RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Oakland took a major step towards getting WNBA team
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/03/21 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
OAKLAND IS READY FOR WNBA EXPANSION: A CONVERSATION WITH VICE MAYOR REBECCA KAPLAN

https://winsidr.com/2021/08/oakland-is-ready-for-wnba-expansion-a-conversation-with-vice-mayor-rebecca-kaplan/

Quote:
I’ve been working on it with the WNBA, with the staff at the JPA, and then with the ownership group, AASEG. They have put together an incredible team to launch this effort.

More about AASEG here:

https://www.aasegoakland.com/

Really Oakland Crusader's ?

Quote:
the Las Vegas Aces and Connecticut Sun will tip off in the inaugural Commissioner’s Cup Championship, the final battle for a $500K purse.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 08/04/21 12:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder how much of current team finances prospective owners get to see and how honest the league is about that. Still remember that Paula Madison said they lost $12 million in Sparks ownership in about 7 years and the Liberty said they lost over $100 million in 21 years of ownership, and never had a year that wasn't a loss. Couldn't turn a profit in the two biggest cities in America.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/27/21 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Virtual Zoom Press Conference tomorrow at 10am PT

https://t.co/PL1pyGufCi?amp=1

PostPosted: 10/27/21 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can I get a tl;Dr?

Are they actually getting an expansion or is this just more hype?

awhom111

PostPosted: 10/27/21 11:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
Can I get a tl;Dr?

If this is the move that forces the Warriors to decide that they want a team, then they are not getting an expansion.

As long as that is not the case and this group seems to have what it takes to operate a franchise, they are probably further along than any other city. Nobody has any idea how the WNBA would actually consider expansion because they have historically pretended that they were happy with how things were.
PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/28/21 9:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
Can I get a tl;Dr?

If this is the move that forces the Warriors to decide that they want a team, then they are not getting an expansion.

As long as that is not the case and this group seems to have what it takes to operate a franchise, they are probably further along than any other city. Nobody has any idea how the WNBA would actually consider expansion because they have historically pretended that they were happy with how things were.

If the Warriors wanted a team, I have to think they would have one.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 10/29/21 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anyone attend the Zoom meeting?

hyperetic

PostPosted: 10/29/21 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thoughts?

Cheryl Reeves wrote:
“We’ve been asking for (expansion) as a women’s league. We’ve been at 12 for a very, very long time as far as teams,” Reeve said. “We have this strange notion that we treat women’s sports differently than men’s sports. In men’s sports, the narrative isn’t that you have to have 30 financially healthy teams or quality teams before you expand. In women’s sports, the narrative is we have to have 12 healthy teams before we’ll do anything. That makes no sense. … The more teams in the league, the healthier the league becomes overall. The business gets better with expansion with revenue opportunities.

https://zonecoverage.com/2021/lynx/its-officially-time-for-wnba-expansion/
Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/29/21 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What the League at this point should be doing is, over the course of this offseason, tease expansion even without anything substantial to announce. I could be wrong, but legally speaking I don't think there's anything stopping it from doing something like putting out a short list of cities that it would like to be in "someday." Or even a monthly poll tweeted out like a "which city do you want to see us expand in next?". It doesn't have to mean anything. Just casual stuff that would cost damn near $0.00 to wink & nod to the already-fully-here expansion talks that would get people – League fans, residents of those cities, even potential owners of teams who never thought seriously about owning a team before until such a list's official release – to continue talking about it. The last thing the League needs is its momentum squashed over the course of its always-too-long offseason, the kind of momentum that I'm not sure we've seen – at least in a while. Expansion talk is positive press – not acknowledging it whatsoever is a lost marketing opportunity if nothing else (the W not marketing itself right? pretendstobeshocked.gif)

And as it relates to expansion, I'd just like to say – once again, despite no one asking (lololol) – that it would then make even less sense to hold three rounds of the Draft. I know Tamika Catchings is a bad GM, but you're telling me Lauren Cox wasn't even worth someone's 3rd-rounder next year? Imagine the lack of talent picked in the 40s of a 14-team Draft, let alone what we ended up with in the Top Four of this past Draft... And save your usual counterarguments, I've heard 'em all before. Razz

StevenHW

PostPosted: 10/29/21 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://beyondthew.com/alana-beard-introduced-as-leader-of-wnba-oakland-ownership-group/

PostPosted: 10/29/21 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://beyondthew.com/alana-beard-introduced-as-leader-of-wnba-oakland-ownership-group/

PostPosted: 10/29/21 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oakland's WNBA bid led by former WNBA star to front bloc of powerful women

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/warriors/article/Oakland-s-WNBA-bid-led-by-former-WNBA-star-to-16573008.php

Quote:
Bobbitt said the league has indicated that any expansion team(s) would require an 18-month run-up, from acceptance into the league to joining the action.

That means in order to play in 2023, a new team would need to be accepted next month

PostPosted: 10/29/21 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
Thoughts?

Cheryl Reeve wrote:
“We’ve been asking for (expansion) as a women’s league. We’ve been at 12 for a very, very long time as far as teams,” Reeve said. “We have this strange notion that we treat women’s sports differently than men’s sports. In men’s sports, the narrative isn’t that you have to have 30 financially healthy teams or quality teams before you expand. In women’s sports, the narrative is we have to have 12 healthy teams before we’ll do anything. That makes no sense. … The more teams in the league, the healthier the league becomes overall. The business gets better with expansion with revenue opportunities.

With all due respect to Cheryl, eh, kinda. If you're constantly adding and contracting teams, the league ends up looking like a bit of a farce. And if they had expanded to, say, Dallas and Las Vegas, would that just mean there wouldn't have been any viable owners to take on the franchises that people wanted to get rid of?

And I hope she's right that adding more teams in more cities creates more revenue opportunities, but I'm not entirely sure that's true. Hopefully they make enough money to help support the new team itself, but does having teams in Knoxville and Philadelphia, or whatever, really create new opportunities for the league as a whole? Maybe it does, because two new cities would have more reason to at least pay some attention to the league, but maybe you basically end up splitting the same pie 14 ways instead of 12.

So yes, I think expansion is coming and that it's about time, but I don't think they should just be handing out franchises to anyone who wants one as she seems to be suggesting. I think having some semblance of stability has generally been good for the league.

PostPosted: 10/29/21 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
And as it relates to expansion, I'd just like to say – once again, despite no one asking (lololol) – that it would then make even less sense to hold three rounds of the Draft. I know Tamika Catchings is a bad GM, but you're telling me Lauren Cox wasn't even worth someone's 3rd-rounder next year? Imagine the lack of talent picked in the 40s of a 14-team Draft, let alone what we ended up with in the Top Four of this past Draft... And save your usual counterarguments, I've heard 'em all before. Razz

My usual counterargument is "That's the only way anyone from any of my mid-majors is gonna get picked and I love seeing schools get their name on the screen for the first time."

(If you think three-round drafts with 12-14 teams are dubious, please allow me to introduce the 2000-2002 drafts... well, the 2000 and 2002 drafts, since as a NY Liberty fan I still occasionally drift into fits of rage about the 2001 draft and suddenly screaming like a startled goat in someone's face often offends.)

(now with spelling variations)
pilight

PostPosted: 10/29/21 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The 2001 draft had the last attendee waiting while 33 picks went by between her and the penultimate on-hand draftee, with the camera set up so that when they showed the anchor desk you could see her and her entourage amongst a sea of empty tables. It was morbidly fascinating.

PostPosted: 10/30/21 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
My usual counterargument is "That's the only way anyone from any of my mid-majors is gonna get picked and I love seeing schools get their name on the screen for the first time."

(If you think three-round drafts with 12-14 teams are dubious, please allow me to introduce the 2000-2002 drafts... well, the 2000 and 2002 drafts, since as a NY Liberty fan I still occasionally drift into fits of rage about the 2001 draft and suddenly screaming like a startled goat in someone's face often offends.)

My counter-counterargument to that would be, are the names of the 2nd-rounders and 3rd-rounders even consistently shown on the screen? Razz Heck, each of their names are barely even announced at any one (1) point in the entire telecast. As we've covered, it really doesn't feel like anyone involved in the Draft's production (including the higher-ups like Engelbert) actually gives a shit about the lower-round draftees. Confused

It's interesting talking about the earlier years' Drafts, because I don't remember how many years/which years that teams could have up to 13 players on their roster. Not to mention, of course, there were more teams than 12 for a little while. It made making a roster as a late-round pick that much easier... theoretically, anyway.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 10/31/21 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Tell your husband to give you lots of love when you feel that rage coming up.💕😘

PostPosted: 10/31/21 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:

He gives me chocolate, but also, what makes you think I'd be the only one raging about one of the most mishandled drafts in Liberty history?

(now with spelling variations)
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 10/31/21 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

He gives me chocolate, but also, what makes you think I'd be the only one raging about one of the most mishandled drafts in Liberty history?

I guess I need to pray for a WHOLE lot of people.🙏

PostPosted: 11/15/21 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/video/push-to-attract-wnba-team-to-oakland-gets-major-star-power/2708750/

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: