40%
 40%  [ 4 ]
Fever
60%
 60%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 10

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 05/16/21 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Liberty look like they’re going to be a great defensive team this year. This is pretty impressive even if it was against Indiana without Howard and Kiah.

PostPosted: 05/16/21 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
lynxmania wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
so he brought in J.Jones as backup PG instead of Clarendon...

wondering who they will waive when Stokes and Howard arrive.

Clarendon slows them down IMO . She dribbles more than Lindsay Harding , I would have kept Paris Kea instead. Younger and cheaper .....

How many injured or unavailable players do you want the Liberty to have? lmao

LOL. Yea, great plan: to keep out-for-the-season Paris Kea instead of Layshia Clarendon.

Did not
Know she was Out for the season oof

PostPosted: 05/16/21 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
The Liberty look like they’re going to be a great defensive team this year. This is pretty impressive even if it was against Indiana without Howard and Kiah.

The change on the boards from Friday night is really a tribute to Walt Hopkins, the coaching staff, and the Liberty players.

PostPosted: 05/16/21 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to the Liberty on reaching their win total of last year! Big things ahead!

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/16/21 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
Congrats to the Liberty on reaching their win total of last year! Big things ahead!

Thanks! Very exciting as a Liberty fan to ponder this season and beyond. Especially after two terrible seasons under Katie Smith and last year's Wubble disaster.

PostPosted: 05/16/21 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
lynxmania wrote:

Thanks! Very exciting as a Liberty fan to ponder this season and beyond. Especially after two terrible seasons under Katie Smith and last year's Wubble disaster.

I always have piece of my fan self go where our former coaches/players go to - so Walt and Shelley have made me a slight bigger Liberty fan than I was (because I want them to do well). So I am happy that so far, so good.

Barclays will be an exciting place this season and into the future with this group.

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/16/21 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Walt Hopkins Pregame comments:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QuoxvP3D23g" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Around the 4:55 mark, Myles Ehrlich asks about Indiana's dominance on the boards Friday night. Hopkins claims that all game long, McCowan was displacing Liberty defenders as they were boxing out. Walt said that he checked with the head of referees last year to see if this was legal and she said no. "This is a little known fact." So, for today's game, he was going to talk to the referees at the start to remind them of the rule. "That's one reason why we're comfortable doing what we're doing because we're playing by the rules.... that's an adjustment I think we're going to see if they're willing to make, if they're willing to follow the rules." So, with a big grin, Walt dares the referees to follow the rules. Laughing

PostPosted: 05/16/21 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Around the 4:55 mark, Myles Ehrlich asks about Indiana's dominance on the boards Friday night. Hopkins claims that all game long, McCowan was displacing Liberty defenders as they were boxing out. Walt said that he checked with the head of referees last year to see if this was legal and she said no. "This is a little known fact." So, for today's game, he was going to talk to the referees at the start to remind them of the rule. "That's one reason why we're comfortable doing what we're doing because we're playing by the rules.... that's an adjustment I think we're going to see if they're willing to make, if they're willing to follow the rules." So, with a big grin, Walt dares the referees to follow the rules. Laughing

Thanks for posting this video and for your helpful comments. It's certainly intriguing in light of the difference between Friday night and today in terms of both control of rebounds and McCowan's effectiveness (and frustrations).

Last edited by Bob Lamm on 05/16/21 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stormeo

PostPosted: 05/16/21 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Thanks for posting this video and for your helpful comments. It's certainly intriguing in light of the difference between Friday night and today in terms of both control of rebounds and McGowan's effectiveness (and frustrations).

Just an FYI Bob, her name is spelled, "McCowan". Different from the last name of a certain well-known actress/activist ("actrevist"?) that makes headlines from time to time. Smile

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/16/21 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
Thanks for posting this video and for your helpful comments. It's certainly intriguing in light of the difference between Friday night and today in terms of both control of rebounds and McGowan's effectiveness (and frustrations).

Just an FYI Bob, her name is spelled, "McCowan". Different from the last name of a certain well-known actress/activist ("actrevist"?) that makes headlines from time to time. Smile

Thanks for the correction! Sorry about that blunder. Everyone--famous or not--deserves to have their name spelled correctly. Making the change above.

PostPosted: 05/16/21 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Walt Hopkins Pregame comments:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QuoxvP3D23g" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That’s interesting! We were at the game so it’s obviously harder to tell and maybe subtle at that. But I was thinking wow they boxed McCowan out a lot and she just reached over them anyway. Didn’t realize that she was displacing the Liberty defenders. But man it sure made a difference today.

One of many ways Hopkins appears to be having a positive impact.

PostPosted: 05/16/21 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't believe i've ever seen so many offensive fouls in a single game. Charges, displacing defenders on box outs, moving screens...you name it.

I hope Indiana can hit a damn shot when I make the trip to watch them next Friday! Because this was just hard to watch.

I enjoyed Robinson's defense against Ionescu.

Milks26

PostPosted: 05/16/21 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seriously - Indiana?

D. Robinson doing her thing but, they should've different with Lavender and Breland.

Gondrezick had 3 assists but didn't do much of anything else in the game (sheesh) - Ionescu had 8 turnovers (sheesh)

Last edited by Milks26 on 05/16/21 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
root_thing

PostPosted: 05/16/21 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Liberty Postgame: Hopkins, Onyenwere, Laney, Ionescu:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/E1lv4JR6oEU" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PostPosted: 05/16/21 11:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Liberty Postgame: Hopkins, Onyenwere, Laney, Ionescu:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/E1lv4JR6oEU" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Walt Hopkins is on for the first 14-15 minutes. VERY interesting comments throughout. At the 6:45 mark, he raves about Sami Whitcomb, calling her the team's "unsung hero" so far, someone who leads "by example and vocally." At the 13:15 mark, he offers glowing comments about Didi Richards.

PostPosted: 05/16/21 11:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Apparently, Sabrina attended the Naismith Hall of Fame festivities. She mentioned something about driving all night to fly in today. Not sure how to parse that -- did she drive back to NY from Massachusetts to catch a flight to Indiana? Anyway, it sounds like she was fatigued and not mentally sharp.

Both Onyenwere and Ionescu were asked about the Commissioner's Cup. Their answers were the same, "Don't know anything about it." Laughing

PostPosted: 05/17/21 12:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26 wrote:
Seriously - Indiana?

They signed/acquired a bunch of vets that can maybe hit in the midrange, but not at all from 3; spacing continues to be an issue for the whole team but particularly McCowan's ability to operate freely in the paint. They didn't address their lack of outside shooting at all in free agency, and yet these players still chuck 'em up from downtown game after game. TMitchell's presence overall continues to be a problem for this team – she simply can't shoot and is allowed to do too many things on her own accord. They overdrafted a CG – also a streaky shooter – in the lottery when their long-term SG (KMitchell) and long-term PG (Allemand, even if she isn't here this year) are already on the team (well, we'll see how long that lasts anyway; maybe Gondrezick's there cuz the Fever anticipate someone demanding out). They should've drafted a SF-type player (Davis, Onyenwere, Guirantes, Dungee, etc.) seeing as they traded away one of theirs from last year (Burke) and have to start a player clearly still working her way back into WNBA form (Vivians), even if they need someone who can contribute now – and we all know that that someone sure ain't Aaliyah Wilson, even if she were healthy. And speaking of unhealthy players, will Lauren Cox ever get healthy? They say she could be available to play sometime this week, but even so, we'll see how effective she is, as she'll likely be playing hurt a little.

So yep, they're serious, all right. Serious-ly bad. I just hope they don't reach the point where they're so bad, for so long, that they end up leaving town. Sad

Mixolydian

PostPosted: 05/17/21 1:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
gondrezick looks totally in over her head.

Definitely a step down from game 1. The possession where she got two looks at 3s and missed both... oof I felt for her. Hopefully just nerves and she'll settle in.

Milks26

PostPosted: 05/17/21 7:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Milks26 wrote:
Seriously - Indiana?

They signed/acquired a bunch of vets that can maybe hit in the midrange, but not at all from 3; spacing continues to be an issue for the whole team but particularly McCowan's ability to operate freely in the paint. They didn't address their lack of outside shooting at all in free agency, and yet these players still chuck 'em up from downtown game after game. TMitchell's presence overall continues to be a problem for this team – she simply can't shoot and is allowed to do too many things on her own accord. They overdrafted a CG – also a streaky shooter – in the lottery when their long-term SG (KMitchell) and long-term PG (Allemand, even if she isn't here this year) are already on the team (well, we'll see how long that lasts anyway; maybe Gondrezick's there cuz the Fever anticipate someone demanding out). They should've drafted a SF-type player (Davis, Onyenwere, Guirantes, Dungee, etc.) seeing as they traded away one of theirs from last year (Burke) and have to start a player clearly still working her way back into WNBA form (Vivians), even if they need someone who can contribute now – and we all know that that someone sure ain't Aaliyah Wilson, even if she were healthy. And speaking of unhealthy players, will Lauren Cox ever get healthy? They say she could be available to play sometime this week, but even so, we'll see how effective she is, as she'll likely be playing hurt a little.

So yep, they're serious, all right. Serious-ly bad. I just hope they don't reach the point where they're so bad, for so long, that they end up leaving town. Sad

The only vet Indy should've sort was D. Robinson - chuck the other two. A vlogger on utube said that Gronzedrick was a marketing/media pick. It's starting to look like he's probably right but, it's only her 2nd game so will see. Tiff Mitchell's time with the team maybe be winding down. I also would've found a way to keep Unique Thompson if I was them.

In the end they did this sh*t to themselves - the whole damn draft class was still available to them at pick 4. They should try and off load on Cox now

They have a lot of issues but still a long season to go.

PostPosted: 05/17/21 9:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mixolydian wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Definitely a step down from game 1. The possession where she got two looks at 3s and missed both... oof I felt for her. Hopefully just nerves and she'll settle in.

This. Also when she stole the inbound pass at the very end of the quarter but missed the wide open 10-footer.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 05/17/21 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26 wrote:

The only vet Indy should've sort was D. Robinson - chuck the other two. A vlogger on utube said that Gronzedrick was a marketing/media pick. It's starting to look like he's probably right but, it's only her 2nd game so will see. Tiff Mitchell's time with the team maybe be winding down. I also would've found a way to keep Unique Thompson if I was them.

In what possible way does Gronzedrick help marketing?

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/17/21 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Mixolydian wrote:
myrtle wrote:

This. Also when she stole the inbound pass at the very end of the quarter but missed the wide open 10-footer.

In general, I thought she looked lost. Once I thought "oh, that looked good" then realized it was Lindsay Allen driving to the basket. But I hope for Indy's sake, that Kysre will settle in and look less like a deer in the headlight once she gets used to the much faster pace of the game.

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/17/21 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In general Indy looks like a hot mess. Like, when you have a player towering over everybody, and out-weighing opponents by 100 pounds and you can't figure out how to use her - that's a major problem.

DRob was their best player in this game. Think about that! I love VViv and hope she is able to return to form which would help their balance a lot. But trying to depend on a very streaky KMitch as your go-to is fraught with danger. And yeah, the fact they actually dumped Laney and then got to see her kill them had to be pretty disheartening.

I guess Indy will figure out how to win a few games this year, but at this point it doesn't look good.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/17/21 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Milks26 wrote:

Pretty face.

PostPosted: 05/17/21 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Milks26 wrote:

Pretty face.

I guess.

But what are the examples of not very good and virtually unknown players being a marketing boon?

You know what helps marketing? Good players who win games.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: