RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The New Hot Seat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 09/17/21 3:27 pm    ::: The New Hot Seat Reply Reply with quote

It was mentioned in the Versyp thread that the Hot Seat got wiped clean this summer (thanks for the idea NoDak!). But there are still 4 coaches in the Power 5 conferences that meet a criteria of 5+ seasons, a sub-.400 winning percentage in-conference, and never having finished above .500 in-conference:

Jen Hoover at Wake Forest - 45-105, .300 in the ACC in 10 seasons. Coming off her best season yet at 8-10.

Kristy Curry at Alabama - 46-82, .359 in the SEC in 8 seasons. Coming off back to back 8-8 seasons, her highest.

Brandon Schneider at Kansas - 13-91, .125 in the Big 12 in 6 seasons. Never finished above 4-14.

Lynne Roberts at Utah - 40-69, .367 in the Pac-12 in 6 seasons. Never finished above .500 and coming off her worst finish yet at 4-17.

Another does not meet the 5 season threshold, but is the only coach in the P5 to be under .100 in-conference:

Nancy Fahey at Illinois - 6-62, .088 in the Big Ten in 4 seasons. Never finished above 2-16.

How serious any of those schools are about winning is the big question here. Those of you who follow the Mid and Minor conferences more closely, who else meets that criteria?

PostPosted: 09/17/21 6:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Try this....

Chris Gobrecht at the Air Force Academy - 23-85, .213 in the Mtn West in 6 seasons. Best season 7-11 in conf, overall record 37-140, .209. Five year contract ext in 2018 (when record was .122).

okstateguy

PostPosted: 09/17/21 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Outside of Schneider, in the Big 12 I would say:

-Reagan Pebley at TCU
-Jeff Mittie at Kansas State

Both have had one or two decent seasons at their respective schools, but have struggled to make the NCAA Tournament and stay above .500 in the Big 12 play. No doubt Schneider deserves the axe he will most likely receive next offseason, but I think at least one of the aforementioned candidates will be joining him.

PostPosted: 09/17/21 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Outside of Schneider, in the Big 12 I would say:

-Reagan Pebley at TCU
-Jeff Mittie at Kansas State

Both have had one or two decent seasons at their respective schools, but have struggled to make the NCAA Tournament and stay above .500 in the Big 12 play. No doubt Schneider deserves the axe he will most likely receive next offseason, but I think at least one of the aforementioned candidates will be joining him.

PostPosted: 09/18/21 9:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Try this....

Chris Gobrecht at the Air Force Academy - 23-85, .213 in the Mtn West in 6 seasons. Best season 7-11 in conf, overall record 37-140, .209. Five year contract ext in 2018 (when record was .122).

For what it's worth, those 7 wins are the most conference wins in school history.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 09/18/21 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BD22 wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
Try this....

For what it's worth, those 7 wins are the most conference wins in school history.

Yeah, in her other 5 seasons, she won 1,2,5,4,and 4 conference games.

Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 09/18/21 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Air Force Academy is at a disadvantage, in that it’s players have to be accepted into the Air Force Academy. And unlike some schools, they do not make it easier for athletes to get accepted. You still have to get a nomination, you still have to meet a lot of very strict criteria.

Queenie

PostPosted: 09/18/21 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And while it's not as relevant to the women, I believe Air Force also has a height cap. And of course the Air Force Academy does also have a reputation for an appallingly sexist culture. So I'm not surprised and I wouldn't expect a move.

PostPosted: 09/19/21 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:
Air Force Academy is at a disadvantage, in that it’s players have to be accepted into the Air Force Academy. And unlike some schools, they do not make it easier for athletes to get accepted. You still have to get a nomination, you still have to meet a lot of very strict criteria.

The bigger disadvantage, I would think, is that after college you have be in the Air Force.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 09/19/21 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Hoopsmom wrote:

The bigger disadvantage, I would think, is that after college you have be in the Air Force.

True. I mean, I couldn't be more proud of my uncle, cousin and niece that all chose that path and have done their part to protect our country. But that's just me.

Queenie

PostPosted: 09/19/21 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Hoopsmom wrote:

Army and Navy also have a service requirement. I dimly remember there being issues when one of Army's star players got a training camp invite and it conflicted with further Army training.

PostPosted: 09/19/21 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Hoopsmom wrote:

Army and Navy also have a service requirement. I dimly remember there being issues when one of Army's star players got a training camp invite and it conflicted with further Army training.

Navy made arrangements for Napoleon Kaufman to play pro football immediately after he graduated

PostPosted: 09/19/21 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

David Robinson was the #1 pick in the 1987 NBA draft out of the Naval Academy and had to fulfill his military duties before heading to San Antonio a couple years later.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 09/20/21 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UK1996 wrote:
David Robinson was the #1 pick in the 1987 NBA draft out of the Naval Academy and had to fulfill his military duties before heading to San Antonio a couple years later.

PostPosted: 09/20/21 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Queenie wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Hoopsmom wrote:

Navy made arrangements for Napoleon Kaufman to play pro football immediately after he graduated

I was thinking women's hoops, as I usually am. (Found the reference! I thought it was Cara Enright, but it was Kelsey Minato: http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?p=1381399#1381399)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: