RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Interesting article about public protest

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bucks4now

PostPosted: 07/06/21 4:07 pm    ::: Interesting article about public protest Reply Reply with quote

There are some things that I hadn't thought about in this article.

https://thefederalist.com/2021/07/05/i-shouldnt-be-forced-into-politics-to-play-college-sports/

Queenie

PostPosted: 07/06/21 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think I just got three lines on my buzzword bingo card from that piece.

(now with spelling variations)
undersized_post

PostPosted: 07/06/21 10:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Per the last paragraph, she wants to keep BLM out of sports because, in her words, the movement is meant to "silence and divide." Does she not see the irony in that, if she had her way, it would silence and divide the teammates who voluntarily support BLM? Hypocrisy at its finest - she is not coerced, she is not "silenced." Author is a typical "i love free speech unless it makes me uncomfortable."

She writes, "But is anyone stopping for a moment to question whether the players protesting really want to be?" Well, kelly.. clearly you haven't actually asked many of them or else the answer would be yes.

last thing: i bet her teammates absolutely loved her Laughing

Howee

PostPosted: 07/07/21 12:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What better place than in a college setting for young people to realize that membership on a team with people holding different political/personal perspectives is a prime way to learn the skills of navigating one's way through opposing views, and negotiating via common INTERESTS/passions, rather than holding those discordant views as dividing walls.

PostPosted: 07/07/21 1:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ahh, this is from The Federalist... so, no, I will not be clicking & reading, but I will be wishing everyone involved in the article well!

calbearman76

PostPosted: 07/07/21 5:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is a thought provoking article but in order to understand the perspective of Miss Fitzgerald I decided to do some research.

Fitzgerald played in 76 games during her 4 year career, but only 3 games in her junior year due to an injury. Throughout her career she was a reserve, averaging roughly 10 minutes per game (2.3 PPG), but in her last 10 games she averaged 19 minutes. She had the only start of her career on Senior Day, scoring a career high 17 points. She was a very good student, named to the A-10 Commissioner's Honor roll in her first two seasons. She went to high school in Cary, NC which is a very good high school near UNC.

Davidson had an African-American head coach and 4 of their top 5 scorers were African-American the year before she arrived. The school hired Gayle Coats Fulks the same year Fitzgerald started (I could not tell whether she was recruited by the former coach (Michele Savage) or Coats. By 2020 the team had only 2 African-American players, both reserves.

So it seems this isn't a particularly liberal team. The coach is married to someone named Ryan, presumably a man. While there is no mention of exactly when this happened it was presumably in season during her senior year. The school had a Commission on Race and Slavery which instituted a Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Initiative. There is no mention of "Black Lives Matter" so this was presumably suggested by one of the players or coaches. Miss Fitzgerald mentions that she had raised concerns about this, but given that she got more playing time in the last 10 games than she got the rest of her career it doesn't seem she was in any way punished for holding her views.

It also seems that her knowledge of Black Lives Matter is according to Fox News. She blames the violence that accompanied Black Lives Matter demonstrations as if BLM was directly responsible for it. She also states,

"Political messaging in sports isn’t new, but the grip and scale this possesses over sports is. Administrators providing collegiate athletes the platform to speak out on important issues has transformed athletics into a system of coercive speech."

I doubt she considers playing the national anthem before sporting events to be political messaging even though that is still the single most blatant messaging surrounding sports.

I agree with her that often this type of group expression of political issues can be coercive and that it is quite possible that some of her teammates may have just gone along with the group's expression rather than having deep conviction. Obviously the hope is that the students will actually think about the issue, perhaps with additional information, and then make up their own mind. But true coercion would require some type of negative consequence for holding or espousing an alternate position and it seems clear she did not suffer for her alternative thought.

Howee

PostPosted: 07/07/21 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very well articulated, Cal.

I personally believe that any kid old enough to vote is entitled to make their voice heard, even in a team setting. IT SHOULD NOT OVERRIDE THEIR TEAM'S PURPOSE (to be competitive in their sport), but if it is a large enough societal concern, then a token of support for a matter such as BLM is not out of line. Dissenters should not be dismissed, either.

I also believe some of Ms. Fitzgerald's discomfort with this lies in the fact that she's feeling (perhaps for the first time?) what it's like to be part of a Minority.

PostPosted: 07/07/21 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:

It also seems that her knowledge of Black Lives Matter is according to Fox News. She blames the violence that accompanied Black Lives Matter demonstrations as if BLM was directly responsible for it.

Thanks you for your background on this story. The fact that you believe that she got her "knowledge" about BLM is from Fox news. I completely disagreed. She got that from the BLM website that states that they want to dismantle the nuclear family among other things. They have since deleted their mission statement that included this.

Howee

PostPosted: 07/07/21 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

It also seems that her knowledge of Black Lives Matter is according to Fox News. She blames the violence that accompanied Black Lives Matter demonstrations as if BLM was directly responsible for it.

Thanks you for your background on this story. The fact that you believe that she got her "knowledge" about BLM is from Fox news. I completely disagreed. She got that from the BLM website that states that they want to dismantle the nuclear family among other things. They have since deleted their mission statement that included this.

Andddd....you actually VIEWED this yourself, in its originality on the BLM website?? I'd be most interested to see any proof of that. Cuz it sounds awfully like Trump propaganda. Awfully. "Yeah, they said it, but then they took it down, but .... just believe us, THAT'S what they want."

PostPosted: 07/08/21 1:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

My comment regarding Fox News related specifically to her tying Black Lives Matter directly to all of the damage and deaths caused by the riots spawned by the death of George Floyd. While some of the demonstrations were directly organized by Black Lives Matter the organization did not support the associated riots. This was a nexus Fox News (and other right wing news organizations) made and that was my reason for ascribing her claims to Fox News. Had Ms. Fitzgerald specifically cited the nuclear family issue I might give this more consideration but as it is she referenced their raising money for prominent democrats and neo-Marxism. As for what their website said, I include this page of what we believe, archived from their website.

https://archive.is/oARH0

Their belief was clearly uplifting and supporting Black people but included more support of alternative lifestyles than would generally be understood (They presumably removed this because it took away from their primary focus) There is no mention of neo-Marxism.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 07/08/21 1:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

I also believe some of Ms. Fitzgerald's discomfort with this lies in the fact that she's feeling (perhaps for the first time?) what it's like to be part of a Minority.

Exactly

Howee

PostPosted: 07/08/21 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This portion of the archived document:
Quote:
We disrupt the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement by supporting each other as extended families and “villages” that collectively care for one another, especially our children, to the degree that mothers, parents, and children are comfortable.

....comes closest to what bucks was referencing when mentioning their interest in "dismantling the nuclear family". Though there's a difference between "disrupting" and "dismantling" the nuclear family, that's kind of trite; what IS important in that statement is that we as a society need to fully embrace the families that do NOT look like The Cleavers, The Reeds, or my own childhood family. That paradigm needs to be "disrupted", to encourage the embracing of families with a single parent and 3 adopted kids, or a pair of men raising 2 babies, etc., etc. The traditional nuclear family is just fine -- no dismantling needed -- but we must stop treating 'other' types of families as "Less Than".

PostPosted: 07/08/21 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
This portion of the archived document:
Quote:
We disrupt the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement by supporting each other as extended families and “villages” that collectively care for one another, especially our children, to the degree that mothers, parents, and children are comfortable.

....comes closest to what bucks was referencing when mentioning their interest in "dismantling the nuclear family". Though there's a difference between "disrupting" and "dismantling" the nuclear family, that's kind of trite; what IS important in that statement is that we as a society need to fully embrace the families that do NOT look like The Cleavers, The Reeds, or my own childhood family. That paradigm needs to be "disrupted", to encourage the embracing of families with a single parent and 3 adopted kids, or a pair of men raising 2 babies, etc., etc. The traditional nuclear family is just fine -- no dismantling needed -- but we must stop treating 'other' types of families as "Less Than".

What Howee said. You put it more eloquently than I could, Howee. And even some "nuclear" families are pretty non-nuclear. I'm thinking of my daughter's family of "yours, mine, and ours", which, when added up, involves 4 moms, 2 dads, and a total of 9 kids. Don't try to figure it out, I can barely keep it straight myself, but it runs well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: