RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Certified Unscripted
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 11/08/21 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Agreed on everything you are saying including the frustration, at times and Penny! Lol! To be honest, many of the comments about not living up to the hype (and that ridiculous poll they did a few years ago) feel more like, "She ain't all that!". Truth be told, name a player who is? My thing is no one is above criticism and I get not liking a player for whatever reason, but I hope we can do a better job of celebrating what a player is rather than what they are not. The same as we do with other players. Elite clutch shooters and offensive players are highly lauded and they should be but my goodness, it is pretty weird to not recognize someone who is effective in multiple aspects of the game. Out of the thousands of women who have played in the W, Candace is 1 of 2 players to be at least top 12 during the regular season and top 7 in post season in the core statistical categories. Catchings is the other player and their games look pretty different (grit vs finesse) but both are all-around greats! Side note: CP accomplished those feats in 97 less regular season games and 10 less post season games. She is from the lineage of versatile bigs (e.g., Tina Thompson, Lauren Jackson, Lisa Leslie, Catchings) with inside outside game. Part of her historical significance is linked to enhancing the versatile big model by adding guard-like skills and in not just being able to pass the ball out of doubles etc. but her ability to run point and break folks down with her handles. More players on the women’s and men’s side are coming in multi-dimensional but truly she was touching all aspects of the game before it was popular to do so. Like all of us, she is not perfect and she admits to having to grow and adjust in some areas but the excitement and relevance she has brought not only to women's basketball but to the sport's landscape is significant.

I have been watching the W from the beginning and because I wasn’t really watching college ball at the time, it took me a sec to see what the CP hype was all about. Once I saw what she could do, I felt that the hype was and is warranted and as a sport’s fan and supporter...watching her go through the setbacks, comebacks, criticisms, weight of expectations, etc., have made her victories so much sweeter. Her story is an amazing sport’s story and truly, we need a 30 for 30 for last season alone! lol! Seeing her off court ventures, it is clear that versatility is a theme for her. Truly, she is a model for what an athlete can do and be and the game is much better for having her in it.

Here's an interesting article about Tina Hutchinson, who was the special guest on the show: https://highposthoops.com/2019/11/22/and-one-tina-hutchinson-unrealized-freshman-phenom-san-diego-state/

I hadn't heard about her before but it was interesting watching the clips of her in college. It is hard to know how much a player's game would translate in the pros but sans injury (and medical knowledge at the time), it would have been interesting to see her and Miller play in the W. They are in the age group with Penny Toler, Cynthia Cooper, Pam McGee, etc.

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 11/10/21 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This week's episode was really good! Ruthie shared her story of surviving abuse and their special guest was Coach Joanne P. McCullie (former Duke head coach). Coach was/is close with Ruthie and also shared some things about her life as a coach and the pain and challenges of supporting players who are struggling with a variety of issues. It is such a reminder that you never know what people are going through and fighting to overcome.

Next week is their last episode of the season and it looks like their special guest will be Cheryl Miller!

Happy pre-Veteran's Day and for those who served, thank you so much for your service!

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 11/12/21 12:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:
This week's episode was really good! Ruthie shared her story of surviving abuse and their special guest was Coach Joanne P. McCullie (former Duke head coach). Coach was/is close with Ruthie and also shared some things about her life as a coach and the pain and challenges of supporting players who are struggling with a variety of issues. It is such a reminder that you never know what people are going through and fighting to overcome.

Next week is their last episode of the season and it looks like their special guest will be Cheryl Miller!

Happy pre-Veteran's Day and for those who served, thank you so much for your service!

Thanks for the heads up. I'm looking forward to Cheryl!

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 11/12/21 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ruthie telling her story of abuse and what she learned from it was really powerful. She got into some detail about why she stayed and what prompted her to leave. And she had great stories about how her sharing her message has impacted others (Armintie Price being one of the people who responded to her). Penny shared perspectives from GM position on dealing with players who are in these situations (and references obliquely a specific scenario that might have been the Riquna Williams situation…). Non coaching seems to be doing PMAC a world of good. Her relationship with Ruthie happened when she was an assistant to Joe Ciampi during Ruthies Auburn days.

jap

PostPosted: 12/11/21 6:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Next season I hope Rita & 'Spoon manage to get Cheryl Miller on the show, ideally along with Tina Hutchinson. Cheryl is funny and ultra competitive, but I would love! to see an honest assessment of Tina's skillset from Cheryl and vice verse about Cheryl from Tina. We are talking about two 6-foot, 3-inch players who could play all five positions, although I suspect Tina may have been a tad more versatile offensively, and Cheryl was reportedly more polished defensively.

I don't get as hot & bothered over the question of who was the GOAT as so many fans do since each individual player is a unique entity that deserves to be fully appreciated on her own personal merits. I think it is really hard if not outright impossible to single out a single GOAT in any sports league due to vast diversity of high-end skill sets. The most extreme statement I have ever made in that regard was classifying Wilt Chamberlain as the most dominant player in men's basketball. However, selecting an all-time GOAT involves defining what one means by the term, "greatest," and that definition tends to vary from person to person. It's difficult to even confine such talk to just the NBA as stories of street ballers like Earl "" the Goat" Manugault, Joe Hammond, or Raymond "RayLew" Lewis abound with hosts of credible witnesses to their sleight of hands skills & shooting accuracy.

In the women's game, isolating the very best players is more difficult since legitimate news coverage has been even more elusive. However, the players know who the real standouts are, which is why a forum like Certified Unscripted is so valuable. Take a veteran street baller like Gail Doughty from Philadelphia, a female who began playing against her two older brothers and advanced to the point where only the very best male players in Philly had a chance of beating her. Philly native Dawn Staley said years ago, "Gail Doughty has all the skills to play at the next level. She is explosive, like Charles Barkley, and she could intimidate people the same way. She is as good as anyone I've ever played with. No question, she's capable of playing in the pros. But who knows why some people don't get the opportunity and others do."

Gail's coach at Morgan State adds, "What she could do with a basketball at her size was unnatural. Everyone said she played like a guy, whatever that meant. I just thought, 'What a talent.'"

PostPosted: 11/10/22 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just thought about them. Didn't even know that they were back for S2 already:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0wFcdDB87UGVZM-JxLKmvA/streams

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: