RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The 12 best American W players who never played for Team US

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 07/29/21 8:41 am    ::: The 12 best American W players who never played for Team US Reply Reply with quote

at the Olympics

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/31899420/olympics-2021-12-best-american-wnba-players-never-played-team-usa-olympics

Quote:
Almost all of these players competed or tried out for USA Basketball teams, and some played in the other major hoops competitions such as the FIBA Women's World Cup (previously known as the World Championship). And one player on our list was an Olympian, just not for the United States.

PostPosted: 07/29/21 11:19 am    ::: Re: The 12 best American W players who never played for Team Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
at the Olympics

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/31899420/olympics-2021-12-best-american-wnba-players-never-played-team-usa-olympics

Quote:
Almost all of these players competed or tried out for USA Basketball teams, and some played in the other major hoops competitions such as the FIBA Women's World Cup (previously known as the World Championship). And one player on our list was an Olympian, just not for the United States.

I just don't think you can put players like Vandersloot, Hammon, and Nolan on this list. According to the Olympics, they aren't American players. They intentionally took themselves out of consideration. You can argue they would never have made the team anyway, but I think Vandersloot this year is a clear example of why it is different. Does anything think she wouldn't be on this team if she was eligible?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/29/21 11:41 am    ::: Re: The 12 best American W players who never played for Team Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:
at the Olympics

Quote:

I just don't think you can put players like Vandersloot, Hammon, and Nolan on this list. According to the Olympics, they aren't American players. They intentionally took themselves out of consideration. You can argue they would never have made the team anyway, but I think Vandersloot this year is a clear example of why it is different. Does anything think she wouldn't be on this team if she was eligible?

Honestly, Voepel and Ramona Shelburne have been going hard on the Nneka stuff, consistently supporting her and Nigeria's side (and barely even countenancing the arguments against them). This feels like stretching it out to get yet another item out of that topic where they can bring it up again. The rest is just details.

And yes, you get two very different lists depending on whether you count people who switched to other countries or not.

PostPosted: 07/29/21 3:44 pm    ::: Re: The 12 best American W players who never played for Team Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:
at the Olympics

Quote:

TBH, I see your point, but I do think that also depends on the player.

Hammon very clearly wasn't going to make a team, while Sloot likely would have been on the team this year.

I don't remember with Nolan though, I seem to recall her taking a different country route early on in her career.

PostPosted: 07/29/21 6:37 pm    ::: Re: The 12 best American W players who never played for Team Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:
at the Olympics

Quote:

Honestly, Voepel and Ramona Shelburne have been going hard on the Nneka stuff, consistently supporting her and Nigeria's side (and barely even countenancing the arguments against them). This feels like stretching it out to get yet another item out of that topic where they can bring it up again. The rest is just details.

And yes, you get two very different lists depending on whether you count people who switched to other countries or not.

This was my first thought.

The only reason they didn't put Chiney on the list was because they knew it would be too obvious.

GEF34

PostPosted: 07/31/21 6:19 pm    ::: Re: The 12 best American W players who never played for Team Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:
at the Olympics

Quote:

I think it’s fair to put players like that on the list or at least in the discussion because it’s unknown what types of talks they have had with USA basketball in the past (some the media may actually have some info), and those talks could have played a role in their decisions to switch countries. I’m not sure of Becky Hammon and Deanna Nolan, but didn’t Courtney Vandersloot need to be released from USA basketball, similar to Nneka, so it is possible she was told she wasn’t in Team USA’s future and that’s why she made the choice to switch.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 08/01/21 6:23 pm    ::: Re: The 12 best American W players who never played for Team Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:
at the Olympics

Quote:

I think it’s fair to put players like that on the list or at least in the discussion because it’s unknown what types of talks they have had with USA basketball in the past (some the media may actually have some info), and those talks could have played a role in their decisions to switch countries. I’m not sure of Becky Hammon and Deanna Nolan, but didn’t Courtney Vandersloot need to be released from USA basketball, similar to Nneka, so it is possible she was told she wasn’t in Team USA’s future and that’s why she made the choice to switch.

Given USA's defensive weakness in the backcourt already, I don't think Slooty would have made the cut this year. With Bird and Sloot, we'd always have a defensive weakness to try to hide. Gray gets on the court alongside Bird because her height and reaction time are net positives on defense.

~rAf
UK1996

PostPosted: 08/01/21 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Slooty was eligible and had made the team, it should have been Bird’s spot she took.

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 08/01/21 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm still waiting for Voepel's column re: Hillsman.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: