RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Kara Lawson, next Boston Celtics head coach ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RI_Sun_Fan

PostPosted: 06/02/21 1:32 pm    ::: Kara Lawson, next Boston Celtics head coach ? Reply Reply with quote

So after the Boston Celtics lost their series to the Nets, team president Danny Ainge retired and the team promoted Brad Stevens from head coach to President of Basketball Operations.

One name that's brought up is Kara Lawson.

https://www.audacy.com/weei/sports/celtics/scalabrine-i-think-boston-celtics-hire-kara-lawson

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 06/02/21 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She hasn't even coached a whole season at Duke: you think she'd cut and run, that soon?

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 06/02/21 1:39 pm    ::: Re: Kara Lawson, next Boston Celtics head coach ? Reply Reply with quote

RI_Sun_Fan wrote:
So after the Boston Celtics lost their series to the Nets, team president Danny Ainge retired and the team promoted Brad Stevens from head coach to President of Basketball Operations.

One name that's brought up is Kara Lawson.

https://www.audacy.com/weei/sports/celtics/scalabrine-i-think-boston-celtics-hire-kara-lawson

I dont think it would be smart for her to move from Duke. More stability and a chance to build a legacy versus going to the NBA and having a subpar playoff run and being fired for it after 1 year. #STAYATDUKE Kara !

PostPosted: 06/02/21 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My guess: very few people would turn down a chance to make history. I hope Kara Lawson is chosen to be the coach of the Boston Celtics and I hope she takes the job. And does wonderfully!

PostPosted: 06/02/21 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why in the world would they hire Lawson? She has virtually no coaching experience. One season as an NBA assistant and four whole games at Duke before the quit the season.

The Celtics hiring her would be even more bizarre than Duke doing so.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 06/02/21 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Or Becky...

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jeremyhayes/becky-hammon-might-be-celtics-head-coach

Shades

PostPosted: 06/02/21 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
Or Becky...

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jeremyhayes/becky-hammon-might-be-celtics-head-coach

This would make more sense.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 06/02/21 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I mean, I feel like these articles are just click bait at this point.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 06/02/21 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lawson has brought in a ton of promising players from the transfer portal to come play at Duke this upcoming season. She's just gonna bail on that?

pilight

PostPosted: 06/02/21 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Celtics aren't going to hire Becky Hammon. They're definitely not going to hire Kara Lawson.

PostPosted: 06/02/21 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
My guess: very few people would turn down a chance to make history. I hope Kara Lawson is chosen to be the coach of the Boston Celtics and I hope she takes the job. And does wonderfully!

Kara Lawson, with one year of coaching experience should never in a million years, be hired to coach one of the most storied programs in the history of pro sports. I understand the importance of women breaking glass ceilings, but this isn't it. This is just a ridiculous and irresponsible take.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 06/03/21 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Why in the world would they hire Lawson? She has virtually no coaching experience. One season as an NBA assistant and four whole games at Duke before the quit the season.

The Celtics hiring her would be even more bizarre than Duke doing so.

She was an assistant coach in Boston, my guess is he knows her has seen her with the guys, and knows the players already respect her.

Lawson is amazing at whatever she does, she’d do a good job.

But if they choose a woman, Hammon is the right choice.

PostPosted: 06/03/21 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The first woman head coach isn't going to be for a high profile team like the Celtics. It's gonna be some sad sack team like Orlando or Sacramento that has nothing to lose.

PostPosted: 06/03/21 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As a fan of the Boston Celtics since I fell in love with the sport, there's just no way that Kara Lawson should be their choice to take over for Brad Stevens.

The team is already getting enough questions about handing the GM duties to Stevens, they'd kind of be crucified if they handed the team off to someone with nearly no real coaching experience.

While the Celtics have made plenty of history with their coaching hires in the past, this would be the wrong move on their part.

If they were bound and determined to make history and hire the first woman head coach in the NBA, Becky Hammon has far more credibility as a candidate.

That said, I would be gobsmacked to see them hire anyone like that. If they don't go with a retread candidate, then it is going to be another out of left field male candidate.
tfan

PostPosted: 06/03/21 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"No resume" is the new "good resume". No resume can allow all kinds of possibilities to be imagined. Thank you Mark Jackson and Steve Kerr.

pilight

PostPosted: 06/23/21 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The Celtics aren't going to hire Becky Hammon. They're definitely not going to hire Kara Lawson.

The Celtics went with Nets assistant Ime Udoka. You might remember his sister, Mfon Udoka, playing in the W from 1998-2004.

PostPosted: 06/23/21 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As Pilight just mentioned, the Celtics have hired Ime Udoka. Here's a news link...

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/boston-celtics-to-hire-ime-udoka-brooklyn-nets-assistant-to-be-named-new-coach-per-report/

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: