Pacers are off the board

Five openings remain: Dallas, New Orleans, Orland, Portland, and Washington

PostPosted: 06/25/21 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mavericks decide to recycle Jason Kidd

Four openings remain: New Orleans, Orlando, Portland, and Washington

PostPosted: 06/25/21 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://sports.yahoo.com/rumor-trail-blazers-owner-jody-130040996.html

Rumor: Trail Blazers owner Jody Allen interested in Becky Hammon as coach

Truly heinous writing style in that article but more click bait for the Hammon coaching rumours.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/25/21 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hammon and the Blazers isn't really a 'rumour' when respected people with actual sources like Shams Charania have been saying she's a finalist for days: https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1407018489181839368?s=20

PostPosted: 06/25/21 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Hammon and the Blazers isn't really a 'rumour' when respected people with actual sources like Shams Charania have been saying she's a finalist for days: https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1407018489181839368?s=20

Another reason that article is dreadfully cobbled together.

pilight

PostPosted: 06/26/21 7:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks like Portland is going with Chauncey Billups

https://www.nba.com/news/reports-chauncey-billups-set-to-become-blazers-head-coach

Billups coaching experience consists of one season as an assistant for the Clippers

PostPosted: 06/28/21 8:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Portland is off the board

Three openings remain: New Orleans, Orlando, and Washington

PostPosted: 06/28/21 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Per an NBA scout who told me off the record: The misogyny level among players is so high that it's very unlikely a female head coach will be hired.

Of course that doesn't mean it won't happen, but Becky Hammon -- as good as she is -- would have to spend a year or so winning over or weeding out those who won't listen to her before she could really get down to coaching. And I just don't know that any franchise will give up that much time.

PostPosted: 06/28/21 9:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Per an NBA scout who told me off the record: The misogyny level among players is so high that it's very unlikely a female head coach will be hired.

Of course that doesn't mean it won't happen, but Becky Hammon -- as good as she is -- would have to spend a year or so winning over or weeding out those who won't listen to her before she could really get down to coaching. And I just don't know that any franchise will give up that much time.

Thats why it would be best if she stays with the Spurs and takes over from Pop when he is going to retire.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
StevenHW

PostPosted: 06/28/21 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NBA Needs To Quit Using Becky Hammon's Name For Positive PR.

http://beyondthew.com/nba-needs-to-quit-using-becky-hammons-name-for-positive-pr/

Quote:
With all of the lip service teams and leagues love to pay about making their sports more welcoming for women, the NBA and its teams need to do less talking the talk and more walking the walk. Because hiring individuals like Kidd and Billups with their less-than-perfect backgrounds while messing over an actual woman is an indication that plenty of [NBA] bigwigs say something that is opposite of the progressive message NBA suits say in public.

PostPosted: 06/28/21 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

The same players that outspokenly support the WNBA and speak favorably about Hammon?

TBH, I think the problem is that GM's, Scouts, etc...(older men) have such a high misogyny level that they don't believe it's possible that young men would listen to a woman.

PostPosted: 06/28/21 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
The same players that outspokenly support the WNBA and speak favorably about Hammon?

It's one thing to talk the talk, it's a whole other thing to walk the walk

PostPosted: 06/28/21 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

TBH, I think the problem is that GM's, Scouts, etc...(older men) have such a high misogyny level that they don't believe it's possible that young men would listen to a woman.

So do you think any player would come out and say he'd never play for a woman?

Sure, some players truly support the women and the women's game. Some pay it lip service. And some say nothing, because if you can't say something nice ...

PostPosted: 06/28/21 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

It's one thing to talk the talk, it's a whole other thing to walk the walk

That's fair. But personally, I've noticed far less sexism from younger men (from Gen Z in particular) than previous generations. We can say it's just talk, but older generations didn't even talk right. (And Gm's, Owners, Media, Scouts, older coaches..still don't..)

And I think it's far more likely this is coming from the top..as GM's, Coaches, Media etc..like to blame players for crap. Look at the recent stuff for Dame. Its completely reasonable for him to not have known about the issues that Kidd and Billups had in the news 20 years ago. But the Toronto management framed the hiring as making him happy, when in reality..it was their decision.

So I think the more likely scenario is " older GMs, coaches, owners, and media wouldn't respect a woman, and therefore project it onto the players who are saying a completely different thing."

DeAndre Ayton and Devin Booker would follow Taurasi around Talking Sticks Arena like duckings if she let them. Laughing

PostPosted: 06/28/21 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

So do you think any player would come out and say he'd never play for a woman?

There are definitely some players who would say it. Like, if Draymond Green really felt that way, we'd know it. Laughing

PostPosted: 06/28/21 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
NBA Needs To Quit Using Becky Hammon's Name For Positive PR.

http://beyondthew.com/nba-needs-to-quit-using-becky-hammons-name-for-positive-pr/

Quote:
With all of the lip service teams and leagues love to pay about making their sports more welcoming for women, the NBA and its teams need to do less talking the talk and more walking the walk. Because hiring individuals like Kidd and Billups with their less-than-perfect backgrounds while messing over an actual woman is an indication that plenty of [NBA] bigwigs say something that is opposite of the progressive message NBA suits say in public.

Great piece. Thanks for posting it. Is there a named author? Didn't see that.

I'm happy whenever I see the NBA say or do anything progressive.
But it's a corporation, like any other sports league. Of course they're going to put out wonderful-sounding b.s. public relations pieces. Of course they're going to love saying that Becky Hammon is a serious candidate for a coaching job whether it's true or not.

It's valuable for this writer to name and challenge the con job.

PostPosted: 06/28/21 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The thing is, there are also countless male assistant coaches who've had to go through a crapload of interviews with different teams before finally getting a chance at a head coaching gig. You can call it tokenism or virtue signalling or whatever, but there's also the chance that Hammon's simply part of the same process, and not getting these jobs just like lots of men are not getting these jobs. I'd be willing to bet that there's some of both sides (and of course, none of these teams are ever going to object to it being 'leaked' that they're interviewing her, whether they have actual interest or not).

PostPosted: 06/28/21 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2945304-inside-the-highly-scrutinized-nba-head-coaching-hires-in-portland-dallas

Quote:
Hammon impressed Portland officials and was generally liked among Blazers staffers, sources said. But when Portland reached out for intel from San Antonio figures, the background on Hammon was not nearly as complimentary pertaining to various aspects of day-to-day coaching responsibilities. That sentiment has been echoed by sources around the league. Blazers personnel then cast doubt that Hammon was the candidate to steer the ship through such delicate waters with Lillard.

PostPosted: 06/28/21 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seems bizarre that she's hung around in San Antonio so long, moving up the ranks of Pop's assistants, if opinions of her there are that negative.

PostPosted: 06/28/21 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Seems bizarre that she's hung around in San Antonio so long, moving up the ranks of Pop's assistants, if opinions of her there are that negative.

I can't take that report seriously, without knowing how many male candidates are judged by that same matric? Like, I don't pay super close attention to the coaching reporting beat, but I can't recall ever hearing about "day-to-day coaching responsibilities" for assistants, that are considered dealbreakers for male coaching candidates.

Which isn't to say that it isn't true, just that I've never heard of it.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 06/28/21 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

I don't trust a single ounce of the various anonymous reports posted above. Perhaps Becky Hammon is a great assistant coach. Perhaps she isn't. But this is a league where sometimes men with absolutely NO coaching experience are named as head coaches. Same old boys' club till they demonstrate that it isn't.

PostPosted: 06/28/21 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's too much drama going on with Portland job. With the negative slanted article on Becky with the good plays, Portland's best player Damian Lillard allegedly want out of Portland and a rape allegation that happened in 1997 that is publicly revealed for the first time against Chauncey Billups.

Randy

PostPosted: 06/28/21 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
There's too much drama going on with Portland job. With the negative slanted article on Becky with the good plays, Portland's best player Damian Lillard allegedly want out of Portland and a rape allegation that happened in 1997 that is publicly revealed for the first time against Chauncey Billups.

There is a reason they are called the Jailblazers....

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 06/28/21 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
There is a reason they are called the Jailblazers....

How are things back in 2005, by the way?

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 06/28/21 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

I don't trust a single ounce of the various anonymous reports posted above. Perhaps Becky Hammon is a great assistant coach. Perhaps she isn't. But this is a league where sometimes men with absolutely NO coaching experience are named as head coaches. Same old boys' club till they demonstrate that it isn't.

Steve Nash has way more coaching experience than Hammon.🙄

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: