at least 20 minutes against 1-win butler, i think she's gone after this year. no dorka or paige still and some post players showing absolutely nothing and she cannot get a lick.

The Butler Game has been Postponed due to weather travel issues. Should be a forfeiture since they could have left earlier to minimize the disruption of a Storm everyone new was coming!

Not sure what's going on with Amari DeBary but her failure to thrive is a concern.

robertoclementeforever

PostPosted: 02/04/22 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:

The Butler Game has been Postponed due to weather travel issues. Should be a forfeiture since they could have left earlier to minimize the disruption of a Storm everyone new was coming!

Not sure what's going on with Amari DeBary but her failure to thrive is a concern.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/04/22 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

robertoclementeforever wrote:
snlMINAJ wrote:

Transfer ticket?

PostPosted: 02/04/22 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

deberry wasn't a top 10 recruit (#15 I think) so why would she ever get on the floor? Very few that are not top 10 ever get playing time at UConn. Just the way it is.

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 02/04/22 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

its just crazy to me that the coaching staff seems to give PT based on 'favoritism' (i don't know the word i am looking for) but deberry very simply could not have been worse the edwards in some of the games this season. and you mean to tell me you need to practice well to play. or the players need to grasp what's going on in practice to play.

so guards who can't pass is what they're practicing then? this is just embarrassing for UConns program history.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/09/22 10:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

guess y'all better hope some of those injured bodies get healed by tournament time. It's not looking so good ITM. And I'm still wondering why Deberry has zero minutes. I thought she showed promise in a game I saw earlier. If I were her, I would be heading for the transfer portal.

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 02/10/22 6:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm worried for the same, re: deberry.

but i think the point is UConn will be healthy come tournament time. paige, caroline and ONO are all expected back by then.

bballnut901

PostPosted: 02/10/22 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
guess y'all better hope some of those injured bodies get healed by tournament time. It's not looking so good ITM. And I'm still wondering why Deberry has zero minutes. I thought she showed promise in a game I saw earlier. If I were her, I would be heading for the transfer portal.

Same. Something's up if she's only played in 6 games this year for a grand total of 43 minutes considering all of the injuries and how underwhelming Edwards has been this year.

ucbart

PostPosted: 02/10/22 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
deberry wasn't a top 10 recruit (#15 I think) so why would she ever get on the floor? Very few that are not top 10 ever get playing time at UConn. Just the way it is.

I obviously have 0 insider knowledge, but a few things:

*In the times we've seen DeBarry, she is absolutely lost on defense. She doesn't move all that fast and I think the speed of the college game has really hindered her.
*I saw a video with the male practice players. They said she is the most underrated player on the team and that she has one of the prettiest shots for a player her size.
*Through these injuries, the one sort of constant, has been our post play. You can't take ONO, Dorka, or Alliyah out and put Amari in when the trouble has been guard play.
*I don't think I've ever seen a bench player with more enthusiasm and love for her team like DeBarry. You can tell on the bench she loves her team and is a great teammate.
*Her skillset is evident, but she isn't ready for primetime, IMO.
*Geno has stated she is the most skilled big we've had enter UCONN since Stewie.
*I don't think she is going anywhere and I think she will make a massive sophomore leap, if she wants it bad enough.

robertoclementeforever

PostPosted: 02/16/22 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I obviously have 0 insider knowledge, but a few things:

*In the times we've seen DeBarry, she is absolutely lost on defense. She doesn't move all that fast and I think the speed of the college game has really hindered her.
*I saw a video with the male practice players. They said she is the most underrated player on the team and that she has one of the prettiest shots for a player her size.
*Through these injuries, the one sort of constant, has been our post play. You can't take ONO, Dorka, or Alliyah out and put Amari in when the trouble has been guard play.
*I don't think I've ever seen a bench player with more enthusiasm and love for her team like DeBarry. You can tell on the bench she loves her team and is a great teammate.
*Her skillset is evident, but she isn't ready for primetime, IMO.
*Geno has stated she is the most skilled big we've had enter UCONN since Stewie.
*I don't think she is going anywhere and I think she will make a massive sophomore leap, if she wants it bad enough.

UCBart:

I think your observations are spot on. I would add that I think Geno got off on the wrong foot with her early on. For being such an elite athlete, Amari does not exude the seriousness about the GAME that Geno is accustomed to with his typical recruits. Apparently, as the story goes, Geno approached a happy and effusive DeBary and asked her if she liked to play basketball or was she a basketball player. Her response did not allay his concerns about her commitment or lack thereof, and she hasn't played a minute since.

As you point out, Amari's enthusiasm and love for her teammates is sincere and truly authentic. I know her mates have her back. With ONO, Paige and Ducharme sitting on the bench, it seems unconscionable that Amari hasn't been seeing significant playing opportunities, particularly with the erratic play of Edwards.

Hopefully, this will resolve itself to the benefit of all involved in due course.

I, for one, want to see Amari succeed and thrive in a UCONN uniform.

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 02/16/22 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Has there been any estimate on the return of Caroline or ONO? Seems like all the injuries this season are top secret information.

linkster

PostPosted: 02/16/22 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
its just crazy to me that the coaching staff seems to give PT based on 'favoritism' (i don't know the word i am looking for) but deberry very simply could not have been worse the edwards in some of the games this season. and you mean to tell me you need to practice well to play. or the players need to grasp what's going on in practice to play.

so guards who can't pass is what they're practicing then? this is just embarrassing for UConns program history.

Yeah, it's been the UConn way of coaching for 37 years now. It's a wonder Geno kept his job. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

linkster

PostPosted: 02/16/22 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bueckers observed today (Wed) working with the starting team.

"Now is the winter of our discontent
Made glorious summer by this daughter of of Minnesota
And all the clouds that lour'd upon our house
In the deep bosom of the ocean buried."

Smile

robertoclementeforever

PostPosted: 02/17/22 12:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ThreeBall25 wrote:
Has there been any estimate on the return of Caroline or ONO? Seems like all the injuries this season are top secret information.

Ducharme has been subject to the Concussion Protocol and ONO has a groin injury. Ducharme is expected to be available for Friday's game against Xavier and ONO is listed as day to day. Paige is indeed rehabbing with the Team although still with a brace and won't be cleared to play until she's able to go at 100 %.

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 02/17/22 6:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
snlMINAJ wrote:

Yeah, it's been the UConn way of coaching for 37 years now. It's a wonder Geno kept his job. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

so if you need to practice well to play - so we are to believe williams and edwards and westbrook practice phenomenally but disappear when it comes to games?

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/17/22 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

robertoclementeforever wrote:
ThreeBall25 wrote:

Ducharme has been subject to the Concussion Protocol and ONO has a groin injury. Ducharme is expected to be available for Friday's game against Xavier and ONO is listed as day to day. Paige is indeed rehabbing with the Team although still with a brace and won't be cleared to play until she's able to go at 100 %.

thanks for the update. hopefully they'll all be healthy soon. I hate injuries!

linkster

PostPosted: 02/17/22 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ONO's groin is the most problematic. Seems fairly common among MLB players and they tend to hang around.

As far as Bueckers it was reported that before the press were allowed into practice she had done some work without the brace. It's a conservative process of introducing movements and then waiting to see how her leg responds. So far it's all been steps forward.

The return date was uncertain but the best guess was it wouldn't be GTown(2-20) since that was Senior Day, but the schedule now has Providence as the S Game so maybe GTown for a few minutes but more likely Sun vs Marq. It's on CBSSN. UConn played coy with Fudd's return and I wouldn't be shocked if the same is true of Bueckers' rehab. I don't think she will put herself in until she is 100% of herself. These games are just not that important.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/21/22 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bueckers Won’t Return From Knee Injury During Regular Season

https://www.si.com/college/2022/02/21/paige-bueckers-uconn-wont-return-knee-injury-regular-season

Quote:
Bueckers could return for the Big East tournament, though her status is still in doubt for those contests

PostPosted: 02/21/22 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I did not think so. I suspect her return during the tournament may be about as likely as Jordan Horston's.

PostPosted: 02/21/22 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Bueckers Won’t Return From Knee Injury During Regular Season

https://www.si.com/college/2022/02/21/paige-bueckers-uconn-wont-return-knee-injury-regular-season

Quote:
Bueckers could return for the Big East tournament, though her status is still in doubt for those contests

They really have no reason to bring her in for the rest of the BEast games. All most unfortunate. I still think of how utterly, innocently *flukey* her injury was, and only wonder why there aren't more of them in our game.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: