undersized_post

PostPosted: 07/16/21 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

this box score.. oh my

Mixolydian

PostPosted: 07/16/21 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
this box score.. oh my

Agreed. I have so many questions.

They must be playing Stewie at the 3? Why is Turasi even on this team if she's injured? (Wasn't that the justification for not having Ogwumike?) Why are we shooting 2-18 from 3 when we have the post talent we do?

(If it wasn't clear, I couldn't watch the game - if anyone has suggestions for Olympic viewing for cord cutters I'd be happy to hear them. I have a VPN if that helps.)

SCook

PostPosted: 07/16/21 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mixolydian wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
this box score.. oh my

They must be playing Stewie at the 3? Why is Turasi even on this team if she's injured? (Wasn't that the justification for not having Ogwumike?) Why are we shooting 2-18 from 3 when we have the post talent we do?

(If it wasn't clear, I couldn't watch the game - if anyone has suggestions for Olympic viewing for cord cutters I'd be happy to hear them. I have a VPN if that helps.)

Australia sped them up and no one slowed down to take better shots. They took 3 threes and had 6'9" in the post with 3 and some change left in regulation. At one point her player was sealed under the basket. Call it oversight or a lack of chemistry but they tossed passes across the court and not inside.

Yes Stewie is playing the 3. I hope that the starting lineup is changed. Team USA does not need to die behind Sue Bird, Jewell Loyd or whatever the 3rd quarter lineup was.

I would like to understand why Dawn keeps deciding to start Aja at the 4 with BG at the 5 and then bring in Syl and Tina together. It's not working in my opinion but I'm not the coach so.

PostPosted: 07/16/21 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wished I'd seen it.

USA better get its shit together...I doubt they'll shoot this bad from 3 again, but why not pound it inside, ffs?

Bird 6/6 As/TOs unacceptable, as is 14/18 for the team.

BobScoutingReport

PostPosted: 07/16/21 5:50 pm    ::: USA loses to AU Reply Reply with quote

Fans need to stop with this Nneka nonsense! Nneka is an outstanding player but the USA frontline is not the problem.

The USA is a wing short forced to play Stewart at the three (still effective but not at her best). There is no wing player off the bench energizing the team. As was shown by the loss to Team WNBA, this team badly needs an Arike who can be explosive.

Also, this Olympic team is built to win with in-the-paint offensive, not maul an opponent with oppressive defense (defense in the last three minutes today was better).

There are also several sets of old legs on this team. While these players may still be playing at a high level most of the time, some days these 30+ stars may not be at their best. When that happens to several in the same game, losing can become more likely (as today).

Unlike the men where the rest of the world may be catching up, the USA women have a huge gap in star power over the rest of the world. However, basketball is a team game and these lesser national teams for the most part have been preparing for the Tokyo Olympics for months not days and that can close the gap.

In spite of the two losses this week, the US Women's team is still the favorite to win the Gold. However, two loud wake-up calls have been sounded. A sense of urgency/not taking victory for granted needs to be the order for each pre-game going forward.

Bottom line: These twelve players and their coaches have got to look themselves in the mirror and ask if they want to be the first team not to bring the Gold back to the USA since 1992?

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 07/16/21 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SCook wrote:
Mixolydian wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
this box score.. oh my

Australia sped them up and no one slowed down to take better shots. They took 3 threes and had 6'9" in the post with 3 and some change left in regulation. At one point her player was sealed under the basket. Call it oversight or a lack of chemistry but they tossed passes across the court and not inside.

Yes Stewie is playing the 3. I hope that the starting lineup is changed. Team USA does not need to die behind Sue Bird, Jewell Loyd or whatever the 3rd quarter lineup was.

I would like to understand why Dawn keeps deciding to start Aja at the 4 with BG at the 5 and then bring in Syl and Tina together. It's not working in my opinion but I'm not the coach so.

Brit and Sylvia played 24 minutes combined, in a game where we shot 2-18 from the 3. ???

I think our coaching staff needs to rethink their game plans.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/16/21 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just finished watching and geeeeezzzzz... the Opals were a little sloppy at times, but Team USA was just awful. Had they just come straight from an afternoon of drinking or something? That was some dumb basketball from some quality players.
Probably valuable to the team in the long run to know that losing actually is possible if they *really* play like they don't give a shit.

PostPosted: 07/16/21 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, I can't help but wonder...Sandy > Dawn? Twisted Evil Laughing
Iluvacc

PostPosted: 07/16/21 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is the legacy Carol has created Laughing Laughing

SCook

PostPosted: 07/16/21 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
SCook wrote:
Mixolydian wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
this box score.. oh my

Brit and Sylvia played 24 minutes combined, in a game where we shot 2-18 from the 3. ???

I think our coaching staff needs to rethink their game plans.

Dawn went small in the 3rd to match Australia. Exhibition game or not, in what life do you decide to do that up 41-28? The lead dwindled down to 10 and she didn't call a timeout. Like sis, the small lineup was not working. Anyone with eyes knew that. Stewie and Aja played well offensively together in the 3rd but none of the 5 kept anyone in front. They couldn't close out on jump shooters or 3 pt shooters. I think Skylar turned the ball over and ran down the court, blocked the shot and no one from her team came down the court. Dawn took a timeout and I'm pretty sure the lead was gone by then.

I get that she's playing with lineups but when do you reign them in. Down 3 with under 3 to go and you get your post player in the paint but 3 players took 3's before even thinking to give her the ball.

Why are Syl and Tina playing together and setting up on the same side of the court in the paint? Why are Skylar and Chelsea playing together and Chelsea's playing the 2 and Skylar's running the point? Absolutely not. Why isn't the second unit comprised of a unit that's faster? Last I checked Skylar and Chelsea are get into the paint type of guards so why not play to those strengths.

Dawn is worried about them being new, instead of looking at their strengths and building them that way. Throw Tina out there with BG and let Aja play with the faster unit off the bench.

PostPosted: 07/16/21 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USA played with no energy. Maybe they thought this was going to be an easy win without Liz.

Whose the head coach? The min distribution of USA was mighty weird. Aussie spread that sh*t around. Even Alania Smith saw hardwood.

Good dub for the island should give them loads of confidence going forward

ChiSky54

PostPosted: 07/16/21 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mixolydian wrote:

Turns out that I can through YouTubeTV. NBCSN is part of the package. I didn't record it but was able to search my provider on NBCSN's site, log in and find the game on the list.

No contracts or equipment, unlimited DVR, good selection of channels, including most sports ones, $64.99/mo. (with discounts available). Not a long trial period (currently 14 days, usually not that long).

PostPosted: 07/16/21 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
This is the legacy Carol has created Laughing Laughing

I have to say, I'm happy Carol is leaving. But unfortunately that probably won't change the overall landscape.

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/16/21 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just watched the 4th quarter. But not sure why the camera spent so much time on DT sitting in her chair. Seemed to be a dis-connect. Like that was more important than panning on the players who were actually playing.

Milks26

PostPosted: 07/16/21 11:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I just watched the 4th quarter. But not sure why the camera spent so much time on DT sitting in her chair. Seemed to be a dis-connect. Like that was more important than panning on the players who were actually playing.

What do u expect these ppl are so obsessed. I'm sure the camera man was instructed by the powers at be to reference as to why USA weren't smashing the Aussies.

awhom111

PostPosted: 07/16/21 11:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The broadcast seems to have touched off a debate about what constitutes an exhibition loss. Did I hallucinate the time that the 2014 team lost to France before the world championships?
Shades

PostPosted: 07/17/21 5:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oXCU8GU7fDY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Refs didn’t interfere with the USA trying to win this game. It’s just very odd to see these players down the stretch who are normally very clutch for their WNBA teams (all Storm players taking threes in these last moments), didn’t even come close to hitting their shots.

I wouldn’t worry too much. I think they’ll get it together by the time the games really matter. If they don’t, oh well.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/17/21 8:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
The broadcast seems to have touched off a debate about what constitutes an exhibition loss. Did I hallucinate the time that the 2014 team lost to France before the world championships?

Honestly, they were getting so much stuff wrong on the broadcast that I figured the 2010 date they gave might well have been wrong even for just international teams, but it didn't seem worth searching for the results. Penny Taylor's a three-time world champion, apparently.

Also it amuses me the way that when a dominant team is beating everyone, people track down every game they ever play so that they can claim "they're 12398693-1 over the last 12 years!" or whatever. Then when they start doing things like losing two in a row a week before the Olympics it's "well these are only preparation games, the results are basically irrelevant..."

PostPosted: 07/17/21 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i find staley's usage of players odd... why did Wilson play so little? why did bird play so much?
why is atkins playing so much? at the same argument if jewell isn't hitting her shots i guess play atkins more... and loyd less...

as far as using Atkins for defense, i have a feeling collier will be more valuable as she can potentially guard 2s 3s and 4s. and 1s depending on the country, good for switching

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: