RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Drill, baby, drill

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 06/08/10 10:31 am    ::: Drill, baby, drill Reply Reply with quote

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703303904575292210472764880.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsTop

Quote:
The Obama administration, facing rising anger on the Gulf Coast over the loss of jobs and income from a drilling moratorium, said Monday that it would move quickly to release new safety requirements that would allow the reopening of offshore oil and gas exploration in shallow waters.

PostPosted: 06/08/10 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think he has much of a choice. Just better hope there's not another oil spill or the same people complaining about they're not working will complain about that as well.

PostPosted: 06/08/10 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's a tricky balance for Obama - there are a lot of jobs at stake, and they pay better than most other jobs in the region.

And while I'm not a huge fan of offshore oil drilling, the U.S. is going to continue to need oil for a long time, and at least shallow water drilling is better understood than deep water drilling. Still, if I were the administration, I'd have inspectors on every rig twice a week, and more often if possible.

bridgehere

PostPosted: 06/08/10 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
It's a tricky balance for Obama - there are a lot of jobs at stake, and they pay better than most other jobs in the region.

And while I'm not a huge fan of offshore oil drilling, the U.S. is going to continue to need oil for a long time, and at least shallow water drilling is better understood than deep water drilling. Still, if I were the administration, I'd have inspectors on every rig twice a week, and more often if possible.

These wells provide such a small percentage of oil, I don't think it is worth the risk. I wish there was a way to make BP start paying weekly losses of revenue to these people. Maybe not the full amount that they would be losing, wait until the people can make valid claims with detailed paperwork to pay that. I don't think we realize how difficult it is to make BP do the correct thing. It is going to have to go through the courts and that will take time. I am just wondering if there is an expedited procedure which would allow the government to attach and use the revenues they are making in the U.S.

As far as the jobs, retrain the people who work on the oil rigs for other jobs, including green jobs. Create jobs that actually do something beneficial and productive.

Finally, I have heard people who would probably know if it were possible or not, talk of putting BP into receivership. How quickly could that be done, if it could be done.

Obama is hamstrung by existing laws and regulations and the history of the industry, including it's relationship with government.

Can you IMAGINE the fate of this accident if Bush and Cheney were still in office?

vanyogan

PostPosted: 06/08/10 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bridgehere wrote:
beknighted wrote:

These wells provide such a small percentage of oil, I don't think it is worth the risk. I wish there was a way to make BP start paying weekly losses of revenue to these people. Maybe not the full amount that they would be losing, wait until the people can make valid claims with detailed paperwork to pay that. I don't think we realize how difficult it is to make BP do the correct thing. It is going to have to go through the courts and that will take time. I am just wondering if there is an expedited procedure which would allow the government to attach and use the revenues they are making in the U.S.

As far as the jobs, retrain the people who work on the oil rigs for other jobs, including green jobs. Create jobs that actually do something beneficial and productive.

Finally, I have heard people who would probably know if it were possible or not, talk of putting BP into receivership. How quickly could that be done, if it could be done.

Obama is hamstrung by existing laws and regulations and the history of the industry, including it's relationship with government.

Can you IMAGINE the fate of this accident if Bush and Cheney were still in office?

I don't think it's quite so simple. Frankly, this oil spill affects me directly. My last consulting job was at Cameron's sub sea manufacturing and assembly facility in LA.

When you look at employment, by oil companies, the number is minuscule. However, when you look at the money they spend on frigg'n everything, and I have bought that frigg'n everything. Well, then the economic number is highly significant.

PostPosted: 06/08/10 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bridgehere wrote:
I don't think we realize how difficult it is to make BP do the correct thing. It is going to have to go through the courts and that will take time. I am just wondering if there is an expedited procedure which would allow the government to attach and use the revenues they are making in the U.S.

I'd be wary of any expedited procedure. The next time the government used such a method, it might not be against such an obvious target.

PostPosted: 06/08/10 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
bridgehere wrote:
I don't think we realize how difficult it is to make BP do the correct thing. It is going to have to go through the courts and that will take time. I am just wondering if there is an expedited procedure which would allow the government to attach and use the revenues they are making in the U.S.

I'd be wary of any expedited procedure. The next time the government used such a method, it might not be against such an obvious target.

There are always ways to limit an expedited procedure to protect for the next time; however, I realize you are wary of government. I imagine the people who are directly suffering are much more worried about the here and now. Of course, I believe we all suffer from this spill, even though we don't live on the coast and the government needs to take whatever actions it can to limit the impact.

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 06/08/10 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bridgehere wrote:
I wish there was a way to make BP start paying weekly losses of revenue to these people. Maybe not the full amount that they would be losing, wait until the people can make valid claims with detailed paperwork to pay that.

I thought this was already happening? I mean, I do recall hearing a fisherman on a news channel say that BP had already given him a check for $5,000.

PostPosted: 06/08/10 4:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
bridgehere wrote:
I wish there was a way to make BP start paying weekly losses of revenue to these people. Maybe not the full amount that they would be losing, wait until the people can make valid claims with detailed paperwork to pay that.

I thought this was already happening? I mean, I do recall hearing a fisherman on a news channel say that BP had already given him a check for $5,000.

Really? That is great. I hope it wasn't for the work he was doing on the clean-up but for the lost revenue from his fishing business. Those are two different things.

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 06/08/10 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bridgehere wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:
bridgehere wrote:

Really? That is great. I hope it wasn't for the work he was doing on the clean-up but for the lost revenue from his fishing business. Those are two different things.

Oh, now that I don't know.

PostPosted: 06/08/10 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

vanyogan wrote:
bridgehere wrote:
beknighted wrote:

I don't think it's quite so simple. Frankly, this oil spill affects me directly. My last consulting job was at Cameron's sub sea manufacturing and assembly facility in LA.

When you look at employment, by oil companies, the number is minuscule. However, when you look at the money they spend on frigg'n everything, and I have bought that frigg'n everything. Well, then the economic number is highly significant.

I realize that. I do not think it is easy, but it would be easier than cleaning up another mess like this. It is more humane than the environmental impact of this spill. More specifically, it is more humane to worry about the health of the people this has already impacted and has the potential to impact.

It is like Congress keeping plants open for decades which made bombers that the armed forces no longer wanted, but they were worried about the impact of the lost jobs. How darned stupid is that logic?

pilight

PostPosted: 11/17/21 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

U.S. offshore oil auction begins

https://www.reuters.com/business/environment/us-offshore-oil-auction-begins-under-court-order-shadow-climate-deal-2021-11-17/

Quote:
The Biden administration on Wednesday kicked off an auction of oil drilling rights to 80 million acres in the U.S. Gulf of Mexico days after joining a global agreement that for the first time targeted fossil fuels as the main driver of global warming.

PostPosted: 11/17/21 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, Biden had to do something to spit back at Saudi Arabia.

tfan

PostPosted: 11/19/21 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight if this was stackoverflow.com you would have the "Excavator" badge for reviving old posts. They not only have to be remembered, but found. I don't think the search is that great on this board.

Hawkeye

PostPosted: 11/19/21 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, the auction for the drilling rights in the Gulf is back on, but not because of Biden---it's in spite of Biden. His hands are tied in this as he signed the executive order banning the new drilling, but a federal judge blocked that EO with an injunction. There isn't anything anyone in the Biden administration can do but to abide by the injunction. Biden doesn't want the drilling to take place, but it is no longer up to him.

The media and the right wing populous will never admit to this or recognize publicly why Biden must allow the drilling auction to take place. All they will do it jump on Biden with both feet saying he lied about not allowing the auctions. This is of course an absurdity of revisionist history, but then, I am speaking about the right wing of politics here.

Hawkeye

PostPosted: 11/19/21 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Well, Biden had to do something to spit back at Saudi Arabia.

Biden didn't do anything but sign the executive order banning new drilling in federal waters/lands. The federal judge is the one that "spit back at Saudi Arabia"

Biden's hands are tied and there isn't anything he could do to stop the auctions from taking place. That's how injunctions work.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 11/20/21 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The preliminary injunction was issued in June. Biden knew these auctions were coming. US-Saudi relations have been in a turmoil since Biden took office.

Hawkeye

PostPosted: 11/22/21 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
The preliminary injunction was issued in June. Biden knew these auctions were coming. US-Saudi relations have been in a turmoil since Biden took office.

Riiiiight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: