RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Opening Day: Fantastic, Fair, Fail

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 11/10/21 12:09 am    ::: Opening Day: Fantastic, Fair, Fail Reply Reply with quote

Lots of action that I have yet to preview.

Fantastic: Khayla Pointer triple double. Jacksonville U (FL)

Fair: South Carolina vs NC state. Good early matchup.

Fail: Goophers, Collens’ Bears.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 11/10/21 3:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

South Carolina won 66-57 over #5 NC State. Scored 66 points. Shot 49% from the field, 25% from the 3, and 68% from the line. Compared to last season where they scored 46 points in a loss, shot 27%, 17%, and 36% respectively. So that's a win in my book.

Surprised at the 7-pt win of Baylor over Texas State, the 5-pt win of Michigan over IUPUI, and the 7-pt win of USF over UTRGV. All 3 teams are top-25 ranked, and the first 2 are top 10. Well, Michigan is 11th....

But things are just getting cranked up. Long seasons ahead for us......

summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/10/21 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fantastic: JMU's rout of UVA, 84-69, led by Kiki Jefferson's 31 points and 11 rebounds, and the huge (1200+) student turnout in the new AUBC.

Fail: Sorry, Hoos, but your team looked like a set of mismatched pieces that a decent coach could do something with. Tina Thompson was a great player, but I don't think she's that coach. If this continues, you may be in a race to the bottom of the ACC.

PostPosted: 11/10/21 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Fantastic: JMU's rout of UVA, 84-69, led by Kiki Jefferson's 31 points and 11 rebounds, and the huge (1200+) student turnout in the new AUBC.

Fail: Sorry, Hoos, but your team looked like a set of mismatched pieces that a decent coach could do something with. Tina Thompson was a great player, but I don't think she's that coach. If this continues, you may be in a race to the bottom of the ACC.

To add to UVa's failures, the men's team, ranked #25, lost at home to Navy in their season opener. Rough night in Charlottesville, VA for sure.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/10/21 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

To add to UVa's failures, the men's team, ranked #25, lost at home to Navy in their season opener. Rough night in Charlottesville, VA for sure.

This Navy brat (born at the Academy when they still had a hospital, baptized in the chapel there) is QUITE chuffed!

PostPosted: 11/10/21 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

They hired a name, not a coach, much like Minnesota. Tina's entire career, as a player and assistant was spent on the west coast or in Texas. Why on earth would she want the Virginia job?

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/10/21 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

not exactly a failure since they came back and won big, but the fact that Longwood was leading Maryland most of the first half has to be concerning, especially considering Maryland starts only one player under 6' and Longwood's tallest starter is 6'. I'm guessing Brenda had something to say to her team at halftime.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/10/21 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

They hired a name, not a coach, much like Minnesota. Tina's entire career, as a player and assistant was spent on the west coast or in Texas. Why on earth would she want the Virginia job?

Not so much the point as that she was a post player. IMNSHO, post players make rather poor HCs because they don't run the game on the floor the way guards do. I have always thought that PGs make the best coaches because they run the game on the floor. Bench players make pretty good ones if they were paying attention while on the bench and listening to and conversing with the coaches. Last night the UVA backcourt, and indeed most of the team, appeared to be coaching themselves, and it wasn't pretty.

PostPosted: 11/10/21 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
ucbart wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Not so much the point as that she was a post player. IMNSHO, post players make rather poor HCs because they don't run the game on the floor the way guards do. I have always thought that PGs make the best coaches because they run the game on the floor. Bench players make pretty good ones if they were paying attention while on the bench and listening to and conversing with the coaches. Last night the UVA backcourt, and indeed most of the team, appeared to be coaching themselves, and it wasn't pretty.

this is why it's so important to get the right assistants who can complement what the HC brings.

Coyotes

PostPosted: 11/10/21 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll add my observations here:

Fair: Marist was picked to finish 4th in the MAAC, so going out and snatching a win against the predicted first place finishers in the CAA, Drexel, has to be a fabulous start for Giorgis' team.

Concerning: Kentucky needed a 3 at the buzzer to prevent them from trailing Presbyterian at the half. They ended up alright, but slightly concerning there.

Unlucky: High Point not only dropped the game to Elon on their home court, but they also likely lost Skyler Curren for an extended period of time due to a knee injury.

Meh: Milwaukee really should be able to beat a team like Ball State especially if they hope to continue to rule to roost in the Horizon.

Fantastic: Fordham's Asiah' Dingle went off for 34 points, 6 rebounds, 6 steals in an OT victory over the second best team in Connecticut, Quinnipiac.

Fabulous: Green Bay may not be the Phoenix of years past, but the Jackrabbits looked solid without Myah Selland in a 70-49 win.

The Missouri Valley looks like it will be a battle -- Bradley trounced Wright State 84-65 and put the rest of the Valley on notice that Caroline Waite and Gabi Haack are here to stay. Missouri State should have some competition to be worried about.

blue crabs & basketba

PostPosted: 11/10/21 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fantastic: Angel Reese's game yesterday. UMD is lucky to have her.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 11/10/21 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fantastic: Iowa shot 96.5% from the FT line yesterday. 27 for 28.

PostPosted: 11/10/21 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fantastic: LaChina Robinson and Dearica Hamby were here in Macon to cheer on Wake Forest in their win over Mercer

PostPosted: 11/10/21 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fantastic: 24 points and 7 rebounds for Rayven Peeples in the Red Storm's opening game win. If she can look this credible against competition at our level... it's been a very, very long time since we've had a real threat in the middle.

(bonus fantastic: Camree Clegg, no look over the head, to Rayven for the finish)

Fair: I'm not sure how I feel about the one-Danielle limit. And I hope other teams don't find a way to exploit it by preemptively playing their own Danielle. Razz

Foul: Emma Nolan is not a backup center. Also, it is taking entirely too long for the box score to be posted.

(also, from what I've seen elsewhere, ENOUGH WITH THE KNEE INJURIES)

PostPosted: 11/10/21 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Fair: I'm not sure how I feel about the one-Danielle limit. And I hope other teams don't find a way to exploit it by preemptively playing their own Danielle. Razz

Foul: Emma Nolan is not a backup center. Also, it is taking entirely too long for the box score to be posted.

*Looks at St. John’s roster* So you’re telling me that this roster contains a set of twins, as well as a set of Danielle’s who both started out their college careers at the same school? Surprised

summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/11/21 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fair: Well, Tennessee won over SIU by 10, but it was a hell of a defensive battle. The coaches are not strangers to each other from the MVC.

Fantastic: Alexus Dye. Nuff said.

Foul: Tennessee shots would not go in. And as usual, Tamari Key got called for everything by virtue of being the biggest player on the floor. Never fails. And worst of all, the Lady Vols lost Rae Burrell in the 2Q with what appeared to be a knee injury, although she was holding the back of her knee by where the hamstring attaches. Might be a season ender for her. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: 11/11/21 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Queenie wrote:

*Looks at St. John’s roster* So you’re telling me that this roster contains a set of twins, as well as a set of Danielle’s who both started out their college careers at the same school? Surprised

It was really fun when we had a third player who bore a resemblance to the twins. Danielle C. is currently playing that role.

PostPosted: 11/11/21 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Fair: Well, Tennessee won over SIU by 10, but it was a hell of a defensive battle. The coaches are not strangers to each other from the MVC.

Fantastic: Alexus Dye. Nuff said.

Foul: Tennessee shots would not go in. And as usual, Tamari Key got called for everything by virtue of being the biggest player on the floor. Never fails. And worst of all, the Lady Vols lost Rae Burrell in the 2Q with what appeared to be a knee injury, although she was holding the back of her knee by where the hamstring attaches. Might be a season ender for her. Crying or Very sad

Burrell going down hurts Tennessee so much this season if she’s out. I hope she’s not but she said something “popped” she tried to walk but she couldn’t even walk off the court. Poor girl

PostPosted: 11/11/21 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ole Miss , supposedly the #6 SEC team, losing to Belmont. And Belmont pretty much led the whole way. Belmont is good, but still...

Coyotes

PostPosted: 11/11/21 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Ole Miss , supposedly the #6 SEC team, losing to Belmont. And Belmont pretty much led the whole way. Belmont is good, but still...

I knew I got a stud in Destinee Wells. IT was just mint to be.

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 11/12/21 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NOT Fantastic: Having to wait 6 days for game #1.

REALLY not fair: Having to wait 6 days after game #1 for game #2.

ucbart

PostPosted: 11/12/21 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
NOT Fantastic: Having to wait 6 days for game #1.

REALLY not fair: Having to wait 6 days after game #1 for game #2.

It's so annoying....

Stormeo

PostPosted: 11/13/21 12:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Opening Day '21-'22 for my UW Huskies is now in the books. We won the game 57-51 at home vs. San Diego.

Fantastic: N/A. Seriously.

Fair: Well... we beat a mid-major at home by just single-digits, so of course this can't go into the above category. I will say, it was good to see some of our returners who were absent last year (Missy Peterson who was coming off another ACL injury and T.T. Watkins who opted out last season). I was happy for them, cuz I know they've been waiting for today. Haley Van Dyke, arguably our best player who graciously didn't transfer out when she could've, finished with 12 pts, 10 boards...

Fail: ...and 10 turnovers. (Tennessee's Jordan Horston was not alone today in receiving this type of "triple-double.") We finished with 36 turnovers as a team. 'nuff said. This, after Tina Langley thought aloud during Pac-12 Media Day that Washington WBB will be known for being an "efficient" style of basketball, of all things. Emphasis on the "will," maybe? Jesus christ, it was painful to watch – especially in the 4th quarter when San Diego started to press. We still won somehow, but I mean, my god. 15 players on this roster and it appears that we don't have a single goddamn ball-handler. I had a feeling that that would be our most obvious weakness, but I didn't think it'd get exploited this soon. So unless we somehow address this shit now (not likely given roster personnel), things will get even tougher heading into the conference schedule when every opponent will have either length, athleticism, or both – and everyone will know (how) to press. Will the Huskies' real PG please stand up, if you even exist? All the players below 6-9 took turns handling that role tonight, none of whom did it particularly well. Speaking of 6-9, yeah, uhh... Nancy Mulkey ain't gettin' drafted if she's gonna play like that. Maybe it was just first-game jitters (for everyone, perhaps), but she was the opposite of dominant tonight. She racked up the blocks (5), but finished with 6 points on 5 shot attempts and 5 boards – against the San Diego mf Toreros. That's it. She stands there and is tall on the defensive end, and does not give a shit about demanding the ball on the other end, even when the shot clock runs down possession after possession. She was incredibly pedestrian, which was disappointing. I was really hoping she could even somewhat duplicate her Rice stats for the whole season (ditto Lauren Schwartz), but I'm pretty pessimistic now, and we're not even into the conference schedule yet. Finally, I'm now skeptical that the veteran players are being given playing time simply because they aren't freshmen. Only one of our four true freshmen played (the only one who's a post player, [un]coincidentally). I don't like that because if you don't keep them engaged nowadays, they will transfer. One of them's even a PG! If she had any semblance of a handle (and a smidgeon of poise?), we sure could've used her at any one point tonight. Are they not playing because they're just that raw in practice, or are they being shamelessly held back by a vets-first system? We'll see how the rotation dynamic changes over time, if it even does. So anyway, despite the win, it looks like I'll be dropping my own expectations about this year's team, which really kind of stings. The state of UW athletics regarding the three main college sports (football and both basketball teams) is really f*cking bad, and unexpectedly so. I don't know if I can stomach the highs and lows of yet another UW WBB season this year. Man, I miss damn near everything about the Kelsey Plum years, which remain incredibly distanced from the present. Sad

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 11/13/21 1:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was there as well. Agree 100%.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: