Mercury
36%
 36%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 11

SCook

PostPosted: 06/13/21 7:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow. I just.....

PostPosted: 06/13/21 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Take any wins we can get right now. They’re gonna be hard to come by. But that was a strong, inspired effort.

PostPosted: 06/13/21 7:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Take any wins we can get right now. They’re gonna be hard to come by. But that was a strong, inspired effort.

It was a great win for New York despite all that was less than ideal in the second half. Notable for me: after that horrific start to the 3rd quarter, the Liberty didn't completely fall apart and managed to take a six-point lead by the end of the quarter.

For me, successful basketball so often comes down to winning games that either team could win. This was a perfect example. At the end, the Liberty made a few crucial plays. That's what it takes.

PostPosted: 06/13/21 7:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BG should've had more shot attempts but she did very very well tonight.

So many said this was an easy schedule for Phoenix and they are now 0-3 with 3 games against LA, who are a pretty good defensive team.

Kia and Walker...... I am just so disappointed. Is it the defense? Or are they just really struggling right now? I just don't even know.

PostPosted: 06/13/21 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SCook wrote:

So many said this was an easy schedule for Phoenix and they are now 0-3 with 3 games against LA, who are a pretty good defensive team.

Kia and Walker...... I am just so disappointed. Is it the defense? Or are they just really struggling right now? I just don't even know.

I just don’t understand it. I feel like we say this every game, but why not just play Sophie? She at least has been pretty good defensively. Maybe even Alanna should’ve gotten some time. I’ve never seen a coach casually let two starters be so bad on both ends and do nothing.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 06/13/21 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
For me, successful basketball so often comes down to winning games that either team could win. This was a perfect example. At the end, the Liberty made a few crucial plays. That's what it takes.

Wins like that are great for building confidence.

No excuses for Phoenix with SI not playing. That should have been a win. 2nd half energy was good but why was it absent in the 1st?
We are looking like an unfocussed team, and it's not enjoyable to watch.
Contrast that with NY, who were plenty messy themselves, but always working for each other.

PostPosted: 06/13/21 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

It was a great win for New York despite all that was less than ideal in the second half. Notable for me: after that horrific start to the 3rd quarter, the Liberty didn't completely fall apart and managed to take a six-point lead by the end of the quarter.

There were def some critical plays made by NY down the stretch. Also even as they struggled in the third, they didn’t turn the ball over much at all. Phoenix isn’t a ball pressure team but even so the Liberty were much smarter with the ball tonight.

They also capitalized on mismatches. Especially when BG switched off Gray onto Laney. They got the ball into Gray for 5 quick points. They read what was available to them extremely well.

PostPosted: 06/13/21 7:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
SCook wrote:

I just don’t understand it. I feel like we say this every game, but why not just play Sophie? She at least has been pretty good defensively. Maybe even Alanna should’ve gotten some time. I’ve never seen a coach casually let two starters be so bad on both ends and do nothing.

Two words: Fire Sandy!

PostPosted: 06/13/21 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
No excuses for Phoenix with SI not playing. That should have been a win. 2nd half energy was good but why was it absent in the 1st?
We are looking like an unfocussed team, and it's not enjoyable to watch.
Contrast that with NY, who were plenty messy themselves, but always working for each other.

I usually try to avoid comments on teams and players that I don't see much. This was the first time I'd watched the Sun this season. Diggins-Smith and Griner were great, as usual. But I felt like I was watching a group of strangers who'd just met on a schoolyard and formed a team for a pickup game. If there was any on-court connection between those players, I didn't see it.

PostPosted: 06/13/21 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've just glanced at the stats. New York had 10 turnovers... which wouldn't seem great but this team has so often been in the high teens this season.

Something I completely missed watching the game: Betnijah Laney had TEN assists. And Sami Whitcomb had six.

And while Britney Griner scored 29 points, New York got a shocking (at least to me!) EIGHTEEN points from the duo of Shook (ten) and Gray (eight).

PostPosted: 06/13/21 7:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Skylar trying to get her name changed to Karen with how frequently she is demanding to speak with the manager

That's a good one!😂

PostPosted: 06/13/21 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The game had me on edge. Was hoping for the Mercury would go on a run and take the lead. Laney was torching the Mercy!! She should definitely get MIP. Sandy has to make some changes with the lineup because people act like they are scared to shoot on this team.

Shades

PostPosted: 06/13/21 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shontay33 wrote:
Laney was torching the Mercy!! She should definitely get MIP.

Two years in a row? She’s up for MVP consideration if the Liberty can stay a winning team.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 06/13/21 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Watching the game in New York was really frustrating at times because the broadcasters for the Liberty telecast were (due to the pandemic) in New York.
There were a few one-shot fouls called, handled like technicals though it wasn't clear that they indeed WERE technicals. In any case, the Liberty broadcasters didn't know what was happening and seemingly had no way to find out. There should be a way that they call call or text someone at the game and ask.

PostPosted: 06/13/21 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shontay33 wrote:
The game had me on edge. Was hoping for the Mercury would go on a run and take the lead. Laney was torching the Mercy!! She should definitely get MIP. Sandy has to make some changes with the lineup because people act like they are scared to shoot on this team.

In fairness, some of them probably should be scared to shoot, because they aren't great shooters.

It wasn't all that long ago when this team was playing very nice, cohesive, positive basketball, including a playoff win despite the absence of BG & Hartley, and Turner & Vaughn were an effective front court. There's got to be some way of getting them going again while BG is back in the mix.

PostPosted: 06/13/21 9:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A couple of thoughts:

Even as an old lady, Diana Taurasi covers up a lot of problems. Reminds me of Catchings, even when she was on the downside of her career.

We shouldn't be sleeping on Laney as a legit MVP candidate.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 06/13/21 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
We shouldn't be sleeping on Laney as a legit MVP candidate.

Laney is in her SIXTH season. She did little for the first four. Then was the league's Most Improved Player in year #5. Now she's in the discussion for MVP. Whenever something like that happens in any professional sport, I find it quite fascinating.

PostPosted: 06/13/21 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What kind of team has Mercury put together? Bench scoring is non existent. I always thought that A. Smith & Cunningham had over stayed their welcome.

PostPosted: 06/14/21 12:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
shontay33 wrote:

In fairness, some of them probably should be scared to shoot, because they aren't great shooters.

It wasn't all that long ago when this team was playing very nice, cohesive, positive basketball, including a playoff win despite the absence of BG & Hartley, and Turner & Vaughn were an effective front court. There's got to be some way of getting them going again while BG is back in the mix.

They shouldn’t be afraid to shoot the basketball. There is no way that they don’t have another player in double figures in the starting 5 they have now. New York was leaving them wide open and they passed up open shots just to dribble and pass the ball.

Vaughn isn’t playing tho. Sandy pulled her out of the game. With or without DT and Hartley, it’s going to be a long season for the Mercury. Its looking like their off season trades are not working out. They need to make a decision to either start over with young players and let them develop or getting someone that can score at the wing position when DT is out( oops, that was DB but she is playing for the Sun).

shontay33

PostPosted: 06/14/21 12:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
shontay33 wrote:

They shouldn’t be afraid to shoot the basketball. There is no way that they don’t have another player in double figures in the starting 5 they have now. New York was leaving them wide open and they passed up open shots just to dribble and pass the ball.

Vaughn isn’t playing tho. Sandy pulled her out of the game. With or without DT and Hartley, it’s going to be a long season for the Mercury. Its looking like their off season trades are not working out. They need to make a decision to either start over with young players and let them develop or getting someone that can score at the wing position when DT is out( oops, that was DB but she is playing for the Sun).

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 06/14/21 12:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26 wrote:
What kind of team has Mercury put together?

A team that is very top-heavy, salary-wise.
$855k tied up in 4 players, 2 of whom aren't playing atm.

Milks26 wrote:
Bench scoring is non existent. I always thought that A. Smith & Cunningham had over stayed their welcome.

Their rookie scale salaries have not overstayed their welcome though.
(Well, had not ... up until a few weeks ago)

PostPosted: 06/14/21 1:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Regarding Diggins-Smith being "hit" in the gut... my own gut tells me she was completely faking it & selling it hard to the refs. Lo and behold, she got herself a free throw out of it. She's quite cunning & I don't trust her one bit lmao.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 06/14/21 6:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whitcomb swung her arm to clear space because Diggins grabbed her arm too. In that context, if what Diggins is doing is ok then what Sami did is more of a basketball play.

PostPosted: 06/14/21 6:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26 wrote:
Bench scoring is non existent. I always thought that A. Smith & Cunningham had over stayed their welcome.

Their rookie scale salaries have not overstayed their welcome though.
(Well, had not ... up until a few weeks ago)[/quote]

Exactly. Maybe they'll probably contribute more somewhere else

PostPosted: 06/14/21 8:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Seems like a pretty fair reason to whine in this case

It was a dive. Like, a blatant one. Like, Mery Andrade suddenly sat up bolt upright somewhere and yelled "You call that a dive?!" in righteous indignation, then flopped out of her chair.

Made me laugh ...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: