Board Junkies Forums

The Olympic Break
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 07/13/21 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
The WNBA in winter:

1) Would ESPN (or any network) rather show the NBA or the WNBA? Which gets better ratings?

2) Would ESPN (or any network) rather show college men's basketball or the WNBA? Which gets better ratings?

The answer to those two questions are obvious, and so not only is it unlikely ESPN would pay more for WNBA rights, it would likely pay less.

WCBB gets broadcast during this time frame despite drawing no better ratings than the W. So do quite a few lesser sports. More people watch TV in the winter. That's why the networks put their real shows on hiatus in the summer. There are many networks and many good time slots available. ESPN has quite a few nights in winter when all they're showing is 30 for 30 reruns and prerecorded poker. CBS Sports often wishes they had those things to show in January.

PostPosted: 07/13/21 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:
but we all love womens bball. #lovelite

If you have a vote for the Wooden award and you perennially start a topic asking people who the best players are so you don’t have to figure it out yourself by, you know, watching the games, then you don’t really love women’s bball.

Lots of if/thens, but I wanted to comment on this particular one. I've always enjoyed this particular thread and seeing other people's ideas. It seems like we complain about not being included in choosing these awards...and now you are complaining because he asks our opinions. To me that's a bit of a disconnect.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/13/21 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
I think it’s fine the way it is.

Yeah, there are drawbacks - but the women’s US Olympic team gets more press than the WNBA, and it always feels like that bleeds into the second half of the WNBA season.

There are certainly some drawbacks (players missing time), but I think the media exposure makes it not worth worrying about as much.

I agree. It's the least bad alternative.

As to these personal comments and sleazy implications levied against Clay Kallam, they are off topic, wholly uncalled for, and ignorant.

There is no one on this board, or hardly anywhere in America, who has devoted so many decades of his or her life, in so many different ways, to supporting and promoting girl's and women's basketball at all levels.

For those who don't know, Clay has been a women's basketball journalist and columnist in print and digital media for decades. He has been a girl's basketball coach at the high school and AAU levels for decades. He has written a book on coaching girl's basketball. For many years he administered the best internet site covering all levels of women's basketball, including an intelligent and informative discussion board, called Full Court Press -- often paying his writers out of his own pocket. Clay has been on the selection committees for many of the most prestigious POY awards and AA teams at the high school and college levels. He is the dean, or at least the vice dean, of national ranking systems for girl's high school basketball teams. As I recall, Clay was a regular attendee of WNBA games in person when Sacramento had a team.

On this board Clay posts his opinions, some controversial, in an articulate and gentlemanly manner, never ad hominem. Moreover, he posts transparently under his real name, not anonymously, much less under a contrived internet persona.

To question Clay Kallam's commitment to female basketball -- or his "intent" or "motivation" -- when discussing procedural, structural or economic alternatives for the WNBA is a non sequitur at best or an improper personal insult at worst.
IM in OC

PostPosted: 07/13/21 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

Yeah, there are drawbacks - but the women’s US Olympic team gets more press than the WNBA, and it always feels like that bleeds into the second half of the WNBA season.

There are certainly some drawbacks (players missing time), but I think the media exposure makes it not worth worrying about as much.

As to these personal comments and sleazy implications levied against Clay Kallam, they are off topic, wholly uncalled for, and ignorant.

There is no one on this board, or hardly anywhere in America, who has devoted so many decades of his or her life, in so many different ways, to supporting and promoting girl's and women's basketball at all levels.

For those who don't know, Clay has been a women's basketball journalist and columnist in print and digital media for decades. He has been a girl's basketball coach at the high school and AAU levels for decades. He has written a book on coaching girl's basketball. For many years he administered the best internet site covering all levels of women's basketball, including an intelligent and informative discussion board, called Full Court Press -- often paying his writers out of his own pocket. Clay has been on the selection committees for many of the most prestigious POY awards and AA teams at the high school and college levels. He is the dean, or at least the vice dean, of national ranking systems for girl's high school basketball teams. As I recall, Clay was a regular attendee of WNBA games in person when Sacramento had a team.

On this board Clay posts his opinions, some controversial, in an articulate and gentlemanly manner, never ad hominem. Moreover, he posts transparently under his real name, not anonymously, much less under a contrived internet persona.

To question Clay Kallam's commitment to female basketball -- or his "intent" or "motivation" -- when discussing procedural, structural or economic alternatives for the WNBA is a non sequitur at best or an improper personal insult at worst.

ditto

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/13/21 8:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ClayK wrote:
The WNBA in winter:

1) Would ESPN (or any network) rather show the NBA or the WNBA? Which gets better ratings?

2) Would ESPN (or any network) rather show college men's basketball or the WNBA? Which gets better ratings?

The answer to those two questions are obvious, and so not only is it unlikely ESPN would pay more for WNBA rights, it would likely pay less.

WCBB gets broadcast during this time frame despite drawing no better ratings than the W. So do quite a few lesser sports. More people watch TV in the winter. That's why the networks put their real shows on hiatus in the summer. There are many networks and many good time slots available. ESPN has quite a few nights in winter when all they're showing is 30 for 30 reruns and prerecorded poker. CBS Sports often wishes they had those things to show in January.

even if WNBA were in the Winter and they had open broadcasting spots, there's no guarantee they would broadcast WNBA games. Right now, NBA tv often is showing reruns of NBA games 20 years old when they could be showing a WNBA game. it's a bit of a chicken and egg situation.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 07/13/21 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
even if WNBA were in the Winter and they had open broadcasting spots, there's no guarantee they would broadcast WNBA games. Right now, NBA tv often is showing reruns of NBA games 20 years old when they could be showing a WNBA game. it's a bit of a chicken and egg situation.

That has more to do with the head of Turner Sports hating women's sports, though.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
mercfan3

PostPosted: 07/14/21 8:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The problem with the WNBA in the winter is the player salaries. The best players aren’t going to give up overseas money to play on the WNBA.

I also think the “crowdedness” of basketball in the winter makes the summer ideal. If the WNBA was ever marketed right, it could be a huge draw in the summer.

PostPosted: 07/14/21 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

:: shrugs ::

I've had the night to sleep on this, and consider this assessment of my criticism... And I've decided that I can live with it. Or, a little more colloquially, I'll bee dat.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
pilight

PostPosted: 07/19/21 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
I feel like I used to know this, but what does the NHL do in Olympic years?

They used to break, but they stopped for the last Olympics

NHL to schedule a break for the 2022 Winter Olympics; player participation not yet guaranteed

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/31843898/nhl-schedule-break-2022-winter-olympics-player-participation-not-yet-guaranteed

PostPosted: 08/01/21 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There’s too many obstacles for the WNBA in the winter. Arena availability for the teams with NBA and/or NHL conflicts. Lots of sports on TV. Overseas play that top players probably won’t want to miss out on economically. The competition of WCBB.

PostPosted: 08/02/21 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The NWSL has been playing through. That might give you some idea of how much attention the W would get during the games if they tried the same.

PostPosted: 08/02/21 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The NWSL has been playing through. That might give you some idea of how much attention the W would get during the games if they tried the same.

Doesn't the NWSL have a similar overseas commitment problem as they play during the same season as Europe? I feel like anytime I've tuned into an NWSL game, none of the stars are actually playing.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 08/02/21 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

NWSL gets no attention when their art games. Without looking it up, I don't even know for sure what it is. Softball, right?

That seems like a pretty bad comparison point.

lynxmania

PostPosted: 08/02/21 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:

NWSL gets no attention when their art games. Without looking it up, I don't even know for sure what it is. Softball, right?

Soccer

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/02/21 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:

Soccer

Not Softball Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 08/02/21 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:

Soccer

I rest my case.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 08/02/21 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
lynxmania wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:

Soccer

I rest my case.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/13/womens-soccer-viewership-records-paving-expansion.html

Some of their games get competitive numbers as WNBA games. Those who live in glass ratings demographics shouldn't cast stones.

GEF34

PostPosted: 08/02/21 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
lynxmania wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:

Soccer

I rest my case.

Many people could say the same thing about the WNBA. And if say there was a WNBA game on last night, how maybe people would have tuned in to watch it or went to the arena to watch? Not exactly apples to apples, but I think it’s a reasonable comparison.

awhom111

PostPosted: 08/02/21 11:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
pilight wrote:

Doesn't the NWSL have a similar overseas commitment problem as they play during the same season as Europe? I feel like anytime I've tuned into an NWSL game, none of the stars are actually playing.

European salaries have only started to increase recently. Most of Europe plays Fall to Spring and the NWSL plays Spring to Fall as is the case with men's soccer in those places. The US national team level stars do play national team games during portions of the regular season and also do some load management for important games so they do miss their share of games.
Milks26

PostPosted: 08/03/21 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't forget:

WNBA trade deadline is August 21st @ 8:00 pm

pilight

PostPosted: 08/25/21 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The grand total of foreign players who didn't play before the Olympics but came over afterward is zero. That's down from one (Leilani Mitchell) who did so in 2016.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: