RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Washington Mystics 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 11/18/21 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
If EDD is healthy, trade her. Not her fault, but the organization should not roll the dice hoping she stays healthy for a full season.

She won't play for anyone else, which limits her trade value

PostPosted: 11/18/21 10:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:
If EDD is healthy, trade her. Not her fault, but the organization should not roll the dice hoping she stays healthy for a full season.

If they trade her and she doesn't show up at the new location, she doesn't get paid does she?

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 11/18/21 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
pilight wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:

If they trade her and she doesn't show up at the new location, she doesn't get paid does she?

Does she care? She doesn't even play overseas. I can't imagine basketball is a huge financial incentive for her.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 11/19/21 12:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
Randy wrote:
pilight wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:

Does she care? She doesn't even play overseas. I can't imagine basketball is a huge financial incentive for her.

Possibly. That may be why she raised such a stink towards the League about not formally getting her medical exemption in 2020, when it wasn’t actually the League’s decision. (The Mystics still kept her active on the roster and she still got paid her salary in full anyway. That whole saga was honestly embarrassing for every entity a part of it except the League, but I digress.)

Anyway, there’s really only one trade destination that exists due to its proximity to Delaware akin to Washington’s, which is why she wanted out of Chicago in the first place. And imo she’d coincidentally be a great fit for New York as it relates to her position, skill set, and potentially cap space (in other words, the timing of it all). Too, the Liberty have the quantity of assets to trade for her. But just like any other sensible team, the Liberty would surely want to know what they’d be getting themselves into when it comes to her health. If her salary wasn’t the absolute highest, then maybe it’d be worth the risk, but… Confused

Last edited by Stormeo on 11/19/21 1:03 am; edited 1 time in total
root_thing

PostPosted: 11/19/21 12:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Too, the Liberty have the quantity of assets to trade for her. But just like any other sensible team, the Liberty would surely want to know what they’d be getting themselves into when it comes to her health. If her salary wasn’t the absolute highest, then maybe it’d be worth the risk, but… Confused

Just as long as people want quantity and not quality, then we're good. Laughing

Maybe EDD can get excited about playing with the other player from Delaware -- Betnijah Laney.

If medically it looks really unlikely that Delle Donne will be able to play this season, then maybe Thibault can pull a Cheryl Reeve and pay some team to absorb her contract. Just like Reeve gave Indiana a 1st Round pick to eat Odyssey Sims's contract, Mike can package EDD with a pick and send her someplace with lots of cap room. Perhaps Indiana would be willing to do it again. NY is a possibility if none of their free agent plans work out, and no one has more cap space than Atlanta. Giving away a 1st Round pick would be tough to swallow for a rebuilding team, but that's offset by the cap space opened up for free agents. The problem is that you're asking the other team two absorb two years of a large contract. They would probably need some hope that EDD might be able to play that second year.

PostPosted: 11/19/21 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
pilight wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:

But why would any team risk trading for her? If she doesn't show up, she doesn't get paid... but the team pulling the trigger still loses the assets they'd give to Washington in the trade.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 12/05/21 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Leilani Mitchell will be coaching in the WNBL during much of the WNBA season. Time for the Mystics to acquire a better back up PG! Leilani's last season was lackluster, at best.

~rAf
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 12/05/21 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Too, the Liberty have the quantity of assets to trade for her. But just like any other sensible team, the Liberty would surely want to know what they’d be getting themselves into when it comes to her health. If her salary wasn’t the absolute highest, then maybe it’d be worth the risk, but… Confused

Just as long as people want quantity and not quality, then we're good. Laughing

LOL

PostPosted: 12/20/21 1:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Washington needs decent cheap contracts if they are not in love with Howard I think the #1 pick could definitely be in play as a trade piece for multiple decent cheapish (rookie, minimum contracts) so

Indy #2 and #10 for #1

Dallas #4 and #6 for #1
or Collier and #6 fro #1
or Ty Harris and #4
(I think Washington would find the first two deals very tempting not sure if Dallas really needs Howard when they already have Sabally and Ogwumike but if they were interested they have options or they could trade up for N. Smith which does seem like a fit).

NY #5 and (take your pick J. Jones, Shook if NY really thinks R. Howard is the answer maybe even Onyenwere)
like Dallas not sure NY would be looking too hard at R. Howard but if we were going more traditional N. Smith joining Ionescu, Whitcomb, Laney and N. Howard is kind of an interesting line up.

Atl could offer #3 and #14 for #1
or McDonald and #3 for #1
(I could see Howard in Atl and Austin in Washington)

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 12/20/21 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Washington needs decent cheap contracts if they are not in love with Howard I think the #1 pick could definitely be in play as a trade piece for multiple decent cheapish (rookie, minimum contracts) so

Indy #2 and #10 for #1

Dallas #4 and #6 for #1
or Collier and #6 fro #1
or Ty Harris and #4
(I think Washington would find the first two deals very tempting not sure if Dallas really needs Howard when they already have Sabally and Ogwumike but if they were interested they have options or they could trade up for N. Smith which does seem like a fit).

NY #5 and (take your pick J. Jones, Shook if NY really thinks R. Howard is the answer maybe even Onyenwere)
like Dallas not sure NY would be looking too hard at R. Howard but if we were going more traditional N. Smith joining Ionescu, Whitcomb, Laney and N. Howard is kind of an interesting line up.

Atl could offer #3 and #14 for #1
or McDonald and #3 for #1
(I could see Howard in Atl and Austin in Washington)

I'll go with the Ty Harris & #4 for #1.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 12/20/21 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:

The more relevant question is why on earth would Washington?

PostPosted: 12/20/21 10:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:

I agree that was is a little bit of a stretch

The thought process

If Mike T doesn't see R. Howard as a sure thing or good fit with his current squad and

Mike T often values players that seem a little out of left field so there might be someone at 4 (also slightly cheaper than at 1) who he sees something in maybe Joens, Austin, Hillmon or Sabally who knows?

and Harris is a competent back up PG on a not very inexpensive contract with a couple years of experience that fills a need

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 12/20/21 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

On a different note with Washington sort of painting itself into a corner with expensive contracts what about this trade idea

pick #5 and Jaz Jones for Cloud

NY was interested in Cloud before (Cloud seems like a perfect back-court mate for Ionesc)

Pick 5 and Jones are both much cheaper (maybe both combined less than Cloud alone)

So maybe enough of a salary dump to afford both Hines-Allen and Charles is the secondary part of the deal

Washington can take Howard or Smith at #1 and dress the hole at PG with a less expensive free agent or maybe Westbrook, Burton or Henderson at 5

Richyyy

PostPosted: 12/20/21 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Mike T often values players that seem a little out of left field so there might be someone at 4 (also slightly cheaper than at 1) who he sees something in maybe Joens, Austin, Hillmon or Sabally who knows?

He does, but that's how you get value at 10 or 12 or 15. He also knows full well that this is a star-driven league, and that most of the time you get those right at the top. Ty Harris, after two completely forgettable seasons, isn't moving me from 1 to 4.

By the way, 4 would be exactly the same salary as 1. 1-4, 5-8, and 9-12 are each their own bracket of salaries.

PostPosted: 12/20/21 11:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

That’s a solid trade idea that would make sense for both sides imo.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 12/20/21 11:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

That’s a solid trade idea that would make sense for both sides imo.

I can see Cloud as the Vickie Johnson to Ionescu's Hammon, if you will, but to me that's a lot to give up for Cloud. Right now, two of New York's biggest assets are a) the #5 pick and b) their significant cap space. In a deal like that, because you're bringing back a big salary while giving up the pick, you give up both of those assets (or at least a meaningful portion of b, along with a). You have to be really convinced that Cloud's the perfect piece to give that much up.

PostPosted: 12/21/21 12:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mike is pretty much into players who play under control. Jaz Jones does not fit that profile.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 12/21/21 12:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You’re right about Cloud’s high salary being a big argument against acquiring her. Still, as j-spoon referenced, NY did try to sign Cloud a few years ago, so maybe they’d still be interested. I do think she’d be the perfect backcourt pairing to Ionescu whose presence could really help unlock Ionescu’s potential, so I think Cloud would carry some intangible value in that way. And I mean, New York has both the cap space and the flexibility exactly so that they could acquire players who would really make a positive difference. They could make it work numbers-wise with acquiring Cloud and then acquiring a good center – it doesn’t necessarily have to be a superstar center, especially considering that doesn’t seem particularly realistic to rely on (unless there’s more going on behind the scenes than we know of).

But maybe instead of #5 + Jones, Washington would accept Onyenwere + Jones, especially if New York during such negotiations could go hard on the salary-dump angle (which would admittedly open up the range of return assets tenfold). I’ll just say that I’m still willing to give up the #5 if I’m NY, cuz I just don’t see the right player for them being there at #5.

Shades

PostPosted: 12/21/21 12:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
On a different note with Washington sort of painting itself into a corner with expensive contracts what about this trade idea

NY was interested in Cloud before (Cloud seems like a perfect back-court mate for Ionesc)

Pick 5 and Jones are both much cheaper (maybe both combined less than Cloud alone)

So maybe enough of a salary dump to afford both Hines-Allen and Charles is the secondary part of the deal

Washington can take Howard or Smith at #1 and dress the hole at PG with a less expensive free agent or maybe Westbrook, Burton or Henderson at 5

Spooner, I’m convinced you didn’t watch the draft lottery. Cloud was there representing the Mystics (probably cuz 71-yr old Thibault was dodging covid… but he was there on Zoom). She is the leader of that roster. She’s not going anywhere.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 12/21/21 1:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Spooner, I’m convinced you didn’t watch the draft lottery. Cloud was there representing the Mystics (probably cuz 71-yr old Thibault was dodging covid… but he was there on Zoom). She is the leader of that roster. She’s not going anywhere.

Just trying some creative ideas post lottery and you are correct I did not see it.

For anyone who cares to answer

R. Howard and Washington good fit?

(If they can't afford to bring back more than one of their high end post free agents I kind of think Smith might make more sense).

Last edited by J-Spoon on 12/21/21 1:05 am; edited 1 time in total
root_thing

PostPosted: 12/21/21 1:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
You’re right about Cloud’s high salary being a big argument against acquiring her. Still, as j-spoon referenced, NY did try to sign Cloud a few years ago, so maybe they’d still be interested. I do think she’d be the perfect backcourt pairing to Ionescu whose presence could really help unlock Ionescu’s potential, so I think Cloud would carry some intangible value in that way. And I mean, New York has both the cap space and the flexibility exactly so that they could acquire players who would really make a positive difference. They could make it work numbers-wise with acquiring Cloud and then acquiring a good center – it doesn’t necessarily have to be a superstar center, especially considering that doesn’t seem particularly realistic to rely on (unless there’s more going on behind the scenes than we know of).

But maybe instead of #5 + Jones, Washington would accept Onyenwere + Jones, especially if New York during such negotiations could go hard on the salary-dump angle (which would admittedly open up the range of return assets tenfold). I’ll just say that I’m still willing to give up the #5 if I’m NY, cuz I just don’t see the right player for them being there at #5.

I see through your ruse! You just don't want NY to have enough cap space to go after Russell. Razz

PostPosted: 12/21/21 1:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think we have covered this before but all seems different with Hopkins out of the picture the Washington/NY move that I can really see happening is the much simpler NY goes after Charles who can not be cored. (Which I should probably put in the Liberty thread because that doesn't help the Mystics at all).

Stormeo

PostPosted: 12/21/21 1:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
I see through your ruse! You just don't want NY to have enough cap space to go after Russell. Razz

Omg oh no you caught me!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Wink

The Storm will probably lose Russell anyway if we end up successfully signing one of the star free agent centers who'll be available. If so, we may as well lose her to the team that cut her and let her be ours in the first place. Circle of life perhaps? Razz

Anywho, I will be hoping for a Cloud-to-NY trade. Particularly if Thibault is about to "reset [his] team" (his words), it just makes sense for both sides.

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 12/21/21 8:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:

I don't see that happening either, but miracles do happen😁😁😁

Queenie

PostPosted: 12/21/21 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Omg oh no you caught me!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Wink

The Storm will probably lose Russell anyway if we end up successfully signing one of the star free agent centers who'll be available. If so, we may as well lose her to the team that cut her and let her be ours in the first place. Circle of life perhaps? Razz

Anywho, I will be hoping for a Cloud-to-NY trade. Particularly if Thibault is about to "reset [his] team" (his words), it just makes sense for both sides.

Hey, at least this time Russell wouldn't have Kia Vaughn metaphorically cock-blocking her. I'm *still* salty that we stuck with Vaughn.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 3 of 16

Jump to: