Fever
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Aces
93%
 93%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 15

Shades

PostPosted: 05/27/21 4:27 pm    ::: Fever @ Aces - 5/28/21 Reply Reply with quote

Las Vegas, NV - 10:30 PM ET
TV: MYLVTV

Video stream:
https://twitter.com/WNBA/
https://twitter.com/wnba/status/1398466346082504706?s=21
https://fever.wnba.com/ (Indiana, Ohio and Kentucky)

League Pass:
https://leaguepass.wnba.com/game/fever-at-aces-on-05282021

Game page:
https://www.wnba.com/game/20210528/INDLVA/

ESPN Gamecast:
https://www.espn.com/wnba/game/_/gameId/401320596

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 05/28/21 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 05/28/21 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How do I find the video stream on Twitter?

Shades

PostPosted: 05/28/21 9:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:

I posted the url above. They pin the game tweet on top of the page.

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/28/21 10:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I usually like Christy Winters Scott but this is just too boring for me.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 05/28/21 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

I posted the url above. They pin the game tweet on top of the page.

I eventually figured it out. Thanks.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/28/21 10:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Do the WNBA not award an assist when a pass directly leads to a shooting foul & made free throw(s)? Because that should have been Gray's 10th assist.

PostPosted: 05/28/21 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Do the WNBA not award an assist when a pass directly leads to a shooting foul & made free throw(s)?

Is that a FIBA rule? I've never heard of such a thing.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 05/28/21 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aces looking mad lackadaisical right now.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/28/21 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Do the WNBA not award an assist when a pass directly leads to a shooting foul & made free throw(s)?

Is that a FIBA rule? I've never heard of such a thing.

Definitely a FIBA thing.
Really needs to be a WNBA thing too. Considering how generously they already hand out assists, denying obvious ones like this type seems unfair.
(an example of what I'm talking about was with 5:26 left in this 2nd quarter. Gray finds Hamby right under the hoop, she lays it up immediately, but is fouled from behind so she misses the shot, but then makes the free throws. 2 points delivered on a platter by Gray, but no assist)

PostPosted: 05/28/21 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Definitely a FIBA thing.
Really needs to be a WNBA thing too. Considering how generously they already hand out assists, denying obvious ones like this type seems unfair.
(an example of what I'm talking about was with 5:26 left in this 2nd quarter. Gray finds Hamby right under the hoop, she lays it up immediately, but is fouled from behind so she misses the shot, but then makes the free throws. 2 points delivered on a platter by Gray, but no assist)

Yeah, no. I don't like that.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 05/28/21 11:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanley left Breland on the floor long enough to foul out of a 40-point game.

Tamika Catchings is rolling over in her grave.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/28/21 11:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Franchise record score for the Aces.

Because I'm immature I'm just gonna leave this nice stat line here

PostPosted: 05/29/21 8:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bpEsV7U5cWM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Seems like Stanley gets a little more uncomfortable with each press conference.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 05/29/21 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Definitely a FIBA thing.

I'll disagree that an assist should be given on a pass that leads to free throws but no field goal.

What if she had made only one of the free throws? Would you give .5 of an assist?? And what if the fg is made, do you also give an assist (or .5) for a made and 1?

In the scenario above, you are assuming that because of the type of shot being attempted, the FG would have been made but for the foul. What do you do on a wild-ass attempt from 30' when the shot clock is about to go off? Assume that the player would have made the shot, award 3 free throws, and assist when the fg attempt didn't go in? Would the player that passed the ball then have a possibility of getting 1.5 assists on the play?

Who gets to determine that the FG would have been made if not for the foul and award the assist for the free throws? We've all seen many gimmes missed, so I don't know who could determine that a fg attempt would have been made. I can just see a stats person sitting there thinking, "Well, I like player X so I'm going to say that that shot by player Y would have gone in if not for the foul, so I'm going to give player X an assist." Later in the same game when it's player Z who the stats person doesn't like so much makes the same pass, doesn't get the assist.

In order for stats to be accurate, and therefore fair (yearend awards and bonuses are often based on stats, not to mention HOF votes and team lore), you need a black and white rule for what is and what isn't. No "but, what ifs" should ever enter into stats.

Speaking of stats and assists. Often it isn't the last pass prior to the basket that is what led to the basket even being possible. How many times have you seen a player make a beautiful pass to a second player and the second player gives up the easy attempt at a shot to pass to a third player who has an even better attempt at the shot?

I say if you want to change anything with stat assists, go with the hockey last two-passes = an assist way of doing things.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
ClayK

PostPosted: 05/29/21 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The WNBA is the highest level of women's basketball ...

It is inexcusable, even for the worst team in the league, to have five more turnovers than assists.

PostPosted: 05/29/21 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
The WNBA is the highest level of women's basketball ...

It is inexcusable, even for the worst team in the league, to have five more turnovers than assists.

As we all saw during during the draft, this team made their own bed on a downward slope full of gravel and burrs. When you're camping, you can pick up and move as soon as you lie down and realize your foolhardy mistake. It ain't so easy in a professional sports league.

Catch was a Hall of Fame player. She's the opposite as GM. This team is horrifying to watch. WAY worse that watching the Libs last season because you knew who wasn't on the floor but would be the next season. Some players are decent but can't play to their potential with this sorry assortment. Only a complete blow up this off season will save this franchise.

~rAf
pilight

PostPosted: 05/29/21 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Catchings is to blame to the extent that she hired Stanley to be the coach. The talent is there to be better than they are.

#NATC

PostPosted: 05/29/21 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Definitely a FIBA thing.

I'll disagree that an assist should be given on a pass that leads to free throws but no field goal.

What if she had made only one of the free throws? Would you give .5 of an assist??

No. You'd give 1 assist. Do you give 1.5 assists for a 3 point basket??

Ex-Ref wrote:
And what if the fg is made, do you also give an assist (or .5) for a made and 1?

??? If the FG is made an assist is already awarded.

Ex-Ref wrote:
In the scenario above, you are assuming that because of the type of shot being attempted, the FG would have been made but for the foul.

I'm not assuming anything. I'm seeing points being added to the score sheet, from a player who just received a pass. There is no assumption about any of it.

Ex-Ref wrote:
What do you do on a wild-ass attempt from 30' when the shot clock is about to go off? Assume that the player would have made the shot, award 3 free throws, and assist when the fg attempt didn't go in? Would the player that passed the ball then have a possibility of getting 1.5 assists on the play?

It doesn't get much more disingenuous than this, or do you just not understand the concept of what I'm saying (and what FIBA actually does)? It's really not the complicated mind games that you seem to be portraying.

Ex-Ref wrote:
Who gets to determine that the FG would have been made if not for the foul and award the assist for the free throws?

Who needs to "determine" anything additional under the FIBA system? The judgement element involved remains identical to what happens currently. And in most real-world scenarios of it, the amount of judgement required is less.

To me, the whole point of an assist is to give some recognition to the passer who helped create a score. That is the why I think the current interpretation is often too generous (i.e. the pass had very little direct impact on whether the basket was scored), and at the same time also strangely denies assists from some of the very best passes - the ones that generate such good looks for the shooter that opponents choose to foul rather than allow the shot.
If the system is geared towards being too generous then that is ok as long as it is consistent. But then it inconsistently ignores many of the best passes.

I'm good with people having their own preferences on it. As long as they actually understand the argument.

Last edited by Luuuc on 05/29/21 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Milks26

PostPosted: 05/29/21 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Catchings is to blame to the extent that she hired Stanley to be the coach. The talent is there to be better than they are.

Pokey would've had the team looking this bad.

PostPosted: 05/29/21 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whatever. You don't want to understand because you don't agree.

You want to change the definition of an assist. I don't like the idea.

An assist leads to a made FG. Not a FT. It's really pretty simple.

FIBA doesn't rule the world of bball, thankfully. Next, they'll be giving assists for the rebound that led to the pass that led to a missed FG. Doesn't make it legit.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: