RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Flopping

View previous topic :: View next topic  
root_thing

PostPosted: 10/25/21 10:54 am    ::: Flopping Reply Reply with quote

While researching when the WNBA extended their 3-point line, I accidentally found a rule about flopping. I had forgotten that the league tried to crack down on flopping back in 2013.

Quote:
“Flopping” will be defined as any physical act that, upon review, reasonably appears to have been intended to cause the referees to call a foul on another player.

Quote:
Any player who is determined to have committed a flop during the regular season will, upon the first offense, receive a warning. Subsequent violations will result in fines of increasing amounts. Beginning with a sixth violation, a player will be subject to a further increased fine and/or suspension.

https://www.startribune.com/wnba-to-extend-three-point-line/183373501/

It's interesting that they chose to make the penalty a fine rather than free throws. Maybe the league feels this is too controversial to deal with during the game itself? When the rule says "upon review," I'm assuming this is by the league office after the game. Otherwise, I've never seen an in-game flopping review. For that matter, does anyone remember any player actually being fined for flopping?

PostPosted: 10/25/21 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, I think they were trying to avoid putting yet another call/decision on the officials' plates, so they make the flopping calls after the fact. Hence it can't result in free throws.

They're still doing it, technically, and they wouldn't tell you even if there were any fines (the same way they never actually announce fines for techs or flagrants). However, there were four flopping warnings in the entire 2021 season (to four different players, so no fines). Can't remember if anyone ever got more than one in a season, and hence got a fine. But the first tier of fines is $100, so not exactly going to break the bank anyway...

PostPosted: 10/25/21 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How do you know about the four players who received warnings this season -- inside source or is this public information somewhere?

PostPosted: 10/25/21 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sourced. They also intermittently put up a list of techs/flagrants/flops on the NBA/WNBA Media Central site over the course of the season, making the info semi-public (anyone with a login could see it, but you probably need some connection to media to get them to let you have one). They also never updated that list after September 6th this season, so it's somewhat incomplete.

PostPosted: 10/25/21 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I suppose semi-public is as much as we can expect from a league not known for transparency. Thanks.

PostPosted: 10/25/21 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
They also intermittently put up a list of techs/flagrants/flops on the NBA/WNBA Media Central site over the course of the season, making the info semi-public (anyone with a login could see it, but you probably need some connection to media to get them to let you have one).

To give you an idea of how few people were covering the W back in the day and how desperate they were for positive coverage, they gave me access to it based on my W website back when they first launched it in the mid 00's. Before that they had been sending me a big box of media guides and such at the start of each season.

PostPosted: 10/25/21 6:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Somewhere out there, noted floppers Danielle Adams, Mery Andrade, Tari Phillips, and DeMya Walker are probably thankful they are no longer playing. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 10/25/21 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
Somewhere out there, noted floppers Danielle Adams, Mery Andrade, Tari Phillips, and DeMya Walker are probably thankful they are no longer playing. Rolling Eyes

YOU TAKE TARI'S NAME OUT OF YOUR MOUTH RIGHT NOW

(now with spelling variations)
root_thing

PostPosted: 10/26/21 12:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, who are the four players who got warned this season? And how is the process initiated? For instance, if Cambage keels over after being bumped by Dangerfield, who notifies the league office? The referees? The opposing coach? Anonymous call to the WNBA hotline? WikiLeaks?

PostPosted: 10/26/21 10:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Copper, Jaz Jones, JThomas and McCowan were the four this year. The League determines whether a player flopped following video review, but I don't know who suggests that they should review any given play. Maybe in theory they're watching all of them and just pick them out themselves, but that seems like a stretch.

PostPosted: 10/26/21 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They review every game to evaluate the refs. I assume they looked at it then.

PostPosted: 10/26/21 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Copper, Jaz Jones, JThomas and McCowan were the four this year. The League determines whether a player flopped following video review, but I don't know who suggests that they should review any given play. Maybe in theory they're watching all of them and just pick them out themselves, but that seems like a stretch.

When I think of chronic floppers, those are not players who come to mind. Shocked The process sounds pretty random to me.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: