RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Geno's Comments on the Transfer Portal
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
undersized_post

PostPosted: 05/26/21 3:52 pm    ::: Geno's Comments on the Transfer Portal Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/31515016/mess

Thought I'd post this here to see if anyone has any hot takes on it.

One quote that stuck out to me: "The transfer portal is great for, you know, a kid who knows where they're going, which means they were thinking about it a while back, who has a place ready for them, a spot ready for them."

The situation he describes sounds quite a bit like tampering, which is against the NCAA rules...

Another quote: "And, you know, every time that we're in this situation, I always ask the kid, 'What's wrong with you?' That's my first question. Whenever a kid wants to transfer, I say, 'What's wrong with you? You're at a great place, you're starting, you're playing a lot of minutes. You seem to be, you know, really successful. So there's got to be something wrong with you.' And then when they answer me, if I liked their answer, then I go forward. If I don't like their answer, then I say I'm not interested."

Seems to me like a smart question to ask. Makes me wish I could be a fly on the wall with discussion btw players and coaches. For example, what were his first conversations like with Evina Westbrook and Dorka Juhasz?

Say what you want about Geno, but his openness with his opinions gives us fanatics plenty to talk about Smile (You can say the same with Mulkey I suppose.)

snzuluz

PostPosted: 05/26/21 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you are a parent or athlete reading his comments about those wanting to transfer OUT of UConn, he comes across as NON EMPATHETIC or wanting to hear anything a athlete might say to him that he does NOT agree with (he even says that so I am not reading into what he said)...

Narcissistic response, but he has been this way ever since he got the job at UConn... and has become more cosmic in his comments over the years...sort of like a girlfriend who breaks up with you and you cannot accept their reasoning...

Geno, these are 18-22 young women who have not lived much life or have experience to "break up" with you/a coach...

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 05/26/21 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snzuluz wrote:
If you are a parent or athlete reading his comments about those wanting to transfer OUT of UConn, he comes across as NON EMPATHETIC or wanting to hear anything a athlete might say to him that he does NOT agree with (he even says that so I am not reading into what he said)...

Narcissistic response, but he has been this way ever since he got the job at UConn... and has become more cosmic in his comments over the years...sort of like a girlfriend who breaks up with you and you cannot accept their reasoning...

Geno, these are 18-22 young women who have not lived much life or have experience to "break up" with you/a coach...

I think Geno knows quite a bit about 18-22 year old women. How many years has he been coaching them?

Gamecock1

PostPosted: 05/27/21 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Geno is not going to point out the coaches that left kids stranded when they left for more money...then I don't want to hear his take on the transfer rules.

ClayK

PostPosted: 05/27/21 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gamecock1 wrote:
If Geno is not going to point out the coaches that left kids stranded when they left for more money...then I don't want to hear his take on the transfer rules.

I wonder if Geno calls up the coaches and says "What's wrong with you?"

And when one of his assistants leaves, does he ask them the same question?

I'm a Geno fan, but this is just dumb ...

PostPosted: 05/27/21 10:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I reread what he said....I think he was addressing what he thinks about when someone expresses interest in transferring IN to Conn......he wants to know why someone would leave a good school, where they are starters and doing well.....he wants to know why someone would ditch all that.....he makes perfect sense...

ClayK

PostPosted: 05/28/21 9:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

elsie wrote:
I reread what he said....I think he was addressing what he thinks about when someone expresses interest in transferring IN to Conn......he wants to know why someone would leave a good school, where they are starters and doing well.....he wants to know why someone would ditch all that.....he makes perfect sense...

That makes much more sense to me.

PostPosted: 05/28/21 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
elsie wrote:

Yeah, that's how I read that, too. But then, there's the question of who approaches whom first in the portal? I mean, if Geno finds an appealing player in the portal, and approaches HER, then it's a bit more weird to ask her "What's wrong with you?". Shocked

PostPosted: 05/29/21 6:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
elsie wrote:

I also think that if any other coach than Geno(or maybe Kim) had said this, it would've been read more carefully and these conclusions wouldn't have jumped to.

I read it exactly as he intended it, the first time.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 05/29/21 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's blindingly obvious that in the paragraph where Geno says he asks the player, "What's wrong with you," that he's talking about a potential incoming transfer.

Also, people have to stop taking Geno's words literally when he talks in abbreviated shorthand to the press. I'm sure that when he says he asks that question, what he really means is that he asks, "What's wrong with your current school situation that motivates to want to transfer here to UConn." If the player says she's not getting as many minutes as she deserves, Geno probably will not be interested in that "wrong". If, on the other hand, she describes some sort of personal animosity or hostile environment directed at her, such as Evina Westbrook may have described, that may be the type of "wrong" that Geno would sympathize with.
Davis4632

PostPosted: 05/29/21 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
ClayK wrote:
elsie wrote:

I also think that if any other coach than Geno(or maybe Kim) had said this, it would've been read more carefully and these conclusions wouldn't have jumped to.

I read it exactly as he intended it, the first time.

As usual, another topic that is reduced and seen through the prism of fandom and rooting interest.

What about the players that are in the portal because their coach didn't renew their scholarship because the coach wanted to make room for other players?
Who take the "blame" for those players being in the portal?

Howee

PostPosted: 05/29/21 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll repeat the question, as it seems most germane here: Who contacts WHOM first, or is there no set, one-way protocol? Are players in the portal able to approach a school/coach and inquire about playing for them, or does the coach approach first?

PostPosted: 05/30/21 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While I agree that the transfer portal is somewhat of a mess, I can't go along with Geno on his "a kid just up and leaving for no reason at all". Most or all of them have pretty good reasons for leaving, whether he, or their particular coach, thinks they are sufficient or not. Many of them feel that either they don't fit the program, the coach, or the particular school they're at. Sometimes the decision is made very early on. I can think of a player or two who realized by November of their freshman year that they were in the wrong place, either academically or athletically. Others stuck it out for a year or two and still weren't happy. For others, there may have been a particular event that caused them to want out. The quote sounds like Geno is just taking every transfer out personally.

PostPosted: 05/30/21 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
I'll repeat the question, as it seems most germane here: Who contacts WHOM first, or is there no set, one-way protocol? Are players in the portal able to approach a school/coach and inquire about playing for them, or does the coach approach first?

https://www.ncaa.org/static/champion/what-the-ncaa-transfer-portal-is/
GEF34

PostPosted: 05/30/21 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
While I agree that the transfer portal is somewhat of a mess, I can't go along with Geno on his "a kid just up and leaving for no reason at all". Most or all of them have pretty good reasons for leaving, whether he, or their particular coach, thinks they are sufficient or not. Many of them feel that either they don't fit the program, the coach, or the particular school they're at. Sometimes the decision is made very early on. I can think of a player or two who realized by November of their freshman year that they were in the wrong place, either academically or athletically. Others stuck it out for a year or two and still weren't happy. For others, there may have been a particular event that caused them to want out. The quote sounds like Geno is just taking every transfer out personally.

He’s obviously not talking about all the players in the portal as he says the portal can be good for the right reasons. But there is a also a reason there are a lot players (from what I understand) who have been in the portal for a long time and no contacted by a single school.

Howee

PostPosted: 05/30/21 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Howee wrote:

https://www.ncaa.org/static/champion/what-the-ncaa-transfer-portal-is/

Thank you, Glenn.

According to this....
Quote:
Student-athletes can provide an email address and a phone number where any interested coaches can contact them. Or student-athletes can decide not to provide contact information and reach out to the schools they are interested in attending.
....that door hinges either way.

Option 1 leaves the student athlete available for contact by anyone interested in them. Option 2 enables the student to focus on a school they want.

Next question: Might a student choosing option 2 have prior contact with any coach/staff/players from another team, to get a *feel* for what their chances are for a transfer of their choice, BEFORE they enter the portal? I could see a player, having been heavily recruited by a school they eventually did not choose, remaining in contact with their recruiters and deciding they'd like to head to that school after all. Just curious.

PostPosted: 05/30/21 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No, student athletes are not allowed to contact coaches from other teams directly unless they enter the portal. However, they can put out feelers through their AAU coach or friends. They may be in contact with someone who knows the scene, who can ask around, but this person may not have any affiliation with any NCAA program.

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 05/31/21 8:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

Glenn's words of advice, stated previously in the thread, perhaps apply:

"Also, people have to stop taking Geno's words literally when he talks in abbreviated shorthand to the press."

Howee

PostPosted: 05/31/21 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:
No, student athletes are not allowed to contact coaches from other teams directly unless they enter the portal. However, they can put out feelers through their AAU coach or friends. They may be in contact with someone who knows the scene, who can ask around, but this person may not have any affiliation with any NCAA program.

Thank you, Hoopsmom. Was the portal in action when Hannah made her transfer? Just curious....

Definitely seems, though a bit complicated to navigate, it's MUCH better than things usta be.

PostPosted: 06/01/21 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No, the portal started the next year. But since we saw the writing on the wall during her freshman year, I got back in contact with a local writer who covers the five state basketball scene, and had him make some inquiries, to see if there was interest. Since it was state tournament time, within 15 minutes he had a nice list of to me, so it gave her the confidence to make the move. Two of her teammates made the same decision, and filed transfer paperwork at the same time as her. Both her and my phone blew up immediately. She was talking to coach P from USD the first night, set up a visit and made her decision within 5 days of filing.

Gamecock1

PostPosted: 06/10/21 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Glenn's words of advice, stated previously in the thread, perhaps apply:

"Also, people have to stop taking Geno's words literally when he talks in abbreviated shorthand to the press."
You are interpreting his comments as "you" perceive them...so what's the difference in what you are doing and what others are doing ? How do you know he didn't "literally" mean exactly what he "literally" said ? That is the pot calling the kettle black to use an old term...lol....

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 06/14/21 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gamecock1 wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Glenn's words of advice, stated previously in thread, perhaps apply:

You are interpreting his comments as "you" perceive them...so what's the difference in what you are doing and what others are doing ? How do you know he didn't "literally" mean exactly what he "literally" said ? That is the pot calling the kettle black to use an old term...lol....

Could be, but my take is based upon nearly 30 years of listening to, reading about, and a couple of times, talking directly to, Geno.

Would you not agree my chances of reading him correctly are greater than those of an unabashed Geno hater and a, um, whatever you call yourself in regards to UConn/Geno? Laughing

Howee

PostPosted: 06/14/21 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:

Could be, but my take is based upon nearly 30 years of listening to, reading about, and a couple of times, talking directly to, Geno.

Wait....are you MRS. Geno?? Shocked

PostPosted: 06/14/21 9:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:

Ooh, good question! Wink Laughing

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
myrtle

PostPosted: 06/15/21 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Howee wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:

Ooh, good question! Wink Laughing

ROFL Laughing Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: