RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Dallas Wings 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 06/11/21 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Wings are moving to Dickies Arena next season.

Who? Where? Tf is that …. As a lifetime resident of Dallas I’ve Never heard of this place suburb city or nah ? Link me toad I trust your word !! *Sends text confirmation as well*

PostPosted: 06/11/21 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nvm Toad no link needed texts confirm and this link makes it make sense as well. Sad a NY fan can give us STH info before our local reps do https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dallasnews.com/sports/other-sports/2020/07/22/dallas-wings-owners-to-bring-national-lacrosse-league-to-d-fw/%3foutputType=amp

Sad part is it puts the team even
FURTHER away from the dallas metroplex smh..

PostPosted: 06/11/21 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Uh, there is absolutely nothing in that article about the Wings moving there. Just the lacrosse team playing there.

PostPosted: 06/11/21 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Uh, there is absolutely nothing in that article about the Wings moving there. Just the lacrosse team playing there.

Read Who
The owner is and understand why us Dallas citizens understand . It’s ok
If you do not though …I never stated this it was toad and from what information I’ve gathered it seems likely than not so it’s up to whom ever to believe whatever either way I’m hoping it falls through. They already play wayyy in Arlington Far far away land from the actual
city of Dallas and this pushes them deeper out closer to TCU & Fort Worth instead.

PostPosted: 06/12/21 8:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

I mentioned this idea about 6 months ago, but the more I think about it, I just don't see it happening!

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 06/12/21 8:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Who? Where? Tf is that …. As a lifetime resident of Dallas I’ve Never heard of this place suburb city or nah ? Link me toad I trust your word !! *Sends text confirmation as well*

Damn...where have you been hiding to have not known about this? I think you were having too much fun in Manhattan when you were up there 🤓

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 06/12/21 8:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Nvm Toad no link needed texts confirm and this link makes it make sense as well. Sad a NY fan can give us STH info before our local reps do https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dallasnews.com/sports/other-sports/2020/07/22/dallas-wings-owners-to-bring-national-lacrosse-league-to-d-fw/%3foutputType=amp

I just don't see it happening: The associated extra cost, the logistics, marketing (aka, name), etc.!

tfan

PostPosted: 06/12/21 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
This might have been mentioned, but Marina Mabrey looks much improved from college. I wouldn't have guessed she was even going to stick in the WNBA, let alone average 18.8 points a game (in 9 2021 games). In college I only remember three pointers and limited ball handling. But her ball handling seems much improved, as well as her passing. And the biggest surprise is her driving to the basket in the half court.

I forgot to mention that she is doing the "dribbling left,right,left,forward,back to shake defender" that you see nowadays. Curry in the NBA is the best example of it. It is most important around the 3-point line where just driving forward left or right to get open takes you into two-point territory. This YouTube channel Highlight Zone puts together highlights for WNBA and NCAA wbb players. Here is one for Mabrey:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gKRoCc4RRvw" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

tfan

PostPosted: 06/12/21 10:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

I just don't see it happening: The associated extra cost, the logistics, marketing (aka, name), etc.!

Names don't usually get changed if teams move out of the city they are named for as long as they are in the same metro area, or in this case, the same metroplex. Then again, Ft Worth, while being only the fifth largest city in Texas is the 12th largest city in the United States so it isn't a typical nearby move situation.

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 06/13/21 2:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Names don't usually get changed if teams move out of the city they are named for as long as they are in the same metro area, or in this case, the same metroplex. Then again, Ft Worth, while being only the fifth largest city in Texas is the 12th largest city in the United States so it isn't a typical nearby move situation.

Even thou they are both one in the same metro area, there is a distain for each other that most people outside of the area are unaware of, and it's one that has existed long before I ever moved here, so trust me when I tell you, as long as the name Dallas is on the front of the Wings jersey they will not be playing in Ft. Worth under any circumstances!

Tally24

PostPosted: 06/19/21 1:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/chanteljennings/status/1406098007037202435?s=21

Wing’s athletic trainer quit following their loss to the Lynx on Thursday. Apparently, they cancelled practice and media availability for Friday.
Milks26

PostPosted: 06/19/21 8:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LPQHgeFjS9g" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PostPosted: 06/21/21 6:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Charli Collier doesn't look tall enough to be "listed 6'5"" height to me. Was looking for her standing next to other players and found this with listed 6'4" Bella Alarie, although unfortunately they are not side by side.

But in looking for more at USA Basketball I found this with the
6'4" Alarie next to the 6'4" Ruthy Heberd who is next to the 6'3" Joyner Holmes:

[/url]

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 06/21/21 7:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for that photo. So, either Alarie is taller than 6'4" or Hebard is shorter than 6'4". Hmmm?🧐

Last edited by Rock Hard on 06/21/21 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 06/21/21 8:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Thanks for that photo. So, either Alarie is taller than 6'4" or Heberd is shorter than 6'4". Hmmm?🧐

Hebard is definitely shorter than 6'4

PostPosted: 06/21/21 8:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
Thanks for that photo. So, either Alarie is taller than 6'4" or Heberd is shorter than 6'4". Hmmm?🧐

Yeah, I've never believed that Hebard is 6-4 or that Collier is 6-5. Alarie is probably a legitimate 6-4, which in the basketball world makes her a "tall 6-4".

PostPosted: 06/21/21 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Program heights are aspirational ...

PostPosted: 06/22/21 12:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I once looked at NBA roster heights versus actual and recall 1 + fraction inches to be a typical inflation for someone with a fraction in their real height. For example, Blake Griffin was measured at 6'8.5" and is listed 6'10". I can't recall what someone with a non fractional height was typically inflated - probably was 1". The funny thing is players come to the combine with a listed height from college and then get their real height determined, but are still listed on the NBA roster at the inflated college height.

If I recall correctly, WNBA teams cannot meet with potential draft picks so are unable to determine in person an exact height of a college player. It seems like players such as Zahui B., Plum and Heberd get an extra inch or two added and I wonder if WNBA teams can see it. There are a few players like Candace Parker (and the tallest centers) who may not have any inches added.

But in the end the measurements that really count are not even estimated - vertical and horizontal reach.

root_thing

PostPosted: 06/22/21 6:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Laughing And if players work really hard, they can reach their goal.

tfan wrote:
I once looked at NBA roster heights versus actual and recall 1 + fraction inches to be a typical inflation for someone with a fraction in their real height. For example, Blake Griffin was measured at 6'8.5" and is listed 6'10". I can't recall what someone with a non fractional height was typically inflated - probably was 1".

Forget about athletes, I find that it's true for most ordinary people. I think the rule of thumb is to measure yourself in shoes and then round up any fractional amounts. Americans have a height fixation -- probably many cultures do. So, people are tempted to boost their height either to feel superior or to avoid feeling inferior. And of course, if everyone else is lying, then you need to lie just to keep up.

PostPosted: 06/22/21 6:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Laughing And if players work really hard, they can reach their goal.

tfan wrote:
I once looked at NBA roster heights versus actual and recall 1 + fraction inches to be a typical inflation for someone with a fraction in their real height. For example, Blake Griffin was measured at 6'8.5" and is listed 6'10". I can't recall what someone with a non fractional height was typically inflated - probably was 1".

Forget about athletes, I find that it's true for most ordinary people. I think the rule of thumb is to measure yourself in shoes and then round up any fractional amounts. Americans have a height fixation -- probably many cultures do. So, people are tempted to boost their height either to feel superior or to avoid feeling inferior. And of course, if everyone else is lying, then you need to lie just to keep up.

The truth will set you free.

PostPosted: 06/22/21 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

agree. and Collier is not 6'4" either.

I think 6'4" is the imagined optimal height for a post, so anybody from 6'2 (or maybe 6'1-1/5") and up call themselves 6'4". And I suspect some who may be taller than 6'4" don't want to be 'too' tall so list themselves at that optimal height as well. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them in back rows of group photos don't also stretch slightly up on their toes... or slouch a little, depending on what they want.

threadkiller1201

PostPosted: 06/22/21 7:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I remember Lauren Jackson after she retired admitted she was 6'6", not 6'5" like she was listed....

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 06/22/21 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
pilight wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

I think 6'4" is the imagined optimal height for a post, so anybody from 6'2 (or maybe 6'1-1/5") and up call themselves 6'4". And I suspect some who may be taller than 6'4" don't want to be 'too' tall so list themselves at that optimal height as well. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them in back rows of group photos don't also stretch slightly up on their toes... or slouch a little, depending on what they want.

Now I don't understand that logic. If you are a tall player why would you want to be listed as a shorter player? Now back in the 1990's a lot of male post players did not want to be listed as a seven foot tall player because they did not to have play against Shaq.😁

PostPosted: 06/22/21 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
myrtle wrote:
pilight wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

Now I don't understand that logic. If you are a tall player why would you want to be listed as a shorter player? Now back in the 1990's a lot of male post players did not want to be listed as a seven foot tall player because they did not to have play against Shaq.😁

female psychology. Rocky, you aren't expected to understand. For example, my niece was a post player in college and she always wanted to be listed at 1-1/2" shorter than she was because otherwise she'd be taller than her bf.

Shades

PostPosted: 06/30/21 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Perth Lynx sign Marina Mabrey
https://thewest.com.au/sport/basketball/perth-lynx-celebrate-after-signing-wnba-playmaker-marina-mabrey-as-an-import-for-the-upcoming-wnbl-season-c-3268373

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 20 of 23

Jump to: