RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#1 South Carolina vs #2 Connecticut - 11/22/21
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/22/21 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Just like last year, once UConn is forced into a half court game, their offense efficiency and sophistication plummets. If the other team clogs the middle and can outrebound UConn, the Huskies struggle and can be toast.

Did we ever once today see a UConn big get back-to-the-basket position and score with a post move over a defender? I think never. Or even a putback? The few post player baskets came via passes from off pick & rolls or dribble penetration passes/lobs, usually from Bueckers.

Given the players we have
, I think it's good that UConn bigs were not going back-to-the-basket to score. It's a shame that none of them have developed a or have trust in a post moves to make that a viable scoring option, though.

That was my point--that none of UConn's bigs have back-to-the-basket scoring moves except against tomato can defenders.

Stewart and Dolson both had great BTB moves and outside jump shots, so the high-low play for them was deadly. But when no one can effectively play BTB low, and the bigs are mostly 15-20 feet away from the basket in the high post with no effective jump shot from there, UConn's current bigs can't often enough contribute baskets and are also completely out of position to get offensive rebounds.

Some people argue that ONO had one of her best games today against South Carolina's paint power. But even I accepted that 6 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists and 5 blocks constitute a "best game" in basketball -- which I emphatically do not -- it just shows that the best game of ONO is simply not close enough to the elite or AA level post player that is almost always needed to win the NC for UConn or any other school.

Stated simply, ONO can play her very best but her intrinsic skills are not enough for UConn's aspirational level of play. And Edwards' and Juhasz' bests, so far, are seemingly even worse than ONO's. That said, UConn has good enough bigs to beat 95% of D1, but not necessarily for the rarified 5% of air that they also want to breathe easily.
RavenDog

PostPosted: 11/22/21 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pretty much the same weaknesses as last year inside/down under. There's little to no threat there offensively against a good inside player team. The scoring for UConn comes from the guards mostly. Stop the three ball shooter and scorer guards and the offense sputters. Just like the Tennessee/Texas game ended, you saw it.

ONO played one of the best games I've ever seen her play but she's not an offensive threat. Needs to start shooting and scoring from the key and outside. Boston just ate them up.

Got to give SC credit, they played the 4th quarter better...much better.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/22/21 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Classic Geno. He has no game plan so throw his players under the bus when he gets whipped.

"I've got guys that can barely play a lick, and they're stubborn as s--t."

https://mobile.twitter.com/SNYUConn/status/1462877448417259521

Stormeo

PostPosted: 11/22/21 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Classic Geno. He has no game plan so throw his players under the bus when he gets whipped.

Honest question: Has Geno, in the postgame pressers/soundbites after a loss, ever blamed himself for a poor coaching job and/or gameplan? If he ever used to, it appears he doesn't now. Confused

Howee

PostPosted: 11/22/21 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Now, THAT'S low. "Can barely play a lick", and YOU'RE their coach?? Shocked

PostPosted: 11/22/21 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Now, THAT'S low. "Can barely play a lick", and YOU'RE their coach?? Shocked

You get essentially your choice of players and you picked these particular women for your team, and you get to train and practice with them, and you design their sets and plays.

So if you have assembled a squad of players who can't play, whose fault is that?

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/22/21 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's just his way of trying to motivate. It has worked in the past.

Queenie

PostPosted: 11/22/21 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stubborn as sh*t and can't play a lick? Put the mirror down, Geno.

PostPosted: 11/22/21 11:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Geno always has game plan. Always.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 11/22/21 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Geno always has game plan. Always.

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 11/23/21 6:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

very surprised at edwards apparent regression.

i am 'worried' that fudd is a new version of KML - but even KML had more moves at UConn other than just shooting... i feel like she had double-doubles in her early freshman season.

happy with what ONO gave, and paige and evina.
regression from williams yesterday.

and what's with Amari not playing yet at all this season?

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 11/23/21 8:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
very surprised at edwards apparent regression.

i am 'worried' that fudd is a new version of KML - but even KML had more moves at UConn other than just shooting... i feel like she had double-doubles in her early freshman season.

happy with what ONO gave, and paige and evina.
regression from williams yesterday.

and what's with Amari not playing yet at all this season?

Could it be that Fudd's ACL & MCL injuries are still playing a role here? She was injured in 2019, and her high school team hardly played at all in 20-21 due to the pandemic. Maybe she's just not fully comfortable with her legs enough yet to try a lot of lateral cuts and drives.....

I am also surprised that Edwards seems to becoming a bit hesitant in the post. She may be hanging around ONO too much. Surprised

From what I've read on the BY and elsewhere, DeBerry is lagging behind in learning the motion offense, or something therein. She's certainly physically ready to play, which may be Gabriel's issue...

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 11/23/21 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Saw Auriemma's post-game presser: he makes a statement where his team played better than the Gamecocks for 30 minutes, and the Gamecocks played better than his team for 10 minutes, albeit the most important 10 minutes of the game.

Shocked

What? Connecticut out-scored South Carolina for the first 10 minutes - the 1st quarter only. The Gamecocks then out-scored the Huskies in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters. They out-scored the Huskies 40-21 for the 2nd half, and Luigi is calling that a 50-50 outcome??? We out-rebounded them massively for the entire game. Interesting take on his part.....

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 11/23/21 9:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not as surprised by the outcome as I am by the way it happened, specifically the 4th quarter meltdown.

As much as I'd rather the team win, I think this particular group of players needed to suffer a nationally-televised ass-kicking, because, like Geno, I don't think these punks get it, yet. I don't think they have a clue about what needs to be done in order to be an elite team. Clearly, they learned nothing from the Arizona loss.

So far, they impress me more as talkers rather than doers.

Of course it's quite possible that, other than Bueckers, the team isn't full of elite talent. It certainly has it's warts- shitty perimeter defense, shitty rebounding, can't take people off the dribble, poor interior offense, for starters- and it may be that if they played the Cox 100 times they'd lose 98 of them. But until they show me that they are, indeed, never gonna be more than the wimps they currently have shown themselves to be, I'm gonna hold out hope that there is a decent amount of collective intestinal fortitude.

They have about 2 months to get their shit together.

Queenie- you said they wouldn't come back here, yet here he is, stinking the joint up. Smile

Cherry-picking Geno commentary has always been a favorite pastime of the haters.

What's your point- to prove he's mean? That he always blames his players for a loss? That he's a shitty coach? That he's an asshole? That you hate his/UCONN's insane success?

RavenDog

PostPosted: 11/23/21 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wanted : A 6'5", 250lb. Muhl. Creampuffs, Pussycats and Tomato Cans need not apply.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 11/23/21 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wanted : A 6'5", 250lb. Muhl. Creampuffs, Pussycats and Tomato Cans need not apply.

Already said this... Laughing

Last edited by RavenDog on 11/23/21 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/23/21 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:

Cherry-picking Geno commentary has always been a favorite pastime of the haters.

What's your point- to prove he's mean? That he always blames his players for a loss? That he's a shitty coach? That he's an asshole? That you hate his/UCONN's insane success?

Hmmmm... so now SNY, Geno's TV network, is just a bunch of cherry-picking haters? Because they are the ones who picked out and tweeted his rude, condescending, imbecilic comment.

Of course, why should I be surprised at this response from someone who would write about these young women "I don't think these punks get it."

Birds of a feather...

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 11/23/21 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:

Hmmmm... so now SNY, Geno's TV network, is just a bunch of cherry-picking haters? Because they are the ones who picked out and tweeted his rude, condescending, imbecilic comment.

Of course, why should I be surprised at this response from someone who would write about these young women "I don't think these punks get it."

Birds of a feather...

The fair weather fan has returned.

Is Notre Dame expected to make the tournament this year?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/23/21 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:

Birds of a feather...

Did you miss me? In case you were unaware, there's been a worldwide pandemic going on the last two years. Some of us had higher priorities.

I'm hopeful for ND, but they're young. We'll have a better idea by New Years.

But I certainly don't consider the ND players "punks". They deserve a lot more respect than that.

singinerd54

PostPosted: 11/24/21 12:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Perhaps slightly off-topic (men's basketball), but I'm going to take a tiny amount of solace from #1 Gonzaga beating #2 UCLA tonight by 20, which was also the margin at halftime. Laughing

Anyone know (looking at you, pilight) if we've ever had #1 play #2 on the men's and women's side on back-to-back days (or same day)? (More interesting if not in the NCAA tournaments, and less so conference tournaments, but still interesting!)

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 11/24/21 3:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
Perhaps slightly off-topic (men's basketball), but I'm going to take a tiny amount of solace from #1 Gonzaga beating #2 UCLA tonight by 20, which was also the margin at halftime. Laughing

Anyone know (looking at you, pilight) if we've ever had #1 play #2 on the men's and women's side on back-to-back days (or same day)? (More if not in the NCAA tournaments, and less so conference tournaments, but still interesting!)

Jan 8. (W) #1 La Tech beat #2 South Carolina, 71-56.
Jan 9. (M) #1 UNC beat #2 Virginia, 65-60.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 11/25/21 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Honest question: Has Geno, in the postgame pressers/soundbites after a loss, ever blamed himself for a poor coaching job and/or gameplan? If he ever used to, it appears he doesn't now. Confused

Yeah, he does.

Generally during March.

His go to move is tear the players apart November - February, then build their confidence up so they are confident in March/April.

TBH, I've seen him lose games on purpose to teach players a lesson. (or try to)

PostPosted: 11/26/21 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Yeah, he does.

Generally during March.

His go to move is tear the players apart November - February, then build their confidence up so they are confident in March/April.

TBH, I've seen him lose games on purpose to teach players a lesson. (or try to)

Which games did Geno lose on purpose in an attempt to teach his players a lesson?

ucbart

PostPosted: 11/26/21 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:

Birds of a feather...

Did you miss me? In case you were unaware, there's been a worldwide pandemic going on the last two years. Some of us had higher priorities.

I'm hopeful for ND, but they're young. We'll have a better idea by New Years.

But I certainly don't consider the ND players "punks". They deserve a lot more respect than that.

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL-

This is Artbest at it's finest. You are such a loser, troll I can't even stand it. Blames Covid for absence after Arike choked the 2019 NC game away and has has only come back because ND looks like they might be on the way back.

You are pathetic.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 11/26/21 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:

Anyone know (looking at you, pilight) if we've ever had #1 play #2 on the men's and women's side on back-to-back days (or same day)? (More if not in the NCAA tournaments, and less so conference tournaments, but still interesting!)

Jan 8. (W) #1 La Tech beat #2 South Carolina, 71-56.
Jan 9. (M) #1 UNC beat #2 Virginia, 65-60.

This is a pretty sweet little trivia tidbit in collegiate basketball history. Thanks for finding that! Very Happy

South Carolina WBB had a VERY brief time at the top of the sport in the early 1980s, then mostly mediocrity since - especially since joining the SEC in 1991. It's nice to know that we hold a seat of importance in the sport with this little "did you know?".

I remember the UNC-UVA game. It was a HUGE national game - pitting UNC's Jordan, Worthy, and Perkins against the Hoos' Ralph Sampson.

One thing of additional note: on the MBB side, Virginia would later on in the season rise to #1 in MBB, before falling to unranked Maryland 47-46 in overtime in their last regular-season game, which enabled UNC to reclaim the #1 ranking. They were #3 ranked when they lost again to UNC in the ACCT championship game 47-45, and would fall to UAB in the NCAAT Sweet Sixteen.....

As for the South Carolina women's team, they were 10-0 when they lost to LA-Tech. Head Coach Pam Parsons coached the Gamecocks to their first 7 wins of the season, and then was forced to step down from the job after improprieties came out regarding her relationship with a player on the team, as well as other things.

Associate HC Terry Kelly took over, and despite the turmoil that was going on within the program, they continued to win, including a tough 84-74 win over #6-ranked Rutgers 2 days before the LA-Tech game. But after the loss to the Lady Techsters, the team sort of imploded a bit, losing the next 4 of their 5 games played, including to unranked SEC opponents Auburn, Alabama, and (strangely enough unranked) Tennessee.

The Gamecocks would find their footing again to finish out the season 12-2 before falling to #14-ranked Kentucky in the 2nd Round of the NCAAT. They would finish 23-8 on the season, and ranked 12th in their final ranking. They went 22-3 minus that 1-5 stretch beginning with the LA Tech loss.

The next season in 1982-83, South Carolina would go 16-12 in their last season as an independent, before joining the Metro Conference for 1983-84......

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: