RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coronavirus Pandemic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 92, 93, 94 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 07/23/21 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Two posts up, I quoted a news report saying cases had exceeded 20,000 cases/day. It's 4 days later, and now the number is up to 40,000 cases/day. The seven day moving average is up 135% from 2 weeks ago and 69% from last week. Hospitalizations are increasing as well, and ICU's are full in parts of MO and AR.

This time around, a disproportionate number of cases are in children because the vaccines aren't approved yet for kids <12 years old.

Five more days, and we're up to 56,000 new cases/day. The seven-day moving average is up 48% from last week and 150% from 2 weeks ago. The rate of increase exceeds last Oct-Nov, going into our first big surge. Hospitalizations are also up 34%, which is a bit deceptive because there's a big difference between widely-vaccinated and poorly vaccinated states.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 07/23/21 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was just talking to someone who said that his manager's kids had COVID. They are 2 and 4!!! The manager also got it and he was hospitalized!

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/24/21 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
Two posts up, I quoted a news report saying cases had exceeded 20,000 cases/day. It's 4 days later, and now the number is up to 40,000 cases/day. The seven day moving average is up 135% from 2 weeks ago and 69% from last week. Hospitalizations are increasing as well, and ICU's are full in parts of MO and AR.

This time around, a disproportionate number of cases are in children because the vaccines aren't approved yet for kids <12 years old.

Five more days, and we're up to 56,000 new cases/day. The seven-day moving average is up 48% from last week and 150% from 2 weeks ago. The rate of increase exceeds last Oct-Nov, going into our first big surge. Hospitalizations are also up 34%, which is a bit deceptive because there's a big difference between widely-vaccinated and poorly vaccinated states.

As one can see from the Worldometer graphs:

Yes, but the good news is that deaths per day are not up in the US, so far.

Hopefully also as a good news precedent, the UK has experienced a much larger rise in cases than the US (so far), beginning about seven weeks ago, and their deaths per day have nudged up only imperceptibly.
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/24/21 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, UK is the place I've been watching too and it's pretty encouraging.
It seems that Delta has now mostly outsmarted the vaccines in terms of infection and retransmission, but vaccinated people are doing well with avoiding serious illness / death.

PostPosted: 07/24/21 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Delta variant appears less deadly than the original strain. That's the way viruses usually work. The influenza that killed millions in 1918 is now just the flu.

PostPosted: 07/25/21 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
sambista wrote:
when the vaccine comes, i think i'll hold back . . .

Anti-vaxxer hysteria will be the perfect capstone to this event

I informed you thusly

PostPosted: 07/25/21 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

As one can see from the Worldometer graphs:

Yes, but the good news is that deaths per day are not up in the US, so far.

Hopefully also as a good news precedent, the UK has experienced a much larger rise in cases than the US (so far), beginning about seven weeks ago, and their deaths per day have nudged up only imperceptibly.

The case-fatality rate in the US has been stable at ~1.8% since last November. However proportionally more of those deaths are now occurring in patients 20-30-40 years old because they constitute the largest reservoir of unvaccinated adults.

https://ourworldindata.org/explorers/coronavirus-data-explorer?zoomToSelection=true&time=2020-03-14..latest&hideControls=true&Metric=Case+fatality+rate&Interval=Cumulative&Relative+to+Population=false&Align+outbreaks=true&country=~USA

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 07/25/21 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was just at the Meijer store (regional store similar to Walmart). They have returned the mechanical horse, Sandy, that the kids ride for a penny. She/he's been resting in the stable (that is the note that they posted) for the last 15-16 months.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 07/25/21 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Isn't this akin to crying "Fire" in a crowded theater? Why this still happening while people are dying?

The most influential spreader of coronavirus misinformation online

Quote:
The article that appeared online Feb. 9 began with a seemingly innocuous question about the legal definition of vaccines. Then over its next 3,400 words, it declared coronavirus vaccines were “a medical fraud” and said the injections did not prevent infections, provide immunity or stop transmission of the disease.

Instead, the article claimed, the shots “alter your genetic coding, turning you into a viral protein factory that has no off-switch.”

Its assertions were easily disprovable. No matter. Over the next few hours, the article was translated from English into Spanish and Polish. It appeared on dozens of blogs and was picked up by anti-vaccination activists, who repeated the false claims online. The article also made its way to Facebook, where it reached 400,000 people, according to data from CrowdTangle, a Facebook-owned tool.

The entire effort traced back to one person: Joseph Mercola.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/health/the-most-influential-spreader-of-coronavirus-misinformation-online/

tfan

PostPosted: 07/26/21 7:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Dr. Amesh Adalja, a senior scholar at the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security, said: "All variants are going to have a lower case fatality rate, because a significant portion of the population, especially those at high risk for death, are fully or partially vaccinated."

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2021/jul/07/instagram-posts/data-showing-lower-death-rate-coronavirus-delta-va/

tfan

PostPosted: 07/30/21 8:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CDC warns lawmakers that delta variant is as contagious as chickenpox and may make people sicker than original Covid

Measles is more contagious than Delta. But if there is a variant coming that is more contagious than measles will are guaranteed to let it into the country. And the same for a variant that is as deadly as Ebola. Can't ban or force quarantine travel because that's unscientific and you need to follow the science. And science apparently says let deadly respiratory viruses spread as much as possible and then wear cloth masks and shut down restaurants.

Quote:
The CDC warned the new delta variant sweeping across the country is as contagious as chickenpox, has a longer transmission window than the original Covid-19 strain and may make older people sicker.

Delta, already the dominant form of the disease in the United States, is more transmissible than the common cold, the 1918 Spanish flu, smallpox, Ebola, and MERS and SARS, according to a CDC document.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 07/30/21 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 08/04/21 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This Is Exactly When the Delta Variant Surge Will Peak, Expert Says

Quote:
According to Jeffrey Shaman, PhD, an epidemiologist from Columbia University, a recent model developed by his team of researchers predicts that the current surge of new cases fueled by the Delta variant will likely peak in four to five weeks.

Quote:
Shaman says the relaxing of public health protocols such as mask-wearing and social distancing is helping to fuel the surge.

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 08/04/21 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Delta variant is so yesterday....it's all about LambdaLambdaLambda now.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/08/21 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iceland has over 85% of its population vaccinated but is suffering a lot of breakthrough infections. It's chief epidemiologist now says:

Herd immunity must be achieved by transmitting the virus

Quote:
The epidemiologist believes that now we must try to achieve herd immunity against the coronary virus by letting it continue, but try to prevent serious illness by protecting vulnerable groups. He says the goal at this point cannot be to eradicate the virus from society.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 08/08/21 11:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In other not-so-good news, our 255K new cases on Sat. was the highest since the peak of our big surge in Jan., and this time we're nowhere near the peak yet.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/09/21 12:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Iceland has over 85% of its population vaccinated but is suffering a lot of breakthrough infections. It's chief epidemiologist now says:

Quote:
The epidemiologist believes that now we must try to achieve herd immunity against the coronary virus by letting it continue, but try to prevent serious illness by protecting vulnerable groups. He says the goal at this point cannot be to eradicate the virus from society.

I think that's how it will need to be.
We have screwed it up by letting this virus run rampant and mutate so much. Vaccine updates - even the mRNA ones - seem like they're not going to be able to keep up. So they're not going to give us the ideal type of herd immunity that results in a virus dying out due to lack of hosts.

So it may well be that the only practical way forward is to vaccinate for the purposes of minimising death/serious illness and then begin our "new normal".
That's what the government is hinting at down here. Get to 80% and open up.

PostPosted: 08/09/21 5:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
McCloskey, who helped lead the Olympic bubble, said it was a massive undertaking. More than 600,000 COVID-19 tests were administered, and since July 1, only 430 people and 29 athletes related to the games tested positive.

Quote:
“What Tokyo has just done in a historic way has proven that that advice is the right advice, and by following basic public health measures and by layering on top of that the testing program, we have shown it is possible to keep a pandemic at bay,” McCloskey said.

https://www.wane.com/japan-2020/heres-how-many-people-tested-positive-for-covid-at-the-olympics/

tfan

PostPosted: 08/09/21 7:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Quote:

I don't understand what he is saying. I see statements from medical lab/doctor types saying that the vaccine immunity is at least as good, but normally they say it is better than from having had COVID-19. I saw the immunity from infection equated to what someone has after only a single dose of PFizer or Moderna. So he should talk about forced vaccinations to get to 100%. And he should be talking about making sure that a small wealthy remote island doesn't get any more virus variants coming into the country. I don't know how epidemiologists get labeled as "scientists" even though they are against travel bans/forced-quarantines. That is not a scientific stance.

How Immunity Generated from COVID-19 Vaccines Differs from an Infection

Quote:
More importantly, the data provide further documentation that those who’ve had and recovered from a COVID-19 infection still stand to benefit from getting vaccinated.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 08/09/21 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:

Quote:

I don't understand what he is saying. I see statements from medical lab/doctor types saying that the vaccine immunity is at least as good, but normally they say it is better than from having had COVID-19. I saw the immunity from infection equated to what someone has after only a single dose of PFizer or Moderna. So he should talk about forced vaccinations to get to 100%. And he should be talking about making sure that a small wealthy remote island doesn't get any more virus variants coming into the country. I don't know how epidemiologists get labeled as "scientists" even though they are against travel bans/forced-quarantines. That is not a scientific stance.

So, I'm doing really well the last couple of months. Not perfect but no real complaints. But I had a hell of time in April and May. I'm not going to get into that now but suffice to say it forced me to take a step back from SOMETHING and Rebkell's was the thing I chose to take a break from.

Had I NOT... wow the shit that I've amassed over the last many months. If we thought that pandemic information was bungled or mangled or contradictory in 2020... 2021 would have been unimaginable. No one can argue otherwise. Not even YOU guys. Razz

So I'm just posting today to share with you all one knee-slapper I heard yesterday.

Don't make me make a video to prove this. A study was reported on that says that people who have had COVID are twice as likely to be infected as those who have never had it.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I think this was on NBC Nightly News.

Okay, back to your jammer-less existences. Wink

PostPosted: 08/09/21 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nice to see you back and feeling well jammer.

jammerbirdi wrote:

So I'm just posting today to share with you all one knee-slapper I heard yesterday.

Don't make me make a video to prove this. A study was reported on that says that people who have had COVID are twice as likely to be infected as those who have never had it.

They may have left something out as this headline does:

Study: Unvaccinated COVID-19 survivors more than twice as likely to get reinfected

The study found that people who had COVID-19 are 2.34 times more likely to get COVID-19 than people who are vaccinated.

Quote:
The survivors who never got vaccinated had a significantly higher risk of reinfection than those who were fully vaccinated, even though most had their first bout of COVID-19 just six to nine months ago.

I think I mentioned that I read in an article that in addition to being more easily spread, Delta is better at re-infecting people.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 08/09/21 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wasn’t sure, tfan, if that was the way I heard it so I didn’t post it that way. I should have. But still, it says something about acquiring a reliable degree of immunity from prior infection. Which seems to be the latest thing we’re pinning our hopes on.

PostPosted: 08/10/21 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Want some more confusion about Covid "science". This video was originally censored by YouTube because this practicing immunology and infectious disease doctor, testifying before a school board, disagrees with some of the CDC's counter-scientific, according to him, current recommendations.

<iframe width="760" height="352" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/auSox6ybZD8" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cynic that I am about goverment, I have believed long before Covid that bloated bureaucracies like the CDC are always more political, at the top, than scientific. I prefer to read and interpret actual data and source material myself, because that's what my liberal education taught me always to do as a first principle. However, it's hard to get solid and uncontradictory data, or any data, on many aspects of Covid.

One thing I have remained sure of since the very beginning of this worldwide pandemic: The virus may ebb and flow but will never go away, and it will do whatever it's going to do for however long it's going to do it, no matter how much we try to hide behind masks and doors. Only herd immunity can quiet a virus down to an endemic level, like influenza, and that can only happen through a combination of natural immunity from infections and artificially stimulated immunity from effective vaccines. Almost everything else is CYA smoke, much of it economically, psychologically and even medically harmful smoke.
Howee

PostPosted: 08/10/21 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
This video was originally censored(?) by YouTube because this practicing immunology and infectious disease doctor, testifying before a school board, disagrees with some of the CDC's counter-scientific, according to him, current recommendations.

Hmmm. This article certainly contradicts those credentials.
Quote:
He begins by describing himself as a “functional family medicine physician,” which per him “means [he] is specially trained in immunology and inflammation regulation.” In the video, he says he has treated 15 Covid patients. (emphasis added)

He may be a fine doctor as a holistic GP, but many of these guys have an agenda that even can, at times, reflect a political milieu. I can't judge him on any of that, but it's apparent he's NOT as well versed in epidemiology as those he contradicts.

I find the "folks" (I use that term generously) who sat there applauding his comments to be repugnant, cuz I guarantee you, they're NOT fellow scientists who've researched for themselves, but are merely bellering their political approval of some intellectual-sounding man says what they WANNA hear.

Also, I could find no proof that the video had actually been censored by YouTube. Is this social media gossip?

Having said all that, I find it most interesting that even here, there is still an inclination to politicize this pandemic and its handling.

Masks ineffective? Vaccines ineffective? Those seem to be the same mantras spouted by the *doubters*. I'm also NOT an epidemiologist, but to me, the science of "What Helps Mitigate Pandemics" is clear if one looks at the outbreaks currently in TX, AR, and FL. Likewise, different countries have had such divergent results, and the detractors are quick to point out how one theory or another is flawed....mostly cuz they're just full-time detractors: what is their actual purpose?

Unlike the folks in the past who had NO clue what was ravaging them and their fellow citizens during The Plague, and the charlatans who offered this or that theory to fix things, we HAVE come a long way in Medical science, even if not far enough to 'cure' every ill.

Interesting....there's still no cure or vaccine for cancer, but that's never politicized, even though many of its alleged causes HAVE been players on the political landscape in the past.

PostPosted: 08/10/21 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
One person who suffered a heart attack was bounced from six hospitals before finding an emergency room in New Orleans that could take him in, said Joe Kanter, Louisiana’s chief public health officer.

Quote:
Michelle Thomas, a registered nurse...resigned three weeks ago after hitting a wall.

“There was never a time that we could just kind of take a breath,” Thomas said Tuesday. “I hit that point … I can’t do this anymore. I’m so just tapped out.”

“It’s like incredibly taxing and traumatizing,” said Thomas, who is unsure if she will ever return to nursing.

Quote:
Miami’s Jackson Memorial Health System, Florida’s largest medical provider, has been losing nurses to staffing agencies, other hospitals and pandemic burnout, Executive Vice President Julie Staub said. The hospital’s CEO says nurses are being lured away to jobs in other states at double and triple the salary.

Quote:
To cover shortages, nurses who agree to work extra are getting the typical time-and-a-half for overtime plus $500 per additional 12-hour shift.

That's $41.67 AN HOUR, ON TOP of their 1.5x pay. Let that sink in for a minute.

Quote:
“Anecdotally, I’m seeing more and more nurses say, ‘I’m leaving, I’ve had enough,’” said Gerard Brogan, director of nursing practice with National Nurses United, an umbrella organization of nurses unions across the U.S. “’The risk to me and my family is just too much.’”

https://www.wishtv.com/news/coronavirus/hospitals-run-low-on-nurses-as-they-get-swamped-with-covid/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 92, 93, 94 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 93 of 100

Jump to: