Liberty
50%
 50%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 24

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/14/21 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
K.Mitch is 50% from the floor, so she should be shooting

The 1-7 from three is what I was referring to.

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/14/21 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Big shot Ionescu. omg. This is what we were treated to in the P12.

Luuuc
#NATC

Sabrina!! Shocked

Ionescu!!!!!!!!!

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/14/21 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She has been huge these last 5 minutes in arresting and then reversing the choke

PostPosted: 05/14/21 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2 ATO plays... one good, one bad. Twisted Evil

Nice Sa-Three-na Cool

bluedevilaztecfan5

PostPosted: 05/14/21 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sab’s first win in the W!!!!

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 05/14/21 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"I wanted it"

🗽

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 05/14/21 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sabrina! She and Laney balled out. Damn I should've went with my first instinct.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/14/21 8:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Welcome back, WNBA! Very Happy

Such a bonus win for NY without their front court.

PostPosted: 05/14/21 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Welcome back, WNBA! Very Happy

Such a bonus win for NY without their front court.

X____

pilight

Iluvacc wrote:
Sabrina! She and Laney balled out. Damn I should've went with my first instinct.

At home against the consensus worst team in the league. If you're not picking them now then when will you ever?

Sabrina was forcing in those last 5 min of the game but those last forced 3's were insane Very Happy Cool

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Iluvacc

PostPosted: 05/14/21 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:

At home against the consensus worst team in the league. If you're not picking them now then when will you ever?

Howard being out made me nervous Rolling Eyes

bcdawg04

PostPosted: 05/14/21 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Big shot Ionescu. omg. This is what we were treated to in the P12.

And the Pac-12 sure is well-represented with this team. 5 players, plus 2 ACs. (Technically all 4 coaches apparently, but only 2 of them played in the Pac-12 (10) ).

Queenie

PostPosted: 05/14/21 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Interesting the announcer can't tell the difference between Kelsey and Tiffany Mitchell. It's not like they look anything alike!

To be fair, I have resorted to "whichever goddamn Mitchell you are". It's a memetic block or something.

(now with spelling variations)
Queenie

PostPosted: 05/14/21 8:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My throat hurts but it's good to be home. With my people. With my team. With those Maalox Moments.

(now with spelling variations)
Randy

PostPosted: 05/14/21 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:

The Dream may just have something to say about who's the worst team in the league after tonight..... Razz

pilight

PostPosted: 05/14/21 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
pilight wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:

The Dream may just have something to say about who's the worst team in the league after tonight..... Razz

Hard to tell when they were missing their best backcourt player and their best frontcourt player

PostPosted: 05/14/21 11:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just watched my first ever WNBA game start to finish. (Watched the replay on the League Pass as I was at a gathering earlier.)

Random unsolicited thoughts:

--NY is fun to watch because I know a lot of the players from their college days. (Which I first started watching the 2018-2019 season.)

--For as much as McCowan scored, Indiana should have gone to her more, especially in the first half. Things really opened up for K. Mitchell once NY played a more collapsing defense to protect the paint better.

--Indiana got shafted by the refs twice in the first half. First on the offensive rebound NY got where the player ran in from out of bounds. Second the the jump ball where Shook got blocked by McCowan. Both these plays should have been turnovers but instead led to wide open kick-out threes.

--It's awesome to see Onyenwere shine. She is clearly benefitting from a faster paced system and a more balanced roster where her athleticism is an asset and not the sole target of the opposing team's defense.

--Didi's two points had me laughing my ass off. First a steal, then takes it up the court herself looking like a fish out of water, then pulling up in the middle of the paint for the ugliest looking jump shot of the game. But hey, it went in!!! Very Happy

--I'm glad Gondrezick made a couple shots. I'm rooting for her. I think Indiana should have found a few more minutes for her to give K. Mitchell a bit of a blow.

--Ionescu found her mid-range and three-point jumper, but her floaters in the paint looked very very uncomfortable. Definitely looked apprehensive about getting her shot blocked. Maybe a drawback of going against a shorter roster in practice? I'm sure she'll adjust to this as the season goes on.

--Ionescu's game winner was amazing, like, truly, don't get me wrong... but Sa-three-na is an absolutely cringeworthy nickname. To the announcer that said that: please retire immediately. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Lib Fan

PostPosted: 05/14/21 11:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
My throat hurts but it's good to be home. With my people. With my team. With those Maalox Moments.

Yes great to have : An opening game win
Being in a real arena again
Paper Tickets for the rest of the season
Seeing old friends
Happy end of game faces
Yes Queenie,the Liberty might have gotten rid of Maddie but
they cant get rid of those Libierty "Maalox Moments"
(is Maalox even being made any more)

Being at a Liberty game at Barclays was so nice after years in WCC and then the Bubble

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 05/15/21 1:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Got to go to the game in person
It was a great time!
I was nervous to be indoors in a big crowd but there was plenty of room (TBH it felt like being outside) Barclay's was checking vaccination cards and proof of negative tests and it felt very safe.
Also the fan base overall took safety seriously, everyone pretty much wore their face coverings and was respectful of personal space. I love WNBA fans. Between the people I was with and the folks around us there was a constant stream of informed and hilarious commentary through out the game, and you could feel after two years how grateful everyone was to be back in the arena enjoying the sport they love.

My comments on the teams

I will start with the Fever

McCowan is inches away from being a super star the question is how much can someone increase their speed and conditioning? Every time she got her hand on the ball in the paint whether from a pass or a rebound it was a done deal. OTOH the Liberty are probably a great match up for her we simply didn't have the size or experience to cope with her, we were slow to double team and even when we did it slowed her down but didn't stop her. (There were a number of very predictable times when her and Lavender seemed like they were playing catch off their backboard, If you give someone three chance in three seconds they will eventually get it in).

K. Mitchell as Myrtle says likes to shoot. When it starts going in it can be scary, in the second half we couldn't contain her even when it was obvious she was going to try and score. If Mitchell and McCowan can bring this every night the Fever can get some wins.

Lavender is exactly we she has always been a pretty good, less physical post with good size and a midrange game.

It was great to see Breland back on the floor. I was kind of surprised we didn't see her more as she was pretty effective in her minutes. I think she could have a Hamby like impact on the Fever. I believe her minutes will increase. Interested to see how Cox fits into this line up. If she shows lottery level talent Indy has a decent post rotation.

Everyone else kind of under performed IMO. T. Mitchell has an energy and intensity but her consistency is an issue (granted it has been one game but this seems to be what stops her from being a real impact player).

The announcers had no idea how to pronounce Kysre Gondrezick name but she made it easy on them by sort of disappearing after her first few good minutes. Vivians also seemed to disappear once the game got going.

In short McCowan and Mitchell were amazing and if there was just a little more support from the rest of the team the Fever would have won pretty easily.

OK The Liberty

lets start with the fact that we were missing Howard, Allen and Stokes and our only player over 6' 1" was a sophomore who averaged less than 15 minutes a game last year.

NY over all played a great game but you could definitely see nerves from almost everyone to a point where some player were even derailed.

Sabrina Ionescu is a great player but she started out a little tentative (understandable she played 3 games last season in the bubble and suffered an injury that took her out of basketball for a year). Once she got going you could see the whole package. She has a natural floor general leadership vibe. In her fourth W game it was clear she is going to be the team leader and that is going to be her role for her entire career. She did a great job of getting everyone involved. One thing you could see was her struggling with calling her own number. Early on it seemed like she was tentative to shoot and wanted to get everyone involved. Later in the game she seemed to force shots on drives and do weird scoop shots with no one in place to rebound. But most of the time she found the balance and she frequently was the player who made the crucial shot that stop the Indy run. After last season as Indy seemed to take charge in the last 5 minutes I expected the team to fold but Ionescu (and some others) refused to let it happen and fought back. Ionescu getting the buzzer beater almost seemed scripted but you need to have that type of star quality to make the unlikely seem inevitable and that is the intangible quality that make Liberty fans thrilled to have a player like Sabrina.

Welcome to the Liberty B. Laney. Laney had an amazing game! What was interesting about it was a lot of the time Laney seemed a little out of control but then you looked up and she had 20 points 30 points and was making a critical play on the defensive end. It seemed to come easy. Her dribble and her shot aren't really a thing of beauty but effective has a beauty all its own. Laney also plays with an edge, she seem kind of pissed off, but if that is how you have a 30 point debut then be pissed off. If Laney ends up being our 3rd option behind Howard and Ionescu NY is going to be pretty good.

Onyenwere didn't look like a rookie, she looked like a pro, like she belongs. She plays bigger than she looks and was the player who kept the ship on course while others were playing through their nerves. She has definitely thrown her hat in the ring for ROY, her 3 shot looks good to me and she can play from the 2-4 and has impressive athleticism (Atl and Indy might really regret passing on her). My only concern is how much her minutes will be cut with the arrival of Stokes, Howard and Allen. Hopefully Onyenwere has already done enough to hold her place in the top of the rotation she is for real.

Whitcomb gave us a glimpse of what she could do with two 3s early, but sort of dropped off after that. She is a pest on defense and has really nice handles she can probably get some minutes at the 1 and 2 and her shooting will be needed but it was a little weird to see her come out hot and then fizzle except for being a steady hand (she was the experienced player who looked experienced). When Mitchell started going off neither her or Ionescu had an answer for her on the defensive end.

Shook. I always feel like I am hard on Shook and being the starting center against McCowan is probably not what she is supposed to be doing on this level. She did a pretty god job considering, she made some nice cuts and gave it her all. I think If Stokes can get in their and take the brunt up front and Shook is our bench big she has a lot to offer. The only problem was she couldn't stop McCowan she tried but was consistently over powered. She also had some chances in the post on offense but you could see when McCowan was within 5 feet of her she would get nervous, fumble or try to pass when she should have gone up for the shot. Shook was Shook when it came to trying to shoot against McCowan.

Jones also looked nervous, she was way too hyped and made a bunch of mistakes the first few time she was on the floor. BUT and this is a big but in the last few crucial minutes Hopkins went Offense/defense and Jones and Richards were critical in shutting down Mitchell and disrupting the Fever from getting the ball into the post. There were two stops that could be traced directly to Jaz and Didi.

DiDi Richards There is a common expression that to make it at the highest level you need at least one pro level skill. Richards plays pro level defense, period! She is a disruptive force on that end and can literally defend 1-4. It was awesome when she got the steal and made that shot after driving up the court but Didi can have a net positive effect on a game without ever scoring. She is also already a fan favorite. sometime in the third quarter a chant for Didi to come in started and she didn't dissapoint. If I get a jersey and it isn't an Ionescu it will probably be a Richards (maybe an Onyenwere) eventually three players are going to be cut when Howard, Allen and Stokes are available but Didi won't be one of them.

Clarendon Ironically the most experienced player in a Liberty uniform was part of the nerves crew and like some others was pulled after a few short minutes of pushing too hard. I am willing to give Clarendon the benefit of the doubt, but coach wasn't because she never returned after her 3 rough minutes in the 2nd quarter.

The replacement players

Gray is Gray she plays hard, was really the only post who got McCowan even slightly off her game and was clearly willing to give up her body. She is still undersized and doesn't offer much on offense. There was a run where both her and Richards were on the floor they did slow the Fever down on the defensive end but the offense got a little clunky, luckily Laney kept making shots in that period so it wasn't a negative. I wouldn't mind if after she gets cut maybe they could bring her back (just not sure at whose expense) I wouldn't be surprised to see her on and off of the roster all season as our first hardship option.

Holmes, I have been rooting for Holmes but this game was rough, she is big and could have been effective in the post but she was slow and made a bunch of mistakes. Like Jones she was nervous, but unlike Jones her effort seemed questionable and she wasn't given any chance at redemption after what was a shaky five minutes in the second quarter, others were involved but she was prominent in the minutes where the Fever went on a run a got back in the game.

Overall it wasn't a masterpiece but there is a lot to be excited about for this year's Liberty they already look much better than last season and when Howard and to a lesser extent Allen and Stokes are added to the line up NY should be competitive in most games and play a much more fan friendly form of basketball than last year (we score 90 points in regulation that in itself is amazing and hit a bunch of 3s. The system looks much better when you hit 3s)

I am not going to get too excited because Indy is a team we should be competitive with no matter what but I went into the game expecting to lose, too much youth and not enough size is usually a very bad combo. McCowan killed us which I expected but we held the rest of the team at bay, we had some great performances from our player shout out again to Laney, Onyenwere and Ionescu and we fought back in the last three minutes after losing a lead we held on to most of the game when last year we would have faltered.

The game was fun to watch and it was great getting out with a win in a very exciting fashion hopefully this bodes well for the season. Go Liberty.

Sorry I wrote a book and
that I am not going to go back and edit what I am sure is a grammatical and spelling/typo disaster.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 05/15/21 5:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mamba mentality was present in this game and with DT's gamewinner. Kobe would be proud Cool

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Shades

PostPosted: 05/15/21 7:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Mamba mentality was present in this game and with DT's gamewinner. Kobe would be proud Cool

You misspelled “Ionescu”. 😉

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 05/15/21 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Sorry I wrote a book and
that I am not going to go back and edit what I am sure is a grammatical and spelling/typo disaster.

great book! I enjoyed reading it. Hope you have a fun season.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: