RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Pac-12 2021-2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
undersized_post

PostPosted: 11/06/21 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
lexi hull seems to still be in a shooting slump. ugly. Crying or Very sad

I checked out her stats during the fantasy draft and was shocked at how low her FG% was last season. My subjective impression is that she was a more reliable option on offense than the numbers necessarily indicate. Does she often end up needed to hoist out of desperation when the shot clock is winding down?

myrtle wrote:
From their exhibition it looks like Wazzou is almost exactly the same team as last year. They have one big Freshman guard but otherwise same. I wonder what happened to the big post that was supposedly transferring there. Apparently she got lost in the transfer portal. It's kind of scary that the coach hasn't managed to get recruits. They would really be in trouble if Krystal hadn't chosen to stay the extra year.

Too bad. They were one of my favorite teams to watch last season. Managed to find a way to win despite not being a great team on paper. Charlisse was a very exciting player to watch but it will be hard for her to take her game to the next level when the pieces around her aren't able to contribute much. I hope they prove me wrong!

PostPosted: 11/06/21 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
More bad luck for Oregon. Sad

Paopao out "for the foreseeable future."

Rogers out for several weeks due to broken bones in her arm/hand.

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2021/11/oregon-womens-basketball-all-pac-12-guards-endyia-rogers-broken-left-handarm-te-hina-paopao-out-for-the-foreseeable-future.html

I heard that was coming....DANGGGG. Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: 11/07/21 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I checked out her stats during the fantasy draft and was shocked at how low her FG% was last season. My subjective impression is that she was a more reliable option on offense than the numbers necessarily indicate. Does she often end up needed to hoist out of desperation when the shot clock is winding down?

Yeah. She's never been the most efficient player out there, but she sure is darn tenacious. She'll be the one to drive and get you a big bucket when needed or get a key rebound, or play some stellar defense. She'll have some good shooting games, but it's been tough to watch her shooting struggle of late. She shot 8-30 in the Final Four....which isn't exactly the stuff of legends, but she did come away with a double double in both games.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/07/21 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Yeah. She's never been the most efficient player out there, but she sure is darn tenacious. She'll be the one to drive and get you a big bucket when needed or get a key rebound, or play some stellar defense. She'll have some good shooting games, but it's been tough to watch her shooting struggle of late. She shot 8-30 in the Final Four....which isn't exactly the stuff of legends, but she did come away with a double double in both games.

yes. the eye test is very good, but I'm also amazed at the bad/mediocre stats. At their year end banquet she mentioned she planned to spend time working on finishing so she knows it has been an issue.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/11/21 12:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Realized it might be more appropriate to post this here than on our fantasy thread:

watching the UCLA game. They're struggling against Pepperdine Shocked Still first half. I've 'watched' Limar'i Thomas stats for several years but never saw her in person. She reminds me of a shorter D.Adams. Chunky but has great hands. I think she'll do ok for you Pureform, but may struggle once conference starts up. She's only 5'10" according to the roster and definitely plays in the post. And UCLA may be in trouble if they can't even stomp on Pepperdine. Apparently their hot shit transfer PG is out with a leg injury and had surgery on it so not clear when she can start to play. That puts Osbourne back as the PG. I saw an interview a few weeks ago where she was so excited that she was going to get to slip back over to SG. hmmm.

UCLA did manage to win but it was fairly ugly. Not sure why, but I think Roz said they only had seven players dressed.

any other comments on the first few days of games?

Stormeo

PostPosted: 11/11/21 1:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

One game that stood out to me simply from a boxscore standpoint was Cal's opening win vs. Sac State. Cal scored 90 in basically a 20-point win, but it was their rotation that was interesting. A lot of the players who they ended up having to use a lot last year (Daniels, Mastrov, Onyiah, Samb, etc.) either didn't play for whatever reason or weren't really utilized. McIntosh started & played full minutes, but only took 2 shots. Other than Lutje Schipholt who led the team with a 20-and-10 double-double, the main players of the game were freshmen (Curry), transfers (Bush), or returners who were injured most/all of last season (Crocker, Green). It does seem like Charmin Smith has a lot of different pieces to work with, but if they're all healthy (which is its own question), I don't know how she'll keep everyone engaged moving forward. Not gonna lie, I hope my Huskies jump on any of Cal's post players should they choose to enter the transfer portal. Cal's lineup for this game, even without an injured Daniels, was very undersized – and it worked, at least in this matchup. Imo if you have three young post players just sitting on the bench game after game, that eventually sends its own message from Coach to players.

Elsewhere, I saw Colorado won at Oklahoma State. I was disappointed that neither of the Husky transfers on that roster started. Miller & Sadler were two of the few good players for the Huskies last season. Imo Colorado could definitely use one or two upgrades in their starting lineup, but hey, JR Payne coached the Buffs up to a win here, so maybe this lineup will work for them. Ultimately I hope nothing works for them, but whatever. Razz

okstateguy

PostPosted: 11/11/21 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Elsewhere, I saw Colorado won at Oklahoma State. I was disappointed that neither of the Husky transfers on that roster started. Miller & Sadler were two of the few good players for the Huskies last season. Imo Colorado could definitely use one or two upgrades in their starting lineup, but hey, JR Payne coached the Buffs up to a win here, so maybe this lineup will work for them. Ultimately I hope nothing works for them, but whatever. Razz

Miller was pretty effective. It seemed like they were staggering her minutes with Hollingshead's. OSU looked very similar to the beginning of last season(no clue what they were doing), so I don't think it speaks well to Colorado that it was only a 6 or 7 point game with around a minute left.

PostPosted: 11/11/21 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

okstateguy wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Miller was pretty effective. It seemed like they were staggering her minutes with Hollingshead's. OSU looked very similar to the beginning of last season(no clue what they were doing), so I don't think it speaks well to Colorado that it was only a 6 or 7 point game with around a minute left.

I was actually shocked that they could win a game on the road. Even though (gulp) they did beat Stanford last year (albeit at home), they aren't very good in general.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 11/13/21 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pac-12.com's Michelle Smith outlines the Pac-12's nonconference games to watch. I added some other good matchups as well.

Texas at Stanford // November 14
Stanford's 2021 National Championship Celebration

California Baptist at Oregon State // November 17

Louisville at Washington // November 20

Missouri State at USC // November 20

Oregon vs. Oklahoma // November 20
Battle 4 Atlantis // Paradise Island, Bahamas

Stanford at Gonzaga // November 21

Marquette at Colorado // November 21

Oregon vs. South Carolina // November 21
Battle 4 Atlantis // Paradise Island, Bahamas

Stanford vs. Indiana // November 25
Baha Mar Hoops Pink Flamingo Championship // Nassau, Bahamas

Arizona vs. DePaul // November 26
Paradise Jam // St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands

Utah vs. Gonzaga // November 26
Rainbow Wahine Showdown // Manoa, Hawaii

Arizona State vs. Baylor // November 26
CancĂşn Challenge // CancĂşn, Mexico

Oregon State vs. Michigan // November 26
Daytona Beach Invitational // Daytona Beach, Florida

Stanford vs. South Florida // November 26

Arizona vs. Rutgers // November 27
Paradise Jam // St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands

Washington State vs. North Carolina State // November 27

Stanford vs. Maryland // November 27

Oregon State vs. Notre Dame // November 27
Daytona Beach Invitational // Daytona Beach, Florida

BYU at Utah // December 4

California at Arkansas // December 5

Washington State at Gonzaga // December 8

UCLA vs. UConn // December 11
Never Forget Tribute Classic // Newark, New Jersey

Washington State at BYU // December 18

Stanford at Tennessee // December 18

Arizona vs. Texas // December 19
Pac-12 Coast-to-Coast Challenge // Las Vegas, Nevada

Ohio State at UCLA // December 19

Northwestern at Oregon // December 21

Stanford at South Carolina // December 21

Utah at Oklahoma // December 21

UConn at Oregon // January 17

Last edited by Stormeo on 11/21/21 3:10 am; edited 1 time in total
myrtle

PostPosted: 11/13/21 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thanks for adding in some of the less touted, but still intriguing matchups.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/13/21 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would count ASU's loss at home to Minnesota as a bad loss. CTT is one of those 'nice' coaches but I really think her 'system' is no longer a winning one (if it ever was). I mean she can finish low middle of the PAC consistently which seems to be enough to keep her employed, but it's been a long time since they were really in the conversation.

Coyotes

PostPosted: 11/13/21 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I would count ASU's loss at home to Minnesota as a bad loss. CTT is one of those 'nice' coaches but I really think her 'system' is no longer a winning one (if it ever was). I mean she can finish low middle of the PAC consistently which seems to be enough to keep her employed, but it's been a long time since they were really in the conversation.

Yeah, but she's an institution in Tempe. I don't think she's going to go anywhere anytime soon.

I do want the Sun Devils to rise up again, but I don't want more nightmares of Stanford scoring 31 points against them.

PostPosted: 11/13/21 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Yeah, but she's an institution in Tempe. I don't think she's going to go anywhere anytime soon.

I do want the Sun Devils to rise up again, but I don't want more nightmares of Stanford scoring 31 points against them.

Didn't they finish top 25 a couple years ago?

pilight

PostPosted: 11/13/21 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

22 wrote:
Coyotes wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Arizona Stata finished #25 in 2020

PostPosted: 11/13/21 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I would count ASU's loss at home to Minnesota as a bad loss.

....especially after MN lost to Jacksonville St., eh? All close games though, and kinda typical of these early season bumbles.

I'd say AZ St. has been a more consistent member of the PAC than any number of others, like CO, CAL, UT, WA, or Wazzou. And like AZ is now doing, several of these programs are on the rise. OR wasn't much to write home about in the not-so-distant past. I hope they can remain relevant.

PostPosted: 11/13/21 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
myrtle wrote:
I would count ASU's loss at home to Minnesota as a bad loss.

....especially after MN lost to Jacksonville St., eh? All close games though, and kinda typical of these early season bumbles.

I'd say AZ St. has been a more consistent member of the PAC than any number of others, like CO, CAL, UT, WA, or Wazzou. And like AZ is now doing, several of these programs are on the rise. OR wasn't much to write home about in the not-so-distant past. I hope they can remain relevant.

The thing with the Pac-12 is that the rest of the league is getting better, especially in terms of recruiting, and ASU hasn't kept up. As teams like Arizona, Oregon, OSU and UCLA have all gotten significantly better talent recently, inherently the teams that stay the same or have some drop off are going to look much worse in comparison than they actually are.

Personally I think the PAC has a real chance to get 8 teams into the tournament this season, but that could depend on how well the teams who don't get get wins in-conference to do so early in the season. The Minnesota loss doesn't help the cause.

PostPosted: 11/13/21 5:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
22 wrote:
Coyotes wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Arizona Stata finished #25 in 2020

and they were 6-9 in conference last year. It's been a long time since they've been better than 10-8 or somewhere around there.

IM in OC

PostPosted: 11/13/21 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Using Hoopgurlz as a ranking source, only because they go back to 2008, ASU has not had one Top 25 ranked player go to the school in the past 13+ years.

The closest they came was back in 2010 when Cassie Harberts had verballed, then pulled it back and went to USC. Harberts was ranked #11. Same year Lyndsey Sherbert was also considering the school, but never verballed and then went to Cal. Sherbert was ranked #29. CTT thought she had both in the bag.

I do not think CTT wants top players but rather role players. Plus if you are are a top player are you okay with rotating in and out as much as CTT makes those hockey line changes?

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 11/13/21 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:

I do not think CTT wants top players but rather role players. Plus if you are are a top player are you okay with rotating in and out as much as CTT makes those hockey line changes?

I am a firm believer that you can’t have an elite team without elite talent. As consistently as she was in the top third of the the PAC before the revolution began, CTT has only gone to the Elite Eight twice in her 24 seasons at ASU. Both of those teams featured Briann January, the only ASU player to ever crack a WNBA roster. I think.

PostPosted: 11/13/21 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
thanks for adding in some of the less touted, but still intriguing matchups.

You bet! I was surprised Smith didn’t acknowledge Stanford’s game tomorrow vs. Texas, especially since y’all will be celebrating Stanford’s (aka the Pac-12’s) championship. Razz Ditto that midwinter UConn-Oregon matchup.

PickledGinger wrote:
IM in OC wrote:

I am a firm believer that you can’t have an elite team without elite talent. As consistently as she was in the top third of the the PAC before the revolution began, CTT has only gone to the Elite Eight twice in her 24 seasons at ASU. Both of those teams featured Briann January, the only ASU player to ever crack a WNBA roster. I think.

Completely agree, really with both of y'all. Even if you didn’t have to have elite talent back then to build into an elite program, you certainly do now. Arizona has completely usurped Arizona State as the statewide head honcho wbb program, in such a small amount of time too. CTT has had a good run, but it still has not resulted in a single Final Four appearance. If I were a Sun Devil stan, I’d have been calling for a leadership change as soon as I saw Adia Barnes even starting to get visibly better top talent across the way. CTT isn’t adapting, so I don’t see the Sun Devils ever again becoming a legit conference contender with her in charge.

IIRC, Sophie Brunner was actually traded at one point in the WNBA (either to or from Phoenix), but I’m not sure if she ever actually appeared in a regular-season game. Joy Burke is another player who possibly appeared in the W, but I’m not sure. It really might just be Briann January & no one else.

Queenie

PostPosted: 11/13/21 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
IM in OC wrote:

I assume you mean a Turner Thorne ASU player. I mean, Kym Hampton exists, but Kym's college career predated... a lot of things. Like me.

(now with spelling variations)
IM in OC

PostPosted: 11/13/21 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the 2012 season Dymond Simon played in 8 games for Phoenix.

bcdawg04

PostPosted: 11/13/21 11:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What do you need talented players for when the game plan is to grab, shove, claw, and pull while the coach tries to convince the refs to stop calling fouls? And how many elite players want to play in that kind of system?

osubeavers

PostPosted: 11/14/21 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well stated. ASU under CTT likes turn basketball into roller derby. And her sideline antics reek of desperation.

PostPosted: 11/14/21 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="osubeavers"]Well stated. ASU under CTT likes turn basketball into roller derby. And her sideline antics reek of desperation.[/quote]

You say that like it's a bad thing. Oh to have Sundays back with Calvello, Weston, Arnold and Hardman.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: