RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Stanford Won a Championship During the Pandemic and Paid….

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mzonefan

PostPosted: 11/19/21 8:17 pm    ::: Stanford Won a Championship During the Pandemic and Paid…. Reply Reply with quote

Stanford Won a Championship During the Pandemic and Paid a Mental Health Price. What Can We Learn?

https://globalsportmatters.com/health/2021/11/17/stanford-womens-basketball-championship-pandemic-mental-health/

Howee

PostPosted: 11/20/21 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fascinating insight....who knew? Shocked I'd be curious to see how the players perceived Tara's degree of support in this odd situation.

PostPosted: 11/20/21 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sorry, but it just sounds like a pity party to me. I wouldn't doubt that one or two players had some issues but she paints it like the whole team were about to commit suicide. I think she overlaid whatever she heard with her own problems/perceptions. Was it difficult? Of course. She makes it sound like they were in a prison camp. I don't buy it.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 11/20/21 6:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Below is a link to an interview with Brewer in which she talked about depression, her emergence as a writer, playing collegiate ball, and wanting to play professionally.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.friesenpress.com/blog/2021/9/28/mikaela-brewer-interview%3fformat=amp

insidewinder

PostPosted: 11/20/21 7:35 pm    ::: Agree Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
sorry, but it just sounds like a pity party to me. I wouldn't doubt that one or two players had some issues but she paints it like the whole team were about to commit suicide. I think she overlaid whatever she heard with her own problems/perceptions. Was it difficult? Of course. She makes it sound like they were in a prison camp. I don't buy it.

I did not want to say so but since you went there first, I have to agree. Mental health is serious and athletes have a lot of stress. So do many other young people trying to do something difficult. The pandemic has been brutal for the mental health of many people, and most of them had it much worse than athletes who had to live in hotels while pursuing a sport they love. Ya know, like dead family members, jobs lost, can't pay the rent, can't go in person to school, can't even see friends. What would have been better? To stop the season?

I'm sure it was tough but the circumstances were beyond the control of anyone on the team. They did not make the rules. I kinda think the staff and coaches were in the same boat, albeit as adults they should be better equipped to cope (hopefully but no guarantee).

She seems to toss a little blame out, like somehow, some way they could have made things better, and the athletes were somehow put upon. Probably there were things they would do better/differently if they had to do it again. Strikes me as whiny for her to take it as far as she has. She took a good story and threw some vinegar on it.

insidewinder

PostPosted: 11/20/21 7:35 pm    ::: Agree Reply Reply with quote

Double post

Howee

PostPosted: 11/20/21 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

I dunno....I certainly don't think it was totally fabricated.

A. These are kids. American kids, who aren't accustomed to making too many sacrifices. Especially if they've reached the status of elite athletes. While it's tempting to say their unhappiness was unfounded, I'd agree that situation was a helluva lotta pressure on them.
B. I think a key part of her story is how the kids felt a kind of pressure to feel like it was a big ol' picnic, when they were being tested in ways I know *I* couldn't cope too well, either (just being locked up with that many females might send me over the edge.... Razz ) In other words, it was more or less demanded of them, that they Be Happy, in a setting where that might challenge anybody.
C. I doubt it was every last one of them that was in such depths of unhappiness: all of us handle stress differently, and many may have been pretty okay. But that doesn't mean a fair number of them DIDN'T have some real depression/anxiety problems.

The REAL Healing Balm (aside from a return to relative normalcy): They DID win a National Championship. Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: