RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WNBA teams sit out national anthem during season openers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 05/15/21 9:28 am    ::: WNBA teams sit out national anthem during season openers Reply Reply with quote

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/wnba-teams-sit-out-national-anthem-season-opener-042705908.html

Quote:
Phoenix Mercury star Brittney Griner called for the anthem to simply not be played during games after being one of many players to sit out the playing of the song.

PostPosted: 05/15/21 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not sure about the other games, but at Barclays, the national anthem was performed via video (I'm guessing pre-recorded) on the big screen. I say they just skip it and go on with the starting lineups.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/15/21 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmvcity wrote:
Not sure about the other games, but at Barclays, the national anthem was performed via video (I'm guessing pre-recorded) on the big screen. I say they just skip it and go on with the starting lineups.

Many of us go to see movies, plays, concerts, lectures, etc., where the event takes place without the singing or playing of the National Anthem. The same should be true at sporting events.

PostPosted: 05/15/21 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree. The only benefit of playing the NA before games is it gives fans who are late more time to get to their seats.

I suggest that they decide whether to play the NA at games based on fan voting. Let the fans decide if they want to hear it.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 05/15/21 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NA is such a lazy expression of patriotism. Interestingly, at big events the hype is usually more about the artist performing it than the meaning of the anthem itself. I bet most of the country wouldn't even notice if the order of some of the words was changed.

Queenie

PostPosted: 05/16/21 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmvcity wrote:

I think the teams actually forgot they weren't coming out for the anthem, because Indiana came out before New York, then they showed the runout from the Liberty locker room (poor Didi got hit in the face when Layshia photobombed the camera), then the runout didn't happen, then Indiana went back in, then they just kinda threw the anthem up with no suggestion or notification to take any particular action. I was like, "so, are we supposed to stand, or... ...?"

(now with spelling variations)
RI_Sun_Fan

PostPosted: 05/16/21 11:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I went to the Sun / Mercury game Sunday night. The Sun players were on the court kneeling during the national anthem. The Mercury were backstage.

The song was played on a video, showing the Statue of Liberty in the background. I thought that was a bit odd in CT (not a Liberty home game).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: