3X3?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ucbart

PostPosted: 06/07/21 11:12 am    ::: Re: 3X3? Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Randy wrote:
craigmont wrote:
Forgive me if this is too negative, but does anyone give a crap about this 3 on 3 tournament that's going on?

Me, I'd rather have these players with their WNBA teams. They are missed.

Maybe let college players or players not in the league do it.

That's how I feel about all international competitions - Olympics, World Champ, Eurobasket etc.

I have long thought we should just have a permanent Team USA for international competition - would give players an option other than overseas or the WNBA.

I did find the 3x3 games I watched enjoyable though -21 points, 10 minutes, 12 second clock doesn't give a lot of time for player whining at the ref and the silly crap that goes on in regular games.

I VERY much enjoyed watching the 3 x 3 qualifying games! Hope I'll be able to watch the Olympic games and get rhythmic gymnastics pushed down my throat again. I always think of trained seals when I'm watching it. Most of all: it's NOT NOT NOT a sport!!!

Tell that to all the young women who train their entire lives for their Olympic moment. Like, the Olympics are on 5 stations, just don't watch it. This is a surprising take from you, who very much stands for women's empowerment.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 06/07/21 11:45 am    ::: Re: 3X3? Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Tell that to all the young women who train their entire lives for their Olympic moment. Like, the Olympics are on 5 stations, just don't watch it. This is a surprising take from you, who very much stands for women's empowerment.

I actually co-sign @readyAIMfire53 to a point, even if I wouldn't go so far as to compare them to trained seals. I don't really think of events that are judged as sports. That doesn't mean that the competitors aren't athletes, because they absolutely are: Simone Biles may be, pound-for-pound, the greatest athlete who ever lived, but that doesn't mean that gymnastics is a sport. Divers are just as much elite athletes as swimmers are, but I can't take diving seriously as a sport, because the judging criteria, no matter how detailed they make it, still comes down to the judges' opinions.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
ClayK

PostPosted: 06/07/21 12:00 pm    ::: Re: 3X3? Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
ucbart wrote:

I actually co-sign @readyAIMfire53 to a point, even if I wouldn't go so far as to compare them to trained seals. I don't really think of events that are judged as sports. That doesn't mean that the competitors aren't athletes, because they absolutely are: Simone Biles may be, pound-for-pound, the greatest athlete who ever lived, but that doesn't mean that gymnastics is a sport. Divers are just as much elite athletes as swimmers are, but I can't take diving seriously as a sport, because the judging criteria, no matter how detailed they make it, still comes down to the judges' opinions.

I agree that judged sports are different, and to me, are in a different category than a sport like basketball or water polo.

Judgement by officials always plays a role, of course, but when the judges literally decide the score, it's a different kind of competition.

PostPosted: 06/07/21 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How about boxing? Judges decide the score unless there is a KO. Is it a sport?

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 06/07/21 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
How about boxing? Judges decide the score unless there is a KO. Is it a sport?

J feel like you answered your own question: if you knock the opponent out, then the judges' score doesn't factor into the decision. Sport.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Iluvacc

PostPosted: 06/07/21 2:05 pm    ::: Re: 3X3? Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
ucbart wrote:

Preach!

craigmont

PostPosted: 06/07/21 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I love the Olympics. I love the weird sports. I love rhythmic gymnastics. I love kayaking. Whatever's on, I'll watch.

And in another thread there was talk of "world" champions. The only "world" championship is the Olympics ...

I'm with you- I love the Olympics, Summer and Winter, precisely because of all the non stick-and-ball sports that we don't get to see every day.

awhom111

PostPosted: 06/13/21 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Force 10 wins the national championship this year by running through the college team gauntlet. That has the side effect of probably giving their players enough ranking points that they would be at least eligible to play in the Olympics if there is a roster vacancy.
Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/13/21 11:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
Force 10 wins the national championship this year by running through the college team gauntlet. That has the side effect of probably giving their players enough ranking points that they would be at least eligible to play in the Olympics if there is a roster vacancy.

Do all four players have to have a certain ranking level? I lost track of the rules once the pandemic hit and changed all the deadline dates.

Certainly going to limit their options if all four have to be high enough, given how much of a stretch it seemed to be to even get those four eligible.

PostPosted: 06/14/21 11:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
awhom111 wrote:

Do all four players have to have a certain ranking level? I lost track of the rules once the pandemic hit and changed all the deadline dates.

Certainly going to limit their options if all four have to be high enough, given how much of a stretch it seemed to be to even get those four eligible.

Two at least in the top 10 and the other two at least in the top 50. I lied as Harper and Huff are still not in the top 50 unless there are some tournament shenanigans in the next week before the deadline.

Plum and Gray are in the top 10 and most of the other names are recognizable. Christyn Williams is 1 followed by Aleah Goodman, Alarie, Onyenwere, Charli Collier, Ionescu, and Jackie Young is 9. Michelle Burns, who appears to be an NAIA player who happened to go to school in the same city where USA Basketball set up all those tournaments, seems to be benefiting from availability as a crash test dummy and the school's men team coach being the USA men's 3x3 coach, leading him to set up a bunch of tournaments at the school. KLS is 12 and Dolson is at 24. Clarendon at 17 and now Burdick are the other top 50 players in the WNBA, ironically now on the same team.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: