RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

USSF no longer paying player salaries

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hawkeye

PostPosted: 12/14/21 12:01 am    ::: USSF no longer paying player salaries Reply Reply with quote

The allocation system is dead for USWNT players. USSF is no longer paying their salaries starting with the 2022 season. They will now sign directly with teams and supposedly have more flexibility with their club careers.

My question is how many will stay in NWSL and take the massive pay cut? Their USWNT salaries were around or above 100K a year. Unless the NWSL salary cap is raised dramatically, their salaries will be much lower. I can see a mass exodus to higher paying spots in Europe coming PDQ.

toad455

PostPosted: 12/15/21 7:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Depends on the sponsors and TV deal $$$ they're getting now. The expansion $$$ from Angel City, San Diego, Louisville & Kansas City will help. However, this cut-off from USSF has set-off rumors that MLS' Vancouver wants an expansion team now. Could see Vancouver, Oakland, Utah & Cincinnati as the next four expansion teams.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Hawkeye

PostPosted: 12/15/21 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Depends on the sponsors and TV deal $$$ they're getting now. The expansion $$$ from Angel City, San Diego, Louisville & Kansas City will help. However, this cut-off from USSF has set-off rumors that MLS' Vancouver wants an expansion team now. Could see Vancouver, Oakland, Utah & Cincinnati as the next four expansion teams.

Vancouver's has had its issues....I think they were denied before because they wanted a near-all Canadian team which would run afoul of the international slots, or something to that effect.

Getting back into Salt Lace City area and into the SF Bay Area should be high on the priority list if not the top. Cincinnati is a great spot as well as St. Louis. More teams are a good thing, but they just can't make the same mistake the WNBA did and expand too fast. The league needs to be measured in expansion and give the talent time to catch up to the league. After Angel City (ugh I HATE that name) and San Diego, I would like the league to not expand for at least 3 years. After that, two more, then 3 years minimum add in 2 more.

We shall see.

toad455

PostPosted: 12/16/21 8:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yeah, i think it would be best for the league to not expand in 2023, and let the WWC build up more momentum. But there's a lot of positives from the NWSL now. All 12 teams will be playing in brand new or soccer specific stadiums going forward. OL Reign just announced they'll be at Lumen field permanently starting in 2022. San Diego Wave will be at San Diego State's new stadium, SnapDragon Stadium, beginning in Sept. '22. Kansas City is building their own stadium, set to open by 2023, and will play at Children's Mercy Park in '22. Compared to the WNBA, all NWSL teams are playing in top tier stadiums.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: