RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Seattle Storm 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cooper2009

PostPosted: 05/11/21 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’ve always liked Gorecki, if not Seattle I hope she gets a shot elsewhere like Chicago or Dallas 🥴

PostPosted: 05/11/21 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cooper2009 wrote:
I’ve always liked Gorecki, if not Seattle I hope she gets a shot elsewhere like Chicago or Dallas 🥴

I don't remember her in college. Can she defend?

Stormeo

PostPosted: 05/11/21 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Cooper2009 wrote:

I admittedly don't know if she can straight-up defend, but fwiw, she averaged over two steals per game and over 6.5 boards per game in both her junior & senior seasons at Duke. If nothing else, that shows hustle & maybe even physicality. She would seem to have more defensive potential than her prior Duke wing-shooter counterparts (Rebecca Greenwell, Tricia Liston, etc.).

She has made things really interesting here with regards to making the roster. Like I posted a few days ago, she seems to be surprising people in camp with her skill level. There is certainly a place in this League for guards who can shoot with a do-it-all type of background.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 05/12/21 5:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ty Young was waived and Natalie Kucowski.

I hope Talbot makes the team. I think she can play multiple positions for us.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
ucbart

PostPosted: 05/12/21 6:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Cooper2009 wrote:

I admittedly don't know if she can straight-up defend, but fwiw, she averaged over two steals per game and over 6.5 boards per game in both her junior & senior seasons at Duke. If nothing else, that shows hustle & maybe even physicality. She would seem to have more defensive potential than her prior Duke wing-shooter counterparts (Rebecca Greenwell, Tricia Liston, etc.).

She has made things really interesting here with regards to making the roster. Like I posted a few days ago, she seems to be surprising people in camp with her skill level. There is certainly a place in this League for guards who can shoot with a do-it-all type of background.

She also played at Duke under Coach P., where talent went to never reach potential. Gorecki has talent and if she'd gone to most other P5 schools, would've been much better positioned for a W career.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 05/12/21 8:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
She also played at Duke under Coach P., where talent went to never reach potential. Gorecki has talent and if she'd gone to most other P5 schools, would've been much better positioned for a W career.

Actually, Gorecki was one of the few players who developed under Coach P.

Coming out of high school, these were Gorecki's rankings:
#43 - All Star Girls Report
#46 - Blue Star Report
#48 - Prospects Nation
#53 - Dan Olson Collegiate Girls Basketball Report

At Duke, Gorecki turned into an all-around player. She was not efficient (in part because of the offensive schemes -- or lack thereof -- that McCallie ran), but, as a junior, she became the first Blue Devil to lead their team in points (17.2), rebounds (7.1) and assists (3.9). As a senior, she was the only power five conference player nationally to average over 18.0 points, 6.5 rebounds, 4.0 assists and 2.0 steals.

Gorecki's best skill is her work ethic. She will do whatever it takes to help her team win, irrespective of whether the ball is in her hands.

That being said, she does not really do anything at a WNBA level. Again, being a hard worker is admirable, but she does not have elite athleticism, she is not a great sniper from distance (though having screens would help, something McCallie refused to regularly run for her), and she will struggle at creating off the dribble against bigger and quicker players.

She is the epitome of someone having a wonderful college career, and she was one of the very few players who improved tremendously under McCallie (relative to high school recruiting ratings). I would love to see her make a WNBA roster, by sheer force of her work ethic and determination.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 05/12/21 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
That being said, she does not really do anything at a WNBA level. Again, being a hard worker is admirable, but she does not have elite athleticism, she is not a great sniper from distance (though having screens would help, something McCallie refused to regularly run for her), and she will struggle at creating off the dribble against bigger and quicker players.

Dan Hughes did call her "an incredible shooter" who's "surprised when it doesn't go in." Sure enough, in the two preseason games, she shot 5-7 3PT. It would seem that she has addressed the sniper part with a vengeance. Smile And really, her shooting percentages was imo the one thing that held her back from getting drafted higher last year, since as you pointed out, she does everything else very well. McCallie imo also did Gorecki a disservice by making her the first-option lead guard in her latter two years – a move that hurt her efficiency, as she's really more of an off-guard.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 05/12/21 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Talbot's stats in Australia are impressive...in the same way that Kelsey Griffin's stats in Australia were impressive .

In the WNBA, in the games that I've seen her play in, she has always looked out of place, and a step (or two) slower than every other player on the court. I won't be mad if she makes the team, but as far as skill, athleticism and longevity I like Burke and actually Gorecki (I've always been a believer) better.

PostPosted: 05/13/21 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Talbot's stats in Australia are impressive...in the same way that Kelsey Griffin's stats in Australia were impressive .

In the WNBA, in the games that I've seen her play in, she has always looked out of place, and a step (or two) slower than every other player on the court. I won't be mad if she makes the team, but as far as skill, athleticism and longevity I like Burke and actually Gorecki (I've always been a believer) better.

Totally agree about Burke & Gorecki. Burke would be an elite player imo if she had a consistent 3PT shot, but she can still get it done on offense. If this organization can help her further develop her outside shooting, look out.

Talbot was named MVP of the WNBL this past season (although it wasn’t without controversy in & of itself). I’m fine with seeing if she has actually improved her game enough to where it’s noticeable here in the W. We did technically trade a fan-favorite away in exchange for Talbot, too, so I’d like to see her dynamic on the team play itself out. And we’ll need some extra SF coverage for when Samuelson leaves town, but after that, I wouldn’t be too shocked or upset if we were to let Talbot go (unless she’s playing well, maybe).

What we can’t do is cut Talbot and keep Laksa (optional full-stop here Wink ) with the idea of playing Laksa at the 3. She’s just not physically cut out to be a 3, despite her height. That’s where Gorecki comes into play, as she has enough physicality & versatility to her game to where imo she could play spot minutes at the 3, as well as spot minutes at the 1 if absolutely necessary. That’s one thing Gorecki & Kiana Williams have over Laksa & Talbot, is their honest ability to play multiple positions – which is something many teams including this one have prioritized lately in the era of “Positionless basketball” lol.

craigmont

PostPosted: 05/13/21 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kiana Williams is 5'8" 135. What other position is she gonna play?

Stormeo

PostPosted: 05/13/21 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:

If you didn’t watch her at Stanford, she clearly played both on the ball (PG) and off the ball (SG) this past season. And in the W, some teams have undersized SGs on their roster if those players have the shooting ability to compensate for their lack of size. (Las Vegas’ Riquna Williams at 5’7 is a prime example of this.) Hell, we’ve seen the Storm trot out a Canada-Bird-Loyd lineup from time to time, where Bird isn’t much bigger than Williams.

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/13/21 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
craigmont wrote:

If you didn’t watch her at Stanford, she clearly played both on the ball (PG) and off the ball (SG) this past season. And in the W, some teams have undersized SGs on their roster if those players have the shooting ability to compensate for their lack of size. (Las Vegas’ Riquna Williams at 5’7 is a prime example of this.) Hell, we’ve seen the Storm trot out a Canada-Bird-Loyd lineup from time to time.

That reminds me of the recent Mike Petersen quote about Carter, Williams, McDonald, and Sims, "We have four point-guard-sized humans." But he argued they could play together in various combinations.

PostPosted: 05/13/21 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
craigmont wrote:

If you didn’t watch her at Stanford, she clearly played both on the ball (PG) and off the ball (SG) this past season. And in the W, some teams have undersized SGs on their roster if those players have the shooting ability to compensate for their lack of size. (Las Vegas’ Riquna Williams at 5’7 is a prime example of this.) Hell, we’ve seen the Storm trot out a Canada-Bird-Loyd lineup from time to time.

That reminds me of the recent Mike Petersen quote about Carter, Williams, McDonald, and Sims, "We have four point-guard-sized humans." But he argued they could play together in various combinations.

It’s one thing to have 4 PG-sized humans, and quite another to win with 4 PG-sized humans.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
root_thing

PostPosted: 05/13/21 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
root_thing wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
craigmont wrote:

It’s one thing to have 4 PG-sized humans, and quite another to win with 4 PG-sized humans.

What about four point-guard-sized Martians?

PostPosted: 05/13/21 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seattle Storm suspended the contract of Mercedes Russell»Temporary
Seattle Storm suspended the contract of Epiphanny Prince»Temporary

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/13/21 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

I guess this gives them an opportunity to actually see MHH before waiving her.

- Amanda Gorman
lynxmania

PostPosted: 05/13/21 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Shades wrote:

Williams should be the one cut.

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/13/21 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Shades wrote:

They both may be. Some two anyway. Also depends on if they have any concern about their PG situation next year. It's unlikely both Bird and Canada will be there...and maybe neither. Meanwhile they still have the logjam at the three with Talbot, Gorecki, MHH, KLS, and Burke. How many SF's do you need?

Michelle89

PostPosted: 05/13/21 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
lynxmania wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Shades wrote:

They both may be. Some two anyway. Also depends on if they have any concern about their PG situation next year. It's unlikely both Bird and Canada will be there...and maybe neither. Meanwhile they still have the logjam at the three with Talbot, Gorecki, MHH, KLS, and Burke. How many SF's do you need?

Why do you think that?

Gorecki has been waived. Talbot can also play some minutes at the 2, if we keep Kiki then she and KLS needs to also play minutes at the PF spot. Im not a fan of Kiki so IMO they should waive her

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/13/21 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They're at 13, so they'll only have to cut one when Prince and Russell are available. Although by that time Samuelson may well have left, so it could be quite a while before they actually have to cut anyone.

PostPosted: 05/13/21 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think if Bird is back at max next year, they won't be able to afford Canada who will be looking for a big salary increase, like Whitcomb did. OTOH if Bird retires, Seattle should be able to afford to keep her. So it's fairly likely one or the other will be there, but very unlikely both will be.

I don't think Seattle has waived Gorecki, at least not that I've seen. They waived Laksa, right? edit: ok, I see they waived Gorecki as well.

Last edited by myrtle on 05/13/21 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
lynxmania

PostPosted: 05/13/21 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I think if Bird is back at max next year, they won't be able to afford Canada who will be looking for a big salary increase, like Whitcomb did. OTOH if Bird retires, Seattle should be able to afford to keep her. So it's fairly likely one or the other will be there, but very unlikely both will be.

I don't think Seattle has waived Gorecki, at least not that I've seen. They waived Laksa, right?

They waived both.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/13/21 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laksa, Gorecki and Jones all gone. So pretty much the expected roster, to be honest.

PostPosted: 05/13/21 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seattle

Bird/Canada/Williams
Loyd/Prince
KLS/Talbot
Dupree/Magbegor/MHH
Stewart/Russell

Shades

PostPosted: 05/13/21 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Seattle

Bird/Canada/Williams
Loyd/Prince
KLS/Talbot
Dupree/Magbegor/MHH
Stewart/Russell

Here’s what I got, especially early on. Maybe things will shift with time.
Magbegor has been in camp, no excuses, and seems to be clicking. She’s starting opening day.

Bird/Canada
Loyd/Prince/KWilliams
Stewart/Talbot
Dupree/Samuelson/Herbert Harrigan
Magbegor/Russell

If Magbegor does start, I’d like to know sooner than later.
If she starts, I’ll bet on her in DFS.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 20 of 26

Jump to: