RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Sirhan Sirhan to be released?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 08/27/21 5:09 pm    ::: Sirhan Sirhan to be released? Reply Reply with quote

https://apnews.com/article/crime-shootings-california-los-angeles-san-diego-acfc333ba40e6853c6e2874281685d0b

Quote:
prosecutors declined to argue he should be kept behind bars

PostPosted: 08/27/21 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry, an assassination of a US Senator merits a life sentence. He already got his big break when his death sentence was commuted. How can he be remorseful when he says he doesn't even remember the murder? And the Kennedy family aren't in agreement on this.

Howee

PostPosted: 08/27/21 10:40 pm    ::: Re: Sirhan Sirhan to be released? Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
https://apnews.com/article/crime-shootings-california-los-angeles-san-diego-acfc333ba40e6853c6e2874281685d0b

Quote:

Well, since some Kennedys felt he'd atoned, why should prosecutors object?

PostPosted: 08/28/21 3:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bobby Kennedy was as close to a sure thing to be the next president of the United States when he was assassinated as anyone could have been. Some writer for the LA Times said that that made Sirhan Sirhan's crime akin to almost overthrowing the government.

I don't know that that's accurate but... it's something that's kind of a blanket characterization that would apply to any such assassination under those same situations.

I actually think it's much much worse than that. The 60s were a moment this country's fate was hanging in the balance. The social upheaval was much more pronounced then than anything that's happening today. The Kennedys represented youth and a change from the past. I'm tired and I'm not characterizing any of this very well, but it was a moment wherein it seemed America was positioned to move dramatically forward in living up to its promise. The president was amazingly and dazzlingly intelligent and inspiring. He represented very well younger fresher thinking and approaches. His intelligence to this day is still amazing. And then he was killed. And then civil rights leaders were killed, culminating with MLK.

So then there was Bobby, who had come through all of that and seemed himself to have been transformed into something like a saint. I'm just describing how people in this country felt about the Kennedys at that point and how Bobby Kennedy had been transformed into this purer even more deeply committed and serious version of a Kennedy. And then he was killed.

And after that, all that hope and promise and excitement and youth and liberal ideas to change the country and the world died as well. And this fucking country has NEVER even remotely come close to aspiring to be the country so many believed was within our reach of being if Bobby Kennedy had been elected president.

And I've got to say, I believe all of this. It is the CORE of my political belief system. I believe that if Bobby had been elected to two terms as president we would not be the country we are now or the country we've been since the corporate takeover of our politics and our culture in the 1970s, the greed is good Reagan years in the 80s, and the selling out of the working classes and poor that began in the Clinton years.

So now we're going to release this motherfucker? Who did all of this damage that I would guarantee has resulted in the violent deaths of millions of Americans due to our never addressing the core problems that plagued this nation for most of the 20th century and to this day?

And we wonder why there is such chaos on our streets. It's a fucking madhouse now. I believe the dream itself will never die but the opportunity for making that dream into reality died with Bobby Kennedy's assassination. This is the worst murder IMO in the history of this country with the possible exception of his brother's murder. If Sirhan should live to be a free man there's just no order in the universe at all. None. Fuck it all. Humans can do nothing good.

PostPosted: 08/28/21 4:35 am    ::: Re: Sirhan Sirhan to be released? Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Quote:

Despite him having been a police chief in three cities, if you are a criminal, Los Angeles DA George Gascon may be the best you could hope for in the entire country. There is a recall effort trying to gather enough signatures (10% of voters required) in order to have a vote. The effort is being led by a former DA and two relatives of murder victims who don't want Gascon's policies to give early release to the murderers. The LA County Sheriff also backs it.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/28/21 9:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thank you, jammer. That's the rant I was looking for when I posted this news.

PostPosted: 08/28/21 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
I actually think it's much much worse than that. The 60s were a moment this country's fate was hanging in the balance. The social upheaval was much more pronounced then than anything that's happening today. .... <snip> ....
And we wonder why there is such chaos on our streets. It's a fucking madhouse now.

Hmmm. Those 2 sentences seem a bit contradictory, no? Razz

I know I cannot agree with your overall assessment, for several reasons. First of all, you ascribe Near-Deity status to JFK. Intelligent? Certainly. Not moreso than Clinton or Obama, imo. And JFK was a moral scumbag, at a time when the public was far more naive on such things, and willing to look away from this sort of thing.

Moreover, he didn't even complete a whole term. It is purely speculation to fantasize about what he MIGHT have accomplished. Yes, he MAY have done fantastic things -- orr -- he may NOT have, with the government no more under his control than any other modern president. And with a government that was willing to blow him away (yes, I think *they* did it), why should anyone believe otherwise?

RFK? Again, more speculative thinking. What you describe as his potential is certainly believable; I think he had MORE potential than his brother. However, why might one believe that he'd be 'allowed' to accomplish any more of his Liberal Agenda than anyone else in this American Corporatocracy, where the wealthy lobbyists control everything? And Sirhan....was he just a pawn, and do pawns deserve a reprieve?

PostPosted: 08/28/21 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Thank you, jammer. That's the rant I was looking for when I posted this news.

Yes, you also knew where my buttons were. Cool

PostPosted: 08/28/21 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
I actually think it's much much worse than that. The 60s were a moment this country's fate was hanging in the balance. The social upheaval was much more pronounced then than anything that's happening today. .... <snip> ....
And we wonder why there is such chaos on our streets. It's a fucking madhouse now.

I know I cannot agree with your overall assessment, for several reasons. First of all, you ascribe Near-Deity status to JFK. Intelligent? Certainly. Not moreso than Clinton or Obama, imo. And JFK was a moral scumbag, at a time when the public was far more naive on such things, and willing to look away from this sort of thing.

Moreover, he didn't even complete a whole term. It is purely speculation to fantasize about what he MIGHT have accomplished. Yes, he MAY have done fantastic things -- orr -- he may NOT have, with the government no more under his control than any other modern president. And with a government that was willing to blow him away (yes, I think *they* did it), why should anyone believe otherwise?

RFK? Again, more speculative thinking. What you describe as his potential is certainly believable; I think he had MORE potential than his brother. However, why might one believe that he'd be 'allowed' to accomplish any more of his Liberal Agenda than anyone else in this American Corporatocracy, where the wealthy lobbyists control everything? And Sirhan....was he just a pawn, and do pawns deserve a reprieve?

You obviously don’t know where my buttons are. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 08/29/21 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Howee wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

You obviously don’t know where my buttons are. Rolling Eyes

....and obviously, you're mistaking me for someone who CARES where your buttons are. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: