RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

SEC 21-22
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 10/20/21 9:15 am    ::: SEC 21-22 Reply Reply with quote

The Southeastern Conference Thread for everything SEC.

The SEC Media Days have concluded, with a panel of SEC and national media members choosing the order for winning the SEC regular-season title for 2021-22 yesterday (Tuesday). South Carolina was chosen to win the title - the sixth time in the last eight seasons the group has predicted the Gamecocks as regular-season champion:

2022 SEC Preseason Media Poll
1. South Carolina
2. Tennessee
3. Texas A&M
4. Kentucky
5. Georgia
6. Arkansas
7. LSU
8. Ole Miss
9. Mississippi State
10. Alabama
11. Missouri
12. Florida
13. Auburn
14. Vanderbilt

Preseason Player of the Year
Rhyne Howard, Kentucky

Preseason All-SEC
Rhyne Howard, Kentucky
Khayla Pointer, LSU
Shakira Austin, Ole Miss
Aliyah Boston, South Carolina
Zia Cooke, South Carolina

https://www.secsports.com/article/32430653/media-tabs-south-carolina-2022-sec-champion

Last season, the preseason picks were as follows:

1. South Carolina
2. Kentucky
3. Texas A&M
4. Arkansas
5. Mississippi State
6. Tennessee
7. LSU
8. Alabama
9. Georgia
10. Missouri
11. Ole Miss
12. Florida
13. Vanderbilt
14. Auburn

The standings ended as follows:

1. Texas A&M 13-1
2. South Carolina 14-2
3. Tennessee 9-4
4. Georgia 10-5
5. Kentucky 9-6
6. Arkansas 9-6
7. Alabama 8-8
8. Louisiana State 6-8
9. Mississippi State 5-7
10. Missouri 5-9
11. Mississippi 4-10
12. Florida 3-11
13. Auburn 0-15
14. Vanderbilt 0-3

Big movers last season was Georgia from 9th to 4th, and Miss State from 5th to 9th. The bottom five (5) ended up as the bottom five....

ucbart

PostPosted: 10/20/21 11:10 am    ::: Re: SEC 21-22 Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
The Southeastern Conference Thread for everything SEC.

The SEC Media Days have concluded, with a panel of SEC and national media members choosing the order for winning the SEC regular-season title for 2021-22 yesterday (Tuesday). South Carolina was chosen to win the title - the sixth time in the last eight seasons the group has predicted the Gamecocks as regular-season champion:

2022 SEC Preseason Media Poll
1. South Carolina
2. Tennessee
3. Texas A&M
4. Kentucky
5. Georgia
6. Arkansas
7. LSU
8. Ole Miss
9. Mississippi State
10. Alabama
11. Missouri
12. Florida
13. Auburn
14. Vanderbilt

Preseason Player of the Year
Rhyne Howard, Kentucky

Preseason All-SEC
Rhyne Howard, Kentucky
Khayla Pointer, LSU
Shakira Austin, Ole Miss
Aliyah Boston, South Carolina
Zia Cooke, South Carolina

https://www.secsports.com/article/32430653/media-tabs-south-carolina-2022-sec-champion

Last season, the preseason picks were as follows:

1. South Carolina
2. Kentucky
3. Texas A&M
4. Arkansas
5. Mississippi State
6. Tennessee
7. LSU
8. Alabama
9. Georgia
10. Missouri
11. Ole Miss
12. Florida
13. Vanderbilt
14. Auburn

The standings ended as follows:

1. Texas A&M 13-1
2. South Carolina 14-2
3. Tennessee 9-4
4. Georgia 10-5
5. Kentucky 9-6
6. Arkansas 9-6
7. Alabama 8-8
8. Louisiana State 6-8
9. Mississippi State 5-7
10. Missouri 5-9
11. Mississippi 4-10
12. Florida 3-11
13. Auburn 0-15
14. Vanderbilt 0-3

Big movers last season was Georgia from 9th to 4th, and Miss State from 5th to 9th. The bottom five (5) ended up as the bottom five....

Of all the players on the All-SEC team, who is going to be the best pro? Austin has a game, size, frame, and versatility to be an awesome player in the W.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 10/20/21 11:21 am    ::: Re: SEC 21-22 Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Of all the players on the All-SEC team, who is going to be the best pro? Austin has a game, size, frame, and versatility to be an awesome player in the W.

Howard has all those things too.. it's Ok though we all know you hate her

PostPosted: 10/20/21 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shocked

Mr. Simpson, you hate Rhyne Howard???

Shocked

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 10/20/21 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pointer over Burrell is a surprise. And I'm not sure what the voters are seeing in Texas A&M that they don't see in Georgia.

PostPosted: 10/21/21 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Pointer over Burrell is a surprise. And I'm not sure what the voters are seeing in Texas A&M that they don't see in Georgia.

I agree: Texas A&M lost three of their 5 starters in Wilson, Jones, and Johnson - they constituted their top two scorers and three of their top five altogether, their top three rebounders, top three shot-blockers, and three of their top 4 stealers. That's a TON of production to have to replace in one off-season.

And it wasn't like last season was a season of heavy player rotation: all five starters started ALL 28 games they played, and 4 of 5 played 30+ minutes per game. Their top reserve Destiny Pitts (who's returning for 21-22) averaged 18+ mpg, then the next after her (Alexis Morris) averaged 9.4 mpg - and she's no longer on the team either.

So there's not a lot of reserves who played starter's minutes nor held starter's responsibilities last season on the roster. It should be a solid rebuild for the program for Coach Blair.

Meanwhile, Georgia returns all of their starters except Connally, which constitute their top 2 scorers and 5 of their top 6 scorers, their top 5 rebounders (Connally wasn't a big rebounder), and their top 3 assist makers. Connally was the Bulldog's top perimeter shooter, leading the team in 3-pt. attempts, makes, and %.

UGA as a team was NOT a big perimeter shooting team - I guess Mikayla Coombs will take Connally's spot in the starting lineup, but she is NOT a 3-pt shooter AT ALL. This will be the biggest impact on the Bulldog's Connally's departure will have. But overall you gotta think UGA will not have much of a restart for 21-22 from last season that the Aggies will surely have, so them being ranked above the Bulldogs confuses me.

But then UGA has been overlooked/dismissed by everyone else that has done rankings in the offseason. I guess they are thinking that UGA got off on some flukish momentum wave last season that had them finishing ranked 10th overall by the AP in the final poll, that likely won't happen again this season. That's the only rationale that I can think of, for ranking them so low. Good thing is, they get to prove everything right or wrong...

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 10/21/21 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Janiah Barker to Georgia!

Congratulations Joni!!!!

PostPosted: 10/21/21 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm just hoping Vandy finally gets out of the basement once. Shocked

PostPosted: 10/22/21 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

Unlikely this year. The Dores are pretty small and pretty inexperienced.

PostPosted: 10/22/21 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CHSHog wrote:
Howee wrote:

Unlikely this year. The Dores are pretty small and pretty inexperienced.

They could finish better than Auburn and Alabama, but I'd be shocked if those three weren't 12-14th. Even with everything going on at Florida they at least have a few proven scorers.

PostPosted: 10/25/21 11:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LSU is the wildcard of this conference for me. They basically have been gifted an entire staff of championship winning coaches, two players familiar with their system, and an interesting mix of experienced players and solid young pieces. Even with the small backcourt, it wouldn't surprise me if they finished top 4 in the conference.

PostPosted: 10/27/21 7:57 am    ::: Re: SEC 21-22 Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
ucbart wrote:

Howard has all those things too.. it's Ok though we all know you hate
her

I don't hate her, but I do think she's a brat who doesn't give nearly the full effort a player of her caliber should.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 10/28/21 7:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gary Blair will he announce today that he is retiring after this season.

https://theeagle.com/sports/college/aggiesports/womens_basketball/source-texas-a-m-womens-basketball-coach-blair-to-retire-at-seasons-end/article_18f15f8a-3796-11ec-972f-b726836c5c45.html

PostPosted: 10/28/21 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Gary Blair will he announce today that he is retiring after this season.

https://theeagle.com/sports/college/aggiesports/womens_basketball/source-texas-a-m-womens-basketball-coach-blair-to-retire-at-seasons-end/article_18f15f8a-3796-11ec-972f-b726836c5c45.html

Wow. Blair has had a long successful career. He is currently 838-333 overall as a head coach - - and is currently 154-117 in the SEC as head coach at both Arkansas and Texas A&M. That currently leads the current coaches in SEC wins - Dawn Staley is hot on his heels at 152-54.

By comparison, Pat Summitt is the all-time leader in SEC wins with 306-44, and former longtime Georgia Bulldogs coach Andy Landers is 273-144.

Blair's 838 wins puts him at 14th all-time in most wins, although he stands a strong chance of surpassing several coaches in this final season, including Landers who is #11 with 862 total wins: his Aggies will have to win 27 games this season for Blair to catch Robin Selvig's 865 wins, which currently sits at #10 all-time.....

hyperetic

PostPosted: 11/01/21 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Four teams from the SEC made the preseason top 25. Four more got votes. Of those four ( Georgia, LSU, Arkansas, and Ole Miss), which do you think most has a chance to crack the top 25 over the course of the season? Of all 8, which ones do you think will make the tourney?
ucbart

PostPosted: 11/01/21 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
Four teams from the SEC made the preseason top 25. Four more got votes. Of those four ( Georgia, LSU, Arkansas, and Ole Miss), which do you think most has a chance to crack the top 25 over the course of the season? Of all 8, which ones do you think will make the tourney?

Probably Georgia, but I will take a team coached by Kim Mulkey any day in this scenario. She is already the best coach in the SEC.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/01/21 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
hyperetic wrote:

Probably Georgia, but I will take a team coached by Kim Mulkey any day in this scenario. She is already the best coach in the SEC.

agree with UC. Georgia has all the pieces in place so should be pretty good. LSU I doubt has enough even with Mulkey, but if anybody can put it together, she could. Arky lost a lot with their top two scorers so will depend a lot on if Goforth and Wolfenbarger can step in and contribute right away.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 11/01/21 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Generally agree. SEC should get 8, possibly 9 teams in. Georgia, Ole Miss and LSU should get in. 1, maybe 2 of Arkansas, Mississippi State and Missouri as well. Florida, Alabama, Vanderbilt and Auburn would have to have miracle seasons to have a chance.

PostPosted: 11/01/21 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think most people felt that Georgia was being sort of low-balled by the pre-season rankings based on how they finished last season. Kind of tough to finish ranked in the top 10 and then not even be ranked in the top 25 the next season, when you're bringing back most of your starters and also brought in a solid recruiting class. Georgia is the obviously first choice here....

LSU has some quality talent, and Mulkey knows how to coach. Fargas always seemed to be a good defensive-minded head coach, but her team's offenses were always weak, like she didn't know how to draw up good offensive sets. I think Mulkey can make a difference there that can have the team improve substantially. They could make a run this season, and if they get close, the media pollsters will bump them up into the top 25 just because of her name cachet...

Those are my top choices. Arkansas has improved under Neighbors but lost a HUGE offensive producer last season. Ole Miss is improving but I'm not sure they will get there fast enough this season....

hyperetic

PostPosted: 11/02/21 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just curious, pertaining to Arkansas, the biggest knock seems to be a loss of known scoring. With that in mind, Arkansas has an offensive minded/scorer mentality grad assistant coach on the bench in Kelsey Plum. Doesn't that raise the odds that Arkansas will find scorers to fill the void? And no, I am not suggesting Plum will play for Arkansas in disguise. Laughing Laughing Laughing
SPD

PostPosted: 11/02/21 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Definitely Georgia will move into the top 25. With most of last year's line up coming back, I think they should of been in the top 25 to begin with.

basketballologist

PostPosted: 11/02/21 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My Preseason Order of Finish

1: South Carolina
2: Kentucky
3: Tennessee
4: Louisiana State
5: Mississippi
6: Texas A&M
7: Georgia
8: Arkansas
9: Alabama
10: Missouri
11: Auburn
12: Mississippi State
13: Florida
14: Vanderbilt

NOTABLE SUBTRACTIONS:

Kentucky - Blair Green
Tennessee - Marta Suarez
Mississippi State - Jessika Carter

Howee

PostPosted: 11/02/21 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SPD wrote:
Definitely Georgia will move into the top 25. With most of last year's line up coming back, I think they should of been in the top 25 to begin with.

Welcome to Rebs, spd! Cool

PostPosted: 11/02/21 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks very much! I'm a long time lurker (grin)

undersized_post

PostPosted: 11/11/21 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Belmont defeats Ole Miss 62-50.

Destinee Wells of Belmont 21 point (on 6-19 shooting) and 6 assists.

Shakira Austin 5 points (on 2-9 shooting), 3 TO, 4 fouls.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: