46%
 46%  [ 15 ]
No
53%
 53%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 32

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/15/21 10:22 pm    ::: A. Guirantes Reply Reply with quote

Talent versus Attitude? Is she not better than the 20 something players picked before her? Or did her player chemistry effect her draft pick?

PostPosted: 04/15/21 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I continue to be baffled by her apparent drop.

I don't know much about her personality or her game aside from highlights, but she seemed pleasant in her interview.

Essentially 20+, 5+, 5+ stat line with 2 steals and 2 blocks? Sure the FG% was low, but she upped her 3pt volume and FT% significantly this season.

I would love to hear why she was drafted so low. Rutgers had a shortened season, but they had a good record. I don't get it. I would have loved to have her at 17 over Richards (since we didn't draft a 'post' with any of our picks).

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 04/15/21 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All the draftees probably believe that they are a top five talent. The whole draft class is at the same talent level.

PostPosted: 04/15/21 11:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe like so many of us, the GMs didn't see Guirantes enough because they were too cheap to pay for the Big Ten Network. Smile

PostPosted: 04/15/21 11:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've never seen Guirantes play; don't even know what she looks like. But I'm all-in on her. I hope that she becomes the unanimous ROY, and goes on to become a multiple-time All-Star/All-WNBA player. I hope that she comes into the league with a giant chip on her shoulder, that she never allows to come off. I hope that she picks #19 as her jersey number, to reflect the fact that nine teams passed on her, twice (at least), and even the team that drafted on her passed on her, once. And that she comes out with the mentality to obliterate all nine teams, every time she plays them, but especially the Wings, since they passed on her four times; I hope that, when her career is over, something like eight of the Top Ten scoring games of her career are all against Dallas.

I hope that she makes it to the Hall of Fame, and then pulls a Michael Jordan during her speech, turning it into a roast of the nine teams that passed on her in the draft. #HateHard

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/16/21 12:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I voted "Yes." I had her outside of the Top 5 in my final mock, but is she a Top 5 talent? Yes.

It's absolutely batshit crazy that LA took Stephanie Watts over Guirantes at #10 to begin with, seeing as Watts is basically a weaker version of Guirantes across the board.

Guirantes' senior-year statline... 19 games, 21.3 PPG, 41.6% FG (37.8% 3PT), 6 FTA/G (86.8% FT), 6.0 RPG, 5.1 APG, 1.4 ATO, 2.1 SPG, 1.7 BPG

Watts' senior-year statline.......... 23 games, 12.0 PPG, 38.5% FG (30.5% 3PT), 2.7 FTA/G (85.9% FT), 5.4 RPG, 3.0 APG, 1.6 ATO, 1.7 SPG, 0.8 BPG

Makes no sense, unless Derek Fisher's simply obsessed with the ATO statistic. Laughing Rolling Eyes

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/16/21 7:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
I've never seen Guirantes play; don't even know what she looks like. But I'm all-in on her. I hope that she becomes the unanimous ROY, and goes on to become a multiple-time All-Star/All-WNBA player. I hope that she comes into the league with a giant chip on her shoulder, that she never allows to come off. I hope that she picks #19 as her jersey number, to reflect the fact that nine teams passed on her, twice (at least), and even the team that drafted on her passed on her, once. And that she comes out with the mentality to obliterate all nine teams, every time she plays them, but especially the Wings, since they passed on her four times; I hope that, when her career is over, something like eight of the Top Ten scoring games of her career are all against Dallas.

I hope that she makes it to the Hall of Fame, and then pulls a Michael Jordan during her speech, turning it into a roast of the nine teams that passed on her in the draft. #HateHard

Oh this is some goooooood petty.

(now with spelling variations)
bluedevilaztecfan5

PostPosted: 04/16/21 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
I voted "Yes." I had her outside of the Top 5 in my final mock, but is she a Top 5 talent? Yes.

It's absolutely batshit crazy that LA took Stephanie Watts over Guirantes at #10 to begin with, seeing as Watts is basically a weaker version of Guirantes across the board.

Guirantes' senior-year statline... 19 games, 21.3 PPG, 41.6% FG (37.8% 3PT), 6 FTA/G (86.8% FT), 6.0 RPG, 5.1 APG, 1.4 ATO, 2.1 SPG, 1.7 BPG

Watts' senior-year statline.......... 23 games, 12.0 PPG, 38.5% FG (30.5% 3PT), 2.7 FTA/G (85.9% FT), 5.4 RPG, 3.0 APG, 1.6 ATO, 1.7 SPG, 0.8 BPG

Makes no sense, unless Derek Fisher's simply obsessed with the ATO statistic. Laughing Rolling Eyes

Come throughhhhhh.
I think it was the 13-11 UNC record over Rutgers 14-5.....paired with the ACC having two top 25 teams compared to the Big Ten’s five.
The impact toward wins, along with fellow prospect Bailey, was felt by the Tar Heels.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/16/21 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

Oh this is some goooooood petty.

The bolded part^ Laughing Laughing Laughing

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/16/21 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Maybe like so many of us, the GMs didn't see Guirantes enough because they were too cheap to pay for the Big Ten Network. Smile

+1 Laughing

undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/16/21 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

Does Big Ten Network not come with a standard cable package in your areas? My "cable" is one of the plans through Hulu that includes Live TV.

For me, it's the PAC-12 network that I have virtually no way of watching. Sometimes I would sign up for a free trial one weekend if there were a couple of games I wanted to watch, but otherwise I had to hope they'd be uploaded to YouTube or just wait for a game to be on ESPN2.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/16/21 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I get big 10 network, but most of the women's games I wanted to watch were only on B10+, which you have to pay extra for. I think I watched 2 or 3 games the whole year that were on Big 10 network. I saw Guirantes one time early in the year and wasn't much impressed. I saw her again once later and she had a very nice game, and overall nice numbers so I started to believe the hype. I assume the GMs did their jobs and had access to lots of her games. But still I was shocked she would be taken later than several of the girls I did watch and wasn't very impressed with... I think it was really a year of pretty flat line talent and Cheryl was right that most of them will have a successful career (ie be lucky) if they're actually still in the league in 4 years. I'm a soft touch so always hoping for the best for all of them! I hate the waiver wire!

undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/16/21 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I get big 10 network, but most of the women's games I wanted to watch were only on B10+, which you have to pay extra for. I think I watched 2 or 3 games the whole year that were on Big 10 network. I saw Guirantes one time early in the year and wasn't much impressed. I saw her again once later and she had a very nice game, and overall nice numbers so I started to believe the hype. I assume the GMs did their jobs and had access to lots of her games. But still I was shocked she would be taken later than several of the girls I did watch and wasn't very impressed with... I think it was really a year of pretty flat line talent and Cheryl was right that most of them will have a successful career (ie be lucky) if they're actually still in the league in 4 years. I'm a soft touch so always hoping for the best for all of them! I hate the waiver wire!

I'm so sorry--even though I have it and used it a ton this season, the existence of B10+ totally slipped my mind! I see how that's inaccessible. Iowa got lucky in the sense that almost all their games were on regularly B10 network in the second half of the season (once the team started to get more hype).

IMO Guirantes was not helped by the fact that Rutgers offense relied on her to force things too often. Even if her numbers were decent enough, the overall impression was poor at times, to me. I'm not sure if that's on Guirantes for making bad decisions or the Rutgers coaching staff for not running a better offense.

If she makes a roster, I'll think she'll do even better having more balance around her.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/16/21 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I think it was really a year of pretty flat line talent and Cheryl was right that most of them will have a successful career (ie be lucky) if they're actually still in the league in 4 years.

That’s not necessarily a knock on them. It’s the lack of spots and opportunity. If you’re able to step up when your number is called, you increase your odds.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
mzonefan

PostPosted: 04/16/21 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
myrtle wrote:

IMO Guirantes was not helped by the fact that Rutgers offense relied on her to force things too often. Even if her numbers were decent enough, the overall impression was poor at times, to me. I'm not sure if that's on Guirantes for making bad decisions or the Rutgers coaching staff for not running a better offense.

This.

Although RU’s offensive numbers were up (most games were vs bottom of conference), it seemed this year was very disjointed. Arella was dribbling into traffic and throwing up a prayers at the end of the clock vs the better teams.

willtalk

PostPosted: 04/16/21 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe we can put much of the blame on Stringer. She was vastly over rated as a coach and got most of her wins via a lot of talent during a time of little parity filled with sub par coaching and programs.

PostPosted: 05/14/21 1:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:

I think about this post daily, and laugh.

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 05/14/21 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:

🙄

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/14/21 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

🙄

I view Guirantes as an Arike 2.0...nah 3.0 but she's still a baller a little small to get the boards she got in college at this level but she's not a player you can leave unguarded and can win ROY as easy as any rookie in this class with the opportunity to play as much of course.

PostPosted: 05/14/21 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluedevilaztecfan5 wrote:
I continue to be baffled by her apparent drop.

I don't know much about her personality or her game aside from highlights, but she seemed pleasant in her interview.

Essentially 20+, 5+, 5+ stat line with 2 steals and 2 blocks? Sure the FG% was low, but she upped her 3pt volume and FT% significantly this season.

I would love to hear why she was drafted so low. Rutgers had a shortened season, but they had a good record. I don't get it. I would have loved to have her at 17 over Richards (since we didn't draft a 'post' with any of our picks).

I might be reaching much by suggesting this, but if I had to put my money on the reason so many teams passed on her, if you go back and look at several of her interviews, in each one she placed a specific desire to play for the Liberty because it was home, the team she grew up supporting and the place where she would the happiest! Maybe, just maybe no one wanted to potentially deal with a disgruntled player who is new to the league early on, especially how we all watched the Wings deal with not once but twice....just my thoughts, but I could be way off base!

GEF34

PostPosted: 05/14/21 6:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is an undisclosed health reason she wasn’t able to sign and join the Sparks training camp until late, I don’t know what it is and how long she has been dealing with it, but it kept her out of the Sparks training camp for quite a while. The Sparks had said multiple times they didn’t have an exact timeline of when she would be available, perhaps this is something she had been dealing with for a while and teams didn’t want to risk her not being able to join training camp or unable to playing this season and that is why they passed on her.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: