RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Qataris respond to photographs of wealth tourism..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 10/20/15 4:43 pm    ::: Qataris respond to photographs of wealth tourism.. Reply Reply with quote

Must be just us photographers. Cool This from the British Journal of Photography.

Qataris respond to Dougie Wallace’s photographs of Britain’s wealth tourism

Described as an "exposé of the emergence of an ultra-affluent elite", Dougie Wallace's new body of work, Harrodsburg, shows another London: one of million pound sports cars, routine plastic surgery, pancake make-up, jewel-studded Rolexes and the all-encompassing stench of economic privilege.

“Disgusting”. “Perverted.” “The British Judiciary should hold him accountable for what he’s doing.”

These are just a handful of reactions to Dougie Wallace’s new body of work: Harrodsburg.

For Harrodsburg, Wallace prowled the pavements of London’s richest post-codes, flash and camera primed, waiting for a suitable subject. When he spots one, he approaches, snaps a quick close-up and is gone before they’ve had time to process what’s happened.

Those responsible are the petrochemical megarich, the Qataris, Emirates, Saudis and Russians that make up a distinctive second tribe in Dougie’s series. Anyone familiar with Knightsbridge will know the high-octane thrum of Bugattis, Lamborghinis and Ferraris: “They go round and round and round in circles, it’s like a Scalextric,” he says.

Their wives, arms heavy with designer shopping bags, march from chauffeured Mercedes to the shop door.

The pictures have kicked up a stink in Qatar’s capital Doha. The Doha News ran a story on Harrodsburg which resulted in 425,000 unique visits to the online collection. The story linked to the hashtag #دوغي_والاس, where native commentators discuss ways to deal with Dougie’s presence. They say, (via Google Translate): “No one has the right to photograph any person,” “May God curse him” and, perhaps most hurtfully for the man who calls himself ‘Glasweegee’, “English moron”.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 10/20/15 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Of course the jammer being the jammer, as he is wont to be, I was where this photographer was two years ago and kind of saying the same things. I still am, obviously. But here is a post from my blog I made March 8th 2013 entitled The Gilded Age is Back

Los Angeles is one of those places on this Earth where one can observe the extent to which the disparity between the haves and the have-nots has become a gulf of historic proportions.

Just this week there’s the story of how prospective middle class home buyers, teachers, managers, in the Inland Empire of Southern California, are attempting to purchase homes while prices are at historic lows. But the properties are being quickly bought up by cash buyers. Not local individuals, but far-off investment firms ranging from places like Wall St. to beyond including China and the Middle East.

People who live, shop, work and pay taxes in cities like Riverside and San Bernardino, and certainly soon to be Los Angeles and everywhere else in California, can’t take advantage of these never-seen-before prices for homes because people from far far away will capitalize financially at this advantageous time.

The plan, as has been reported in the Los Angeles Times and elsewhere, is to create a super-industry of residential rentals, owned and managed by the wealthy firms on Wall St. and elsewhere who can easily buy up these properties with cash. That’s right. They will then RENT these homes to the very area residents who were willing and able to buy those same properties at the prices they were sold at and, in many cases, even more as these locals have learned that they must often overbid by tens of thousands of dollars to even have a chance of winning the prize of their dream home.

Permanent far off landlords will take the place of the American dream of owning one’s own home. Someone will get rich on those locals instead of them being able to claim homes and property they were more than willing to buy and own.

First I really appreciate this guy's balls and power and that British photography and photographers are probably behind him. And his Bruce Gilden style works for this... better than my shot on 50lux.com.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 05/12/21 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So I wrote about this on my blog back in 2013. You know. lol. I've always told you guys, watch California and then gird your loins. Whatever shit is going down here is eventually coming your way. I warned on this eight years ago on my blog and linked to it here six years ago. And then a month ago the shit hit the national news.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EBb9zf_zWvU" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PostPosted: 05/12/21 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, wow. This is starting to happen in our area. We have a neighbor who listed their home and property, eight acres I think. $659,000 asking price. They received multiple cash offers in first two days, and the highest included an extension that they would beat any offer up to 900,000 by 3,000. Another friend listed their home for 334,000 received 7 viewings and 4 ALL CASH offers in first two days. These listing prices are WAY over where they would have been even a few years ago. Wasn't long ago you could buy HUNDREDS of acres with a nice home for 600,000

The average household median income for our area in 2019 is around 48,000. Individual 25,000

It's pricing locals out of the market. Fast.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 05/12/21 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Acreage. Crying or Very sad In Virginia. Along the Maury River. Shenandoah Valley. Near the giant national park they have there. I don’t know anyplace outside of the southwest where you can see so far.

PostPosted: 05/13/21 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DivaORcat16 wrote:
So, wow. This is starting to happen in our area. We have a neighbor who listed their home and property, eight acres I think. $659,000 asking price. They received multiple cash offers in first two days, and the highest included an extension that they would beat any offer up to 900,000 by 3,000. Another friend listed their home for 334,000 received 7 viewings and 4 ALL CASH offers in first two days. These listing prices are WAY over where they would have been even a few years ago. Wasn't long ago you could buy HUNDREDS of acres with a nice home for 600,000

The average household median income for our area in 2019 is around 48,000. Individual 25,000

It's pricing locals out of the market. Fast.

The same thing is happening in northern New England. Affluent COVID-refugees from NY/NJ/CT and points further down the I-95 corridor who can now work from home and who have boatloads of equity in their existing homes have bought up nearly everything that's for sale. Remaining inventory consists of mobile homes and 200 year houses that are mostly rubble. Locals can't compete at all.

DivaORcat16

PostPosted: 05/13/21 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am in Southern Oregon. There used to be a LOT of retiring Californians coming here. They could sell their 3bedroom 2bath home for easy 500,000 and come up here and by comparable sized nice home with a couple of acres for under 150,000. Now, it's a mix of ages and places their coming from. I remember as a kid (1970's) if someone new moved here and said they were from California people bristled, it was like they said a dirty word.

I love my town and state butthey've definitely changed. Our town just doesn't have enough big industry. It's mostly timber related for good paying jobs and wages haven't kept up with cost of living and property prices. But with all the changes in the timber industry over the last 40 years people are hurting to make a living.

Mild climate, along I5, cheap property, hour to the Ocean, hour to the mountains, and I believe about 12 hours to Seattle or San Francisco.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 05/14/21 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DivaORcat16 wrote:
I am in Southern Oregon. There used to be a LOT of retiring Californians coming here. They could sell their 3bedroom 2bath home for easy 500,000 and come up here and by comparable sized nice home with a couple of acres for under 150,000. Now, it's a mix of ages and places their coming from. I remember as a kid (1970's) if someone new moved here and said they were from California people bristled, it was like they said a dirty word...[snip]

In the late-1970's, this was known as "Californication". Rolling Eyes

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: