RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Which team will Tina Charles be on next year?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which team will Charles sign with in 2022?
Washington again
26%
 26%  [ 10 ]
New York
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Chicago
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
Minnesota
18%
 18%  [ 7 ]
Dallas
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Phoenix
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Las Vegas
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
Seattle
21%
 21%  [ 8 ]
Another team (which one?)
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 38

Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/21/21 11:11 pm    ::: Which team will Tina Charles be on next year? Reply Reply with quote

...since she's making it sound like she isn't planning on re-signing with the Mystics. (Credit to toad455 for originally showing me this)

Quote:
Charles, an 11-year veteran, came to Washington in search of a championship. Instead, she didn’t play one season and was forced to carry an unexpected load in the second. Charles led the league in scoring with a career-high 23.4 points per game out of necessity, but that wasn’t the plan. She wanted to be on a well-rounded roster, and that didn’t happen. During her final news conference, Charles referred to “players that return here next year” while talking about what “they” can do to improve.

“I haven’t thought that far; I just know I need to win a championship before I retire,” Charles told The Washington Post about her future. “Obviously, some decisions are going to have to be made, and I have to look into everything. I’m thankful for my year here and just to see how they do things, and [that] will definitely help moving forward.

“You definitely sit back and see what happens. You just never know. This is a great organization and how they treat their people. We’ll see what happens.”

And no, Charles cannot be cored.

If she wants to go to a contender, she probably won't consider teams who are currently in the lottery. She also probably won't consider Connecticut since she left there on... not the greatest of terms, to put it mildly. (They seem to be a very stable team without her these days anyway.) And I don't think she'd re-sign with New York, but as we've noted, they're more or less one center away from at least making things interesting... screw it, I'll put 'em on the poll anyway. Twisted Evil

Not every team can sign her as things stand now, but I'm sure if she let 'em know she was really interesting, they'd find a way to make the space for her.

The poll won't close until the end of January, so take your time before choosing a team... Things may change between now & the beginning of free agency – especially with the playoffs yet to be played.

Last edited by Stormeo on 09/22/21 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 09/21/21 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The better questions are who can afford her or who is she willing to give a steep discount to?

Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/21/21 11:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
The better questions are who can afford her or who is she willing to give a steep discount to?

Storm would be able to afford her at max – we'd just have to go with 11, assuming the essential players re-sign. Nbd.

Aces would be able to afford her if Cambage doesn't come back next year (who knows with her). Perhaps both Charles could join in & McCoughtry could re-sign on cheaper-than-average deals. Wilson is almost certainly getting reg max – keep that in mind.

Lynx would be able to afford her, but only if her & Fowles signed cheaper-than-average deals. It would most likely simultaneously block Clarendon from returning (unless Clarendon agreed to work at/close to vet min).

Sky would be able to afford her – though it really remains to be seen who re-signs, who chooses to leave, and who is left out after the bigger players make their choices. You need to know what Vanderquigs, Copper, and DeShields do first. Or hell, maybe ya don't!

It would be really hard for the Mercury to sign her without moving some key pieces around (and Charles would have to agree to even more of a cheap contract than she would on the other aforementioned teams). It would probably require a Griner or a SDS trade, though we'll wait to comment on the possibility of that until after the playoffs are over.

Either the Liberty or Wings would be able to sign her for max and still get to 12. Would either team be good enough to have her attention though? Hard to say. An impending playoff run would sure help though.

FWIW, she agreed to a $175k one-year deal this year. IIRC, she made that much in 2020 when she was on Washington's roster then, too. She might even agree to sign for less than that amount depending on the situation of the team she ends up signing with. Money is clearly not her #1 priority at this point – title-winning is.

jmvcity

PostPosted: 09/22/21 12:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Imagine if she never ends up winning a championship.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/22/21 12:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PX tried to trade for her last year

If she wanted to ring chase she could take the 110K PX gives to Vaughn maybe with another 10-15K if they swap out Walker for a minimum.

If Minny maxes out Fowles they could probably offer Charles 125K-ish, or if Fowles goes elsewhere Charles could make a little more there.

Atl is probably her best bet for bigger money if they are win now
If she is still friends with Hayes from her UConn days and Atl decides to go with Carter, (maybe core and trade C. Will for Deshilds, move on from E. Will) luck into the #1or #2 pick
Carter, Hayes, Deshilds, Charles, Ch. Parker, McDonald and Howard, Austin or N. Smith off the bench is an interesting combo of young and old

Washington is sort of in the middle if EDD and Clark return there is still some championship potential there even with a thin bench, the Mystics could probably scrape together regular max if Meesseman doesn't return and they try to sign and trade MHA for multiple cheaper options.
Cloud, Atkins, Clark, EDD and Charles is a top tier line up if they are all healthy.

I realize it is not going to happen but NY could be an interesting landing spot if she would consider say 150K-maybe 200k
Ionescu, Whitcomb, Laney, Howard, Charles
Jones, Richards, Onyenwere, Willoughby, pick #5
Allen if you go with 11
Shook and Durr if you want to go 12
could have the math wrong

Replacing Cambage if she doesn't want to return seems viable Laimbeer like to recycle. Charles would probably be ok playing in the high post or out at the 3 point line and letting Wilson do her thing down low.

Chicago could do a whole makeover
Bird retires, Sloot and Quigley go to Seattle, trade Deshields to Atl C. Will
bring in Loyd and Charles to join Copper and Parker and go with 11
C. Will, Loyd, Copper, Charles, Parker
Evans, Hebard, Stevens, pick #6 two rookie scale contracts

OK I am getting carried away but there are options

I won't even suggest Dallas can hear the Dallas fans booing the idea all the way to the east coast
OTOH Mabrey, Ogunbowale, Sabally, Charles, Harrison
Jefferson, Gray, pick 7 Burrell, Thorton, lottery pick Austin, (2 of Collier, Kuier, Alarie)

Michelle89

PostPosted: 09/22/21 3:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sounds like she would sign for less with any real contender next year. But she will probably wait and see if Meesseman returns next season and if EDD is healthy and then sign for less with the Mystics.

Because with the return of Meesseman and a healthy Clark this team will be one of the favorites to win the title next season if Charles re-signs with them. With or without EDD!

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
DFWub2018

PostPosted: 09/22/21 8:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
PX tried to trade for her last year

If she wanted to ring chase she could take the 110K PX gives to Vaughn maybe with another 10-15K if they swap out Walker for a minimum.

If Minny maxes out Fowles they could probably offer Charles 125K-ish, or if Fowles goes elsewhere Charles could make a little more there.

Atl is probably her best bet for bigger money if they are win now
If she is still friends with Hayes from her UConn days and Atl decides to go with Carter, (maybe core and trade C. Will for Deshilds, move on from E. Will) luck into the #1or #2 pick
Carter, Hayes, Deshilds, Charles, Ch. Parker, McDonald and Howard, Austin or N. Smith off the bench is an interesting combo of young and old

Washington is sort of in the middle if EDD and Clark return there is still some championship potential there even with a thin bench, the Mystics could probably scrape together regular max if Meesseman doesn't return and they try to sign and trade MHA for multiple cheaper options.
Cloud, Atkins, Clark, EDD and Charles is a top tier line up if they are all healthy.

I realize it is not going to happen but NY could be an interesting landing spot if she would consider say 150K-maybe 200k
Ionescu, Whitcomb, Laney, Howard, Charles
Jones, Richards, Onyenwere, Willoughby, pick #5
Allen if you go with 11
Shook and Durr if you want to go 12
could have the math wrong

Replacing Cambage if she doesn't want to return seems viable Laimbeer like to recycle. Charles would probably be ok playing in the high post or out at the 3 point line and letting Wilson do her thing down low.

Chicago could do a whole makeover
Bird retires, Sloot and Quigley go to Seattle, trade Deshields to Atl C. Will
bring in Loyd and Charles to join Copper and Parker and go with 11
C. Will, Loyd, Copper, Charles, Parker
Evans, Hebard, Stevens, pick #6 two rookie scale contracts

OK I am getting carried away but there are options

I won't even suggest Dallas can hear the Dallas fans booing the idea all the way to the east coast
OTOH Mabrey, Ogunbowale, Sabally, Charles, Harrison
Jefferson, Gray, pick 7 Burrell, Thorton, lottery pick Austin, (2 of Collier, Kuier, Alarie)

Works for me....😎😎😎

PicknLOL

PostPosted: 09/22/21 9:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmvcity wrote:
Imagine if she never ends up winning a championship.

The worst case in this situation is the team(s) you left winning one.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/22/21 9:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I voted "Another Team" because I am an impossible homer

PostPosted: 09/22/21 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's Minny because words matter Laughing

adamj95

PostPosted: 09/22/21 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Minnesota can make it work, I’d like to have her on the team. She spoke very highly of the Lynx in her post game press conference if that means anything.

PostPosted: 09/22/21 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Staley brought Charles and Fowles in off the bench together for Team USA in every Olympic game. Their chemistry.. left a lot to be desired. Not saying it couldn't be developed though.

PostPosted: 09/22/21 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Staley brought Charles and Fowles in off the bench together for Team USA in every Olympic game. Their chemistry.. left a lot to be desired. Not saying it couldn't be developed though.

While true, we are blessed to not have Stanley as our coach Laughing

RI_Sun_Fan

PostPosted: 09/22/21 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great poll question. I know my team isn't in the fight.

We can't afford her and I don't think she wants to play here. She went to NY because she wanted to be close to family. She was commuting from CT to NYC often. I think she went to Washington because of coach Thibault.

I guess I'll go with Seattle, many / most UCONN players wind up there anyway.

Last edited by RI_Sun_Fan on 09/22/21 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 09/22/21 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
It's Minny because words matter Laughing

I remember when Reeve said something to the effect of “there’s no guarantee Tina Charles will be a great player….” This was in response to the Lynx trading their #1 pick in a package that included Lindsay Whalen. That’s how Charles ended up in Connecticut.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
RI_Sun_Fan

PostPosted: 09/22/21 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The pick used to select Tina Charles was originally New York's. The Liberty traded the Pick to Los Angeles for Sidney Spencer. So LA could have had her as well, but LA traded it to Minnesota for Noelle Quinn.

See above for the final trade of the 2010 #1 pic.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/22/21 11:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tbqh I wouldn't blame New York management at all for essentially showing up at Charles' door at the midnight hour & saying, "I'm sorry, I screwed up, I was a fool for letting you go (even if they don't mean any of that), now I'm on my knees b e g g i n g for you to take me back!!!" 🥺 At least they would've realized they needed an actual center at that point. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Michelle89

PostPosted: 09/23/21 3:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

While true, we are blessed to not have Stanley as our coach Laughing

Reeve can do many things but not change their game at this age. Both players need to play in the paint and not Charles shooting jumpshots at the elbow or 3pointers all game because Fowles is in the paint..

So ideally you want another post who is a solid shooter playing next to Charles or Fowles.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
bballjunkie

PostPosted: 09/23/21 9:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="undersized_post"]Staley brought Charles and Fowles in off the bench together for Team USA in every Olympic game. Their chemistry.. left a lot to be desired. Not saying it couldn't be developed though.[/quote]

At the time Staley was probably right to do so. Now they are both older, you can start them, Charles has an outside shot, who do you have that's better? Then rotate them so you are not stuck without size. Plus I am sure the bench and Charles wanting to win a ring would increase the team ball aspect.

ucbart

PostPosted: 09/23/21 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

At the time Staley was probably right to do so. Now they are both older, you can start them, Charles has an outside shot, who do you have that's better? Then rotate them so you are not stuck without size. Plus I am sure the bench and Charles wanting to win a ring would increase the team ball aspect.

Cambage and Wilson worked much better this year than I thought they would....and Charles is much better on the perimeter than A'ja.

Queenie

PostPosted: 09/23/21 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RI_Sun_Fan wrote:
The pick used to select Tina Charles was originally New York's. The Liberty traded the Pick to Los Angeles for Sidney Spencer. So LA could have had her as well, but LA traded it to Minnesota for Noelle Quinn.

See above for the final trade of the 2010 #1 pic.

*internal screaming intensifies*

*external screaming intensifies*

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: