RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

ASG
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 06/14/21 3:56 pm    ::: ASG Reply Reply with quote

July 14th , Back in vegas sucks bc its a Wednesday and i cannot take off again smh !

PostPosted: 06/14/21 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yup. I've got two co-workers who both booked that week months ago. No way I could get those days even if I did want to strap myself into a metal tube full of disease and go set myself on fire again. Not that I'm particularly thrilled about the concept of strapping myself into a metal tube full of disease for several hours and then proceeding to set myself on fire for at least two days. Last ASG the heat got me so bad I thought I was having genuine neurological issues. Nope. Not again. Vegas too hot for bebe.

PostPosted: 06/14/21 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's team USA versus All Stars.

for the sake of arguments, let's say Team USA is:

1. Stewart
2. Wilson
3. Charles
4. Griner
5. Fowles
6. Collier
7. Diggins-Smith
8. Lloyd
9. Bird
10. C. Gray
11. DT
12. Nneka (EDD if healthy)

Who makes All Star Team? Initial thoughts:

1. Jonquel Jones (CT)
2. Cambage (LV)
3. Parker (CHI)
4. Bonner (CT)
5. McCowan (IND)
6. Tiff Hayes (ATL)
7. Arike (DAL)
8. Laney (NYL)
9. Atkins (WAS)
10. C. Williams (ATL)
11. Vandersloot (CHI)
12. J Young/Ionescu/Mabrey

calbearman76

PostPosted: 06/14/21 11:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would definitely take Sabally over McCowan.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 06/15/21 9:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Team USA vs WNBA All stars may not be as competitive as a game , but i should have guessed it. They normally have the ASG set up that way when they do have one in Olympic Years. Does DT and Jonquel comeback to play or sit this one out ?

PostPosted: 06/15/21 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Team USA vs WNBA All stars may not be as competitive as a game , but i should have guessed it. They normally have the ASG set up that way when they do have one in Olympic Years. Does DT and Jonquel comeback to play or sit this one out ?

I went to the Team USA v. Select Team (the players who didn't make the Olympic squad) game before Rio games in 2016. Game was at Galen Center at USC. The Select Team damn near beat Team USA - Natasha Howard tore up the Olympians. It was a fun game to attend. This set up sounds similar.

I went to ASG in DC in 2002 -- Sue's rookie year. Great opportunities to meet players/autographs/merchandise, in spite of heat and humidity. I don't know if those sorts of opportunities exist at more recent ASG.

I keep waiting for the ASG to be in LA, but I guess the Sparks never submit bid/request. So few ASG have been in the west; I know this is second in LV, and Seattle had it a few years ago. Phoenix had one, maybe??

Anyone else have ASG experiences to share?

PUmatty

PostPosted: 06/15/21 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The ballot doesn't have McCowan listed as a Frontcourt player.

On it as always, WNBA.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 06/15/21 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bbsamjj wrote:
It's team USA versus All Stars.

for the sake of arguments, let's say Team USA is:

1. Stewart
2. Wilson
3. Charles
4. Griner
5. Fowles
6. Collier
7. Diggins-Smith
8. Lloyd
9. Bird
10. C. Gray
11. DT
12. Nneka (EDD if healthy)

Who makes All Star Team? Initial thoughts:

1. Jonquel Jones (CT)
2. Cambage (LV)
3. Parker (CHI)
4. Bonner (CT)
5. McCowan (IND)
6. Tiff Hayes (ATL)
7. Arike (DAL)
8. Laney (NYL)
9. Atkins (WAS)
10. C. Williams (ATL)
11. Vandersloot (CHI)
12. J Young/Ionescu/Mabrey

This looks pretty accurate to me.

If EDD unhealthy and McCoughtry injured I could see team USA go 6 posts and Collier. It makes us a little thin at SF but one of the high profile posts probably starts there (Stewart) with Collier and maybe even C. Gray who is close to 6 feet as the back up options. Gray is probably big enough to play SF on the International level except maybe against a couple of opponents. The National team would be a little thin on the perimeter (maybe they take Ogunbowale or Desields if healthy ahead of Charles or Nneka but in terms of talent, experience and loyalty I think Charles and Ogwumike are higher in the pecking order if it makes the team a little post heavy, and with Loyd, Diggins-Smith and Gray in their prime there are plenty of minutes behind Bird and DT.

Bird/Gray
DT/Diggins-Smith/Loyd
Stewart/Collier
Wilson/Charles/Ogwumike
Griner/Fowles

vs

Sloot/Ionescu
Ogunbowale/C. Williams
Bonner/Laney/Hayes
Parker/Sabally
Cambage/J. Jones

last spot McCowan or Atkins

I wouldn't sleep on the select team at first glance team USA looks very strong but there is a lot of talent on the select team I doubt Parker, Bonner, Cambage, Jones, Ogunbowale, Sloot, Laney, Hayes C. Williams, Sabally and Ionescu would just role over and they might have something to prove more than your usual just happy to be there vibe.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 06/15/21 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Speebs56 wrote:
...I keep waiting for the ASG to be in LA, but I guess the Sparks never submit bid/request. So few ASG have been in the west; I know this is second in LV, and Seattle had it a few years ago. Phoenix had one, maybe??...

Phoenix hosted the ASG twice, in 2000 and 2014.

San Antonio also hosted, in 2011.

I'm also surprised that Los Angeles has never hosted the ASG. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 06/15/21 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Yup. I've got two co-workers who both booked that week months ago. No way I could get those days even if I did want to strap myself into a metal tube full of disease and go set myself on fire again. Not that I'm particularly thrilled about the concept of strapping myself into a metal tube full of disease for several hours and then proceeding to set myself on fire for at least two days. Last ASG the heat got me so bad I thought I was having genuine neurological issues. Nope. Not again. Vegas too hot for bebe.

Las Vegas is rarely above 90 in July ... at 6am. And it's a dry heat. Very Happy Very Happy

Queenie

PostPosted: 06/15/21 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://gamenotesofdoom.blogspot.com/search/label/all-star

I loved the DC ones. They were set up well, we met lots of cool people, the Reb's get-together was lit, and being in the arena as Laurie Koehn went on a hot streak in the shooting contest was amazing.

Obviously, the New York ones have been the easiest to get to for me, but there really isn't enough room to set up a fan fest in Midtown, and given where Barclays is located, you'd have even less space.

The Connecticut ones felt... constrained?... in terms of the setup. Orlando had the best setup for the fan fest, and they were really leaning into the 5th anniversary stuff.

Seattle was a blast. Minnesota was fun. Vegas too hot for bebe.

Did not attend Phoenix or San Antonio games.

PostPosted: 06/30/21 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/31739294/chicago-sky-connecticut-sun-lead-team-wnba-all-star-selections-3-players-each

PostPosted: 06/30/21 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/31739294/chicago-sky-connecticut-sun-lead-team-wnba-all-star-selections-3-players-each

Quote:
In all, there are seven players on Team WNBA making their All-Star debuts. The player with the most All-Star experience on Team WNBA is Chicago forward/center Candace Parker, who will be making her sixth appearance. She's joined by Sky teammates Courtney Vandersloot, the point guard who leads the league in assists (third All-Star Game), and Kahleah Copper (first).

Forward/guard DeWanna Bonner (fourth appearance) and forwards Jonquel Jones (third) and Brionna Jones (first) will represent the Sun on the 12-player Team WNBA that was announced Wednesday.

The Las Vegas Aces have two players on Team WNBA: center Liz Cambage (fourth appearance) and forward Dearica Hamby (first). The Dallas Wings also have two players on the team, both first-timers: guard Arike Ogunbowale and forward Satou Sabally.

Rounding out Team WNBA are two other first-time All-Stars: New York guard/forward Betnijah Laney and Atlanta guard Courtney Williams.

PostPosted: 06/30/21 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happy for Satou !! YAY

PostPosted: 06/30/21 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sloot/C. Williams
Bonner/Ogunbowale/Copper
Parker/Laney
J. Jones/Hamby
Cambage/J. Jones/B. Jones

not the most balanced squad (you really have to play around with the positions to start the most experienced players and draw a team that looks even) but a lot of talent

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 06/30/21 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Sloot/C. Williams
Bonner/Ogunbowale/Copper
Parker/Laney
J. Jones/Hamby

not the most balanced squad (you really have to play around with the positions to start the most experienced players and draw a team that looks even) but a lot of talent

Do i think they can beat Team USA ? Hmmm maybe but im not 100 % sure

PostPosted: 06/30/21 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

Quote:
In all, there are seven players on Team WNBA making their All-Star debuts. The player with the most All-Star experience on Team WNBA is Chicago forward/center Candace Parker, who will be making her sixth appearance. She's joined by Sky teammates Courtney Vandersloot, the point guard who leads the league in assists (third All-Star Game), and Kahleah Copper (first).

Forward/guard DeWanna Bonner (fourth appearance) and forwards Jonquel Jones (third) and Brionna Jones (first) will represent the Sun on the 12-player Team WNBA that was announced Wednesday.

The Las Vegas Aces have two players on Team WNBA: center Liz Cambage (fourth appearance) and forward Dearica Hamby (first). The Dallas Wings also have two players on the team, both first-timers: guard Arike Ogunbowale and forward Satou Sabally.

Rounding out Team WNBA are two other first-time All-Stars: New York guard/forward Betnijah Laney and Atlanta guard Courtney Williams.

So beyond happy for brionna jones. i've been a fan since her Terp days, and am inspired by her work ethic.

i even have a bobblehead of jones from her senior season at maryland.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 06/30/21 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blue crabs & basketba wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Quote:

So beyond happy for brionna jones. i've been a fan since her Terp days, and am inspired by her work ethic.

i even have a bobblehead of jones from her senior season at maryland.

Yes im so proud of her growth , I for one was not a believer that she would stick but her progression with her body and her game has been very impressive.

PostPosted: 06/30/21 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
Sloot/C. Williams
Bonner/Ogunbowale/Copper
Parker/Laney
J. Jones/Hamby

Do i think they can beat Team USA ? Hmmm maybe but im not 100 % sure

Congrats to Betnijah Laney!!

Also, Jspoon you forgot Sabally!

It’s a tall lineup though:
Vandersloot 5’8/Williams 5’8
Bonner 6’4/Ogunbowale 5’8/Copper 6’1
Parker 6’4/Laney 6’0
Jones 6’6/Sabally 6’4/Hamby 6’3
Cambage 6’8/Jones 6’3

Milks26

PostPosted: 06/30/21 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to Sabally, Laney, Arike and Copper - earned Smile

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 06/30/21 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Sloot/C. Williams
Bonner/Ogunbowale/Copper
Parker/Laney
J. Jones/Hamby

Sorry my bad as you can see I originally had J. Jones on the bench but that made no sense IMO

Sloot/C. Will
Bonner/Ogunbowale/Copper
Parker/Laney
J. Jones/Sabally/Hamby
Cambage/B. Jones

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 06/30/21 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26 wrote:
Congrats to Sabally, Laney, Arike and Copper - earned Smile

+1 Such an exciting day !

PostPosted: 06/30/21 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the unlikely event all those players play, this will be by far the most talented opponent Team USA will face

PostPosted: 06/30/21 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I noticed it aloud on the other ASG thread, but since there's inexplicably still two threads, I'll repost it here. Razz

It’s basically Dream/Liberty/Sky/Sun/Wings players vs. Lynx/Mercury/Mystics/Storm players, which kind of makes things nice & neat for potential rooting purposes (although I as a Storm fan think I'm actually gonna be rooting for Team Other, just for shits & gigs Very Happy ). No representatives from the Sparks or the Fever this year.

Perhaps ironically, the only W team with players on both All-Star teams is the “host” team, the Aces, with two selections on each team.

jmvcity

PostPosted: 06/30/21 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm surprised no Ionescu.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: