https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Kg5J7swcw8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04Erdl3iQfY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh5mfxHH04U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_oG8mCm1tU
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 11/16/20 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The WNBL now has a CBA
https://wnbl.basketball/blog/news/basketball-australia-and-wnbl-players-agree-to-first-ever-cba/

PostPosted: 11/17/20 2:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

COVID-19 strikes again Sad

Due to a recent outbreak in South Australia, there are now travel restrictions getting into Queensland (where the WNBL hub is) and they are being applied retrospectively by 2 weeks. So because the Adelaide Lightning only entered the state ~ 1 week ago they are now in quarantine, and the league is scrambling to sort it out.
Adelaide were due to play today. Today's other game is going ahead as scheduled.

PostPosted: 12/18/20 11:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm glad that awhom111 has been including the WNBL in the overseas updates thread because I've been struggling for free time lately.

The hub season came and went very quickly, and was a case of the haves vs the have-nots with a very big split between the top & bottom 4 teams

Regular Season Standings
Southside Flyers 11-2
Townsville Fire 9-4
Uni of Canberra Capitals 9-4
Melbourne Boomers 9-4
Sydney Uni Flames 5-8
Adelaide Lightning 5-8
Perth Lynx 4-9
Bendigo Spirit 0-13

Award Winners

MVP: Steph Talbot
(Top 5 votes: 73 Talbot, 67 Cambage, 65 Nicholson, 56 Magbegor, 52 Rocci)

All-WNBL 1st Team: Liz Cambage, Steph Talbot, Cayla George, Katie Ebzery, Lauren Nicholson
All-WNBL 2nd Team: Sara Blicavs, Shyla Heal, Tess Madgen, Maddy Rocci, Ezi Magbegor

DPOY: Steph Talbot
6th Woman of the Year: Zitina Aokuso
Youth Player of the Year: Shyla Heal
Coach of the Year: Shannon Seebohm (Townsville)

----------------------------

Townsville Fire's success has been one of the bigger talking points this season. Shannon Seebohm is an excellent coach, but not many would have picked them to finish above any of the "big 3" of Southside, Canberra & Melbourne.
Shyla Heal has been outstanding in her first season as a starter, and pretty much her first season as a point guard too (she played PG in aussie international teams but has been stuck as a bench SG in the WNBL until now). She hasn't done her WNBA draft prospects any harm at all with her play.
Plenty of other younger players have also had a chance to shine with more minutes available due to no imports this season, with Rocci, McKay, Melbourne and Sharp being some of the more impressive ones.

The playoffs started a few days ago and they've been worth watching.

PostPosted: 12/18/20 11:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I feel like Liz might not have been too happy about comfortably leading the league in scoring, on the team that finished two games clear at the top of the standings, and still losing MVP to Steph Talbot.

PostPosted: 12/18/20 11:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I feel like Liz might not have been too happy about comfortably leading the league in scoring, on the team that finished two games clear at the top of the standings, and still losing MVP to Steph Talbot.

The MVP voting system is kinda silly because it rewards players who have few good teammates. So I think it was pretty universally acknowledged around the league that Cambage had the more dominant season, and Lauren Nicholson arguably had a better season too - I wouldn't have argued if she had won MVP and/or DPOY ahead of Talbot.
So I'm not sure how bemused Liz will actually be about not winning.
She is certainly acting up as much as ever during games though. So that has been worth watching.

PostPosted: 12/18/20 11:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Semi Final
(3) Canberra 68 (Smart 15p, Rocci 14p 5r 7a, Griffin 12p 11r 3s, Tolo 10p 8r, Melbourne 10p)
(4) Melbourne 78 (Magbegor 20p 11r 4b, Garrick 15p 4a, Madgen 13p 9r 6a, Wright 13p, George 7p 13r 3b)
Boxscore

Awww... son of a .... the video I put on YouTube has been blocked.
Use the FIBA links in the post below. Thanks awhom111.

Last edited by Luuuc on 12/19/20 1:31 am; edited 1 time in total
awhom111

PostPosted: 12/19/20 12:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The video of the game is here for those outside Australia:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30sTFIplUAk

The other Wednesday game is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md6h_APAwiI

It looks like today's game is not ready for replay viewing yet.

Here is the link for the final game less than 24 hours from now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N3TuidGaFU
root_thing

PostPosted: 12/19/20 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

The MVP voting system is kinda silly because it rewards players who have few good teammates. So I think it was pretty universally acknowledged around the league that Cambage had the more dominant season, and Lauren Nicholson arguably had a better season too - I wouldn't have argued if she had won MVP and/or DPOY ahead of Talbot.
So I'm not sure how bemused Liz will actually be about not winning.
She is certainly acting up as much as ever during games though. So that has been worth watching.

Are they still using that 3 stars of the game point system? If you’re the best performer in a game where no one was outstanding, you’re still given the same number of points as someone who was dominant in another game. Also, you don’t get penalized for having stinkers. You're just a non-star in those games. So, 4-20 shooting nights are treated like they didn’t happen. Kia Nurse won MVP last year despite being very up and down. The “up’s” got her MVP points, while the bad games didn’t factor in. So, being dominant and/or consistent isn’t necessarily rewarded.

Edit: OK, I just looked up the voting system, and it's not simply star 1, 2, and 3. There is also a variable number of points that can be awarded. So, that does somewhat take into account how dominant the performance was. However, it still doesn't punish people for bad games.

The system does have its positives. Instead of a bunch of people sitting around at the end of the season looking at compiled stats, augmented by a few fading memories of the past season, this system allows people who just participated in the game to vote immediately after the event. These voters (both coaches and the lead referee) should be in the best position to decide who had the most impact on the game. The process is also more likely to reward performance that is not statistically measured. For instance, if someone plays lockdown defense but does not get a lot of steals or blocks, that will not show up in statistics. However, the coaches will certainly remember after the game, and that player might get recognized. Similarly, big plays at key moments greatly impact the game but are not necessarily reflected in stats. If a player only scores in single digits, but she hits the game-tying and game-winning shots, that person is more important than her final stat-line indicates. So, this system, which emphasizes impact on a game-to-game basis, does make some sense. It's just not what we're used to.

PostPosted: 12/20/20 12:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Boo, no Bianca Dufelmeier on the Grand Final. Every time she says Nadeen Payne, it confuses me greatly because it sounds like she's just saying DP and then I wonder why Townsville's development players don't get to use their names until I figure out who she is talking about.
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 12/20/20 2:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Going on the WNBL website, roughly half of the team's stats don't seem to be available. Anyone know of another resource for this?

awhom111

PostPosted: 01/23/21 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks like we have our first double-dip as Mikaela Ruef signed with Charnay in France.
awhom111

PostPosted: 06/03/21 12:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Clearly Shyla Heal needs to make it go full circle and sign with Hobart for the rest of the season. Of course, if Victoria's increase in cases does not stop, I guess they will have to find a new league for Hobart, Launceston/NW Thunder, and Mt. Gambier to play in for a few months.

I wonder if she was getting the vaccine in the United States and got both shots. I am assuming she would be allowed to stay longer if she was still waiting. I wonder if people like Laksa got their vaccine in training camp if it was not available at home yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: