100%
 100%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 5

Skyfan22

PostPosted: 05/30/21 12:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
SDHoops wrote:
Notre Dame Pt. II needs a new coach! Or trade Arike to a team that will put her talents to use!

what exactly are you wanting from her? She did get 25 shots up. You want 50? And her % aren't nearly as good as Mabrey.

This team is weak at PG and at C. The inbetween spots are quite ok.

Thanks Myrtle couldn’t have said it better.

And oh my God, they’ve been horrible at center and point for too long. How many 1st round picks and trades does it take to get a point and center? F this ish. Slide Mabrey to point as that’s where she’s gonna be when gray arrives. Then get used to filling in the other 3 places with the spare parts until gray takes the 3, Sabally the 4 and one of the others shows a glimmer of hope at 5.

Glad to have had too much ish going on to go to this game This weekend.

IMO, Mariah and Ty can both go to the rubbage pile.

Milks26

PostPosted: 05/30/21 12:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Enjoyable game which was beyond winnable. The team maybe be weak at the PG spot but, Coach just needs to start Harris. Going 4+ mins without a field goal is not going to cut it.

Starting 5 for June 1st: Harris, Ogunbowale, Sabally, Gray and Harrison or Collier (with limited mins). But, I know that's not going to happen.

Only 4 turnovers but 30 rebounds to 44. Why was the #1 pick brought in again?

Who's leaving?

PostPosted: 05/30/21 8:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
SDHoops wrote:
Notre Dame Pt. II needs a new coach! Or trade Arike to a team that will put her talents to use!

what exactly are you wanting from her? She did get 25 shots up. You want 50? And her % aren't nearly as good as Mabrey.

And oh my God, they’ve been horrible at center and point for too long. How many 1st round picks and trades does it take to get a point and center? F this ish. Slide Mabrey to point as that’s where she’s gonna be when gray arrives. Then get used to filling in the other 3 places with the spare parts until gray takes the 3, Sabally the 4 and one of the others shows a glimmer of hope at 5.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/30/21 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skyfan22 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
SDHoops wrote:

+1 Mabrey should be the starting PG.

PostPosted: 05/30/21 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Harris gets put into the rubbage pile (not going to happen), Reeve should definitely pluck her out. But Reeve hasn’t done anything right this season so why should she start now?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
RavenDog

PostPosted: 05/30/21 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rebounding is a problem but the biggest problem for Dallas is not sharing the ball. Only 14 assists.

The best Dallas offensive player is Arike but she's horrible on defense and takes way too many inappropriate shots. 2 assists in 34+ minutes. Her counter opponent scored over 20 points and had way more assists. Arike had 0 personal fouls.

You cannot consistently win if you don't play team ball. Vickie needs to control this team and control Arike. Arike is Dallas's biggest strength but she also is their biggest weakness, along with the front court. As we said for a year, Collier came out too early and did not learn all the basics she needs. It's hard to play on primarily your own ability. She has a lot to learn.

Arike is sensational at offense and fun to watch but she must be controlled, learn to share the ball and learn how to play defense for Dallas to consistently win. It's not college ball anymore.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 05/30/21 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Could you imagine if Griner played like this for 3/4ths of the season?

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/30/21 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:

Arike is sensational at offense and fun to watch but she must be controlled, learn to share the ball and learn how to play defense for Dallas to consistently win. It's not college ball anymore.

agree. she could be so much better if she learned how to share the ball when it's appropriate to do that...meaning her shot selection could be way, way better.

Milks26

PostPosted: 05/30/21 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
If Harris gets put into the rubbage pile (not going to happen),

Nope!

RavenDog wrote:
Rebounding is a problem but the biggest problem for Dallas is not sharing the ball. Only 14 assists.

The best Dallas offensive player is Arike but she's horrible on defense and takes way too many inappropriate shots. 2 assists in 34+ minutes. Her counter opponent scored over 20 points and had way more assists. Arike had 0 personal fouls.

You cannot consistently win if you don't play team ball. Vickie needs to control this team and control Arike. Arike is Dallas's biggest strength but she also is their biggest weakness, along with the front court. As we said for a year, Collier came out too early and did not learn all the basics she needs. It's hard to play on primarily your own ability. She has a lot to learn.

So far she's doing the same thing that Agler did - just give it to Arike to hopefully make a shot but, more that likely she'll screw it up.

It goes beyond Arike. I saw Dungee open on the 3pt line so many times but Harris wanted to get hers and prove she belong in the starting line up hence she did not pass. All this just highlights their youth - the me, me factor is high.

VJ needs to put her foot down across the board. They're losing winnable games - they have yet to be blown out in a game and I seriously doubt that will happen this season - but only team ball and team defense win games.

Last edited by Milks26 on 05/31/21 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total
SCook

PostPosted: 05/31/21 8:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:

I mean.... Did she not play close to this in 2017, 2018 and even 2019.

I'll admit, she's evolved and her game is looking more and more complete. I mean... rebounding is yalls most important stat when it comes to her.

But I'm more worried about what happens when Diana returns. What is Sandy's game plan because before that injury, BG was arguably the 3rd/4th offensive option and that was a foolish decision.

However, I'll enjoy the now and keep watching the big girl in her bag.

PostPosted: 05/31/21 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She did play like that those years. My fear, as one of her biggest fans, was how her 3020 bubble play and early 2021 play wasn't so great. I argued previously I think this team is going to play better with Diana out for a while. You're right though, it will be a toss up once she comes back due to the coaching. I just miss the days when Diana and BG played seamlessly together.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 05/31/21 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
SDHoops wrote:

Arike in desperate need of drills in which she cannot shoot the ball. Pass the damn rock.

~rAf
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 05/31/21 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
SDHoops wrote:

Arike in desperate need of drills in which she cannot shoot the ball. Pass the damn rock.

She is option 1 thru 5.

PostPosted: 05/31/21 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
SDHoops wrote:

She is option 1 thru 5.

at least in her own mind....But I have to say it can be very disheartening to pass the ball and have teammates miss bunnies.

GEF34

PostPosted: 05/31/21 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SCook wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

I'll admit, she's evolved and her game is looking more and more complete. I mean... rebounding is yalls most important stat when it comes to her.

But I'm more worried about what happens when Diana returns. What is Sandy's game plan because before that injury, BG was arguably the 3rd/4th offensive option and that was a foolish decision.

In another thread someone mentioned Brittney Griner basically said she wouldn’t play for another coach. Maybe one reason is she doesn’t want to be the focal point and Sandy understands that and doesn’t make her be it. I have no inside knowledge into Brittney or the Phoenix Mercury, but whatever Sandy is doing or not doing seems to make Brittney happy, and somewhat content as a person and player to say she won’t play for another coach. What you can a “foolish” decision may be the decision Sandy has to make to keep Brittney playing for the Mercury.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 05/31/21 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
SCook wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

In another thread someone mentioned Brittney Griner basically said she wouldn’t play for another coach. Maybe one reason is she doesn’t want to be the focal point and Sandy understands that and doesn’t make her be it. I have no inside knowledge into Brittney or the Phoenix Mercury, but whatever Sandy is doing or not doing seems to make Brittney happy, and somewhat content as a person and player to say she won’t play for another coach. What you can a “foolish” decision may be the decision Sandy has to make to keep Brittney playing for the Mercury.

That is a very interesting and very plausible take.

I'd love to see BG and SDS develop the chemistry that she and DT had in 2014-2018.

SCook

PostPosted: 05/31/21 11:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
She did play like that those years. My fear, as one of her biggest fans, was how her 3020 bubble play and early 2021 play wasn't so great. I argued previously I think this team is going to play better with Diana out for a while. You're right though, it will be a toss up once she comes back due to the coaching. I just miss the days when Diana and BG played seamlessly together.

Considering her numbers in 2020, with an injured knee and a lack of focus, she was actually not too bad. Who knew she was playing seasons on a knee that wasn't healthy? I'm happy she took the time off.

I believe the issue is that Phoenix operates from the past mindset that it's Diana and then everyone else, which has sailed. I don't care if she plays until she's 50, at some point she has to take a step back. If anything, she should be more of a facilitator now but they aren't even thinking about that.

Diana can be Diana but the offense should run through BG and Sandy has to get everyone else to step up. You shouldn't be playing the starters 40 minutes a game, what legs will they have?

PostPosted: 06/01/21 12:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
SCook wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing I guess. How long ago did BG say this about Sandy? Also, before she left the wubble and they had success, she was the first option and was moving into that since 2017. I don't care if she didn't want to be the focal point of the offense, she's not the coach and any coach that caters that heavily to a player's wants over the teams success needs to be fired.

My thought still stands. Foolish decision to have BG as anything other than the 1st option.

PostPosted: 06/01/21 1:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SCook wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
SCook wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing I guess. How long ago did BG say this about Sandy? Also, before she left the wubble and they had success, she was the first option and was moving into that since 2017. I don't care if she didn't want to be the focal point of the offense, she's not the coach and any coach that caters that heavily to a player's wants over the teams success needs to be fired.

My thought still stands. Foolish decision to have BG as anything other than the 1st option.

I don’t know when she said that, I didn’t even know she said that till I read it in the thread the other day. But if it is true, and you know (the organization) knows this and you know she has no problem leaving when she is not happy, you have no one to blame but yourself if as soon as you fire Sandy, Brittney follows her out the door.

SCook

PostPosted: 06/01/21 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
SCook wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
SCook wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

I don’t know when she said that, I didn’t even know she said that till I read it in the thread the other day. But if it is true, and you know (the organization) knows this and you know she has no problem leaving when she is not happy, you have no one to blame but yourself if as soon as you fire Sandy, Brittney follows her out the door.

I went back and did some digging. I didn't find anything that was specifically geared toward just Sandy but I did find the video from the 2019 incident between BG and Anigwe. BG told Holly Rowe that she plays in the WNBA because she loves Phoenix, Jim Pitman, Sandy, DB and Diana, plus how they support her community outreach and activists work.

People said that Corey and Diana had a good relationship and that she wanted him to stay but when it was time for him to go, it was time for him to go. Jim Pitman's job is to ensure that that's understood. Also, BG has said that she only wants to play for Phoenix so the coaching change wouldn't be that big a deal, in my opinion.

PostPosted: 06/01/21 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SCook wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
SCook wrote:

I went back and did some digging. I didn't find anything that was specifically geared toward just Sandy but I did find the video from the 2019 incident between BG and Anigwe. BG told Holly Rowe that she plays in the WNBA because she loves Phoenix, Jim Pitman, Sandy, DB and Diana, plus how they support her community outreach and activists work.

People said that Corey and Diana had a good relationship and that she wanted him to stay but when it was time for him to go, it was time for him to go. Jim Pitman's job is to ensure that that's understood. Also, BG has said that she only wants to play for Phoenix so the coaching change wouldn't be that big a deal, in my opinion.

Based on what you write I don’t see how anyone would get the idea Brittney said “no Sandy no me”, so perhaps there is something else she said or it was in another interview or maybe it just a misinterpretation of what she said.

But with that said you say it would be “foolish” to make her anything but the #1 option and a coach shouldn’t cater to a players wants over the team, but if she is willing to leave the team if she is unhappy (which she has already shown she has no problem doing just that). Where is the fine line of appeasing her to keeping her on the team and risking her leaving the team all together and retiring from the WNBA.

For the record I don’t fault Brittney for leaving the bubble or doing what is best for her, good for her to make the tough decisions, but that is something the front office needs to consider if you are going to make moves that may not make her happy or go against her wishes.

SCook

PostPosted: 06/01/21 11:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
SCook wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
SCook wrote:

Based on what you write I don’t see how anyone would get the idea Brittney said “no Sandy no me”, so perhaps there is something else she said or it was in another interview or maybe it just a misinterpretation of what she said.

But with that said you say it would be “foolish” to make her anything but the #1 option and a coach shouldn’t cater to a players wants over the team, but if she is willing to leave the team if she is unhappy (which she has already shown she has no problem doing just that). Where is the fine line of appeasing her to keeping her on the team and risking her leaving the team all together and retiring from the WNBA.

For the record I don’t fault Brittney for leaving the bubble or doing what is best for her, good for her to make the tough decisions, but that is something the front office needs to consider if you are going to make moves that may not make her happy or go against her wishes.

Very much misinterpretation. BG has really only reiterated that she wants to play for Phoenix her whole career and she jokingly said that Diana and her would retire together. I've never heard BG EVER imply that Sandy had to be the coach her entire career.

Why would the front office need to consider her taking time off for physical rehab and mental health? Am I missing something? She left the wubble because she viewed herself as a detriment to the team and her body wasn't 100% so...... again where does that correlate to her being unhappy with anything involving the team?

I mean.... a lot of the Phoenix fans ran with the stories that were posted and have turned their backs on her but BG still says, "I love Phoenix. I love the X-factor etc. etc." So, I'll say that the front office has nothing to worry about.

Where did this notion come from that they needed to make sure she was happy or she'd walk? BG was never the one that I heard was prone to giving those forms of ultimatums.

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: