RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Politically Correct. Where is the line?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 01/12/16 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
norwester wrote:
But I wasn't talking about burkas. I agree with you that they're a rather ridiculously obvious opression. Confused

They're also not common in the US.

Shocked

Ex-squeeze me!?!?

Not common in the US? Come to LA. Common here. Unseen ten and maybe even just five years ago. Everyday part of the landscape now.

Burqas? I've never seen anyone wearing one here. Hijabs maybe, but burqas are still very rare.

PostPosted: 01/12/16 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry. Chador.

sambista

PostPosted: 01/12/16 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
norwester wrote:
But I wasn't talking about burkas. I agree with you that they're a rather ridiculously obvious opression. Confused

Shocked

Ex-squeeze me!?!?

Not common in the US? Come to LA. Common here. Unseen ten and maybe even just five years ago. Everyday part of the landscape now.

i'm beginning to think you've been in l.a. too long. your views are overly colored by your world in l.a. granted, it's your world. but there's a whole other, wide world out there.

PostPosted: 01/12/16 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
norwester wrote:

Shocked

Ex-squeeze me!?!?

i'm beginning to think you've been in l.a. too long. your views are overly colored by your world in l.a. granted, it's your world. but there's a whole other, wide world out there.

Of what, open fields and trees and shit? Track housing broken up by shopping areas? There are 30 million people in this and the surrounding counties.

Look. I agree with you. I know. But a lot of the stuff I write here I'm posting as a warning. I know it may not look this way in most parts of this country. I said that when I got here. But I can and now have obviously seen how what happens here first eventually comes home everywhere. When things are so small, when there's so little money, when things are worth so little, in comparison to all this, you understand how easily and quickly everything can change. It is determined that a law or regulation is holding back something out here. So it's changed, man. lol. The power says so. But it's changed everywhere. Where people have no power and no say so and don't even know what the argument is about or what's at stake.

That's why I rant. Laughing

And to crack myself up occasionally.

Howee

PostPosted: 01/12/16 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Sorry. Chador.

I think I know that Niqab bitch....doesn't she play for Morocco?

PostPosted: 01/12/16 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2016/01/11/wisconsin-high-school-basketball-air-ball-scoreboard-chants-banned

Quote:
the WIAA banned “chants by student sections directed at opponents and/or opponents’ supporters that are clearly intended to disrespect.”

The following words were reportedly included as examples:

• “Fundamentals”
• “Sieve”
• “We can’t hear you”
• “Air ball”
• “You can’t do that”
• “There’s a net there”
• “Scoreboard”

PostPosted: 01/12/16 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
How about the hijab, burka and what they represent in Western societies? Are they giving us a distorted view on Islamic status and treatment and attitudes towards women? Or is the politically correct enforcement of tolerance of those things distorting our view?

Hmmm. Now why is Muslim treatment of women even part of this discussion, never mind their 'dress code'? If this is fuel for disparaging and/or fearing them, then please be fair minded, and include the many you DON'T see in L.A.: The millions of Amish, Mennonite, Mormon, Hutterite, etc., women that adhere to restrictive dress codes, meant to symbolize subservience to their men. They're Christian! Shocked (....and we might want to be egalitarian enough to include the Jewish Tzniut codes, too. ) Singling out the Muslims in this regard is just short-sighted, even IF popular.

PostPosted: 01/12/16 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
TonyL222 wrote:
Howee, I live in DC and know many Muslims who aren't trying to cut off my head. My point was that there seems to be such a large proportion of radical Islamist compared to the whole, that maybe the message of Islam more easily leads itself to a radical interpretation.

Perhaps the media and politicians are giving you a distorted view of how widespread the radicalism is.

Perhaps. But mostly its studies like this:

THE WORLD’S MUSLIMS: RELIGION, POLITICS AND SOCIETY

On page 29, a large majority say suicide bombings are rarely/never justified. But the percentage who do is fairly significant IMO, considering the large number of Muslims in the world.

On the hijab - one of my daughter's best friends in HS was Muslim and wore a hijab. Her older sister did not. Never met her father, but I concluded that in that family the hijab was a choice.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/12/16 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TonyL222 wrote:
pilight wrote:
TonyL222 wrote:
Howee, I live in DC and know many Muslims who aren't trying to cut off my head. My point was that there seems to be such a large proportion of radical Islamist compared to the whole, that maybe the message of Islam more easily leads itself to a radical interpretation.

Perhaps the media and politicians are giving you a distorted view of how widespread the radicalism is.

On page 29, a large majority say suicide bombings are rarely/never justified. But the percentage who do is fairly significant IMO, considering the large number of Muslims in the world.

To take a single study and accept it as "proof" is itself and act of faith.

PostPosted: 01/12/16 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Are there entire Amish, Mennonite, Mormon, Hutterite, nations where women have little or no rights? What are the numbers of Amish, Mennonite, Mormon, Hutterites in comparison to Muslims world wide? Are ANY Amish, Mennonite, Mormon, Hutterites of any consequence doing anything to distinguish themselves from other devout religions such as, oh, I don't know, blowing things up, mass shootings, random stabbings, pledging and plotting to destroy and terrorize the west? Are Amish, Mennonite, Mormon, Hutterites seeking to come to the US in large numbers due to the endless strife destruction and warfare and murder committed by other Amish, Mennonite, Mormon, Hutterites where they originate from?

TonyL222

PostPosted: 01/12/16 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
TonyL222 wrote:
pilight wrote:
TonyL222 wrote:

To take a single study and accept it as "proof" is itself and act of faith.

I didn't say it was "proof". It's a Pew Research sample survey. But it is information.

Last edited by TonyL222 on 01/13/16 6:49 am; edited 1 time in total
mercfan3

PostPosted: 01/12/16 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
pilight wrote:
TonyL222 wrote:

How about the hijab, burka and what they represent in Western societies? Are they giving us a disiorted view on Islamic status and treatment and attitudes towards women? Or is the politically correct enforcement of tolerance of those things distorting our view?

Political correctness and cultural relativism are two different things.

But to answer the question...honestly I have mixed feelings. Obviously there are some cases where they are oppressive. Certain facets of Islam certainly deserve criticism there. Any time there's oppression of any group of people, that demo deserves criticism.

But what about for women who aren't being forced. Who believe in the values of "modesty"? And choose to cover.

I feel like oppression is when a woman doesn't have a choice. And therefore in those cases (and there are plenty of those cases) At the same time, I have to think that any woman who feels that modesty aka virginity is what determines a woman's value, or in other cases, where women feel that they like to cover because they feel men take them more seriously..are probably oppressed. But that sort of, more subtle oppression exists in more than just Islamic cultures.

Also, here's an example of polls about Christianity/abortion clinic bombers.

"That adds up to about 31 percent of all Americans who, while they don't condone acts like the shooting in Colorado Springs, see them as no worse than the abortion providers they target."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/americans-abortion-poll_5661e77be4b08e945fef5d88

Agreeing with the actual act was a very small percentage, but this poll did a good job breaking it down. And my guess is, that if you took the time to survey Muslims, you'd get similar results.

PostPosted: 01/12/16 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 01/12/16 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Are there entire Amish, Mennonite, Mormon, Hutterite, nations where women have little or no rights? What are the numbers of Amish, Mennonite, Mormon, Hutterites in comparison to Muslims world wide? Are ANY Amish, Mennonite, Mormon, Hutterites of any consequence doing anything to distinguish themselves from other devout religions such as, oh, I don't know, blowing things up, mass shootings, random stabbings, pledging and plotting to destroy and terrorize the west? Are Amish, Mennonite, Mormon, Hutterites seeking to come to the US in large numbers due to the endless strife destruction and warfare and murder committed by other Amish, Mennonite, Mormon, Hutterites where they originate from?

....and this feeds the point: These groups are NOT doing such things, so we don't criticize their male-centric religious practices. But Muslim women in their hajibs, et. al., are fair game?? Majority or not, they don't have a monopoly on suppression of females. And this is hardly the biggest problem they present to US.

PostPosted: 01/12/16 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee if there's a comparatively minuscule and inconsequential number of people doing something... it has no impact on society at large. When numbers are involved it's an entirely different issue. My goodness, you are asking what difference this makes? Now? After Germany is reeling from a mass culture clash involving Muslim men absolutely unprepared for the sight of Western women out freely celebrating in the streets at night? To quote Joe Biden, Come on, man.

p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 01/14/16 6:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/LOLGOP/status/687397077228322817

Howee

PostPosted: 01/14/16 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Howee if there's a comparatively minuscule and inconsequential number of people doing something... it has no impact on society at large. When numbers are involved it's an entirely different issue. My goodness, you are asking what difference this makes? Now? After Germany is reeling from a mass culture clash involving Muslim men absolutely unprepared for the sight of Western women out freely celebrating in the streets at night? To quote Joe Biden, Come on, man.

Well, ya....it DOES have an impact. Okay: agreed....an Amish woman's bonnet is irrelevant here. But just because it is part of an small minority, doesn't mean it isn't symbolic of 'male repression', which seems to be what people here are conflating with The Evils of Islam.

My point is, if it's okay to mock/denigrate Muslims because of their female dress codes, which-->means they're abusive to women-->deserve our hatred/deportation/etc., (whether there's many or few) then we're on a very slippery slope.

I still believe we're in trouble if we *just* want to hate Islam. Is The Evil perpetrated by Muslims any more evil than that which we saw perpetrated by Hitler? Pol Pot? Idi Amin? They didn't hit as close to home, but still....I can remember my parents talking about how they dare not speak German in public during that time: public fear/hatred of such things is irrational and harmful.

PostPosted: 01/14/16 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Irrational fear of anything is harmful. Including irrational fear of irrational fear.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 02/04/16 5:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
norwester wrote:

Shocked

Ex-squeeze me!?!?

Burqas? I've never seen anyone wearing one here. Hijabs maybe, but burqas are still very rare.

I'm not sure what this is exactly. But whatever.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/04/16 8:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
pilight wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
norwester wrote:

Shocked

Ex-squeeze me!?!?

I'm not sure what this is exactly. But whatever.

That's not a burqa, that's a niqab.

A burqa covers the eyes as well, like this...

PostPosted: 05/22/17 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
When jackasses started getting women drunk and raping them, it pretty much ruined that drink name. Had people not crossed that line, the name would not have the same meaning and no one would blink at it. But since alcohol is a huge weapon in the arsenal of the rapist, naming a drink a "Panty Dropper" just reinforces that connection.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/dc-restaurant-pill-cosby-cocktail_us_59232a16e4b03b485cb3d630

Quote:
A newly opened pop-up restaurant, bar, and retail store in Washington D.C. has named one of its cocktails the “Pill Cosby”

PostPosted: 05/22/17 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That drink is so over the top with the pills floating in it that I actually believe he was trying to be satirical.

However, it is still a dumb idea and probably not the right place/subject to be trying out amateur satire.

PostPosted: 10/11/21 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Demi Lovato Says Calling Extraterrestrials 'Aliens' Is Offensive

https://z100.iheart.com/content/2021-10-11-demi-lovato-says-calling-extraterrestrials-aliens-is-offensive/

Quote:
But, I think that we have to stop calling them aliens because aliens is a derogatory term for anything

PostPosted: 10/11/21 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Demi Lovato Says Calling Extraterrestrials 'Aliens' Is Offensive

https://z100.iheart.com/content/2021-10-11-demi-lovato-says-calling-extraterrestrials-aliens-is-offensive/

Quote:
But, I think that we have to stop calling them aliens because aliens is a derogatory term for anything

As if I couldn't think she was more full of shit already.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: