RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#24 Notre Dame @ #2 Connecticut - 12/05/21
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win this game?
Notre Dame
43%
 43%  [ 7 ]
Connecticut
56%
 56%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 16

RavenDog

PostPosted: 12/05/21 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Absolute pure stupidity Geno! Why is Paige still in the game with less than 2 minutes left and up by 20? Pure stupidity! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

CBiebel

PostPosted: 12/05/21 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, congrats to UConn. ND is still a work in progress, but IMO we're getting there. You can see the improvement, but they still need some work. It hasn't helped that Westbeld has been in a bit of a funk the last few games (Only 4-8 shooting vs MSU, 5-15 vs OSU, and 6-15 vs UGA).

Hope Bueckers is okay. Unfortunately, the way she went down, it didn't look like it.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 12/05/21 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
Absolute pure stupidity Geno! Why is Paige still in the game with less than 2 minutes left and up by 20? Pure stupidity! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

He does this ALL the time. More important to run up the score than protect your starters or give your bench players some PT.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 12/05/21 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IF Bueckers is out for the season, that would probably be the biggest injury loss since Catchings in 2001, IMO. UConn is very much relying on her, just like UT was with Catchings.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/05/21 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
I’m really hoping that’s ankle and not knee…

Hopefully it's not serious, whatever it is

PostPosted: 12/05/21 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Samantha Brunelle was at one point rated at or in the conversation for #1 high school recruit. But she ended up at #6 on Hoopgirlz.
http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/rankings/_/class/2019

And now she comes off the Notre Dame bench. Played 12 minutes today.

SPD

PostPosted: 12/05/21 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Geno Auriemma says the doctors did a quick exam on Paige Bueckers... they'll now more later after her MRI.

"It looked like it probably hyperextended, best case scenario."

It's her knee, not the ankle. But nothing twisted (which would've been worse)"

https://twitter.com/alexaphilippou/status/1467577271208665089?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

UK1996

PostPosted: 12/05/21 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, what happened to Brunelle. Injuries? She looked like a really nice player her Freshman year. I remember a bunch of teams really anticipating her announcement.

SPD

PostPosted: 12/05/21 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UK1996 wrote:
Yeah, what happened to Brunelle. Injuries? She looked like a really nice player her Freshman year. I remember a bunch of teams really anticipating her announcement.

You're right - she's working to come back from injuries (knee and foot)

https://www.cbs19news.com/story/43048752/brunelle-working-back-to-full-strength-at-notre-dame

CBiebel

PostPosted: 12/05/21 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SPD wrote:
UK1996 wrote:

You're right - she's working to come back from injuries (knee and foot)

https://www.cbs19news.com/story/43048752/brunelle-working-back-to-full-strength-at-notre-dame

She's also been having back problems.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/05/21 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://theathletic.com/news/uconns-paige-bueckers-exits-vs-notre-dame-with-non-contact-knee-injury/h79rirpgXyje/

Quote:
Asked why Bueckers was still in the game, Auriemma said, "She never wants to come out. She's a pain in the ass to have on the bench cause all she does is complain about why she's not playing."

PostPosted: 12/05/21 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I may be in the minority here, but I don't think it is outrageous that she was still in the game. There is merit having your starting PG play a few minutes with your reserves at the 2 through 5 to help the scrubs get game experience with an actual leader on the floor. (I don't know who else was in at the time because I stopped watching a few minutes into the fourth quarter.)

At the same time, there is also merit to pulling your PG to have others gain experience running the point. Ideally a coach has opportunities to do both numerous times over the course of the season.

This is the kind of fluke injury that could happen at any point in a game or practice or even just out in the world. It is doubly unfortunate that it happen at the very end of a game.

PostPosted: 12/05/21 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I watched the video, and it looks like she hyperextended it. Our coach’s son did that last year, but that an even worse angle, about a week before the conference tournament. He had surgery in March, and has a one-year recovery period. Very similar to what NFL player Teddy Bridgewater did several years ago.

Last edited by Hoopsmom on 12/05/21 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 12/05/21 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
When asked why she was still on the floor even with Connecticut having a large lead, Auriemma was candid.

"I don't have an answer for why she was in the game," Auriemma said. "But yeah, I don't like our team without her on the court."

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/32796876/uconn-star-paige-bueckers-leaves-win-notre-dame-left-knee-injury

tfan

PostPosted: 12/05/21 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
https://theathletic.com/news/uconns-paige-bueckers-exits-vs-notre-dame-with-non-contact-knee-injury/h79rirpgXyje/

Quote:
Asked why Bueckers was still in the game, Auriemma said, "She never wants to come out. She's a pain in the ass to have on the bench cause all she does is complain about why she's not playing."

Geno is a pain in the ass too. Don't buy that he can't handle her complaints on the bench. Playing starters deep into blowouts is the modern way. Own it Geno.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 12/05/21 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:

His other options at PG are Westbrook and Nika. Westbrook has a history of knee injuries, and Nika is dealing with a foot injury.

It’s actually a pretty reasonable decision by Geno..

PostPosted: 12/05/21 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Once it was made clear in the press conference that the injury was to the left knee, the somewhat confusing tumble then looked to me like a hyperextension, exacerbated by her sneaker sliding forward on the floor.

Hyperextensions can be all sorts of severity from mild sprains to complete tears of the ACL and/or PCL, according to online medical sites.

Geno has played some starters to the end of blowouts regularly for years, and that practice has been regularly criticized for a variety of reasons by some fans. The most legitimate reason for that practice, to my mind, is having an experienced guard to lead and feed bench players during garbage time so that it does not devolve into completely disorganized, and hence non-instructional, garbage.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 12/05/21 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bueckers had played the whole game (39 mins). Fatigue is a contributing factor to a lot of sports injuries. Playing anyone for an entire game unnecessarily is not a great plan.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 12/05/21 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
RavenDog wrote:

His other options at PG are Westbrook and Nika. Westbrook has a history of knee injuries, and Nika is dealing with a foot injury.

It’s actually a pretty reasonable decision by Geno.

Um, what? Westbrook is a starter playing starter-type minutes, is currently non-injured, and has experience running an offense. Meanwhile, you have Bueckers who just got visibly injured. Now which player between those two has more of an injury risk specifically in those final two minutes? Neutral I can almost understand not wanting to play badly in the final two minutes even with the score being what it was, but Geno’s damn lucky Bueckers didn’t simply take one more step & injure her leg further, especially if her initial injury was of the non-contact variety.

UK1996

PostPosted: 12/05/21 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54

PostPosted: 12/05/21 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Understandably lost in the aftermath of Paige's injury ( Sad ), Ducharme had her first good game. All 14 points came in the 4th quarter, but Notre Dame didn't have scrubs in. I find it refreshing that she's aggressive and doesn't need to be told to shoot. That comes with its cost of freshman mistakes/turnovers, and there will need to be more discretion as she plays more (important) minutes, but I'd prefer this to what we seem to often get from UConn players, freshmen and upperclassmen alike: tentative, uncertain, passive.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 12/05/21 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
tentative, uncertain, passive.

Fearful of Daddy's scorn. Laughing Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 12/05/21 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:
tentative, uncertain, passive.

Fearful of Daddy's scorn. Laughing Twisted Evil

This made me very uncomfortable...well done Laughing Shocked Laughing

mercfan3

PostPosted: 12/05/21 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
RavenDog wrote:

It’s actually a pretty reasonable decision by Geno.

Um, what? Westbrook is a starter playing starter-type minutes, is currently non-injured, and has experience running an offense. Meanwhile, you have Bueckers who just got visibly injured. Now which player between those two has more of an injury risk specifically in those final two minutes? Neutral I can almost understand not wanting to play badly in the final two minutes even with the score being what it was, but Geno’s damn lucky Bueckers didn’t simply take one more step & injure her leg further, especially if her initial injury was of the non-contact variety.

Westbrook. Westbrook has the pretty sever injury history, and she’s the player you’d be more concerned about playing too much. Often she is on the Bench at the end of games.

Paige getting hurt this game doesn’t make it not a logical choice to have her in over Nika and Westbrook.

PostPosted: 12/05/21 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

People who say Geno leaves starters in to "run up the score" are morons.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: