RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Recruitment of #2 ranked senior Kiki Rice
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 11/04/21 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Give Cori a raise!!

Hoops9092

PostPosted: 11/04/21 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
UCLA!

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/recruiting/basketball/womens/story/_/id/32552886/kiki-rice-no-2-women-prospect-espn-class-2022-commits-ucla

I'm really happy for Cori Close-She was due for a break like this one in recruiting.

Congrats to Kiki

Due for a break?! She had a loaded, #1 ranked recruiting class in 2014 that at best made it to the Elite Eight once!

Me and K-Law going to have to share a drink over both Stanford and Duke losing her! Meh

ucbart

PostPosted: 11/04/21 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoops9092 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
UCLA!

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/recruiting/basketball/womens/story/_/id/32552886/kiki-rice-no-2-women-prospect-espn-class-2022-commits-ucla

I'm really happy for Cori Close-She was due for a break like this one in recruiting.

Congrats to Kiki

Due for a break?! She had a loaded, #1 ranked recruiting class in 2014 that at best made it to the Elite Eight once!

Me and K-Law going to have to share a drink over both Stanford and Duke losing her! Meh

When is the last time Close got a player of this magnitude? NEVER. She's gotten some good pieces, which is why she's made the S16 & E8. This type of player puts them in a position for the FF every year.

Hoops9092

PostPosted: 11/04/21 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Hoops9092 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
UCLA!

Congrats to Kiki

When is the last time Close got a player of this magnitude? NEVER. She's gotten some good pieces, which is why she's made the S16 & E8. This type of player puts them in a position for the FF every year.

I think Jordin Canada would be pretty comparable, #1 ranked PG in the deep 2014 class (oh and not to mention the other 3 top 15 recruits that went to UCLA in that same year)

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 11/04/21 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats on UCLA for getting Rice. The Pac-12 are nabbing up all the goodies this cycle.....

Stormeo

PostPosted: 11/04/21 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
greatgator wrote:
Sounds like she knows what she wants https://twitter.com/wslam/status/1444014259139059717

...."I wanna go somewhere where we're gonna be competing for National Championships every year"

Ironically, in choosing UCLA, she picked the one school out of her five finalists that has never made the Final Four of the NCAA Tournament. Perhaps then, Rice would like to be the one who leads the Bruins to their first one. That would be legitimately leaving behind a legacy if she's interested in that. Maybe that was Close's biggest selling point to her.

Yes, Cori Close is a standup human being and was already a fabulous recruiter before this commitment. She had accumulated the #2 recruiting class in the nation for 2022 (only behind Oregon) before today, so it's interesting to hear anyone say that she was due for a break like this after not only the others in the incoming class whom she wrangled up, but also her squandering the #1-ranked Jordin Canada class several years back. Great person, great recruiter, sus coach. JMO.

Still, Rice would've likely been overshadowed at UConn beneath Azzi Fudd, Stanford despite their accomplishments has been overall quite spotty when it comes to developing pro-ready guards, Arizona hasn't yet proven they can stay in the upper-echelon, and Duke under Kara Lawson has simply not gotten the chance to prove anything yet – if I wanna be fair and nitpick all of Rice's finalists as potential fits for her. Laughing All that said, no wrong choice when taking everything into consideration.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 11/04/21 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yay!!!!

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/04/21 6:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I never thought UConn had much of a chance for Rice, given their traffic jam at guard-wing for the next 2-3 years and the less than elite academic reputation of the school compared to Stanford, Duke and UCLA.

However, I do find it generally surprising that a star women's basketball player/star student would choose UCLA over Stanford for either basketball or academics, especially since Stanford has an immediate opening at point guard. Maybe the beaches and weather of LA play a positive role.

Or, because head coaches are so important to so many recruits, maybe there was some concern that Tara won't coach for another five years. After all, there were strong rumors that she might retire after winning the NC last season.
adamj95

PostPosted: 11/04/21 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At least UConn didn't get her. Good for UCLA, sounds like a great get.

PostPosted: 11/04/21 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

congrats to UCLA. If we couldn't get her, at least she's in the P12.

GEF34

PostPosted: 11/04/21 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Howee wrote:
greatgator wrote:
Sounds like she knows what she wants https://twitter.com/wslam/status/1444014259139059717

...."I wanna go somewhere where we're gonna be competing for National Championships every year"

Ironically, in choosing UCLA, she picked the one school out of her five finalists that has never made the Final Four of the NCAA Tournament. Perhaps then, Rice would like to be the one who leads the Bruins to their first one. That would be legitimately leaving behind a legacy if she's interested in that. Maybe that was Close's biggest selling point to her.

Yes, Cori Close is a standup human being and was already a fabulous recruiter before this commitment. She had accumulated the #2 recruiting class in the nation for 2022 (only behind Oregon) before today, so it's interesting to hear anyone say that she was due for a break like this after not only the others in the incoming class whom she wrangled up, but also her squandering the #1-ranked Jordin Canada class several years back. Great person, great recruiter, sus coach. JMO.

But how good would UCLA have been if they actually had the entire #1 class played for 4 years and they were all healthy. By the time 4 years had passed they were basically a class of 3 (came in as a class of 5). Even if you just take out Recee' Caldwell, would the 4 that stayed been a #1 class I doubt it. And that's not including the injuries to Lajahna Drummer that caused her to miss multiple games and a year with her class which is why she played a senior year as part of the 2019 class instead of her 2018 class. Of course those are all part of college athletics, but they do make a difference when analyzing the overall careers of that 2014 signing class.

Howee

PostPosted: 11/04/21 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Current "Usual Suspects" NOT getting all the very best players is a thing good....it's a big help in nurturing parity and cultivating diversity in our fandom.

Good for YOU, Pat! Cool

PostPosted: 11/04/21 11:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
The Current "Usual Suspects" NOT getting all the very best players is a thing good....it's a big help in nurturing parity and cultivating diversity in our fandom.

Good for YOU, Pat! Cool

Yeah, I'm pretty happy right now! Also, yes, I think Stanford and UConn are gonna be just fine, and am not worried for their futures.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 11/04/21 11:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Howee wrote:
greatgator wrote:

But how good would UCLA have been if they actually had the entire #1 class played for 4 years and they were all healthy. By the time 4 years had passed they were basically a class of 3 (came in as a class of 5). Even if you just take out Recee' Caldwell, would the 4 that stayed been a #1 class I doubt it. And that's not including the injuries to Lajahna Drummer that caused her to miss multiple games and a year with her class which is why she played a senior year as part of the 2019 class instead of her 2018 class. Of course those are all part of college athletics, but they do make a difference when analyzing the overall careers of that 2014 signing class.

The #2 class that cycle was South Carolina's A'ja Wilson class: SC had a class of four 5-stars including the overall #1 (Wilson), compared to UCLA's class of five 5-star players.

As it turned out, Wilson was the only primary producer for the next 4 years out of that class. Two of them (Jatarie White and Kaydra Duckett) transferred out early on without making much of an impact. Bianca Cuevas-Moore stayed her entire eligibility with the Gamecocks, had one year that was lost to injury. She was mostly a reserve, never gaining control of her game to earn a starting role, although at times she had several double-digit scoring games and developed into a solid defensive presence.

In Wilson's 4 years as a Gamecock, they won a national title, reached another Final Four (lost to Notre Dame by 1 point), reached an Elite Eight, and reached a Sweet Sixteen where they were upset by Syracuse and that Gamecock team might have been as good of a team as the one that won the title....

LitePal

PostPosted: 11/04/21 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Only a while back I noted that Close gets less than half of what USC's Gottlieb gets. She is indeed due for a huge raise. BTW, Close has an Elite eight and Gottlieb has a Final Four. I know who's side I'm on if I'm the AD.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 11/05/21 1:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

But how good would UCLA have been if they actually had the entire #1 class played for 4 years and they were all healthy. By the time 4 years had passed they were basically a class of 3 (came in as a class of 5). Even if you just take out Recee' Caldwell, would the 4 that stayed been a #1 class? I doubt it. And that's not including the injuries to Lajahna Drummer that caused her to miss multiple games and a year with her class which is why she played a senior year as part of the 2019 class instead of her 2018 class. Of course those are all part of college athletics, but they do make a difference when analyzing the overall careers of that 2014 signing class.

Chronic or at least pesky injuries – to a single player, as none others back in that day were chronically injured – are one thing. But it's on the coaching staff to keep their recruited players engaged (ie prevent them from considering transferring out) and to develop them.

The thing about Close's teams is, they play this scrappy uptempo and at times very undersized style of ball (how often had they had a pure wing player at the 4?). But at the same time, in the now 9 years with Close as Head Coach, they've never finished a season with a 3PT% over 34%. Not a big hurdle, but you'd think that one of those talented teams would have had even an okay year from outside, considering how perimeter-oriented they are otherwise. Being something of a run-and-gun team without the "gun" part is such a clash. And when you're in the NCAA Tournament or even just the Conference Tournament, at some point, you simply must make your outside shots when you can't rely on particularly bruising post play. But too, when teams know that you generally can't hit your outside shots, they scheme for it defensively and it makes things that much harder. It's obvious to me why Close's teams over the years have finished Top 4 in the conference but never #1, Top 4 or 2 in the Pac-12 Tournament but never #1, and S16- or E8-bound (if that) in the Big Dance but never F4-bound. They don't have other weaknesses really, so I'm just surprised she's never been able to address her team's biggest one year after year.

But hell, they've at least been a very good program for several years now. Maybe the odds will simply work in their favor one year in the Tourney and they'll get hot from the perimeter for consecutive games. Could even be this year.

ucbart

PostPosted: 11/05/21 8:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
Only a while back I noted that Close gets less than half of what USC's Gottlieb gets. She is indeed due for a huge raise. BTW, Close has an Elite eight and Gottlieb has a Final Four. I know who's side I'm on if I'm the AD.

Gottleib has a FF with Joanne Boyle's recruits. Gottleib didn't recruit that well at Cal and was a bubble team almost every year towards the end of her tenure. I think she under achieved at Cal.

LitePal

PostPosted: 11/05/21 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="ucbart"][quote="LitePal"]Only a while back I noted that Close gets less than half of what USC's Gottlieb gets. She is indeed due for a huge raise. BTW, Close has an Elite eight and Gottlieb has a Final Four. I know who's side I'm on if I'm the AD.[/quote]

Gottleib has a FF with Joanne Boyle's recruits. Gottleib didn't recruit that well at Cal and was a bubble team almost every year towards the end of her tenure. I think she under achieved at Cal.[/quote]

The remark was meant as an answer to those who try to downplay Close's achievements. The FF somehow brought Gottlieb to USC with a one million dollar salary, which is, IMO, outrageous. Although Close has not gotten to the FF, she has consistently done a good job, has represented the university well and has not had a whiff of scandal. If anything, I think UCLA is proud to have someone emulate former Gymnastics coach Val Kondos Fields. Of course, Close has to win a championship for that to truly happen but some fans will never be happy. She has also improved attendance (still unimpressive but better than the meager beginnings) but I think WBB will always be a tougher sell in Westwood.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/05/21 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Close is obviously a very nice person and her players like her. But I've always thought she was what I call a rah, rah coach. If you listen in her timeouts, she sounds like someone's nice ol gramma. Maybe coaching USA level with other coaches will improve her XO's, which have been kinda lacking.

Gottlieb has yet to prove herself IMO. Also very nice. My impression is she may be able to coach, but she needs to have a good recruiter on her staff, because that looked pretty ugly at Cal. But I'm all for women coaches getting big contracts so good for her. Now hopefully she earns it.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 11/05/21 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gottlieb had a great F4 run that one year, something she'll always be able to say, but she wasn't able to sustain anything close to that level. Cal after that should've at least become what UCLA is now – a perennial 2nd-weekend Big Dance team. So, it's probably good that she's no longer with Cal, but maybe going to the NBA for a bit as well as having that time to reflect on where things might've gone wrong at Cal will serve her well at USC. She's probably overpaid, but she'll have plenty of opportunity to prove that her pay is justified.

Back to UCLA: with Kiki Rice (considered a PG) now on board, the Bruins have seven total commits in the Class of 2022, including Top-40 ranked guards Paris Clark and Londynn Jones. I always side-eye recruiting classes bigger than five players, because there are only five starting spots... Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how many of those seven are still with UCLA by the '25-'26 season, particularly the Rice-Clark-Jones trio.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: