RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Other sports
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iluvacc

PostPosted: 07/28/21 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
I heard on tonight's broadcast that the surfing in 2024 is going to be held in Tahiti. I'm not saying that they need to travel as far as Tahiti, but are there NO ball diamonds in Europe??

You'd almost have to hijack Bezos' penis ship, in order to get further away from Paris than Tahiti, but they can't find a place to play Softball.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/28/21 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm enjoying women's rugby. Never watched it before but am intrigued.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/28/21 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I'm enjoying women's rugby. Never watched it before but am intrigued.

Rugby Sevens can be fantastically entertaining. I've enjoyed seeing the American reactions to it, mostly going "ooh, this is pretty cool". It takes out a lot of the things that can sometimes make the 15-a-side version confusing and/or dull.

I was just thinking today that it's interesting how many sports are trending towards quicker, pared-down versions of themselves for the modern age, where attention spans are shorter and a lot of people don't want to sit in front of one game for two or three (or more) hours. Basketball, rugby and cricket have all done it, and other sports have made rule or scoring changes to speed things up (field hockey, for example, is barely recognisable from the boring mess it used to be when I was growing up). I wonder how many other sports need to be open to changes to keep pace and retain interest in their games.

PostPosted: 07/29/21 8:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I was just thinking today that it's interesting how many sports are trending towards quicker, pared-down versions of themselves for the modern age, where attention spans are shorter and a lot of people don't want to sit in front of one game for two or three (or more) hours. Basketball, rugby and cricket have all done it

Cricket had to pare down to fit into three hours instead of taking all week.

PostPosted: 07/29/21 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

I was just thinking today that it's interesting how many sports are trending towards quicker, pared-down versions of themselves for the modern age, where attention spans are shorter and a lot of people don't want to sit in front of one game for two or three (or more) hours. Basketball, rugby and cricket have all done it, and other sports have made rule or scoring changes to speed things up (field hockey, for example, is barely recognisable from the boring mess it used to be when I was growing up). I wonder how many other sports need to be open to changes to keep pace and retain interest in their games.

I don't meanto get off topic too much by turning this into yet another thread debating the pros/cons of various bball rules, but related to this, I would prefer that the clock didn't automatically stop after made baskets at the ends of bball games. Anything to speed up the last 60-90 seconds which become incredible dull more often than not. The current rules/strategies suck the momentum and excitement out of close games. Put more pressure on teams to execute in the last, say, 10 possessions, not just the final minute.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 07/30/21 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That was a bad beat for the US mixed relay team.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
myrtle

PostPosted: 07/30/21 11:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pretty OT but I've been noticing how beautiful so many of these athletes are...

undersized_post

PostPosted: 07/31/21 12:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:

If you're talking about the mixed 4x400m relay, the US team was reinstated. It was the officials fault for lining her up improperly. If you watch the unedited footage of the second heat, you can see it happens again to two other countries as well. I thought it was pretty gross how that NBC interviewer confronted the runner after her race.

myrtle wrote:
Pretty OT but I've been noticing how beautiful so many of these athletes are...

Cool

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 07/31/21 9:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

If you're talking about the mixed 4x400m relay, the US team was reinstated. It was the officials fault for lining her up improperly. If you watch the unedited footage of the second heat, you can see it happens again to two other countries as well. I thought it was pretty gross how that NBC interviewer confronted the runner after her race.)

I was, in fact, referring to the 4x100m mixed relay, in swimming.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/31/21 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Belinda Bencic takes the women's tennis Gold

PostPosted: 07/31/21 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Belinda Bencic takes the women's tennis Gold

And she has a chance to take the gold in women's doubles, too!

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 07/31/21 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Track fans definitely need to watch the Women's 100 m final. Wow Jamaica!

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 07/31/21 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
Track fans definitely need to watch the Women's 100 m final. Wow Jamaica!

<iframe width="448" height="252" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/a5IZ7BloyGs" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

GEF34

PostPosted: 07/31/21 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
USA softball falls to Japan in the Gold Medal game, 2-0. Canada claims bronze over Mexico. No softball in 2024 in France. France doesn't have the fields to accommodate softball(& baseball). Softball will return in 2028 in Los Angeles.

I don’t believe it’s been officially approved for 2028. People in the softball world have a lot of hope because it’s being hosted in Los Angeles, but there is still potential the IOC can say no, especially if it’s going to continue to be linked with baseball and they don’t vote to have baseball as an Olympic sport again.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/01/21 12:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jamaica. How does one tiny island produce so many world-dominant sprinters for so many years? Hmmm . . . .

Speaking of which, the "ROC" team represents the most flagrant loophole in the history of sports law. 331 Russian athletes nevertheless compete for their banned country, by changing the name of the team and agreeing to have Tchaikovsky played on the medal stand instead of the Russian national anthem. WADA = fake teeth.

Both the men's and women's 400 meter hurdles may feature the most potentially exciting world record showdowns of the track events -- the former featuring America (Benjamin) vs. Norway (Warholm) and the latter, America (Muhammad) vs. America (McLaughlin).
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 08/01/21 12:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

US men's epee team, with the epic choke job.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/01/21 7:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
USA softball falls to Japan in the Gold Medal game, 2-0. Canada claims bronze over Mexico. No softball in 2024 in France. France doesn't have the fields to accommodate softball(& baseball). Softball will return in 2028 in Los Angeles.

I don’t believe it’s been officially approved for 2028. People in the softball world have a lot of hope because it’s being hosted in Los Angeles, but there is still potential the IOC can say no, especially if it’s going to continue to be linked with baseball and they don’t vote to have baseball as an Olympic sport again.

It's going to continue to be linked to baseball. Since the early 90's every new sport introduced to the games must have both men's and women's events or be equally mixed.

PostPosted: 08/01/21 9:52 am    ::: Re: Other sports Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I was watching team handball earlier. I have no clue about it. Watching water polo now and know even less.

We played it in HS in the early 70s for gym class. I liked it a lot. IIRC, the basketball guys adapted to it quickly.

GEF34

PostPosted: 08/01/21 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

It's going to continue to be linked to baseball. Since the early 90's every new sport introduced to the games must have both men's and women's events or be equally mixed.

For the last few years the way people have been explaining it, Tokyo is the first time both sports were presented as a joint program, previously they have been presented as separate programs, so that’s part of the reason they added them to the Tokyo schedule, if they have to continue to be a joint program, which is why the entire softball portion of the tournament took place on a baseball field, I could see some problems arising if countries aren’t able to do that as easily as Japan was.

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 08/01/21 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Imo, the women's beach volleyball attire is ridiculous.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/01/21 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
Imo, the women's beach volleyball attire is ridiculous.

I don't think it looks comfortable, but it's apparently up to the players. They say that there's fewer places for the sand to hide.

Quote:
The answer, according to Corinne Calabro, the communications director for USA Volleyball, is pretty simple: Because that’s what the female athletes want to compete in.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/08/women-beach-volleyball-bikinis-men-uniform-guidelines-kerri-walsh-jennings

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
myrtle

PostPosted: 08/01/21 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The ending of the men's golf was pretty exciting. I enjoy watching golf but you rarely can claim it's 'exciting'.

lynxmania

PostPosted: 08/01/21 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jordyn Poulter with an ankle injury for USA Volleyball against Italy. Had to be helped off the court. Hopefully nothing serious. Especially after already losing Jordan Thompson against ROC.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 08/01/21 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I love the way Lily King is prepared to slander Russia's Olympic team, any time someone puts a microphone in front of her.

#HateHard Approved!

pilight

PostPosted: 08/02/21 8:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

US women's soccer goes out in the semis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: