RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

What will YOU be watching for this season?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 11/03/21 12:00 pm    ::: What will YOU be watching for this season? Reply Reply with quote

Over at ESPN Voepel and Creme identify biggest questions for upcoming season

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/32538057/the-biggest-questions-women-college-basketball-entering-2021-22-season.

What are some things you will be paying extra attention to (either with regards to your favorite team or some other program).

Last edited by NoDakSt on 11/03/21 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
adamj95

PostPosted: 11/03/21 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am hoping to see the Gophers finish with a winning record in the conference and return to the NCAA tournament. Other teams I’m excited to see how they do are FGCU, South Dakota State, UW Parkside (D2 school), and Northland (NJCAA school, former gopher Shannon Nelson is the coach).

PostPosted: 11/03/21 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoping to see JMU prove the sportswriters WRONG by winning the CAA again this season. Also hoping the Dukes will soon be out of that ratty little conference.

PostPosted: 11/03/21 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm excited to see how all the new coaches, transfers and freshmen impact their teams and conferences. Duke, North Carolina, Syracuse, Virginia, Rutgers, Texas, UCLA, Arizona, Washington, USC, Arkansas, Auburn and Vanderbilt are all pretty big mysteries at this point. It'll be fun to see how those teams turn out.

PostPosted: 11/03/21 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm of course very interested in seeing my Washington Huskies this season, as I've reiterated.

It'll be interesting for everyone to see what the Connecticut Huskies look like this year. I don't think I've ever seen them this deep. As the article above intimated, who knows how Auriemma manages this roster. I say, start Bueckers, Williams, Westbrook, ONO, and Juhász. You can't bench Bueckers of course, and then starting all the Draft-eligible players on the roster will make it more likely that they'll end up entering it, where it'll become easier for the talented younger players on the bench to see a path forward to eventually starting so that they don't get discouraged and transfer out. Too, there'll be bench balance – Mühl, Fudd, Griffin, and Edwards (+ any one other player on this roster) could honestly start for their own championship-contending program somewhere else. It'll be a scary good rotation. Everyone else on the team should probably consider redshirting... or just transferring by winter break, honestly.

Last edited by Stormeo on 11/03/21 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
myrtle

PostPosted: 11/03/21 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The P12 in general. I'm excited about a number of teams. Of course Stanford at the top! Laughing
Arizona, UCLA, the Oregon schools, Washington all have major change pieces so how they all work out will be fun to see. And I really enjoyed watching WSU last year so looking forward to seeing them again, even though it doesn't appear they've added a big post, which is what they really need. Still they will be exciting.

Nationally, I'm interested to see if Notre Dame can make a return to relevance or at least head in the right direction. Curious to see what Kara can do with Duke. It'll be fun to see UConn v. SCaro and how that goes. Maryland plays NCSt and Stanford early'ish in OOC play so those games will certainly be interesting. The coaching changes in the SEC and what happens there.

Mostly I hope for injury free and covid free seasons!

ucbart

PostPosted: 11/03/21 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm obviously excited to see UCONN, but I really want to see what Emily Engstler does at Louisville. She just has a boat load of talent and I want to see how she does with a real coach who knows how to maximize her.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 11/03/21 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m always interested in coaching transition and of course this year there are plenty of situations to absorb my interest: Kim/LSU, Collen/Baylor, Lawson/Duke, Novak/MSU, Read/Cuse, Gotlieb/WOT, geralds/Purdue JennieB/OK and just down my road, EWU.

Extra attention will be paid to Gary’s final season.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/03/21 5:54 pm    ::: Re: What will YOU be watching for this season? Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Over at ESPN Voepel and Creme identify biggest questions for upcoming season

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/32538057/the-biggest-questions-women-college-basketball-entering-2021-22-season.

What are some things you will be paying extra attention to (either with regards to your favorite team or some other program).

I have a little quibble here:
Quote:
Every team in the women's Final Four last season -- national champion Stanford, runner-up Arizona and semifinalists South Carolina and UConn -- added at least one transfer for the 2021-22 women's college basketball season.

While it's literally true, it's a little hard to put Stanford's transfer - a guard who can't shoot - in the same sentence with the transfers those other teams added. Laughing

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 11/03/21 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looking to see South Carolina improve on their field goal % and turnovers. Poor FG % and turnovers played the major roles in all 5 losses for the Gamecocks last season. With the increased depth at all positions, hopefully the team will have greater options for offense whenever 1 or 2 players struggle to get their games going.

Poor ball control and turnovers from the guard play was also an issue. Henderson ended up leading the SEC in assists and assists per game, but had way too many turnovers.

Improved perimeter scoring would also be a big improvement for the offense overall - both G's Henderson and Cooke shot north of 40% from the three, but overall they and the team did not shoot a lot of them. Improved perimeter scoring would help keep opposing defenses more honest and keep them from collapsing into the paint on our post players, but mainly improved shooting efficiency and better ball control would greatly impact the team to start with.

I expect the team to lead the WCBB in rebounding and shot blocking this coming season. The greater depth may also help improve the team's scoring defense, which could also have been better than what it was last season....

Queenie

PostPosted: 11/03/21 9:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can anyone on St. John's score other than Leilani Correa? Will the St. John's ticket office actually figure out how to process my season ticket order before the 10th?

Will Naz Hillmon develop game slightly further away from the basket or fall prey to the dreaded tweener curse?

Is Fordham ready for this jelly?

How fun is Seton Hall going to be this year? (and tangentially how much am I not going to enjoy rooting against them when they play St. John's?)

How much can I actually pretend to care about Tennessee for Joy McCorvey's sake?

(now with spelling variations)
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 11/03/21 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Duke, of course, has all the AA transfers coming to play for Coach Kara. Perhaps more interesting will be the improvements of players who stayed. Jade Williams, Miela Goodchild, Onome Akinbode-James. They woke up under a lucky star and get to play for a REAL coach now. Jade showed in the four games last year glimpses of the McDAA player she came in as. Miela is eternally grateful that the coach listened to the players to keep them safe last year. Coming from a country that shut down the virus, she very much understands the importance of that decision and is playing with renewed energy. I expect Jade and Miela will start - Jade is virtually certain due to dearth of posts. Miela will work hard to earn minutes, having had over a year to learn what Kara expects on both sides of the ball. Onome will play real minutes but will have to earn more by battling with Imani Lewis in practice. I'm expecting Balogun will actually start at PF due to her skillset and extensive experience in D1 ball, but who will play the most minutes is to be determined. Amaya Finkley-Guity is available to back up Jade Williams, giving Duke more height in the post.

~rAf
Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 11/03/21 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Right now I'm just looking forward to seeing games in person again. I went to a Marquette volleyball game on Friday and it was cool and weird to be back in the Al again - hadn't been there since Feb. 2020.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 11/03/21 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Duke, of course, has all the AA transfers coming to play for Coach Kara. Perhaps more interesting will be the improvements of players who stayed. Jade Williams, Miela Goodchild, Onome Akinbode-James. They woke up under a lucky star and get to play for a REAL coach now. Jade showed in the four games last year glimpses of the McDAA player she came in as. Miela is eternally grateful that the coach listened to the players to keep them safe last year. Coming from a country that shut down the virus, she very much understands the importance of that decision and is playing with renewed energy. I expect Jade and Miela will start - Jade is virtually certain due to dearth of posts. Miela will work hard to earn minutes, having had over a year to learn what Kara expects on both sides of the ball. Onome will play real minutes but will have to earn more by battling with Imani Lewis in practice. I'm expecting Balogun will actually start at PF due to her skillset and extensive experience in D1 ball, but who will play the most minutes is to be determined. Amaya Finkley-Guity is available to back up Jade Williams, giving Duke more height in the post.

Duke is dangerous. I'm already nervous for their match-up with Iowa in the BigTen/ACC challenge. I'd much rather face them at the beginning of the season than the end, but it will be interesting to see just how much time it will take the roster to find their stride.

PostPosted: 11/04/21 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No surprise, I am watching to see how the start of the Katie Gearlds era goes at Purdue. Purdue won't be a good team this year - Versyp's slow destruction of a national power has left the cupboard close to completely empty. But I am going to look for some improvement, a surprising result or two. Mostly I am going to look for some joy on the court, which had been missing for years.

I am somewhere between skeptical and cautiously optimist about the hiring of Gearlds, but even some move toward respectability would be a win this year.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/04/21 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Paige Bueckers, Azzi Fudd and Caroline DuCharme.

How much Covid protocols will be relaxed or not for women college basketball players, who naturally have little Covid fatality risk plus likely near universal vaccination status.

How full of fans arenas are.
mzonefan

PostPosted: 11/04/21 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Queenie"]Can anyone on St. John's score other than Leilani Correa? Will the St. John's ticket office actually figure out how to process my season ticket order before the 10th?

Will Naz Hillmon develop game slightly further away from the basket or fall prey to the dreaded tweener curse?
[\quote]

Based on a half of exhibition, I think she’s ready to answer that for you!

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 11/04/21 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Paige Bueckers, Azzi Fudd and Caroline DuCharme.

How much Covid protocols will be relaxed or not for women college basketball players, who naturally have little Covid fatality risk plus likely near universal vaccination status.

How full of fans arenas are.

And how Covid infections start ticking up again when everyone heads inside...and while there's a small risk of fatality among young athletes, there is a small, but significant risk of disability. Plenty of young professional athletes have had their careers disrupted - maybe permanently.

Some schools are requiring more proof of vaccination/negative tests than others. All it takes is one nutjob gaming the system in to infect multiple people - including athletes. The virus is still infecting and killing people, with numbers likely to rise again soon.

~rAf
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 11/04/21 11:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
Right now I'm just looking forward to seeing games in person again. I went to a Marquette volleyball game on Friday and it was cool and weird to be back in the Al again - hadn't been there since Feb. 2020.

My absence is longer than yours. I have not been back there since the collapse of the old Big East Conference.

PostPosted: 10/22/23 6:37 pm    ::: What are you hoping to see this season? Reply Reply with quote

wrong thread

PostPosted: 10/22/23 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll be interested to see how well LSU does the season. In addition to the obvious reasons, I'll be intrigued if their strategy of scheduling cupcakes works out.

Obviously it did last year but one should be cautious about ever drawing a conclusion from a single season. If it happens again, many coaches may rethink their scheduling strategy.

Ladyvol777

PostPosted: 10/25/23 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lady Vol's all the way.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: