RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#12 Iowa @ #15 Iowa State - 12/8/21

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
undersized_post

PostPosted: 12/08/21 10:54 am    ::: #12 Iowa @ #15 Iowa State - 12/8/21 Reply Reply with quote

Ames, IA - 7:00 PM ET
TV: ESPNU

Video:
https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/5fa06aa0-43f4-4e94-a73f-847084a109ed

Audio:
http://tun.in/pkPgU

Live Stats:
http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=374277

Last edited by undersized_post on 12/08/21 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
undersized_post

PostPosted: 12/08/21 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Went ahead and made a game thread so there would be a place to share this really nice article:

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/32794583/caitlin-clark-ashley-joens-why-iowa-iowa-state-knows-no-bounds

PostPosted: 12/08/21 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Went ahead and made a game thread so there would be a place to share this really nice article:

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/32794583/caitlin-clark-ashley-joens-why-iowa-iowa-state-knows-no-bounds

Quote:
Joens doesn't like to talk much about Iowa. Her father describes the recruiting process as this: The summer after her freshman season at Iowa City High, a year in which she earned all-state honors and was conference MVP, Joens was asked to attend Iowa's camp. She went to the camp, didn't hear anything from Iowa's coaches and wasn't offered a scholarship while numerous other Big Ten schools offered.
(Bluder) confirms that she did not offer the five-star recruit a scholarship.

"Recruiting is not a black-and-white scene," she said. "There are so many things involved in recruiting."

I've heard this possibly goes back to Courtney Joens (oldest Joens sister and Illinois WBB grad) being promised a future scholarship offer from Iowa and never receiving one, but I don't know how true that is. What is definitely true is there seems to be no love lost between Brian Joens and Coach Bluder. The Joens girls are wonderful people and great basketball players, and you can easily find plenty of people on Hawkeye message boards saying as much. But as mild-mannered as the Joens girls are, Brian is... not.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 12/08/21 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ooo, I hadn't heard that tidbit about the older sister.

What I've heard -- and this is all just speculation -- is that Bluder didn't offer Ashley because Brian's overbearing attitude was just a big red flag that the staff didn't want to deal with. But Brian's POV, as presented in this article, seems to be that he only became that way because Bluder declined to offer Ashley in the first place. Like, I wonder what Brian's tone of voice was when he said this to the reporter:

Quote:
"I said, 'Well, there's zero percent chance she plays at Iowa, because they've neglected her,'" Brian Joens said.

Anyway, there's definitely more to the story than is publicly known. And I do honestly feel a bit bad feeding the rumor mill. I'd imagine it would have to weigh on Ashley and Aubrey a bit knowing that their dad has such a... reputation.

What I do know is that, as an Iowa fan first and foremost, it's a shame that Ashley (and Aubrey too I guess) doesn't play for us. Her rebounding is exactly what this current Iowa squad so desperately needs to actually contend for a conference title and final four. And that's not even mentioning her versatile offensive skillset which would plug so well into Iowa's system. Twisted Evil

Win or lose, I just can't wait for this game to be over so I can wholeheartedly root for both teams throughout the rest of the season. Very Happy

PostPosted: 12/08/21 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:

What I do know is that, as an Iowa fan first and foremost, it's a shame that Ashley (and Aubrey too I guess) doesn't play for us. Her rebounding is exactly what this current Iowa squad so desperately needs to actually contend for a conference title and final four.

Ashley (9.4 rpg) and Aubrey (8.9 rpg) are leading ISU in rebounding by far. That's especially impressive when you realize that Aubrey wasn't gifted with Ashley's height -- she's only 5'8", 5 inches shorter than Ashley.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 12/08/21 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ISU leads 8-6 at the first media timemout. Crashing the offensive glass well -- no surprise.

PostPosted: 12/08/21 7:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ISU leads 19-17 after Q1. Iowa shooting 44% from the field, ISU just 35%. But Iowa has allowed them 7 extra possessions on a -4 offensive rebound margin and a -3 turnover margin.

PostPosted: 12/08/21 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

****News Flash****

This is gonna be a tight one!! (I hope) May your heart hold out, u_p! Very Happy

PostPosted: 12/08/21 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ISU leads 36-31 at half. ISU led by as much as 11 at one point, but Hawks made a little comeback at the end of the half. Czinano with only 2 points on 3 shots.

Iowa did manage to rebound better in the second quarter, but the shooting cooled off a bit.

Officiating has been incredibly poor IMO. Czinano was bodied literally every time she tried to post up, but somehow she ends the half with 3 fouls, and only 2 fouls call on ISU's entire trio of frontcourt players. ISU's PG Emily Ryan sat much of Q2 after picking up her third foul, most of them of the ticky-tacky sort. But other times Iowa drivers have been aggressively bodied going in for layups with no foul calls. It's the inconsistency...

Clark is barely into her second season and I'm already so tired of watching everyone who defends her flailing across the court every time she so much as breathes. When they are literally grabbing her as she tries to move without the ball. Rolling Eyes Onething I miss about the Gustafson days is that Megan didn't attract the same type of vitriol as Clark so you didn't see so much of those theatrics.

Feuerbach -- the sophomore who transferred to Iowa after having started most of ISU's games last season -- has been booed every time she checks into the game.

PostPosted: 12/08/21 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Update: One of Czinano's 3 fouls was instead assigned to Kate Martin. THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE TO KNOW SO SHE COULD HAVE BEEN IN THE FRICKIN GAME.

PostPosted: 12/08/21 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iowa goes on a 9-0 run to take a 45-43 lead at the Q3 media timeout.

PostPosted: 12/08/21 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Morgan Kane has been called for 2 fouls against Czinano in 6 minutes this quarter. But she didn't commit a single foul in the first half? Ok.

PostPosted: 12/08/21 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Beautiful shot by Clark to end the 3rd to cut States lead to 3

PostPosted: 12/08/21 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Buzzer beater 3-pointer for Clark at the end of Q3. ISU had retaken a lead again due to turnovers and bad rebounding by Iowa. ISU leads 57-54.

PostPosted: 12/08/21 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ISU leads by 9 with 4:30 to go. Czinano has been on the bench for Iowa with her 4th foul and the offense really dried up.

PostPosted: 12/08/21 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With 4 minutes left in the fourth quarter, ISU has had 14 FT attempts, Iowa just 4. ISU leads by 9.

Is it just my Iowa bias or do others have questions about how the game as been called? Honest question if anyone happens to be watching. Smile

PostPosted: 12/08/21 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Czinanoโ€˜s quick move to the basket is very reminiscent of Megan Gustafson.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 12/08/21 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I noticed the foul differential, but I didn't think the officiating was particularly uneven. If anything, I'd have called offensive fouls on Clark a couple of times for implanting her elbow in her defender's rib cage on the few occasions she tried to drive inside.

I rarely see these teams, so I have no dog in this hunt, but I thought it was a great game and a very different style of basketball compared to the SEC games I usually see.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 12/08/21 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Czinanoโ€˜s quick move to the basket is very reminiscent of Megan Gustafson.

Totally. Same post coach, same moves. I'm excited about Addison O'Grady's potential. I think she can become an efficient offensive post in the mold of Gustafson/Czinano, but actually has the height/length to be a rim protector on defense.

PostPosted: 12/08/21 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting game. Great to see a screaming packed house with no one wearing a mask other than the refs.

Ashley Joens' snaky, sneaky, head-fakey, body-jukey play all around the paint sort of reminds me of Nick "the Quick" Werkman of Seton Hall in the early 1960's, who is the 9th greatest PPG career scorer in NCAA1 history.
undersized_post

PostPosted: 12/08/21 9:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Great to see a screaming packed house with no one wearing a mask other than the refs.

I hope this was said in sarcasm.

PostPosted: 12/09/21 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I watched the last quarter and a half hoping to see my homie Maggie Vick but of course it was close so she didn't play. I spotted her on the sidelines though. It was a great game all around. Glad Iowa State won anyhow.

PostPosted: 12/09/21 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Great to see a screaming packed house with no one wearing a mask other than the refs.

I hope this was said in sarcasm.

From this poster, it almost certainly is not.

mred

PostPosted: 12/09/21 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
I watched the last quarter and a half hoping to see my homie Maggie Vick but of course it was close so she didn't play. I spotted her on the sidelines though. It was a great game all around. Glad Iowa State won anyhow.

If Maggie Espenmiller-McGraw had still been out, you likely would have seen her. Vick played 19 minutes vs LSU, because ISU had virtually no backcourt depth (due to Espenmiller-McGraw, Fritz, and Diew injuries) and had to play two posts some of the game. Fritz and Diew are still out, but Espenmiller-McGraw returned in ISU's game before Iowa (vs Longwood) for her first action since Jan 28th 2021.

Last edited by mred on 12/09/21 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
RavenDog

PostPosted: 12/09/21 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great game to watch...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: