RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 67, 68, 69  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
root_thing

PostPosted: 05/12/21 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
So has any STH's been able to log in to Ticket Manager ?
I have had the same problem as Root Thing

I haven't heard back from my rep. She did mention that she was getting the same error message, so it's not just us.

PostPosted: 05/12/21 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK amateur GMs, here’s another option to consider. What if the Liberty cut Johannes? Most teams are cap-squeezed and wouldn’t want to take on a player who will miss most of the season. Furthermore, if you wait until the last minute, chances are even less that some team will claim Marine because they won't want to mess with their already set roster. By cutting Johannes, NY removes her from both the roster and the cap, but they can still re-sign her after the Olympics. The only risk is that she becomes an unrestricted free agent. However, at the time Marine signed, it sounded like she was specifically excited about living in New York.

When Kolb worked for the league office, part of his job was teaching new GMs how to manage the cap. In theory, he should know every trick in the book. So, I’m just trying to figure out his angle. Otherwise, I still don’t know how he’ll get Onyenwere on the roster without full-year suspending Johannes.

PostPosted: 05/12/21 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is kind of mind blowing that with all the transactions that the Liberty did today we still have some big question marks.

I am sure something else will drop by 5 tomorrow but what will they know tomorrow that they don't know today?

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/12/21 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
OK amateur GMs, here’s another option to consider. What if the Liberty cut Johannes? Most teams are cap-squeezed and wouldn’t want to take on a player who will miss most of the season. Furthermore, if you wait until the last minute, chances are even less that some team will claim Marine because they won't want to mess with their already set roster. By cutting Johannes, NY removes her from both the roster and the cap, but they can still re-sign her after the Olympics. The only risk is that she becomes an unrestricted free agent. However, at the time Marine signed, it sounded like she was specifically excited about living in New York.

When Kolb worked for the league office, part of his job was teaching new GMs how to manage the cap. In theory, he should know every trick in the book. So, I’m just trying to figure out his angle. Otherwise, I still don’t know how he’ll get Onyenwere on the roster without full-year suspending Johannes.

I am surely one of the worst amateur GMs here, if not THE worst, and if anyone wants to fire me as an amateur GM I will say they're making a good call. But I do have a thought that seems relevant to the issue raised by root_thing.

I was VERY excited by the play of Marine Johannes when she was on the court for the Liberty in 2019. I'd love to see her come to New York after the Olympics and join our roster. So I don't want my thoughts here to be specifically about Johannes.

The Liberty has put a lot into international players. Question: should they reduce that emphasis a bit? I love the idea of a roster with an international favor, but does it actually work out well? It seems difficult enough these days to construct and manage a roster given that many U.S. players have overseas commitments that interfere with team development. Our key acquisition for 2021 was Natasha Howard. She will miss all of training camp. When the regular season begins, she won't be with the team.

So I have to wonder: how much will Marine Johannes EVER play for the Liberty? Han Xu? Marine Fauthoux?

I raise this not to criticize any of these players. Nor to criticize Jonathan Kolb or any past Liberty executive. I say this as someone who'd love to see Johannes, Han, Rebecca Allen, and other international players make important contributions to the Liberty this season and/or in 2022 and/or whenever.

I'm still fine with being fired as an amateur GM, but I wonder how others feel about this issue.

PostPosted: 05/12/21 11:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the opening-day/opening-weekend roster will most likely look like this:

PG: Ionescu/Clarendon
SG: Whitcomb/Jones
SF: Laney/Richards
PF: Odom/Onyenwere
C: Shook/A. Taylor (roster-hardship)

On the roster but injured: Willoughby
Temp.-suspended: R. Allen, N. Howard, Stokes

14 total players
13 counting on the cap (everyone minus Asia Taylor), with $1,358 to spare
9 healthy and active players + Asia Taylor on a hardship contract

Of course, I also assume Johannès will get full-season suspended as expected.

Still, at this rate, Taylor wouldn't be available for that first game, as she'd have to get waived & then be on the wire for 48 hours. Someone who would be is Valerie Higgins, whom the coaches liked – maybe even more than Richards (I also wouldn't be surprised to see Richards get waived here). But at this rate, Taylor will only be able to play games for the Liberty as a roster-hardship player – unless the Liberty don't care about carrying 13 salaries + a hardship. Maybe they just want 12 salaries (which would include Taylor as a regular player) + a hardship.

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/13/21 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Semi-Good News: I still can't get into my account through Barclays Center, but I found that I could get access by going directly to Ticketmaster.

Bad News: The "My Tickets" page is empty.

PostPosted: 05/13/21 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Semi-Good News: I still can't get into my account through Barclays Center, but I found that I could get access by going directly to Ticketmaster.

Bad News: The "My Tickets" page is empty.

I guess the Liberty was thinking it was more important pushing out Maddie
in favor of Ellie , than getting STH's their tickets !

You would think we would not have to wait for the last day to have them
I hope its not a big mess tomorrow night with people waiting to see a rep bwecause of no tickets

Bec Allen is in New York

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/13/21 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
Bec Allen is in New York

Maybe Bec has the tickets!

In case this doesn't get resolved by tomorrow, I'm reading up on how the French stormed the Bastille.

PostPosted: 05/13/21 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the ticket issue ain't resolved by tomorrow morning, I can see all the reps just sitting at the entrance with their laptops and manually checking in STHs and handing out post-its with the seat numbers. They might as well have cotton swabs handy.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/13/21 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmvcity wrote:
If the ticket issue ain't resolved by tomorrow morning, I can see all the reps just sitting at the entrance with their laptops and manually checking in STHs and handing out post-its with the seat numbers. They might as well have cotton swabs handy.

Perhaps the players from both teams can be out on the street to help. That would be more people with laptops! Don't start the game till everyone is seated. Smile

I really feel for the Liberty fans posting and reading here who are going to the game. Seems like a huge mess.

PostPosted: 05/13/21 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

" Huge Mess" seems to always be the Liberty way Rolling Eyes

jmvcity

PostPosted: 05/13/21 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:

Like a big pile of elephant dung!

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 05/13/21 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmvcity wrote:
Lib Fan wrote:

Now the mascot makes more sense.

Lib Fan

PostPosted: 05/13/21 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
jmvcity wrote:
Lib Fan wrote:

Maybe the Liberty are doing STH's a favor by not getting us tickets ...so we dont have to see a blowout by the Fever

Shades

PostPosted: 05/13/21 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

New York Liberty suspended the contract of Marine Johannès»Full season

Players tend to not like getting full season suspensions if they wanted to play a partial season. Reeve should give her a call.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 05/13/21 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so now NY is

Ionescu/Clarendon
Jones/Whitcomb
Laney/Richards/(Willoughby)
Onyenwere/Odom
Shook/Taylor

eventually ending at barring waiver wire moves

Ionescu/Clarendon
Jones/Whitcomb
Laney/Odom, Richards or Taylor/(Willoughby)
Allen/Onyenwere
Howard/Stokes/Shook

Last edited by J-Spoon on 05/13/21 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
root_thing

PostPosted: 05/13/21 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
jmvcity wrote:
Lib Fan wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 05/13/21 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So with Taylor cut down to 9 active

Ionescu/Clarendon
Jones/Whitcomb
Onyenwere/Odom
Shook

replacement player Holmes?

wire pick up? Mack?

bluedevilaztecfan5

PostPosted: 05/13/21 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Ionescu/Clarendon
Jones/Whitcomb
Onyenwere/Odom
Shook

replacement player Holmes?
wire pick up? Mack?

I think it will be Holmes. I would love to pick up Mack though.

I also think to begin the season the depth chart will be:
Ionescu/Clarendon
Whitcomb/Jones
Laney/Odom
Onyenwere/Richards
Shook/*hardship contract (Holmes)

Those 5 were practicing together in a quick IG video, obviously doesn’t make it set in stone but I could see them leaning that way to start.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/13/21 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Although Richards could play the 4 in the Liberty system, she went from playing the 3 to the 1 at Baylor. I recall Odom being a 4 her senior year. Not sure before then.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
bluedevilaztecfan5

PostPosted: 05/13/21 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Although Richards could play the 4 in the Liberty system, she went from playing the 3 to the 1 at Baylor. I recall Odom being a 4 her senior year. Not sure before then.

Yeah in my original depth chart I have Odom at ‘4’ and Richards at ‘3’. Though Odom did start at ‘3’ for us last season.

My reasoning is because it was Richards matched up with Onyenwere in that video I mentioned.

I think it doesn’t actually matter too much, they are both skinny athletic long 6’2 defensive players with playmaking potential.

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/13/21 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Odom actually began her senior year as a 1 in a similar situation as Richards -- arbitrary decision by the coach. It didn't last, but I think the point is they're both movable. Besides, this is supposed to be the vaunted positionless basketball played in the NBA.

PostPosted: 05/13/21 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Odom actually began her senior year as a 1 in a similar situation as Richards -- arbitrary decision by the coach. It didn't last, but I think the point is they're both movable. Besides, this is supposed to be the vaunted positionless basketball played in the NBA.

Just wait and see, we are gonna make waves this season Laughing

I’m just hoping they are not embarrassing waves.
I didn’t like reading quotes from the scrimmage against Connecticut where rebounding was an area of weakness.

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/13/21 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluedevilaztecfan5 wrote:
I didn’t like reading quotes from the scrimmage against Connecticut where rebounding was an area of weakness.

Hopkins and the players said those were long rebounds that small, quick people should be able to run down. They blamed it on lack of effort and failure to box out. We'll see. Any time things don't work out, it's convenient to blame lack of effort.

PostPosted: 05/13/21 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
bluedevilaztecfan5 wrote:

Hopkins and the players said those were long rebounds that small, quick people should be able to run down. They blamed it on lack of effort and failure to box out. We'll see. Any time things don't work out, it's convenient to blame lack of effort.

I hope they keep the intensity up this season, we need it with our roster construction. From a rebounding perspective we can’t lack effort, hustle and boxing out.
Shows how important Sabrina is, she keeps players accountable on the court.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 67, 68, 69  Next
Page 34 of 69

Jump to: