RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coaching Search Talk
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
patsweetpat

PostPosted: 05/20/21 11:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
LitePal wrote:
It was obviously her agent who was hard selling and USC said no. It was "leaked" that she was the front runner until negotiations fell through so USC obviously wanted her. For someone who was an associate head coach to being a head coach in P5 is a big jump and I agree, an outstanding opportunity.

Mark Campbell is, I believe, more highly regarded than Shannon, and the best he could do was Sacramento State.

I have no inside knowledge and am just pulling this directly out of my butt, but I kind of imagine that Shannon has a great shot at getting the UCLA gig whenever Coach Close moves on. If Shannon has a similar sense, I can imagine it taking quite a bit to lure her away from Westwood.

Cori Close is not even 50 and her mentor Sue Semrau is still going strong at 60. Tara is 67. It might be a super long wait. I'd add that Shannon also was briefly an assistant coach at USC so she does have something of a history there. If she was really negotiating with the school, I'd assume she wanted the job, which she should have, IMO. I also don't know if schools are so big on promoting the assistant coaches. USC didn't when Trakh "retired" and UCLA didn't when Caldwell Fargas left. I do know that Tasha Butts was very well liked by the administration and is known as a hard working and excellent coach.

It doesn't always work out well, like Summitt being succeeded by Warlick but it can work out great, like Enquist being succeeded by Inouye Perez.

Well, we'll see sooner or later. If someone forced me to bet money on who will be the next UCLAWBB head coach (whenever the day comes that Coach Close moves on), I'd almost certainly put my money on Shannon Perry. But I could be wrong! I'm frequently wrong.

LitePal

PostPosted: 05/20/21 11:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Cori continues her very successful run and is poached by another program, I seriously doubt UCLA will hand the keys to the car to her associate head coach. However, I also think Gottlieb's ridiculous salary will allow Cori a raise, which she deserves. If she gets a large enough salary increase, maybe she'd stay regardless.

Also, Shannon Perry LeBeauf's husband Sean is an associate head coach at Northern Colorado. It could have been a nice husband and wife gig so I do believe she wanted it.

PG4ever

PostPosted: 05/27/21 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know KBA (Michigan) likes to take her time when choosing assistants but any word on who might join Carrie Moore and Val Nainima as the 3rd assistant?

BD22

PostPosted: 05/28/21 10:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG4ever wrote:
I know KBA (Michigan) likes to take her time when choosing assistants but any word on who might join Carrie Moore and Val Nainima as the 3rd assistant?

There's your answer!

https://t.co/YqwsfJIOnb?amp=1

PG4ever

PostPosted: 06/25/21 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anybody hearing anything about candidates for the last two LSU assistant positions?

Durantula

PostPosted: 06/25/21 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG4ever wrote:
Anybody hearing anything about candidates for the last two LSU assistant positions?

Someone had said Kaylin Rice is coming over from Baylor. I don't know why they don't list her, or anyone else other than Mulkey and Messer, on the roster.

And to the above post about Gottlieb you are right. She talked up how she needs more support, more salary to attract good assistants. Would those assistants really not be attainable before she got there? Cal and Utah not tearing it up.

LitePal

PostPosted: 06/26/21 12:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gottlieb's obscene 1 million dollar a year contract may have already cost USC. Rumors are that track coach Caroly Smith Gilbert left for Georgia just days after winning her second national championship in three years because she was upset about Gottlieb's salary. CSG went to Georgia which is said to have offered her a contract where the incentives were more than the base salary USC offered. Since Gottlieb's salary is stratospherically higher than almost any other aside from Football or Basketball, and she has never won a national championship, will some of the other coaches react just as negatively?

Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 06/28/21 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Would her salary be considered obscene if she was coaching a men’s team? The track coach leaving because of a women’s team coach getting a fraction of what a men’s team coach gets is plain jealousy.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 06/28/21 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:
Would her salary be considered obscene if she was coaching a men’s team? The track coach leaving because of a women’s team coach getting a fraction of what a men’s team coach gets is plain jealousy.

So, when Andy Enfield was hired to be the USC men's basketball coach in 2016, he got a contract for 6 years, $6 million so a $1M/year deal. And he was fresh off leading Florida Gulf Coast to a run in the NCAA Tournament. Think they got to the Sweet 16 or even the Elite 8. Gottlieb is getting the same contract as far as I can tell as the men's coach did when he was first hired.

But, when we are comparing that with other women's coaches salaries across the board, that has to put her among the Top 20. If you pulled up men's coaches salaries, I would be that would put her among the Top 100/125. You would assume every school in the Power 5 along with most in the A-10 and Big East are making 7 figures. Then you have some top mid-majors like Gonzaga that pay that much but there aren't many. Schools in the Southern, MAAC, WAC, Southland, America East, MAC, Colonial, Big West, Northeast, SWAC, etc aren't paying even close to a million bucks/year to their men's basketball head coaches. So, while you throw out the term "fraction", the reality is she is making more than the vast majority of NCAA men's basketball head coaches in this country.

I would dare say that for a head coach that has only advanced beyond the 2nd round of the NCAA once in her 11 years as a head coach (yes, I get it was a Final Four appearance), getting a contract for a million bucks/year would be quite obscene. And her Final Four year happened during her 2nd year in Berkeley, so clearly done mostly with kids recruited by Boyle before she left for UVa.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 06/28/21 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
Gottlieb's obscene 1 million dollar a year contract may have already cost USC. Rumors are that track coach Caroly Smith Gilbert left for Georgia just days after winning her second national championship in three years because she was upset about Gottlieb's salary. CSG went to Georgia which is said to have offered her a contract where the incentives were more than the base salary USC offered. Since Gottlieb's salary is stratospherically higher than almost any other aside from Football or Basketball, and she has never won a national championship, will some of the other coaches react just as negatively?

I'm confused by this story ... At what P5 school does the track coach make anything close to what the women's basketball coach does? What does Gottlieb's salary have to do with Georgia offering her more than USC did? Are you suggesting that she would have stayed for less money if Gottlieb had been paid less? That makes no sense.

Howee

PostPosted: 06/28/21 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I dunno....I see it as USC just throwing money at their wbb program hoping something positive happens. I can see the track coach getting a bit miffed if they're not 'throwing money' her way, given she's steering a national powerhouse in that sport. And....she maybe GA offered a better opportunity, including things beyond salary.

PostPosted: 06/28/21 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gottlieb's salary isn't $1M, that's what she makes with incentives and whatnot. She's making about what Dawn Staley made when she was first hired by South Carolina. Staley had never gone past the second round of the NCAA tournament at that point.

PostPosted: 06/28/21 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Gottlieb's salary isn't $1M, that's what she makes with incentives and whatnot. She's making about what Dawn Staley made when she was first hired by South Carolina. Staley had never gone past the second round of the NCAA tournament at that point.

Did USC release this? As a private school I thought they don't provide financials.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 06/29/21 2:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
LitePal wrote:

I'm confused by this story ... At what P5 school does the track coach make anything close to what the women's basketball coach does? What does Gottlieb's salary have to do with Georgia offering her more than USC did? Are you suggesting that she would have stayed for less money if Gottlieb had been paid less? That makes no sense.

I agree with PUmatty. It makes no sense for a track and field coach to make a big career decision based on the contract offered to a WBB coach.

It has been known since early May that Georgia's track coach was quitting. Gilbert, whose hire by Georgia was announced on June 13, surely was offered and accepted the job before the NCAA nationals, which were held June 9-12, and in which the USC women won first and the Georgia women won third. Both programs have been track & field powerhouses.

You don't have to be Sarah Lund or Saga Norén to detect that Georgia probably offered Gilbert a better financial package than she was getting at USC.

In addition, Gilbert will head both the men's and women's teams at Georgia, as she did at USC, and will be the first woman to head a men's program at Georgia. She previously had coaching, educational and family roots in the south, having been six-time COY at UCF as well as an SEC assistant at Tennessee and Alabama. She has a masters degree from Tennessee, as does her husband, who was linebacker at Alabama.
pilight

PostPosted: 08/30/21 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Appears all the D-I head coaching hires are done. By my count there were 51 hires (not counting interims). 43 are women, only eight are men.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: