RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

NCAA sets timetable for dramatic overhaul

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 07/30/21 3:21 pm    ::: NCAA sets timetable for dramatic overhaul Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/31922593/ncaa-sets-table-dramatic-overhaul-how-governs-college-athletics

Quote:
"This is not about tweaking the model we have now," NCAA President Mark Emmert said. "This is about wholesale transformation so we can set a sustainable course for college sports for decades to come."

PostPosted: 07/30/21 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll believe it when I see it.

PostPosted: 07/31/21 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At what point does Mark Emmert lose his job?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 07/31/21 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
At what point does Mark Emmert lose his job?

Any time not in the past is not soon enough for me.

PostPosted: 08/01/21 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
I'll believe it when I see it.

I certainly understand the pessimism, but honestly, they really don't have a choice now with the Supreme Court ruling and the NIL rules. If they don't make a major change, they will go the way of the dodo bird. They know it just like everyone else. The world of college athletics is about to change in a big way and to stay relevant, they need to as well.

As far as Emmert, talk about having one of the ultimate "you can't please everyone" jobs. Nothing the person having that position will ever be good enough for everyone. This isn't any sort of commentary on him in particular, but in being the leader of the NCAA, which is comprised of so many different types of universities with so many different missions. Thankless doesn't even begin to describe it.

Michael

PostPosted: 08/02/21 7:00 am    ::: The NCAA has no choice Reply Reply with quote

They have been neutered, and have no chance to police the schools from cheating. It will quickly return to the pre-NCAA days where cheating was not only rampant, but done in plain sight. I expect to see SEC schools openly in bidding wars for top football players in the next couple of years and Kentucky basketball players will possibly be the highest paid employees in the state pretty soon....... I don't know who thinks this is good for "sports" but I am sick of this blatant greed and win at all costs mentality.

PostPosted: 08/02/21 4:40 pm    ::: Re: The NCAA has no choice Reply Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
They have been neutered, and have no chance to police the schools from cheating. It will quickly return to the pre-NCAA days where cheating was not only rampant, but done in plain sight. I expect to see SEC schools openly in bidding wars for top football players in the next couple of years and Kentucky basketball players will possibly be the highest paid employees in the state pretty soon....... I don't know who thinks this is good for "sports" but I am sick of this blatant greed and win at all costs mentality.

Quote:
Kentucky basketball players will possibly be the highest paid employees in the state pretty soon

Will? They likely have been since Rupp's day. It happened "sub rosa" and we could all pretend it was just "other schools" and the media could put on blinders.

Michael

PostPosted: 08/03/21 2:42 pm    ::: Re: The NCAA has no choice Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Michael wrote:

Quote:
Kentucky basketball players will possibly be the highest paid employees in the state pretty soon

Will? They likely have been since Rupp's day. It happened "sub rosa" and we could all pretend it was just "other schools" and the media could put on blinders.

I think so far its been nickles and dimes in comparison to what will be done now that paying players is legal and can be done openly.... I have no doubt UK players have been pocketing 50-60k for their year in Lexington, but I expect that to go up by a factor of 10 VERY soon.

PostPosted: 08/03/21 9:14 pm    ::: Re: The NCAA has no choice Reply Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
linkster wrote:
Michael wrote:

Quote:

I think so far its been nickles and dimes in comparison to what will be done now that paying players is legal and can be done openly.... I have no doubt UK players have been pocketing 50-60k for their year in Lexington, but I expect that to go up by a factor of 10 VERY soon.

There was an ESPN mcbb show a couple of years ago about recruiting and when one player came up Barkley went "Got to get him (for his SEC alma mater) What will it take? 100K? No problem." Of course he was half joking but he was also stating what those inside know to be true, that large payoffs are made to top recruits. And given the amount of money involved corruption likely permeates college football.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/04/21 5:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
After Tuesday’s release of a report ripping the NCAA for failing to uphold gender equity in its management of men’s and women’s basketball, Ackerman said she’s confident changes are coming because momentum is on the side of the women’s game after the embarrassing revelations of unequal treatment of athletes at the 2021 tournaments.

https://www.wane.com/sports/womens-game-leaders-ncaa-cant-let-report-sit-on-a-shelf/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 08/04/21 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://deadspin.com/study-shows-ncaa-has-been-holding-back-women-s-sports-1847420319

But we knew this already, didn't we?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: